Pound for pound best and worst Rangers signings

Jacrispy

Let's have them, who was best value for money and who was the worst? Note that when nominating your best, a fee has to have been paid for said player, we're not counting bosmans.

I have a feeling Flo will end up dominating the "worst" category though if you consider his goal return the how much we recouped i don't think it's actually that cut and dry.

Last edited:
Nacho Novo in recent times, scored so many goals etc

Worst, well unfortunately could be anyone from the likes of Capucho too Mladenovic etc - Juan Ortiz *shudder*

Those kind of names don't come close when you consider the outlay. Relatively cheap punts that never came off. You needto look at the Advocaat years for the really piss poor value for money.

Konterman £4.5 mil and £30k a week.

Kanchelskis £5 mil and £28k a week.

Criminal waste of money.

Best:
Andy Goram £1m. Paid for himself time and time again. That night at Parkhead in 1996 9iar season we won 1-0. Laudrup first half goal. End to end stuff the whole night. Goram saved a screamer of a free kick from Van Hooijdonk. Gazza went on to miss a penalty and Van Vossen blootered a tap-in into Tollcross. Last 5 minutes we gave away a penalty. After playing so well but being unlucky in front of goal it was all about to be undone. Big Hooijdonk steps up. Blooters it. Goram gets down on it faster than a central station hooker. Punches the ball to ****. Obscenities were shouted. The game was saved. That was worth £1m alone.

Worst value. As suggested. Flo!

The first name I thought of for worst was ,Prodan.

The best needs a bit of thought maybe even McCoist when you concider the goals over a long period then £160k is a real bargain.

How much did we end up getting for Flo?

£6.75m. Given the fee received for him and his amount of goals, don't think I'd put him in this bracket.

In terms of was he what we wanted/ needed from a £12m signing then he is a flop.

Some strange suggestions from players I thought were pretty decent for us... Kanchelskis? He won back to back titles, a treble and a double! Difficult to see beyond Prodan just because he was out injured for so long.

Best, maybe McCoist, all time record scorer after all. Richard Gough for £1m-ish is pretty good too?

Konterman was the biggest waste for me.

Couldn't jump, couldn't header, couldn't tackle.

Would normally foul players just outside the box then shout at everyone to organise them.

The boy wound me up no end.

I would go for Davie Cooper a snip at £100k with Prodan as the worst in terms of return on expenditure.

Goram has to be the best. Battle of Britain? He was immense in both legs. Best Keeper I have ever seen. Worst for me would have to be Prodan.

Came on to post Stuart Munro and somebody's beat me to it anyway
Best Munro
Worst prodan

James Beattie has to be up there with worst - no idea how much we paid for him, but I've never seen a player look so uninterested in playing football.

How about Mo Jo for best pound for pound. he was worth every penny to stick it to the tims. still hurts them.

£2.3m for Laudrup was a decent amount of money back then but we were paying that kind of fee regularly at the time. He turned out to be a bargain, we could have sold him for £10m a year later, the equivalent of over £100m in today's market.

Also whatever we paid for Papac was repaid many times over.

Biggest wastes would be Kanchelskis (decent at times but a huge fee), and Garner given how little we spent out with him during that period.

Seb Rosenthal was pretty poor value in the end up.

Micheal Ball likewise at £6m or so.

Best value, there have been a few- Weir, Papac recently, but I'll go for Laudrup- £2.3m for one of the greatest players in our history is a great price.

Konterman was the biggest waste for me.

Couldn't jump, couldn't header, couldn't tackle.

Would normally foul players just outside the box then shout at everyone to organise them.

The boy wound me up no end.

Yep that - and hitting one of the greatest of all time winners v Celtic that won us a crucial cup semi-final which led to us winning the cup.

James Beattie has to be up there with worst - no idea how much we paid for him, but I've never seen a player look so uninterested in playing football.

Beattie was one that came to my mind. Think we paid 1 million for him if i'm correct. Also got some reception when he first played against Killie i think it was purely down to being the first signing in about 2 years!

Is Trevor Steven worth a shout given we bought him back for about £2.2m after selling him for £5.5m?

Don't think worst can be anyone other than Prodan.
Absolutely nothing in return for millions spent.
I'd like to know why anyone would say Flo over a guy who never ever played?

Best - Goram

Worst - Prodan

Don't understand people saying Flo he was a lot of money but he scored better than a goal every 2nd game and was sold for 6/7m

For me some of the contenders for the best would be McCoist, Klos and Nacho Novo.

The worst would be Rozenthal and Prodan.

I'm too young to remember much about it but what about Oleg Kuznetsov? I know he was a highly regarded player prior to playing for us and that he spent the majority of his time injured. Did we spend a lot on him? I do recall him scoring a cracker at the Piggery but in terms of overall value how would he rate?

Yep, has to be a consideration. Considering he was our first signing in about a year, his impact was almost literally zero.

Cant agree with those saying Flo. Net spend on him was about £6-7M and he got a goal every game and a half, so his return (for that era) was still decent. We’ve definitely wasted a lot more money on players who have contributed zilch.

Best - Mel Sterland. Played about 10 games, made an impact and I think was sold for more than we paid.

worst - Guivarch, shocking attitude. Prodan, Rosental and Kuznetsov suffered injuries.

Is Trevor Steven worth a shout given we bought him back for about £2.2m after selling him for £5.5m?

Don't think worst can be anyone other than Prodan.
Absolutely nothing in return for millions spent.
I'd like to know why anyone would say Flo over a guy who never ever played?

Prodan was a great player who couldn't play for us because we signed him with a serious knee injury he never recovered from. I seem to remember a story going round at the time that we signed him without giving him a medical, but I've always found that hard to believe.

Mladenovich, on the other hand, was a midfielder who could neither tackle nor find a teammate with a pass. He cost us around £1.5m. Two years later, in his final transfer from Red Star Belgrade to Incheon, he went for less than £250k.

Back