Potential Future Manager

Big Sam's dad was a police sergeant from Nairn and his mother was from Dumfries
They asked him many times to apply for the Rangers job.
Maybe he could just apply to be a polis in Nairn like his da because I wouldn’t want him near our club..

People will turn there noses up to him because he’s st Johnstone manager and he’s not a big name like Gerrard but he’s proven so far he’s a good manager. He won two cups last year but he’s also lost both of his best two players and he’s still got st Johnstone doing well.
People will turn there noses up to him because he’s st Johnstone manager and he’s not a big name like Gerrard but he’s proven so far he’s a good manager. He won two cups last year but he’s also lost both of his best two players and he’s still got st Johnstone doing well.
Doing well at the bottom of the spl ?

Groundbreaking! :eek:
I'm not even joking. If we were still the same distance ahead of the filth then as we are now, they had an incompetent and stubborn headed manager in as they do now, I'd be happy to see us take the gamble. It would again show us as the leading club, being the pioneers that we are, would bring some football people that still need it, kicking and screaming into the 21st century... plus, I think she could win stuff. Imagine the meltdown when she did.

I felt for him at Hearts. He came in with sceptics and was unorthodox in his methods (some say forward-thinking) and was always fighting against the tide. He was often running blind regards to recruitment as well, he had a clear way he wanted us to play but the players never matched the template.

He will some day be a decent manager though, probably abroad in a lower tier foreign league.

Such was his uphill struggle to win the support of the Hearts faithful, at his lowest ebb he had a bender in the club shop and ended up wearing everything in stock at a presser:

JS114001307.jpg
Linmy

I dont get the love in with Beale.
Mccallister and gerrard have 60 years experience between them.

I think if Gerrard goes to Liverpool or anywhere else his whole entourage would want to go with him, including Beale and McAllister.

Not our next manager but I think Kevin Thomson will be a future Rangers manager

Did you ever listen to him on Rangers TV? If he wasn’t continually talking about the pigeons on the pitch he was saying things like “that shot was a whipper dipper.” I can’t imagine him being able to manage or motivate players at the level we hope to get to

I would like us to go for Graham potter. The lure of European football could tempt him.

I would also be happy with Michael Beale.

I agree with the Neil McCann comments. I would like to see him involved with our coaching staff in some capacity.

St Johnstone’s style of football under Davidson is awful to watch.

Hopefully none of the current back room team. They’re assistants and coaches for a reason. Too early for Thomson although I think he might have a chance in future. GVB is the only one mentioned in this thread I could potentially see happening. Personally, hoping it’s someone else though that Wilson will have lined up out of the blue like he did regularly at Southampton.

I would like us to go for Graham potter. The lure of European football could tempt him.

I would also be happy with Michael Beale.

I agree with the Neil McCann comments. I would like to see him involved with our coaching staff in some capacity.

St Johnstone’s style of football under Davidson is awful to watch.

St. Johnstone play decent football, especially given their squad. One of the few teams to try to pass it in the league and play with width.

You've got to take into account they will have one of the lowest budgets in the league which limits them.

Last edited:
St. Johnstone play decent football, especially given their squad. One of the few teams to try to pass it in the league and play with width.

You've got to take into account they will have one of the lowest budgets in the league which limits them.

Not when I’ve watched them. They sit deep then punt the ball to o’halleron to use his pace. Their league results haven’t been great either

Has Callum Davidson done anything other than one season? They’ve won twice in 2021/22. Not writing him off but surely there has to be far more evidence before people react in the way they are doing right now?

For me character is just as big a part of being a Rangers manager than coaching credentials are. You need to have a certain gravitas to you. It's why the likes of PLG, Warburton, Murty and Pedro have all done a horrendous job of it in the last few decades. You need to be a strong personality, being a good coach simply isn't enough imo.

Martyn Ramsay from H&H has mentioned it a lot in recent years, you need to be statesman like in your endeavours at Rangers. It's a big weight. Hence I've always doubted the validity of having Mick Beale taking over. I just don't think he possess that ruthlessness that's required. Same line of think with Defoe, he's too close to the current squad imo. If we are going to go Gerrard mrk2 then it needs to be someone of equal standing and of a similar disposition.

Not when I’ve watched them. They sit deep then punt the ball to o’halleron to use his pace. Their league results haven’t been great either
Certainly wasn't their tactic in the Euro games I saw, they played good football but got undone by the lack of quality.

I think they will be bottom 6 this season but that doesn't take away from Davidson doing a good job. As I said their budget is one of the lowest and they have also sold easily their 2 best players. Their league results so far will have been affected by their Euro games too and not having a big enough squad to manage it.

Anyway I think now would be too early for Davidson to manage Rangers, he is still unproven over an extended period and Gerrard isn't going anywhere. But think it is unfair to downplay what he has achieved at St. Johnstone.

Remember we actually near ended up with Billy Davies, thank Fook that bombed.

It's actually hard to predict new managers these days tbh, the big names and usual names are retiring or in jobs for the foreseeable.

Lot of new faces coming up.

However, if Gerrard does go, I'd hope we get Michael Beale as manager..

He has all his badges now too!

Van Bronckhorst for me. Already proven he can do it at Feyenoord, worked with Pep for a while at City and understands the nature of the demands of being at Rangers.
Good shout this.

Beale/Defoe etc are mental shouts IMO. They aren’t Rangers managers, it comes down to far more than football knowledge.

Not our next manager but I think Kevin Thomson will be a future Rangers manager
I'd like to know if he's put any of his tactical recommendations while commentating into practice. I think he was all for us dropping one of the back four and sticking on another forward recently when searching for an opener.

What about the lad at FC Sherrif?

I'll admit I'm purely basing it off their 2 CL games, lol.

Some of the replies on here are absolutely mental.

Xabi Alonso is an interesting one, although I'm not sure he'd fancy it.

Domestically I'd be looking towards Callum Davidson what he achieved last season was remarkable with what is essentially a bottom 6 provincial club if he kicks on again this season the board will be considering him.

A coach from Europe then for me Urs Fischer from Union Berlin he got them promoted solidified them as a bundesliga club and now has them playing European football in the conference league I'd get someone like Neil McCann on his backroom team like we have done with Gary mac to help with understanding scottish football.
I'd also love to get Gasperini from Atalanta but he'll be way out of our reach now actually surprised he's not been mentioned for the Newcastle job

Whoever the best candidate is. I imagine we can do better than someone with hardly any experience, and who manages a diddy team currently in 8th place.
Or you could say it as the guy who won two trophies last year for an average team in the spfl but I guess it depends on the narrative you want to set…

Good shout this.

Beale/Defoe etc are mental shouts IMO. They aren’t Rangers managers, it comes down to far more than football knowledge.
GVB is a good shout , but is he realistic?

I see the article he said above about wanting to manage Rangers at some point, but saying words and doing it is different.

I just find it unrealistic to expect someone to go from managing in China on millions to coming to Rangers for pennies , and given he left China to go back to his family, I'd be questioning how long we'd have him for aswell. I don't think Rangers should be looking for short term managers. I get in todays climate managing is a "short term gig" for most teams but we've done enough chopping and changing that I'd hope our next manager intended to be here for years to come.

Or you could say it as the guy who won two trophies last year for an average team in the spfl but I guess it depends on the narrative you want to set…
Not 100% on the callum boat (as I spoke to you a few pages ago about) but you're 100% spot on, IMO peoples standard of manager is far higher than what we will realistically get , I could be wrong of course but our managers and that lots managers over the past few years haven't done much to prove me wrong

To get a manager "above" our level, or even "on" our level (as anyone on our level can get far better wages elsewhere) we need a stroke of luck like they got with Rodgers wanting to rebuild his career and IMO, we got with Gerrard wanting to start his career (I think he's going to be an excellent manager and we'll look back in years to come almost in disbelief that we had a manager of his quality) - Though he also got lucky that we gave him a chance.

Either way, most likely we will need to take a huge risk or go with someone "below" our level and have him prove us wrong (kamara as a player for example) , or someone with a huge loyalty to rangers (walter etc), otherwise I think we will just simply get priced out.

This probably sounds wankier than I intended it to, but Davidson to me feels a bit like McLeish, and actually lesser candidates than him as well.

Despite what McLeish achieved with us, he always just felt a bit underwhelming as a manager of us and like we were selling ourselves short. I would feel that way if we went from where we are now to Davidson.

In recent years, we, and they with Rodgers have shown money needs to spend on a manager and that shambles is never far away when you go with a cheaper option.
McLeish that took us to the last 16 of the Champions League that one and only time we've been there?

Back