Portsmouth vs Oxford: Ross McCrorie Starts.

I would love the boy to get his chance he’s got the heart of a lion and sometimes that is what is needed
I’m biased as I would love to see true blues who know what it means to us as fans
I’m a dinosaur who loved tam Forsyth and jock Wallace so maybe I don’t get it

Not the first time McCrorie has been poor for Portsmouth at right back. Certainly don't think that is his best position.

Defensive minded midfielder or not at all IMO. Would love him to make the grade at Rangers but he's just not at that level and probably will never reach it.

He will carve a good career for himself down South.

When you look at his attributes how anyone sees him as a right back is beyond me tbh.

No offence to him, but I just don’t see him making it with us, the only position he’s useful in is at dm and even at that he’s not good enough in this position to be considered good enough for us.

mccrorie is never a right back in a million years, I’ve said plenty of times mental he’s being put in that role and should have left posh at Xmas
I think his attributes are perfectly suited to RWB/RB.

I can’t remember anyone ever saying he was a wonder kid/superstar.What I did see was a lot a of posters wanting him to do well at Rangers.

A whole plethora of people insisted he should have been a starter, future captain etc etc. For me, if he wasn’t one of us, people would be a lot more realistic about his ability and admit that he probably isn’t good enough for Rangers.

Last edited:
the majority of games he has played for Portsmouth has been at right back
The problem with him at RB is that RB's are extra attackers these days and Ross doesn't have the game for that. The second problem with him as a right back as we seen when he was a CH is he can't defend. I liked him as centre-mid and found he was unfairly dropped at times but unfortunately I think we have moved up a gear.

I’m not convinced he has the ability to become a main stay in our team. What I will say is I don’t think Gerrard done him any favours and you could argue he’s actually had a negative effect on him.

My reason for saying this is after the mentally challenged game at Ibrox in Gerrards first season he was motm and publicly told it was his position to lose ( rightly so ) fast forward a month and he’s dropped for Killie to fit in a unfit Steve Davis and basically not seen from there on in. Can’t be great for a young boys confidence

From the Peterborough Telegraph:

Posh are believed to want a fee in the region of £10 million for Toney who scored 26 goals in a shortened 2020-21 season. It’s understood they turned down an offer of £8 million in January from Championship promotion contenders Brentford who remain interested in the 24 year-old.

You wonder with Brentford’s recruitment policy why they would pay such an amount. They got Watkins for cheaper and he’ll be the next to move to the EPL for £20million plus before too long.

Living off 1 good performance at the piggery and needs to really over perform to even get back into a Euro squad of 24 . He's had a rough start to his career being hung out to dry as a centre half and I remember 1 performance where he cost us against Hamilton at Ibrox! and he has came back with more solid aggressive games in the middle of the park so there is scope for his resilience to turn it around, however I'd also take Gerrard's future captain quote with a pinch of salt as I remember him waxing lyrical about Rossiter in preseason but after an injury setback he got bombed straight out to the English 4th tier. Gerrard has no sentiment with these youngsters if they aren't performing when he needs them most and I wonder if his red card cast serious doubts

It was actually the manager who insisted he was a future captain. Regardless, why wouldn't the fans get excited about him given his outstanding performance against Celtic?

I still think there's a place for RM.

He clearly has attributes that our other midfielders don’t and have missed at times. But I don’t think that’ll be enough to for him to have a future at Rangers.
I’d hoped he’d have found a role screening the defence and breaking up play and giving the ball to players who are less likely to shank it into the Clyde. Agree with the post above that it would have been better to focus on developing him as a centre back.

Mcrorie played DM against the dhims and controlled the game he was immense this right back crap is killing his career

I always thought McCrorie should have been loaned out strictly as a centre half ideally next to an experienced guy to learn positional sense. He lacks enough creativity for midfield but has the potential for centre back. He’s strong fast and good in the air, and adequate enough on the deck. I still think another loan spell under those strict constraints may pay dividends as a last throw of the dice.

He's got enough physicality about him to play defensive midfield, but certainly not central defence.

When you looked at him compared to the central defenders on view last night, they were all about 6ft 4in and huge frames.
Ross is 6ft and more of an athletic frame, than a physical one.

If you notice at set pieces, he didn't even go up into the opposition box for the Pompey ones and was never marking any of the big Oxford lads when defending.

He'll never make a top central defender or full back.

DM or nothing for me.

I would love the boy to get his chance he’s got the heart of a lion and sometimes that is what is needed
I’m biased as I would love to see true blues who know what it means to us as fans
I’m a dinosaur who loved tam Forsyth and jock Wallace so maybe I don’t get it
Heart of a lion, but can’t pass the ball.
Fs folk got consistently tore into Halliday on how he was only playing because he was one of us and gave his all and that’s not good enough, Andy is and imo always will be miles better than Ross as a footballer

He’s out of his depth at right back, can’t cross the ball and was constantly out of position. We need to get him a loan where he’s guaranteed football as a DM/CM.

Don't think he's going to be a superstar for us but would we useful in certain scenarios at tough away venues or someone to bring on in the last 10-15 minutes to help see out a game

Mcrorie played DM against the dhims and controlled the game he was immense this right back crap is killing his career

He played well against them and broke up play, but I wouldn't say he controlled the game.

I've seen Kamara, Jack, Davis and Arfield totally control games against them in the past couple of seasons, but I don't think Ross has the technical ability to control games.

Heart of a lion, but can’t pass the ball.
Fs folk got consistently tore into Halliday on how he was only playing because he was one of us and gave his all and that’s not good enough, Andy is and imo always will be miles better than Ross as a footballer

I don't think anyone would doubt that Andy Halliday is a better technical footballer than Ross, mate.

Andy has a very good left foot on him and is a good passer and excellent striker of a ball.

Ross's biggest assets are his athleticism and when his team are out of possession, as his main strength is in winning back the ball.

I don't think anyone would doubt that Andy Halliday is a better technical footballer than Ross, mate.

Andy has a very good left foot on him and is a good passer and excellent striker of a ball.

Ross's biggest assets are his athleticism and when his team are out of possession, as his main strength is in winning back the ball.
At the level we want to be, you need to be good enough at both sides of the game (Ryan Jack for instance)
I’d love Ross to come in and be a Vieira for us but I think the guys ahead of him, who some deem not good enough, are so far ahead

He’s being wasted at RB and doesn’t look comfortable, I don’t understand why we’re allowing him to be played at RB instead of his natural midfield position very strange.

He’s being wasted at RB and doesn’t look comfortable, I don’t understand why we’re allowing him to be played at RB instead of his natural midfield position very strange.

He started playing DM for them, but then lost his place.

As it stands, he either plays RB or he doesn't get a game mate.

He started playing DM for them, but then lost his place.

As it stands, he either plays RB or he doesn't get a game mate.
Is that what our coaching staff are looking at mate going forward by trying to make Ross into a RB. The games I’ve seen him play he doesn’t look comfortable and I’m not sure he would be good enough for us in that position. Midfield was definitely his best position I’ve seen him play for us, I hope it works out for Ross.

Is that what our coaching staff are looking at mate going forward by trying to make Ross into a RB. The games I’ve seen him play he doesn’t look comfortable and I’m not sure he would be good enough for us in that position. Midfield was definitely his best position I’ve seen him play for us, I hope it works out for Ross.

No mate, I don't think they see him as a full back.

I think they hoped he would play regularly at DM for Pompey, but he lost his place and has been in and out the team at full back since.

Unfortunately Rangers can't dictate to Pompey the selection of their team.

It's a case of play full back or don't play at all.

Hopefully he gets another loan this season . I know he is not the tallest but I think CB is his best position. The times I have seen him play there he was a bit rash , hopefully this could be ironed out. He appears to have a good attitude and willing to learn.

No surprise, he looked completely out his depths at RB the other night.

He's not a RB nor is he a central defender as we've seen posted in the Katić thread recently.
I missed the game the other day, must admit I thought he could cope at RB but evidently not. Like I’ve said before I think he may end up suffering from to Phil Neville syndrome in not having a set position.

I missed the game the other day, must admit I thought could cover at RB but evidently not. Like I’ve said before I think he may end up suffering from to Phil Neville syndrome I’m not having a set position.

Phil Neville was a decent player who made near on 700 appearances between Manchester United and Everton (captained as well) along with near on 60 caps for England.

Ross is a good lad and we'd all hope that he would have come good for us. But I think we have to be openly honest and say that he doesn't have a future at Rangers. His level simply isn't up to what we require.

He's not a kid any more and needs to start getting regular first team football - that's clearly not going to be with us and not even for someone like Pompey. I'm sure he'll find a club somewhere, settle down and make a name for himself.

Phil Neville was a decent player who made near on 700 appearances between Manchester United and Everton (captained as well) along with near on 60 caps for England.
I’m aware mate more meaning not having a set position held him back from being even better, something him and SAF have alluded to frequently. Someone needs to sit Ross down and say “this is your position” which most of us will agree is as a destroyer type.

Still didn't really have a position he played everywhere in his career. You don't think Phil Neville and go ahh great rb, cb, lb or whatever. You simply say ahh Phil Gary's brother.

By no means slating him he played at the top level for a very long time and done the job required of him.

I really like Ross and wish him all the best in his career. Unfortunately he isn’t good enough for Rangers, but some folk on here have given out dogs abuse to anyone who dared to say so since he left on loan.

I really like Ross and wish him all the best in his career. Unfortunately he isn’t good enough for Rangers, but some folk on here have given out dogs abuse to anyone who dared to say so since he left on loan.

possibly because the guys never a right back in a million years and thats where he has been played

why we ever loaned him there for them to then change his position is anyones guess

Not a bad game

sounds like some Pompey fans are outside the ground - surprised the police haven’t moved them on

Last edited:
possibly because the guys never a right back in a million years and thats where he has been played

why we ever loaned him there for them to then change his position is anyones guess

He started in defensive mid for them, but lost his place mate.

Really concerned that this loan spell could cost him long term at Rangers.

Nobody was convinced that he’d be a long term option as a defensive midfielder or centre half, but to waste most of a year playing at full back just doesn’t make sense for his development.

I’m a bit of pessimist when it comes to Players going on loan from Rangers,If I was to give any of them advice I would tell them not to expect to come back and look forward and prepare for a career at another club,
Our record of bringing players through is very poor.

It's a strange one for me with RM. He's stood out in some very big games for us and arguably been man of the match in Old Firm's at both Ibrox and Parkhead.

However it's hard to see him getting back in just now and with a couple of years left in his contract I'd prefer him to go out on loan in the Scottish Premiership where he'll have better chance of playing regularly in his preferred position.

Back