Portsmouth converting mccrorie to a right back

He’s played there once for them and the gaffer has said he might need to fill in there every now and again, what’s the big deal?

Anyone who genuinely thinks that Pompey will try to retrain a loan player in a ‘different’ position without asking the parent club is, quite frankly, off their fucking chump.

Pretty comfortable with this possibility. I’m not sure he has enough variety in his talents to be a central midfielder, not sure he will ever be good enough at centre back, but right back may just suit all of his skills.

I think the people who are "siding" with Pompey are mental.

We loaned them a defensive mid to get game time at defensive mid. They cannot decide our player is now a right back.

Sure they may have discussed using him there with our club.

And they may only be doing it as a stop gap.

These are fine

But he is our player, they have a loan of him. We should keep an eye on this as a club and if it is not the scenario above then we should recall him in Jan if we included that option and loan him to a club who will give him matches in the position in which we want him to develop.

We loaned them a defensive mid to get game time at defensive mid. They cannot decide our player is now a right back.

These are fine

But he is our player, they have a loan of him. We should keep an eye on this as a club and if it is not the scenario above then we should recall him in Jan if we included that option and loan him to a club who will give him matches in the position in which we want him to develop.

While he’s on loan he’s their player to use as they see fit.

While he’s on loan he’s their player to use as they see fit.

Round of applause on not reading the post in full!

They can play at silly buggers, if they do I would expect us to recall him and send him somewhere who will help develop him as we desire.

Then the arrogant "we can do as we see fit " will backfire spectacularly. Not sure how people cant see this.

Yes, Pompey can take the nob head stance if they desire. I would expect us to recall him asap and send him somewhere else if... if... they are not playing ball with us.

I dont believe its as simple as we do what we like when he is on loan. Thats why clubs have things such as penalties if players dont play enough. And developing the player in a position other than that which the parent club has him earmarked for would be an extension of this. You may not be able to penalise them per se for that. But you can certainly recall the player asap and never loan them players again.

So it would be dumb. f - in dumb of pompey to have such an arrogant and short minded stance.

Couldn’t give a toss if he was in goals as long as he plays every week. Mind don’t think his bro would be happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't to a loan with an option to buy at the end of the season. If so the likelihood is he will not be returning I'd have thought?

Edit : Just seen that there's no pre agreed fee.

Last edited:

They can play at silly buggers, if they do I would expect us to recall him and send him somewhere who will help develop him as we desire.

Then the arrogant "we can do as we see fit " will backfire spectacularly. Not sure how people cant see this.

Yes, Pompey can take the nob head stance if they desire. I would expect us to recall him asap and send him somewhere else if... if... they are not playing ball with us.

I dont believe its as simple as we do what we like when he is on loan. Thats why clubs have things such as penalties if players dont play enough. And developing the player in a position other than that which the parent club has him earmarked for would be an extension of this. You may not be able to penalise them per se for that. But you can certainly recall the player asap and never loan them players again.

So it would be dumb. f - in dumb of pompey to have such an arrogant and short minded stance.

Round of applause on posting a pile of shite. If they had an agreement with us to only play him in midfield they wouldn’t be playing him at right back, and I have no clue why you see them using him in that position as some sort of show of arrogance, are you on the sauce?

While he’s on loan they can use him as they see fit, that’s why he’ll continue to play down there and that’s why he won’t be recalled. End of story pal.

Some one has a different perspective to me, must be drinking.

You are not even worth conversing with.

I watched the game he came on as sub and I thought he was playing right wing.
If it works then what’s the problem? I always wanted him back in at centre half and still think that would be his best position.

He's not big enough to be a CB.

Game time is what he needs. Richard Gough played most of the early part of his career at right back and he turned into a pretty decent central defender.

Hey mate, %^*& off with the 'arrogance' shite.

McCrorie started off in midfield, but got himself sent off. During his suspension, Andy Cannon came in and performed, so he, rightly, kept his place, whilst McCrorie was on the bench. McCrorie came on for Anton Walkes against Sunderland, who was having a nightmare at right back, and performed well there, so there's a good chance he'll start there in the next game (which is tonight), possibly in midfield.

Its not arrogance, or short minded FFS. The only 'arrogance' around this is from posts like yours. McCrorie will get games, but he is not an automatic start. Bet you'd be whinging if a loanee at Ibrox, say a Worrall from last season, was guaranteed a start in certain positions to the detriment of one of Rangers permanent signings, or the team as a whole. Don't be a twat.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCrorie is NOT a Tavernier.

McCrorie is, however, a Flanagan.
He's got the athleticism to be more of a forward threat that Flanagan, seems like a waste though doesn't it when you consider he bossed the Lego eater not so long back

These are fine

It seems as though Gerrard trusts Kenny Jackett and his football philosophy so can't envisage any cancelling of the loan, Pompey could play up to 60 games this season. Ross will play a huge number at Centre Midfield. Filling in at RB is surely better than sat on the bench for his development

McCrorie is NOT a Tavernier.

McCrorie is, however, a Flanagan.

McCrorie’s a much better footballer than Flanagan with the ball at his feet.

Can go past a man too, sent McGeady back to the shop at the weekend there with a wonderful bit of skill.

McCrorie’s a much better footballer than Flanagan with the ball at his feet.

Can go past a man too, sent McGeady back to the shop at the weekend there with a wonderful bit of skill.

Don't disagree but was more commenting on the type of fullback he could be.

It seems as though Gerrard trusts Kenny Jackett and his football philosophy so can't envisage any cancelling of the loan, Pompey could play up to 60 games this season. Ross will play a huge number at Centre Midfield. Filling in at RB is surely better than sat on the bench for his development
Under those circumstances I agree.

It's the idea promoted by others, not yourself, that Pompey could play him 60 games at RB and we would have no view on that and no right to have discussions with Pompey.

If, if, they played him predominantly as right back I would expect Gerard and Rangers to be talking to Pompey, if not ending the loan.

The idea that a player leaves his parent club and then they essentially have nothing to do with him, do not monitor his progress and ensure the loaning club are helping to develop said player in a way the parent club sees appropriate is fanciful

That's why, as an example, there are now things like break clauses and penalties if players dont play a certain number/percentage of games

There is no way there is not dialogue between the sides before the loan occurs and whilst it is ongoing.

Of course Rangers staff have no say in the game by game selection of the Pompey manager. But as I say, if he played only or mostly right back between now and xmas it would be foolish of our management team not to sound out alternative options for the 2nd half of the year (assuming we have that break clause).

McRorie wouldnt be the first player to be recalled and loaned out somewhere else.

As I said when I first commented here. This is all ifs and I expect the club to be monitoring the situation. If it is just a stop gap solution, no problem.

He's not technical enough to be a success in centre mid at a high level. Right back is a good compromise if he can adjust to it.

Under those circumstances I agree.

It's the idea promoted by others, not yourself, that Pompey could play him 60 games at RB and we would have no view on that and no right to have discussions with Pompey.

If, if, they played him predominantly as right back I would expect Gerard and Rangers to be talking to Pompey, if not ending the loan.

The idea that a player leaves his parent club and then they essentially have nothing to do with him, do not monitor his progress and ensure the loaning club are helping to develop said player in a way the parent club sees appropriate is fanciful

That's why, as an example, there are now things like break clauses and penalties if players dont play a certain number/percentage of games

There is no way there is not dialogue between the sides before the loan occurs and whilst it is ongoing.

Of course Rangers staff have no say in the game by game selection of the Pompey manager. But as I say, if he played only or mostly right back between now and xmas it would be foolish of our management team not to sound out alternative options for the 2nd half of the year (assuming we have that break clause).

McRorie wouldnt be the first player to be recalled and loaned out somewhere else.

As I said when I first commented here. This is all ifs and I expect the club to be monitoring the situation. If it is just a stop gap solution, no problem.
If you’re gony act the tadger about what rangers and Portsmouth should be doing at least spell mccrorie correctly

Rangers midfielder Ross McCrorie could be converted to a right-back by Portsmouth boss Kenny Jackett.

Pompey lost 2-1 to Sunderland on Saturday afternoon but Jackett was content with McCrorie's versatile performance from the bench.

So impressed, in fact, that he'd be willing to give McCrorie the opportunity to try and make the position his own - despite being a natural central player.
Portsmouth News report how Jackett said: "I wouldn’t be averse to using him at right-back again.

It will be interesting to see how he develops.

"There’s no reason why I wouldn’t. He’s got the attributes and the athleticism to do it.

"And he has the confidence to do it, whether it’s a new position or not."

And while he accepts that the Gers loan man has come in as a midfielder, he's certain McCrorie can do a job elsewhere for the good of the team.

He added: "He's come in as a midfield player but the red card means we’ve kept him out of the team for a couple of games and he’s now broken back in at right-back.

"That’s no problem because he’s a good player."
Playing right back again tonight by the look of it. Currently 1-1

He may well make a good right back but he isn't Tav.

Tav is someone who will get his fair share of goals plus a ridiculous amount of assists with stats a playmaker would be proud of.

Back