Potential Alfie replacement next summer? Just my thoughts. No link involved.

I’d agree with this. However the only thing I don’t want, us for our wage bill to spiral out of control like the Shettlestons. It’s a very tricky balancing act.
100% mate,if there's bonuses to be had it should be on certain targets being met rather than just operating with an untenable wage bill.

Possibly not, but we’ve already spent £7m on Ryan Kent.

I get that a big chunk of it will be used to balance the books, and it should be - it needs to be - but we shouldn’t sell ourselves short on a replacement for Alfie.

You can see with the Yahoos that they were able to afford a quality replacement with the Dembele money.

I think we should be looking to do likewise.

Alternatively we look at guys in the last year of their contracts or free agents and pay them a higher salary, but we can’t afford to scrimp on quality.
They signed Edouard well before they sold Dembrle.

100% mate,if there's bonuses to be had it should be on certain targets being met rather than just operating with an untenable wage bill.

Agree.

Maybe we should change our wage structure going forward based upon lower base wages & higher bonuses & appearance money ?

Guys not needed / getting a game will be more inclined to leave that way ?

Andraz Sporar (Slovan Bratislava).
or
Pape Moussa Konate (Amiens).
or
Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Legia Warsaw).
or
Marko Livaja (AEK Athens).
or
Ali Sowe (CSKA Sofia)

To name a few lol.

Special mention for Koljic but think he has an injury bug now not seen him play much for U.Craiova this season.

Konate’s a bit of a physical specimen isn’t he ?

They only have stuff from last year on YouTube. You got any new stuff DJ ?

Mbwana Samatta - Strong, can finish and scored a couple in the champions league this season, 1 against Liverpool. He has 42 goals in 94 games for Genk
Sounds good mate,but I think we might need to get players in before they start performing at that level.Especially given what clubs in Belgium have started to recoup in transfer fees of late when selling their assets.Genk sold two of their players for 25 million combined in the summer as an example.

Sorry for being a negative Nigel.

Edit - says he has only a year left on his deal next summer so maybe not impossible after all?

Mbwana Samatta - Strong, can finish and scored a couple in the champions league this season, 1 against Liverpool. He has 42 goals in 94 games for Genk

Seemingly English Premiership teams in for him mate.

Undoubtedly a player & has Alfie’s physicality.

Not sure we could afford him.

Reactions: cav
My guess is we will sign a young striker with big potential that we can develop in the next couple of years but we will also push the boat out for an established quality striker. We were looking at Gray at one point which is the sort of quality Gerrard will be expecting

I liked the look of that big striker for the danish team we knocked out on qualifiers but can’t mind his name?
Looked a real handful but not sure if he’s clinical enough

Nikolay Komlichenko has contributed to 17 goals in 17 games for Mlada Boleslav in the Czech Republic. He's a big lad too. Had 31 goal contributions in 27 games last season as well and finished the top goalscorer, got his first russian cap this year, also just purely looking at his stats he seems to be quite agressive or the referees over there are cunts as well. Think we should be looking outside the box for another Alfie. I know a few have talked about Dzyuba from Zenit even though he'll get big wages wherever he goes but this lad might be similar to him

Last edited:
I liked the look of that big striker for the danish team we knocked out on qualifiers but can’t mind his name?
Looked a real handful but not sure if he’s clinical enough
4 goals in the league for them this season and 2 of those came this weekend

I don’t think we’ll go that high on one player HH.

I’d be happy going 5-6 and then a young development guy for a couple of million that may be another Alfie.

Yep, I agree that would be the way to go.

2 new strikers is a must. Love JD but realistically we'll likely get 1 more season out if him playing wise and his game time managed carefully. So a relatively experienced 5 / 6 mil player and a wee 1/ 2 mil punt on a potential young diamond is sensible squad building imho. Hopefully Ross Wilson can deliver, although maybe someone could slip him JJ's number just to check if anyone has caught his eye again...

Yep, I agree that would be the way to go.

2 new strikers is a must. Love JD but realistically we'll likely get 1 more season out if him playing wise and his game time managed carefully. So a relatively experienced 5 / 6 mil player and a wee 1/ 2 mil punt on a potential young diamond is sensible squad building imho. Hopefully Ross Wilson can deliver, although maybe someone could slip him JJ's number just to check if anyone has caught his eye again...

Good shout TBA.

That young HJK guy that played in the friendly for instance. Is JJ monitoring his progress ?

I disagree Grigo. We were willing to pay £7m for Roofe when Alfie would’ve been going for about £15m in the summer and we could very well get double for Alfie now meaning we could spend more on a replacement. TBH I don’t really know much about Koljic.

I’m sure that although Zenit bid 5m that Craovia said they wanted 10m NDC.

So yes maybe 7 or 8m euros would do it ?

Mind you one of the guys suggested he may be injured currently ? Not sure how serious it is.

If you google Elvir Koljic YouTube you’ll get an idea. Very good aerially.

Sounds good mate,but I think we might need to get players in before they start performing at that level.Especially given what clubs in Belgium have started to recoup in transfer fees of late when selling their assets.Genk sold two of their players for 25 million combined in the summer as an example.

Sorry for being a negative Nigel.

Edit - says he has only a year left on his deal next summer so maybe not impossible after all?

Read a rumour that Newcastle & West Ham interested Cav. May be hard to compete wages wise ?

Important to remember even if Alfredo Morelos leaves for say £30 million we won’t spend £15 Million on his replacement. (50% of Morelos fee)

Maybe 30% at the absolute max

or
or
or
or
Ali Sowe (CSKA Sofia)

To name a few lol.

Special mention for Koljic but think he has an injury bug now not seen him play much for U.Craiova this season.

You probably know this, but it’s Sporar’s ambition to play for Liverpool. And we are the next best thing maybe ?

39 goals in 47, albeit for Bratislava, but very impressive. You seen him DJ ?

You probably know this, but it’s Sporar’s ambition to play for Liverpool. And we are the next best thing maybe ?

39 goals in 47, albeit for Bratislava, but very impressive. You seen him DJ ?
Yeah lol That's why i mentioned him.
Not watched him but seen he's scored a few goals in Europa so knows where the net is and transfermarkt his value is 900k.

We might have missed the boat on getting this 18 year old at a cheap price but Myron Boadu of AZ Alkmaar is on fire and has just been called up to the Dutch squad. The whole AZ front 3 are in great goalscoring form along with midfielder Koopermaiers. Not sure what their prices would be but we’ll get a lot for Alfie.

Jakub Świerczok from Ludogorets FC.

Same size building and playing style.

I think he would be an absolute revolution for us.

Important to remember even if Alfredo Morelos leaves for say £30 million we won’t spend £15 Million on his replacement. (50% of Morelos fee)

Maybe 30% at the absolute max

With Defoe being the age he is, I could see us spending 3 to 4m on a more established striker who we could get 3 to 4 years out of-maybe 28/29 and then a 3 to 4 million on a young guy with big potential. I would agree though, we won't be spending more than 10m shoring up the striking area.

Haven't a clue who we'd sign... but might get someone in, in January? Or a pre contract signing If qualification is gained...just a thought.

When Morelos goes we need to get 2 strikers in , for me I’d have an ikpeazu or shankland as a 3rd choice striker along with someone else of quality closer to Alfie’s and maybe spend £5-£8 million on them someone like a Konate or Niasse

Think the boy nsame From young boys would be similar type of player to Alfredo.
or the big lad that was up front for midjidtland think he was Brazilian big power house.

Possibly not, but we’ve already spent £7m on Ryan Kent.

I get that a big chunk of it will be used to balance the books, and it should be - it needs to be - but we shouldn’t sell ourselves short on a replacement for Alfie.

You can see with the Yahoos that they were able to afford a quality replacement with the Dembele money.

I think we should be looking to do likewise.

Alternatively we look at guys in the last year of their contracts or free agents and pay them a higher salary, but we can’t afford to scrimp on quality.

Part of me thinks the Kent deal, and signing Helander for what was a decent amount these days for us, was almost spending the Morelos cash before we get it.

Hopefully that's not the case, but the money from the Europa League these 2 seasons isn't enough on it's own to cover how we've spent. We may be speculating to accumulate, and if so I wouldn't think we'll go big on fees when Morelos moves on. It may need more than that.

Part of me thinks the Kent deal, and signing Helander for what was a decent amount these days for us, was almost spending the Morelos cash before we get it.

Hopefully that's not the case, but the money from the Europa League these 2 seasons isn't enough on it's own to cover how we've spent. We may be speculating to accumulate, and if so I wouldn't think we'll go big on fees when Morelos moves on. It may need more than that.

I think it would be extreme folly of us to gamble like that. What if he did his ACL (God forbid)?

I think the Helander deal was factored into existing finances (we spent a similar amount on Goldson twelve months earlier), but Kent’s was offset against Europa League qualification.

I get we are still running at a loss, but it’s manageable in that we have a squad that has massively increased in value, Morelos foremost among that.

I may be wrong with the outlay we make on Alfie’s replacement, but I stand by the belief that the model is not simply buy low sell high, it should accommodate exponential increases to it, e.g. we buy Alfie for £1m, sell for 20, then spend a bigger percentage of that return on a quality replacement.

Jonathan David of Gent who are 2nd top in Belgium and top of their EL group.

Hear me out:

19 year old with 20 goals in 47 league games.

11 in 11 for Canada (Arfield connection).

Golden Boot at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Linked with Southampton a couple of months ago (Ross Wilson connection?)

Just a suggestion.....
Have you ever actually watched or just going by the goals stats?

If we sold Alfie I could see someone like Brewster coming up from Liverpool on loan and maybe omrani from cluj on a permanent deal. His goal scoring record isn’t the best but cluj play him out wide a lot but he is a bit of a handful

It depends how much of the Morelos fee we are willing to spend. Anyway I'm not ready to be discussing this, it's giving me the fear.

I know that the Scottish Mhedia rattled out the £9 million for Eduoard for headlines mate,but there's been credible info. that the actual figure was in fact £5.8 million - And I'd expect when Alfie goes we would be able to operate in that financial market fwiw.
Bang on mate, if he sees out his contract with his wages it'll be in the £9m area but we all know how the mentally challenged compliant media love false headlines.

or
or
or
or
Ali Sowe (CSKA Sofia)

To name a few lol.

Watched Andraž Šporar a few times. I'm amazed when the mentally challengeds scouted Bayo that they didn't spot Šporar. A cracking player. Not that it matters really but he's a Liverpool fan, so you'd think he'd be an easy sell with Gerrard being here. Cracking player. Won titles over in Slovakia and scored goals in Europa League for Slovan. Been talking about this guy for months. Brilliant player.

Also his burd is tidy...

Nikolay Komlichenko has contributed to 17 goals in 17 games for Mlada Boleslav in the Czech Republic. He's a big lad too. Had 31 goal contributions in 27 games last season as well and finished the top goalscorer, got his first russian cap this year, also just purely looking at his stats he seems to be quite agressive or the referees over there are cunts as well. Think we should be looking outside the box for another Alfie. I know a few have talked about Dzyuba from Zenit even though he'll get big wages wherever he goes but this lad might be similar to him
That's the right idea.

Back