Poll - Would you sell Morelos if it meant Rangers signing 3-4 ‘quality signings’ this summer?

Would you sell Morelos if it meant getting in 3-4 ‘quality’ signings

• Yes

Votes: 844 89.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 5.9%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 30 3.2%
  • Who is Morelos?

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What’s disappointing is that the fuckers who have been trying to drive him out of Scotland are not only succeeding, but have managed to con a significant number of us into going along with it too.

The temperament issue is up to Gerrard to sort out. That’s part of his job. He’s indicated he finds it a frustration at times, but not once has he given up on Alfie.

Putting that to one side, and recognising the media and Scottish football in general have massively played on it, what we still have is a 22yo, 30 goals a season international striker. Why in the name of %^*& are we falling over ourselves to get rid of him? Yes I understand how the ‘model’ works now for us but are people forgetting that crucial part of the players we’re developing actually winning things for us too?

If Alfie helps fire us to 55 this season then he’ll go with my blessing. Trying to achieve that without him and bringing in this supposed three or four quality players that are unknown quantities in Rangers shirts is to my mind at least as big a gamble as keeping him.
The problem we have now is that unless the club come out in his defence, it's only going to get worse. The refs know the media will back any decisions against him.

Just another example of the game up here hating itself to death, doing everything they can to push a player with talent out of the league purely because he plays for Rangers. Then you get them banging on about it being a physical league... aye, only when it's their favoured team is it allowed to be a physical game.

I'm away for a can of juice. I'm done for the night.

Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel of fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.

To overstate the significance of his loss from the team is to ignore some of the abysmal games we played when he did feature.

Some of the performances and results in games against Livingston (1-0 defeat in which we were never scoring); Hamilton (4-1 victory but the most turgid game of football all season); St Mirren (opening goal a botched cross); most games against Aberdeen; the three draws against Hibs; the draws and defeats to Killie - Morelos featured in all of these. And that's before you feature in six consecutive wins on the bounce all achieved without him, a set of results that I know you're keen to undermine but which only one of which can be fully discounted (Killie 2-1 defeat).

It's tempting to cite the draws with Dundee and St Johnstone (and ignore the two wins against Hamilton, only one of which was awful) as evidence of suffering without him, but the simple fact of the matter is that these results were the norm for much of last season. Really fascinatingly, we didn't lose any of these either.

Sorry, but the matches both with and without him doesn't show much deviation either in terms of performance or result.

Twist, after that last red card in OF game at the chamber of secrets I was done.

Yep, this combined with the new formation which is getting the most out of Davis, Defoe and Arfield I can see a hefty investment into three or four quality players being the way forward.

I love Alfie, but he's a target up here and there is a huge circus around him every week. I don't think the wee man can be enjoying it, it's best for all for him to move on.

I'd like to add I think he's our best player, it's more weighing up the value of one player versus three or four quality additions and I think the latter is better for the team.

Think posters on here are being a bit optimistic about how much rangers would get for him. The fact that he plays in a poor league, his disciplinary behaviour will not help in negotiating a good fee. Can't blame all his behaviour on the refs and media in this country,although I agree it's been out of order,but as the earlier poster said,that sending off in Russia had nothing to do with that and could have cost the club a few quid

Several have pointed out that we struggled badly whenever Morelos was suspended with notable exception of his last absence. That is undeniable. However we can't allow ourselves to get in that situation again. If we can get decent money for him then sell and make additions which strengthen the overall quality of the squad. Play to a system which isn't so highly reliable on a single player. Morelos will, I believe, continue to miss many games through suspension never mind potentially through injury too. Great player when he is on the park. Massive liability when he can't control his discipline.

Last edited:
To overstate the significance of his loss from the team is to ignore some of the abysmal games we played when he did feature.

Some of the performances and results in games against Livingston (1-0 defeat in which we were never scoring); Hamilton (4-1 victory but the most turgid game of football all season); St Mirren (opening goal a botched cross); most games against Aberdeen; the three draws against Hibs; the draws and defeats to Killie - Morelos featured in all of these. And that's before you feature in six consecutive wins on the bounce all achieved without him, a set of results that I know you're keen to undermine but which only one of which can be fully discounted (Killie 2-1 defeat).

It's tempting to cite the draws with Dundee and St Johnstone (and ignore the two wins against Hamilton, only one of which was awful) as evidence of suffering without him, but the simple fact of the matter is that these results were the norm for much of last season. Really fascinatingly, we didn't lose any of these either.

Sorry, but the matches both with and without him doesn't show much deviation either in terms of performance or result.
Thank you my thoughts exactly and I get tortured for them in cf1

If Ojo, Kent and Aribo sign - what position are these 3/4 players coming for?

If one is just replacing Morelos, I would rather keep Morelos (as he would be 3-4 times better than his replacement - based on value).

If we get a left back, get it with the money we get for Barisic.

If those 3 sign, we essentially need a centre half. Rudden, Hardie and Stewart can all easily replace Lafferty; and keeping Morelos (and Kent), and adding Ojo would be great.

If those 3 sign (like for £0 outlay), just get a centre half and we’re done.

Most definitely. 3/4 quality signings?? I'd sell him for two assured high quality signings, "assured" being the key word. We don't have luxury of trial and error at this stage.

It’s safe to assume the Ojo, Kent and Aribo offers are not contingent on selling Morelos.

Pick 3 from: Aribo, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Rossiter, McCrorie, Docherty.

Pick 2 from: Murphy, Ojo, Kent, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Candeias.

Pick 1 from: Morelos, Defoe.

That is fine. We need a centre half. We could take any of the half a dozen Chelsea loan out every season and he would be our best. If you want a left back, you pay it with whatever money comes for Barisic.

There’s potentially room for a squad level centre half and squad level striker, but that’s puny money.

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Kalas (loan), Barisic/new; Kamara, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Subs: Foderingham, Flanagan, Katic, Jack, Ojo, Murphy, Defoe.

Not even a bench spot for Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Halliday, Hastie, Docherty, Candeias etc.

I want that more than I want to gamble on 3 or 4 and downgrade on Morelos. More so because I don’t see where they fit and I don’t see how a more bloated squad helps us.

It’s safe to assume the Ojo, Kent and Aribo offers are not contingent on selling Morelos.

Pick 3 from: Aribo, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Rossiter, McCrorie, Docherty.

Pick 2 from: Murphy, Ojo, Kent, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Candeias.

Pick 1 from: Morelos, Defoe.

That is fine. We need a centre half. We could take any of the half a dozen Chelsea loan out every season and he would be our best. If you want a left back, you pay it with whatever money comes for Barisic.

There’s potentially room for a squad level centre half and squad level striker, but that’s puny money.

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Kalas (loan), Barisic/new; Kamara, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Subs: Foderingham, Flanagan, Katic, Jack, Ojo, Murphy, Defoe.

Not even a bench spot for Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Halliday, Hastie, Docherty, Candeias etc.

I want that more than I want to gamble on 3 or 4 and downgrade on Morelos. More so because I don’t see where they fit and I don’t see how a more bloated squad helps us.
I'd take a good quality bosman for CH to challenge Goldson and Katic,then a lesser option as 4th choice.Two similar to maybe Suchy and Tilt.
Ideally I want someone like Koljic to replace Morelos,and an attacking wide player who gets goals like Peterson.

I reckon you could get those two attacking players for half of the money we should get for Morelos with the CH's costing nothing bar maybe a signing on fee to entice Suchy.
Not big names but the right types of player I would suggest.

As long as the fee is right I would sell Morelos?

Why?

I enjoyed watching us far more without him in the team. When he is playing, big games especially, you are constantly on edge every tackle he goes into.

He had a fair shot and blew it wide
giphy.gif

As much as I like Morelos,I would still sell. His own lack of discipline, and the way he is targeted by referees and "plastic hardmen" in the Spfl, makes it a must sell situation for me.
A quality striker to replace him, and another central defender to be signed.

I would keep Alfie and sell Tav.
Few quality players for Tav.

Nae, nae and thrice nae.

If it’s a choice selling one or the other for really big money, it has to be Morelos first.

Of course, all of this would depend on who we bought and whether or not one of them was a guaranteed 30 goals a season type player

I love Alfredo as a player. However I don't trust his temperament. I am in nettles every time he gets involved with the opposition and referees. He was borderline in the last game vs Kilmarnock just after returning from a long suspension. My instinct is to sell him providing we get an appropriate fee and replacement.

no brainer he made it clear in the winter window that he wanted to leave, no single player is bigger than the club, get the money in and get him to f**k it's should be a privilege for players to play for our club

Sorry to get off track for a moment …but watching Scott Arfield starring in Canada’s trouncing of Martinque in the Conacaf Cup? Scoring an absolute peach!

Now there is a guy enjoying his football and for me could be instrumental in getting us to 55 next year!

The reason I bring this up was he was also inspirational and instrumental in us winning the last 6-7 games of last season in a system that I would love to see us starting with this season.
A formation that didn’t include Morelos but had us playing arguably some of the best team football in years!

Now the questions for me are:-

1/ if Morelos stays is ……can Gerrard tame him for one and get him to screw the nut or …has has his ‘card’ been marked now after last season by every referree in the SPFL?
2/ Could Gerrard get him to adapt and play in this formation and if so are we yet still to see the best of Alfredo Morelos?

The numbers obviously aren't comparable, but if you make an analogy with Liverpool's selling of Coutinho - a decision that ended up making Liverpool a better team - it worked out for them because they knew and had identified the players they were going to sign with the Coutinho fee, as opposed to just 'shopping around' with the cash windfall.

If Gerrard had a fee in mind for Morelos that would trigger his release, and had identified exactly who he was going to bring in using the transfer money, assuming that he was certain they would significantly upgrade the Rangers team — then of course he should. But only after due diligence has been carried out by manager and coaching staff

Think posters on here are being a bit optimistic about how much rangers would get for him. The fact that he plays in a poor league, his disciplinary behaviour will not help in negotiating a good fee. Can't blame all his behaviour on the refs and media in this country,although I agree it's been out of order,but as the earlier poster said,that sending off in Russia had nothing to do with that and could have cost the club a few quid
The mhedia are already touting Nitcham as going for £12m, if that’s the case Alfie is worth £30m

no brainer he made it clear in the winter window that he wanted to leave, no single player is bigger than the club, get the money in and get him to f**k it's should be a privilege for players to play for our club
With you on that......get rid,not here for the benefit of our club...doesn't accept he had chance after chance and still behaves like a brat.....get rid

Read somewhere saying Morelos will only go to a team that will be playing Champions League football next season?

If true that may put the kibosh on selling him to say …Newcastle

It has also been said that if Morelos stays there could be very few ‘quality’ signings this summer
(‘Quality signings’ A phrase our manager used himself.)

Which again may only be paper talk …

So …should Gerrard ‘stick or twist’ with ‘Alfie’ knowing how big a season this is?

Update_ It seems overwhelmingly that most would sanction Alfie’s sale if it meant that 3-4 ‘quality signings’ were brought in
Maybe the follow up to this should be ………

Do you think Gerrard would sanction this under these circumstances if this sale allowed him to bring in these ‘quality signings’ he says we need …

Or

Will he try and resist any forth coming offers (if there are any) and build the forward line again around Morelos?
Sell him because he’s a liability . When it really really mattered he was posted missing . Sell him

I'd agree with that too. I do like Morelos and he is important to our team but I think for the money we'd get from a potential sale we could make the team better overall with those signings.
I dont think £15million would be an unacheivable figure to get for Alfredo and the quality we could buy if it all went back into the team would undoubtedly improve our team massively, when at present we are not a million miles off competing. I would say we need to replace a good percentage of his goals with that money though if possible, which would not be easy, but still i think it would push us close to 55, so no brainer from me!

Yes. If it meant adding more quality throughout as opposed to relying on one player then it would make sense.

Back