Potential New Format for the Champions League

So what you're saying is they want the best teams to qualify. Interesting theory...

They dont want competition. They want money.

I see Marine drew Spurs in the FA Cup. That's what fans enjoy. The 'romance' of the cup. Its fun, its exciting. Everyone's talking about it.

Put it back to the old europen cup,straight draw,no seeds,knockouts over 2 legs....more exciting than some of the boring and meaningless group games currently.....chance for "lesser" champions to sink a giant.
League champions only ,no 2nd,3rd or 4th places.
That’s not going to pay for the massive salaries, plush offices and perks available to employees of UEFA and various corrupt FA officials.

Looking at this format, it could be good for us.

Finish in the top 8 and you not only qualify for the next round but also the group stage the following year. Finish 9 - 24th and you're in with a chance of getting to the next stage via the intermediate round.

Looking at the pots this season and assuming we would be a pot 4 side and get drawn with 2 pot 1, 3 pot 2, 3 pot 3 and 2 pot 4, we could get drawn to play in a probable best case scenario

Porto, Zenit, Ajax, Man Utd, Shakhtar, Dinamo Kiev, Olympiacos, Krasnodar, Ferencvaros and Midtjylland

Here's an idea , what about only putting league champions in the champions league instead of 4 and 5 from one country and none from another .

It's a boring played out money grab now and is so far removed from the original concept it's crap.

No offence but that would be utter shite.

Barcelona / Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Liverpool / Man City
Juventus

The only teams who could ever win it. It'd be even more of a closed shop than it already is.

Does anyone really want to see those teams battering the champions of Hungary, Slovenia and so on? Nope.

If they want it to be "the best teams getting through, no matter the opposition" the answer is simple.

Straight knock-out competition without seedings.

No offence but that would be utter shite.

Barcelona / Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Liverpool / Man City
Juventus

The only teams who could ever win it. It'd be even more of a closed shop than it already is.

Does anyone really want to see those teams battering the champions of Hungary, Slovenia and so on? Nope.

I always felt that the champions league should be for champions and the Europa league should be for second place .

I see what you're saying but I find it sad when teams get into Europe for finishing 4th or 6th or whatever it is because of the co-efficient.

Some teams in England getting in that haven't won a title in 30 or more years when we can't get a sniff irritates me.

I would also take a chunk of champions league money and plough it into the Europa league to help even things out financially, second place in the domestic league is rarely a guarantee , thus might help some clubs compete .

Instead of making up completely ridiculous competitions that have little or no merit, maybe the euro giants could ask their players to reduce their exorbitant wages. I'm sure dross like Ozil could scrape by on 150 grand per week.

It went from being a genuine Competition were teams competed to a complete monopoly were the rich get richer and %^*& everyone else

We had a major hand in the revamped Champions League btw

yes but then it was still only Champions allowed in.

they introduced Group Stages in the last year of the European Cup (incidentally we got knocked out on away goals due to an own goal aet to Sparta Prague, they were then runners up in their group to Barcelona who went on to win it).

but then they got greedy and the rich got richer,

was the final a few years Liverpool v Spurs, between them hadn’t won a league title for a combined 70 years.

Liverpool had won it twice and were runners up twice in the last 15 years despite it being double that from when they last won their league.

Remember more simple times when the league winners got into the European Cup? Runners up in the UEFA? Cup winners in the CWC? I'm probably a boring old dinosaur but give me the old setup everyday of the week. Do any of us really doubt that we're heading to a European league just for the elites?
Like me, you may be old and a dinosaur, but you are not boring. It's the current set-up that's boring. Unless Rangers or Borussia Mönchengladbach are involved (or Celtic are getting a good doing) I don't watch any more. And remember, dinosaurs ruled the Earth for 450 million years and were as hard as ****.

What a load of balls
10 random games?
That means we could draw Real, Barca, Bayern, City etc and struggle yet another team gets a few lower ranked teams and qualify.
How is that fair.

The European cup was better when it was an open draw and anyone could be drawn together I.e a proper cup competition and it was only champions.
None of this shite that favoured the big teams and the big nations.

It does look like UEFA are trying to protect access for smaller teams-thats seems to be a big part of the compromises.

If they really wanted to protect teams from smaller companies pass a new rule that each club gets to sell its own TV rights. That'd even the score a little.

I may be in the minority but truth be told, I can't stand the CL. Felt this way for many years. It bores the arse of me. I prefer the Europa, more of a level playing field, good quality teams and good competition. It reminds me of the old style of European competition.

Current group format is dull as dishwater, wouldn’t give it the time of day if it wasn’t for the BT Goals show.

It's become completely dull to me tbh. None of the clubs have any real character. Juve, City, PSG, Liverpool, Madrid etc are all much of a muchness. Don't mind Bayern as at least they still feel like a proper German team.
They can do what they like tbh, let them have a separate league, I'm past caring.
Eh? Liverpool have huge character. I would agree with the likes of city, PSG, Madrid and some others but Liverpool have at least as much character as Bayern, if anything more.

Eh? Liverpool have huge character. I would agree with the likes of city, PSG, Madrid and some others but Liverpool have at least as much character as Bayern, if anything more.
They feel like a global brand with no identity is more my point, but yeah Liverpool probably the least bad out of your City PSG etc.

I still have zero interest in watching them.

I always felt that the champions league should be for champions and the Europa league should be for second place .

I see what you're saying but I find it sad when teams get into Europe for finishing 4th or 6th or whatever it is because of the co-efficient.

Some teams in England getting in that haven't won a title in 30 or more years when we can't get a sniff irritates me.

I would also take a chunk of champions league money and plough it into the Europa league to help even things out financially, second place in the domestic league is rarely a guarantee , thus might help some clubs compete .

But again, what would be the point of watching Barcelona vs Copenhagen or Bayern Munich vs Maribor for example?

The big teams would just end up treating it the way the League Cup is treated. Field your youngsters until you get far enough in the competition, then start putting out strong teams.

Keep the criteria to get in as it is, but make it a random FA Cup style draw for the 32 clubs each season.

Last 32
Last 16
Quarters
Semis
Final

Knock out four random teams and you're in the final.

Last 32 and Last 16 losers drop into the EL.

It would be interesting to ask the supporters what they want.
Surely most fans out there want their club to win something, not just qualify for the CL.
I know that there was Arsenal fans happy to finish 4th in the EPL a few seasons ago, that can't be the view of the majority of supporters or are we now obsessed with balance sheets?

But again, what would be the point of watching Barcelona vs Copenhagen or Bayern Munich vs Maribor for example?

The big teams would just end up treating it the way the League Cup is treated. Field your youngsters until you get far enough in the competition, then start putting out strong teams.

The bonus for me is it could be a different team every year or 2 .

Dortmund or Bayern from Germany.

One year it could be Liverpool, Leicester, Man City, Chelsea , Man United (snigger) .

Rangers or Celtic

Real or Barcelona

AC Milan , Inter , Juve

PSG, Marseille , Lyon etc

Ajax , PSV etc

Porto , benfica besiktas

I don't know a lot about other league just now so that may not be accurate , but I would honestly take one team from each country and it would be different all the time and sort the wheat from the chaff , Copenhagen etc would maybe start to climb with the money for example.

I don't like when it's 2 teams from the same country playing the final, you can see that 4x a year already.

Tottenham vs Liverpool was bloody awful.

I think most would agree it needs a change in some way or another .

My idea isn't full proof , I get that , but it's becoming a closed shop and champions league money to the same teams kills the domestic scene.

The bonus for me is it could be a different team every year or 2 .

Dortmund or Bayern from Germany.

One year it could be Liverpool, Leicester, Man City, Chelsea , Man United (snigger) .

Rangers or Celtic

Real or Barcelona

AC Milan , Inter , Juve

PSG, Marseille , Lyon etc

Ajax , PSV etc

Porto , benfica besiktas

I don't know a lot about other league just now so that may not be accurate , but I would honestly take one team from each country and it would be different all the time and sort the wheat from the chaff , Copenhagen etc would maybe start to climb with the money for example.

I don't like when it's 2 teams from the same country playing the final, you can see that 4x a year already.

Tottenham vs Liverpool was bloody awful.

I think most would agree it needs a change in some way or another .

My idea isn't full proof , I get that , but it's becoming a closed shop and champions league money to the same teams kills the domestic scene.

I agree that two teams from the same country in the final is poor. But going by recent domestic titles you're looking at even more of a closed shop than the current format.

Barca & Real
Bayern
PSG
Juventus
Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea

Only teams with a realistic chance of getting near.

No cup draw should ever be seeded

champions league but it’s not for just champions ? Who the %^*& came up with that title when it’s not the champions league

They are destroying football as we know it, and with more people tuning into the CL it justifies their hand. Only a boycott of watching the later stages by fans of teams not involved will wake up UEFA to the damage they’re doing. Even that might not be enough since the football tourists will still be watching in droves.

it can only be a matter of time before the financial elite (who have become that through the manipulation of the CL over the years) break away and form a closed league and leave the rest of us to pick up the pieces and rebuild European competitions with integrity. Who knows, in time that might actually be preferred to watching overpriced superstars.

Don't subscribe to the Times anymore so not read the article but htink they are trying to make the group stage more exciting. There would still be 32 teams with the same qualification process but more games of interest.

I can't be the only one to be bored by the group stages - I watch very few games.

There has been some absolutely cracking games this year as usual. I know most of the groups have been resolved early, but there are some great matches amongst them.

Jeezo. Just put one team in from each country. No seedings.

Would mean small teams might get the luck of the draw and get further in the tournament whereas the bigger teams might end up knocking each other out early doors.

For a neutral, that would be great to watch!

Back