Pound for pound best and worst Rangers signings

Best:
Andy Goram £1m. Paid for himself time and time again. That night at Parkhead in 1996 9iar season we won 1-0. Laudrup first half goal. End to end stuff the whole night. Goram saved a screamer of a free kick from Van Hooijdonk. Gazza went on to miss a penalty and Van Vossen blootered a tap-in into Tollcross. Last 5 minutes we gave away a penalty. After playing so well but being unlucky in front of goal it was all about to be undone. Big Hooijdonk steps up. Blooters it. Goram gets down on it faster than a central station hooker. Punches the ball to ****. Obscenities were shouted. The game was saved. That was worth £1m alone.

Worst value. As suggested. Flo!

Hard to argue with this

We need to also remember context - for example Flo was a particularly bad signing as he was too expensive, cup tied for UEFA Cup, we were already miles behind in league and he didn't play 'target man' at all well. Same for Salenko....signed in desperation and not what we wanted or needed. Or Prodan - no medical to 'get it right up Spurs' etc. Whereas some players were a good idea, and club had spotted something...so term 'waste' does have to be considered carefully.

Michael Ball was one of the first names I thought of for the worst. Paying circa £6M for him when we had Numan in his prime was just complete madness.

We certainly got our moneys worth out of big Boyd (first stint).
Strong candidate. Never thought Ball was a real full back. Seemed most comfortable in the back three that Hoddle had England using. And was he ever really fit?

Always think had we strengthened rather than weakened ourselves in 2000 then the decade after would've been very different, due to that it's hard to look past Konterman, Ricksen, Flo. Around £20m of investment - imagine that had been well spent on excellent players who performed really well and left for a profit (like GvB).

Best: McCoist (Tempted to say Johnston just because of how much it got to the mutants)

Worst: Prodan

Best Laudrup (greatest player i've seen in the light blue bar none)
Worst - Have we got all day but Prodan jumps out

Goram and McCoist must be in contention for our best although the profit made on Boumsong was quite handy.

Flo was an absolute waste

Was £180k for McCoist our most expensive transfer fee at the time?

Let's have them, who was best value for money and who was the worst? Note that when nominating your best, a fee has to have been paid for said player, we're not counting bosmans.

I have a feeling Flo will end up dominating the "worst" category though if you consider his goal return the how much we recouped i don't think it's actually that cut and dry.
If we are discounting Bosmans then best would be possibly Cooper at £100k or McCoist at £185k. Worst, well, Prodan, Konterman maybe.

Some interesting answers. Prodan was my first thought for worst too, purely because he was so expensive and we didn't even get a game out of him, of course it wasn't the big mans fault (RIP).

Rozenthal, Beattie, Sebo and Garner were all horrendous deals too.

In terms of best, my initial thought was McCoist. Also good to see Novo get some mentions, a small fee but he scored countless big goals, some of which were worth several millions to us (CL qualification etc). Goram was an absolute bargain too.

Flo being the worst is a scottish media myth.

Cost 12.5 mill sold for 7 mill.

Net 5.5 loss but scored over 40 goals in 2 seasons.
Dont know assist stats but in the days shdn we spunked millions his financial figures not great but not worst and he at least did a job for 2 years .

Remember his next club sunderland paid 7 million and released him a year later after only 6 goals

Surely Kris Boyd has to be one of the best signing of recent times? The amount of goals he scored for a fee of 500k is incomparable.

Best Stuart Munro 15k from Alloa,and Souness spent loads trying to replace him.
Worst, Prodan seems the obvious choice,but being injured didn't make him a bad player.Capucho for me was a massive disappointment.

Best McCoist

Worst - anyone who came on a decent fee and rarely if ever exited the treatment room - Rozenthal, Prodan, Steven Wright

Greatest value?

Kris Boyd
Nacho Novo
Rod Wallace

Worst:

Senderos
Guivarche (Or however it's spelt)
Flo - Decent player but worth nowhere near £12m
Francis Jeffers - even for a loan signing he was woeful
Rozental - Potential was there but his legs were made from pink wafers.

Has to be Boumsong given the money we made on him after such a short time.

Probably not the biggest waste financially, but Theo Snelders was an absolute charlatan.

Thought Richard Gough was a great signing. We got a great player, great service and a born leader.
Value for money wise Flo was one of the worst imo.

Back