Poll - Would you sell Morelos if it meant Rangers signing 3-4 ‘quality signings’ this summer?

Would you sell Morelos if it meant getting in 3-4 ‘quality’ signings

• Yes

Votes: 844 89.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 5.9%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 30 3.2%
  • Who is Morelos?

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Strange view. Tav is instrumental to our attacking play & tbh we didn't really miss Morelos that much when he was out at the end there.

And we missed him in a huge way when he was out and the games weren’t dead rubber.

I suspect we’d have beaten those sides comfortably if it was Morelos staying in the team and Tav sitting out.

Easily.

We play better football with Defoe and Arfield as our front 2. Morelos absolutely does not dummy it for the second goal against the mhanks.

Morelos is a fantastic footballer and his performances have absolutely lifted us and his goals are invaluable but we’d be stupid to not cash in and reinvest.

And we missed him in a huge way when he was out and the games weren’t dead rubber.

I suspect we’d have beaten those sides comfortably if it was Morelos staying in the team and Tav sitting out.
It's a fair assessment that they were pretty much meaningless games but there's no getting away from the fact it was our most consistent spell of good football all season.

I love Morelos & obviously think he brings a lot to the table but I feel Tav is more important a player for us overall. That's without taking the liability issues into consideration either.

I think Morelos is a great wee player - however, he can't keep the head here in Scotland. Far too easy to wind up and will get caught out far too often. That's not to say he wouldn't flourish in another country away from the goldfish bowl in Glasgow. So, that we means to me we can still command a decent fee for him but I'd rather we replace him with a couple of other quality players.

Easily.

We play better football with Defoe and Arfield as our front 2. Morelos absolutely does not dummy it for the second goal against the mhanks.

Morelos is a fantastic footballer and his performances have absolutely lifted us and his goals are invaluable but we’d be stupid to not cash in and reinvest.
Unfortunately we didn’t play the same way, maybe if we didn’t leave Morelos so isolated and pushed Arfield further up in support then things would have looked a little bit different in some people’s warped minds.

It's a fair assessment that they were pretty much meaningless games but there's no getting away from the fact it was our most consistent spell of good football all season.

I love Morelos & obviously think he brings a lot to the table but I feel Tav is more important a player for us overall. That's without taking the liability issues into consideration either.

Yeah but when you’ve got Morelos out of the side for extended spells twice, first time was during competitive games and we were hopeless, second time was during dead rubber games and we won. It paints a pretty clear picture as I think it’s unfair on Morelos to brush that fact aside to imply we were as good or better without him.

it's fairly obvious that the majority would take the cash and reinvest in 3 maybe 4 players , the football market is also obviously mental but with Alfredos disciplinary record do the board think we will get anywhere near the no less than 20million some posters are quoting , I think not but really hope I'm wrong

Unfortunately we didn’t play the same way, maybe if we didn’t leave Morelos so isolated and pushed Arfield further up in support then things would have looked a little bit different in some people’s warped minds.

Fucking hell mate take a chill pill.

Morelos is a greedy striker, most of the greatest strikers are. That is a fact.

Yeah but when you’ve got Morelos out of the side for extended spells twice, first time was during competitive games and we were hopeless, second time was during dead rubber games and we won. It paints a pretty clear picture as I think it’s unfair on Morelos to brush that fact aside to imply we were as good or better without him.
The first time he was out Davis & Defoe were nowhere up to speed & we were also still really experimenting with our shape. IIRC we had fat Flannigan at LB too. It's kind of an apples & oranges comparison really.

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying I want rid of him. Just out of him & Tav I think Tav would be the bigger loss as we stand just now.

It's a no brainer: of course. He is generally less important to the team than many people assume.

We dropped points in 15 games this season. Morelos played in 12 of those games. Suggesting that we suffered for his absence is really a rather odd manipulation of data.

Question essentially boils down to 'would you sell Morelos if it meant having a better chance to win the league'. Anyone voting anything but yes needs looked at.

100% yes.
He has shown that he has great potential and can score goals.
But he likes to play on his own, and from performances cannot play as a dual strike role.
As far as his disciplinary record shows, he is unreliable, although he has been grossly unfairly treated at times by officials, and certainly by opposing players, ie McKenna, Brown etc.
If a fantastic offer came in, 15 - 20 M, it must, reluctantly, be taken by the board, as we could buy 3-4 quality( for our league) players to augment our challenge for 55,

It's a no brainer: of course. He is generally less important to the team than many people assume.

We dropped points in 15 games this season. Morelos played in 12 of those games. Suggesting that we suffered for his absence is really a rather odd manipulation of data.

Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel and fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.

For me he has to go now.
Sadly, Kevin Clancy is such a pathetic excuse of a man he has tried to use Morelos to make a name for himself and bullied him out of his place of work.
It's best for Morelos he moves on and finds a club where he will be treated fairly without bias or bigotry.

Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel and fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.
Some people seem to be glossing over how inconsistent the majority of the team was back then too. Since then Arfield, Davis, Kent, Flannagan (to name a few) have been putting in much more consistent & direct performances. Not to mention teams had us sussed that if they push us out wide & packed the box then we were toothless.
It's no secret we relied on him way too much back then.

Some people seem to be glossing over how inconsistent the majority of the team was back then too. Since then Arfield, Davis, Kent, Flannagan (to name a few) have been putting in much more consistent & direct performances. Not to mention teams had us sussed that if they push us out wide & packed the box then we were toothless.
It's no secret we relied on him way too much back then.

Yeah but the root cause of the change in consistency is the fact one block of games were played with nothing to play for, that was mostly the case for all the opposition we played too. It’s something people are only too happy to overlook because they won’t forgive the player for the piggery red card. Either that or they’re just very naive and will get a wee shock when we start the new season and aren’t blowing teams away.

Yeah but the root cause of the change in consistency is the fact one block of games were played with nothing to play for, that was mostly the case for all the opposition we played too. It’s something people are only too happy to overlook because they won’t forgive the player for the piggery red card. Either that or they’re just very naive and will get a wee shock when we start the new season and aren’t blowing teams away.

We'll see next season if what you're saying is right enough regarding competitive games. I'd say it's a fair amount of conjecture rather than concrete fact though.
FWIW I also think people are going overboard wrt his temperament. That card against them was very harsh & if it was a red, Brown should have been off too. He's clearly being judged to a different set of rules.

All the players have a price tag and if someone comes along and offers silly money then the player goes.

We need to keep upgrading players so it’s a no brainier we take the cash

Let’s hope we can get some serious cash in so we can spend

There are a few who need to go one way or the other. The underachievers who are a drain on the resources

Ditch a proven ~30 goals a season striker for 3 or 4 undefined players in undefined positions..?

Amazed that the vast majority have bought into that.

My question would be are the two options mutually exclusive, and if so why? And think really carefully about that before you answer.

Who’s the 5% who said no???

We need a reality check over Alfredo. Yes he’s good, but he’s far from being great! Yes he’s young but he’s a suspension waiting to happen!

Personally I’d cash in if we can get anything over £10m
I don't rate him,I don't trust him and I don't believe he is a team player, gladly see the back of him and his attitude for any price

We'll see next season if what you're saying is right enough regarding competitive games. I'd say it's a fair amount of conjecture rather than concrete fact though.
FWIW I also think people are going overboard wrt his temperament. That card against them was very harsh & if it was a red, Brown should have been off too. He's clearly being judged to a different set of rules.

I understand why people were angry at him, he let everyone down. But far too many have just jumped on the media bandwagon. Fact is he’s still refereed to a different set of rules, so is Brown, only for him it works in the opposite way in that he can do whatever he likes without repercussion.

Last edited:
I understand why people were angry at him, he let everyone down. But far too many have just jumped on the media bandwagon. Fact is he’s still referred to a different set of rules, so is Brown, only for him it works in the opposite way in that he can do whatever he likes without repercussion.
That scunners me too. The vast majority of his cards have been unwarranted or very soft. Tav being a terrible defender is another media fallacy they love to spout. It maybe had more truth ages ago but it's rare he makes a blatant defensive error these days (obviously other than just being caught OOP). It's all the more frustrating when it's bears repeating this stuff.

What’s disappointing is that the fuckers who have been trying to drive him out of Scotland are not only succeeding, but have managed to con a significant number of us into going along with it too.

The temperament issue is up to Gerrard to sort out. That’s part of his job. He’s indicated he finds it a frustration at times, but not once has he given up on Alfie.

Putting that to one side, and recognising the media and Scottish football in general have massively played on it, what we still have is a 22yo, 30 goals a season international striker. Why in the name of %^*& are we falling over ourselves to get rid of him? Yes I understand how the ‘model’ works now for us but are people forgetting that crucial part of the players we’re developing actually winning things for us too?

If Alfie helps fire us to 55 this season then he’ll go with my blessing. Trying to achieve that without him and bringing in this supposed three or four quality players that are unknown quantities in Rangers shirts is to my mind at least as big a gamble as keeping him.

Back