Post Split

Steve Smith

Dundee United are the only team in the top half who we have played away twice up to the split.
This would be the same even if Motherwell or Aberdeen sneak into the top 6.
So unless Ross or St Mirren make the top 6 then the fixtures for us are not going to balance out.
In this scenario, the only way they could possibly balance the fixtures out to avoid us having one of the top 6 teams at home three times and away only once, would be for us to play 4 of our 5 post-split fixtures away from home.
(This would also mean we would end the season playing 18 home games and 20 away games - which sometimes happens with the split)

So which scenario would happen.......
A. We would play one of the top teams at home three times and away only once.
B. We play 4 of the 5 post-split fixtures away, and we end up playing 18 home games and 20 away game.

P.S. In the unlikely (but quite possible) event that Dundee United don't make the top 6, and 3 teams from Hibernian/Motherwell/Livingston/Aberdeen make the top 6 then it gets REALLY weird. Because then for it to balance we would have none of the top 6 still to play at home and all five of them to play away

Dundee United are the only team in the top half who we have played away twice up to the split.
So unless Ross or St Mirren make the top 6 then the fixtures for us are not going to balance out.
In this scenario, the only way they could possibly balance the fixtures out to avoid us having one of the top 6 teams at home three times and away only once, would be for us to play 4 of our 5 post-split fixtures away from home.
(This would also mean we would end the season playing 18 home games and 20 away games - which sometimes happens with the split)

B. We play 4 of the 5 post-split fixtures away, and we end up playing 18 home games and 20 away game.

P.S. In the unlikely (but quite possible) event that Dundee United don't make the top 6, and 3 teams from Hibernian/Motherwell/Livingston/Aberdeen make the top 6 then it gets REALLY weird. Because then for it to balance we would have none of the top 6 still to play at home and all five of them to play away
Scenario A.

All teams play 19 home and 19 away.

I assume they try and balance it out as much as possible but sometimes it will just work out to be 3-1.

Scenario A.

All teams play 19 home and 19 away.

I assume they try and balance it out as much as possible but sometimes it will just work out to be 3-1.
Thanks for reply.
All teams don't play 19 home and 19 away all the time though. There is many occasions where it has been an 18 & 20.

Thanks for reply.
All teams don't play 19 home and 19 away all the time though. There is many occasions where it has been an 18 & 20.
Us and the filth will always be 19-19.

Not sure how they can apply that and make any other side 18-20, but that's how it goes.

Thanks for reply.

Both us and Celtic will play 19 home, 19 away.

After the split, we'll most likely have Hearts, Celtic and 1 of Hibs/Livingston/Ross County/Motherwell/St Mirren/Aberdeen away, with Dundee Utd and 1 of the aforementioned teams at home (whichever finishes lowest in the league).

After the split, we'll most likely have Hearts, Celtic and 1 of Hibs/Livingston/Ross County/Motherwell/St Mirren/Aberdeen away, with Dundee Utd and 1 of the aforementioned teams at home (whichever finishes lowest in the league).
This could actually work out to our advantage. If Aberdeen sneak into 6th we would then have the bonus of having them 3 times at home.

The fact that Aberdeen are shite isn't the point here.
The point is that Aberdeen play us harder than any other team, and if we had to win at Pittodrie to win the league then that game would be like the World Cup Final to their fans and players.
Obviously they would still play us hard at Ibrox, but that is one game that would just feel so much easier to have at home.

This could actually work out to our advantage. If Aberdeen sneak into 6th we would then have the bonus of having them 3 times at home.

The point is that Aberdeen play us harder than any other team, and if we had to win at Pittodrie to win the league then that game would be like the World Cup Final to their fans and players.
Obviously they would still play us hard at Ibrox, but that is one game that would just feel so much easier to have at home.

I'd rather it wasn't Aberdeen in the top 6 because when they would play them it would be a guaranteed 4-0 win. Hopefully one of the other teams would at least give them a game.

Think there’s a rule ( although knowing the spl they will change it if it benefits them/disadvantages us) that it’s 19 home/19 away

We will definitely go to parkhead and probably Tynecastle. Could get interesting if both Hibs/sheep make top 6 as one of them would need to one to Ibrox for the 3rd time

In what way does us playing Aberdeen work to our advantage?

They would absolutely gub the sheep at the piggery.

I'll excuse your nightshift brain.

agree. The sheep missing top six would be a plus in our book. a guaranteed win for celtic and a guaranteed tough game for us.

A. Like has happened countless times before

I didn't say playing Aberdeen would work to our advantage.
If Aberdeen did make the top 6, they would likely have to swap this fixture to play it at Ibrox.
THAT is what i said would be to our advantage, because of how tough a game it would be for us at Pittodrie

D’oh, was getting confused earlier. Thought we had 3 at home

I didn't say playing Aberdeen would work to our advantage.
If Aberdeen did make the top 6, they would likely have to swap this fixture to play it at Ibrox.
THAT is what i said would be to our advantage, because of how tough a game it would be for us at Pittodrie

I'd rather play every other team than the sheep.

This season has shown how difficult we've found beating them.

With Goodwin in charge they'll be even worse especially if they can stop us winning the league.

Not a defeatist attitude more realistic.

I'd rather play every other team than the sheep.

This season has shown how difficult we've found beating them.

With Goodwin in charge they'll be even worse especially if they can stop us winning the league.

Not a defeatist attitude more realistic.
Absolutely this 100%.
Especially given the fact that Aberdeen just don't play as hard against Celtic

When is the draw for the post split fixtures? Couldn't see anything other than the dates of the games themselves online.

Will the league fixtures be wrapped up before the weekend 21st and 22nd May? I'm away that weekend or might not be depending on how things play out.

Back