Possibly 8th signing by end of the week

We expecting a CB who will compete for cover or someone who will walk straight into the starting lineup?
An experienced starter 100%, it only makes sense since we have Katic and Edmundson who are both young and don’t have too much experience, whereas Goldson is a bit more experienced. So I feel as if we’ll be going for someone who is a step up from the lot, to learn from and to be further motivated to fight for a place with.

If Lawrence is who we are signing there is no chance he should be going into the first team, nowhere near as good as Katic or Goldson.

Wouldn't say he was poor at all, had a good game. If it had been Tav scoring that free kick, folk would be sitting with their banger in one hand talking about what a masterpiece it was.
Poor maybe a bit strong but he goes about in 3rd gear imo needs to be more like tav in that he’s ready to give his all put his body on the line in 8/10 games. We had to many of players couple years ago wer they thought turning up 1 game in 5 was good enough at rangers.

Looks like we will score more goals than last season given our added options in attacking area's.

The manks had a better defensive record than us last season, with that in mind I would like us to upgrade the CH position, giving us 4 good options there.

I hope we sign someone who is better than all our current CH's, I'm a fan of both Goldson and Katic btw

Looks like we will score more goals than last season given our added options in attacking area's.

The manks had a better defensive record than us last season, with that in mind I would like us to upgrade the CH position, giving us 4 good options there.

I hope we sign someone who is better than all our current CH's, I'm a fan of both Goldson and Katic btw

Agree with this.

Sorry the Belgian league is worse than the SPFL? you must be at the wind up surely.

Slight exaggeration then on my part.

I did qualify with arguably.

As good as the belgian national team is currently the belgian league is not of much higher quality than the SPL in my opinion.

The top 4/5 teams might be of similar standard to us and them but outside that the quality is not great.

We didnt have many goals coming from the RW position last year so you can imagine we will add 10-15 goals from there this season. Its important that we cause problems from all angles of the pitch which I think we will - defoe/morelos/arfield causing trouble centrally, kent on the left, ojo/hastie on the right, runners from midfield and and then both full back areas.

Slight exaggeration then on my part.

I did qualify with arguably.

As good as the belgian national team is currently the belgian league is not of much higher quality than the SPL in my opinion.

The top 4/5 teams might be of similar standard to us and them but outside that the quality is not great.

You have Genk, Gent, Liege, Brugge and Anderlecht challenging for the title each year, whereas we only have two real contenders in Scotland. Outwith us and them, the rest of Scottish football is rank. If you tried to put up St Johnstone, or Hamilton, against a team like Lokeren or Oostende, I know who I'd have my money on.

Poor maybe a bit strong but he goes about in 3rd gear imo needs to be more like tav in that he’s ready to give his all put his body on the line in 8/10 games. We had to many of players couple years ago wer they thought turning up 1 game in 5 was good enough at rangers.

Yea I'd agree with the players a couple of years ago not turning up but I like to hope the gaffer is on top of that now, especially with the squad size. They all know if they don't turn up, they'll get shipped to the bench pronto.

He had some unfortunate injuries last season so can understand why he wasn't charging around as much as we would like to see but I don't think folk should be on top of him as quick as they are. Give the boy a fair chance to prove himself this season now he's out of injury and his head is in the game.

Also think him and Jones might work well together, there was a moment in the game last night where Jones picked up the ball, spotted Borna was going to overlap, Jones then just charged straight toward the goal knowing it would go nowhere but bring in the defenders. It did just that and he played a no look out to borna on the wing. Was really nice subtle bit of teamwork between the two I hope we get to see more of this season.

That's my hope, mibbe Gerrard has spoke him into competing for trophies, as he's used to, rather than fighting relegation with Villa and is using his bidget on wages instead of a fee.

Can't see it myself but out of all the options mooted he'd be the best.
Had a (albeit batshit) dream last night we signed Cahill,got Kent back on loan and on the last day of the English window sold Alfie for 18 million to Palace then proceeded to get Gray from Watford on loan as well.

If carlsberg did transfer windows etc!

Maybe I'm being optimistic but it sounds like Deli might have been our back up target and that things have developed over the last few day with our main target.

Really hope it is not Lawrence, it needs to be someone who will instantly improve our starting line up

Maybe I'm being optimistic but it sounds like Deli might have been our back up target and that things have developed over the last few day with our main target.

Really hope it is not Lawrence, it needs to be someone who will instantly improve our starting line up
Maybe so, I hope that is the case to be honest. A proper quality centre back would strengthen our title chances so much.

He was a good siege defender, in that when it came to games where our backs were against the wall and we had to defend constantly, he was pretty good at that.

When we were expected to dominate a game and he had to be wary of counter attacks, he was not good at that.

If Worrall stuck to purely defending, doing the simple things i.e. blooter it into row z if he's under pressure or clearing from corners then he'd be a great asset. Sadly he exposed himself a good few times by trying to fart about with the ball thinking that he's baresi.

Kind of hoping its someone we havent mentioned yet. Not really fancying the Welsh player we have been linked with. Deli for me, seems a better option but its looking unlikely. Guess we all have to be patient.

Vinnie jones has 9 welsh caps:cool:

and anderlecht finished 5th in the belgian league, arguably a worse league than ours.
Any one of 5 from Genk, Gent, Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard Liege have squads full of international players and would comfortably beat anyone up here barring us or them. The Belgian prem is a couple of levels above us.

Re Worral, Goldson - any CB we sign.

They are going to play out from the back.... they have to , it is sort of expected from a modern CB and as an addition to that it is also something we need from a CB.

Goldson and Worral were excellent attacking options for us last year, their passing helped coax teams out.

The likes of Kamara, Worral, Tav made high profile errors around their box, in possesion last season because it is an area we have to play, it is a way of pulling teams on to us so we can transition and attack them.

I would expect a few goals conceded in the same fashion this season.

You have Genk, Gent, Liege, Brugge and Anderlecht challenging for the title each year, whereas we only have two real contenders in Scotland. Outwith us and them, the rest of Scottish football is rank. If you tried to put up St Johnstone, or Hamilton, against a team like Lokeren or Oostende, I know who I'd have my money on.

Dont disagree about the 5 teams fighting for the league hence why I did say the top 4/5 teams are of a similar level to us and them.

Anyway the main point I was trying to make....I think....was in relation to lawrence playing for a team finishing 5th in the belgian league and having 5 welsh caps aged 26 does not automatically mean you are a quality player.

Never been convinced by the idea signing an older player develops players - most players are like dugs with a bone re their own want for minutes without bothering about the development of players.

An elder signing ie Cahill would be cracking etc but it does very little for either Edmundson or likely Katic other than limit their minutes, that damages development rather than enhances it.

You don't learn to drive by watching someone and then having them sit your test.

We have a manager and coaches for the developing players bit.

I haven't read the whole thread,so I dont know if this has been mentioned yet,but there's a 34 year old defender who most of our support will know who is available on a free,he knows the club and has already made a few bob for Rangers the one and only Alan Hutton.

I haven't read the whole thread,so I dont know if this has been mentioned yet,but there's a 34 year old defender who most of our support will know who is available on a free,he knows the club and has already made a few bob for Rangers the one and only Alan Hutton.

Not a CH though, which is what SG is suggesting we are signing.

Never been convinced by the idea signing an older player develops players - most players are like dugs with a bone re their own want for minutes without bothering about the development of players.

An elder signing ie Cahill would be cracking etc but it does very little for either Edmundson or likely Katic other than limit their minutes, that damages development rather than enhances it.

You don't learn to drive by watching someone and then having them sit your test.

We have a manager and coaches for the developing players bit.

The argument only works if you play alongside them like Cuellar and Bougherra did with Weir.
For those sitting on the bench it does nothing for them though.
I will add though if we sign a new CH to go into the first team I don’t think Katic should be the one losing his place.

Back