Potential Future Manager

Jack Ross, Robbie Neilson, Callum Davidson will all be in the odds you'd imagine. Along with long shots like Lampard and Moyes.

Hopefully we get continuity with Beale.

I think some of the comments about lampard are a bit harsh, thought he done well at derby with loans and no real transfer budget and it was his team that tuchal won CL with, aye he struggled to get results against so called lesser teams at the end of his tenure, but to achieve champs league football with the transfer embargo in place was a huge achievement in its self, bearing in mind he (iirc) had only been in management for less than 2 years
Lampard would do for me. If we ever do get him and you are a hater, stay away.

SAF wasn't an immediate success at OT, most on here would have binned him after the first season.

Jack Ross, Robbie Neilson, Callum Davidson will all be in the odds you'd imagine. Along with long shots like Lampard and Moyes.

Hopefully we get continuity with Beale.
The only thing I'd say about Davidson is he'll most likely be at a championship club down south by the time Gerrard leaves I'll be amazed if Davidson is still at St Johnstone by the end of the season

Kevin Thomson seems perfect for the role he has all the personal attributes just needs the experience, do a decent job with Kelty then maybe come back here as an assistant first

Davidson feels a bit McLeish like. Not all negative clearly, but not sure it’s for me.
Winning the two cups was a job well done by Davidson but let's face it, St Johnstone bored their way to success. Even in the cup this season they took pens at Arbroath. He is a young Steve Clarke. It's all about hanging in there and nicking it, fine for us in Europe maybe but could he blitz his way through a league campaign? Not for me either.
So far as I can see people think he talks a good game, so could be a good manager.

We’d be clamouring to give it to Neil McCann or Gary Neville if they hadn’t already been burnt by management
It will be Alex Scott next

I see Defoe as similar to McCoist. A great character to have around the dressing room as a coach or possibly #2 but not as manager. Couldn't imagine him dishing out the hairdryer treatment.

Only spfl manager i like and believe could in future be good enough for Rangers is Courts.

Tomasson sounds popular cos we ballsed up but then i dont follow that league so maybe unfair.

Gio is the only name that seems quite interesting and would no doubt want it if hes out of work.

Im not sure about Beale would prefer a change when Gerrard leaves, they have been a great management team for Rangers but we could use some different ideas in scottish football.

Not saying i want him but i could see Gareth Southgate as a candidate.

Mick Beale and Callum Davidson definitely most realistic, another shout is Michael O’Neill who’s turned Stoke around pretty well

Callum Davidson, would be a great manager imo
It would be sensible to look very closely at Callum Davidson.
The only problem would be attracting players from the rest of the UK and especially England.
Gerrard is a real name down south and can bring in players that might not otherwise be attracted to play in Scotland.
Calum Davidson would maybe have to work harder at identifying players. that would come north.

I say this because as a British club our best chances of competing are to provide a playing platform that attracts players from every corner of our entire nation, not just Scotland.
The really successful clubs from the larger nations all have a base of players recruited domestically.

We are a big club from a big nation, (the UK) hamstrung by being shoehorned into a demographically small part of it through a historical football nuance, it is a straitjacket that we need to wriggle out of.

But Calum Davidson ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Someone with a huge personality and a coaching backroom team, that is the model which best works for us - Lampard with Billy Reid as assistant, something like that. The front face of it all has to be someone with huge personality.

The recruitment of an upcoming coach with little reputation on their own, just not sure it is for us TBH.
That is a strong point.

He did and yet I have a lot more respect for the work of Smith in the CL in 07/08 and Advocaat in 99/00
Wow! More respect for two managers that had open checkbooks than a manager that had to cut back drastically and only use what he generated through player sales

Only spfl manager i like and believe could in future be good enough for Rangers is Courts.

Tomasson sounds popular cos we ballsed up but then i dont follow that league so maybe unfair.

Gio is the only name that seems quite interesting and would no doubt want it if hes out of work.

Im not sure about Beale would prefer a change when Gerrard leaves, they have been a great management team for Rangers but we could use some different ideas in scottish football.

Not saying i want him but i could see Gareth Southgate as a candidate.
It will be Van Bronckhorst or Lampard. Big club needs a big profile. Nobody will be desperate to come up the road to play for Beale. The other two have shown something about them and they have the profile to help get better players and sponsorship in. Southgate will probably be the next wishy washy leader of the labour party.

£15m first season in charge, sale of Cuellar and still spent that money and a further £9m the second season so aye it is you.

We used to have this guy play for us pal, his name was Alan Hutton, you seem to have forgot about him, by the time we sold him and factored in spent net the first full season was about half a million.

We used to have this guy play for us pal, his name was Alan Hutton, you seem to have forgot about him, by the time we sold him and factored in spent net the first full season was about half a million.
Hutton was a forced sake due to the financial troubles that money went straight to debt management,the following season he was only given £4m and spent it all on Help but you're free to respect whoever you like

The shouts for Callum Davidson are mind-boggling.

It's akin to those who were calling for McInnes last time round.

Appoint a Davidson and be prepared for loads of our players contacting their agents and putting in transfer requests. And rightly so.

Hutton was a forced sake**sale due to the financial troubles that money went straight to debt management,the following season he was only given £4m and spent it all on Help but you're free to respect whoever you like

Ah see, because I had read he was a chequebook manager, but what you have said there doesn't really add up with that, must have been a right dafty that made such a point.

The following season, after the Hutton sale, he spent a bit more than 4 million, but it was again predominantly purchases funded by player sales (Cuellar)

I mean to me what actually happened is that Smith was really just making do with pretty low net budgets but making the best use of his spend. THAT is what I respect.

Ah see, because I had read he was a chequebook manager, but what you have said there doesn't really add up with that, must have been a right dafty that made such a point.

The following season, after the Hutton sale, he spent a bit more than 4 million, but it was again predominantly purchases funded by player sales (Cuellar)

I mean to me what actually happened is that Smith was really just making do with pretty low net budgets but making the best use of his spend. THAT is what I respect.
Go and have a look at that years outs and ins, Cuellar money plus a further £8/9m spend on the likes of Mendes, Miller, Bougherra, Edu and more

Go and have a look at that years outs and ins, Cuellar money plus a further £8/9m spend on the likes of Mendes, Miller, Bougherra, Edu and more

I am aware of them.... I know my history which is why I wouldn't be daft enough to try and claim Smith had an open chequebook during his second spell, it was you who made that point. It was you who said McLeish worked from sales of players brought in as though that was exclusive to him.

It was Smith who had a net spend of about 500k in 07/08, yet seemingly that is all pish because the Hutton sale was just forced. I mean I can't even untangle this sht to know the point you are even attempting to make now.

Last edited:
Think it's beyond just the next manager who we go for though.

We either need to either separately assemble a backroom staff of our own whom a new manager has to use, or alternatively earmark an existing manager and his own backroom staff to bring over.

Whatever the case, i doubt we'll find ourselves in a situation where Wilson has only a few weeks notice about the entire backroom staff departing.

What has Lampatd done to suggest he would be any good?

He failed with a better group of players than we currently have. Same players were almost instantly improved under different management.

Don't ask me for a name but would be hugely disappointed if we appointed Lampard.
To be fair, Lampard has always spoken well of Rangers.
Perhaps the best argument you could make in favour of a Lampard appointment is that he will have learned from his mistakes at Chelsea and that he will be a better manager in future as a result.

To be fair, Lampard has always spoken well of Rangers.
Perhaps the best argument you could make in favour of a Lampard appointment is that he will have learned from his mistakes at Chelsea and that he will be a better manager in future as a result.
Auch well, if he speaks well of us that changes everything...

I like Lampard, I wish him nothing but success.

But I like Rangers more.

Until Lampard could prove he has ironed out the flaws then he should be nowhere near Rangers as a manager.

No slight on the man but SG has pushed us past the gamble stage when picking managers and I would hope we never see ourselves as a team where someone can come and work on their well published faults, no matter how nice a lad they are or how well they speak of us.

Would be, for me anyway, a very lazy and uninspiring choice.

Auch well, if he speaks well of us that changes everything...

I like Lampard, I wish him nothing but success.

But I like Rangers more.

Until Lampard could prove he has ironed out the flaws then he should be nowhere near Rangers as a manager.

No slight on the man but SG has pushed us past the gamble stage when picking managers and I would hope we never see ourselves as a team where someone can come and work on their well published faults, no matter how nice a lad they are or how well they speak of us.

Would be, for me anyway, a very lazy and uninspiring choice.
Having re-read my initial post, nowhere can I find anything suggesting that because Lampard may have 'spoken well' of Rangers in the past that this would in any way qualify him to be a future Rangers manager. There is in fact, no connection between the first sentence in my post and the observation that followed.

Back