Pre contract for Preston’s Ben Davies?

Spiderman

According to the Daily Record...

Rangers have presented a “signifiant” offer to bring Preston defender Ben Davies to Ibrox, according to reports.

The Light Blues are battling Celtic and leading English clubs, including some from the Premier League, for the signature of the centre-back, claim Football Insider.

They claim that they have been put a “lucrative pre-contract deal” to Davies in the hope of securing a summer move.

Edmundson I would imagine. And probably helander if he doesn't start getting a game.
Some folk will jump down your throat at this but I agree, if Helander doesnt cement his place as a started I can see him making a move (reckon it would be January next year though)

Anyone watch the Championship regularly able to give us a brief assessment?

So who’s leaving then?
Edmundson with Katic going out on loan for a season that leaves us Goldson, Helander, Balogun, and potentially Davies IF signed.

We wouldn't have to spend a penny on our backline this summer if this deal happens as Davies covers LB and Balogun can by all accounts play RB if needed.

Means the bulk of any summer funds can go on our midfield/attack/squad.

From another repost based on Football Insider.

“Steven Gerrard does like to have a left-footed centre back, hence his 2019 signing of Filip Helander, so Davies could fit in alongside Connor Goldson.”

Really hope it's not Helander, but based on his recent game time it seems as if Gerrard just doesn't fancy him that much for whatever reason.

For my money he's still the best we have for the left centre back role.
I think the problem with Helander is that we play a high line and he can be caught for pace.
I really like him. He reads the game well and doesn't get lost under the ball or out of position, which Balogun does a bit.

If Helander isn't playing enough, he'll need to leave to continue his Sweden career.

I think the problem with Helander is that we play a high line and he can be caught for pace.
I really like him. He reads the game well and doesn't get lost under the ball or out of position, which Balogun does a bit.

If Helander isn't playing enough, he'll need to leave to continue his Sweden career.
Doesn’t really have a Sweden career, usually on the bench :))

Celtic have been strongly linked with him too. Would be a very good signing on a free.

Helander hasn’t lost a game that he’s finished I don’t think.

That’s not by luck.

He’s a proper defender.
Even though it was offside, the only game we’ve lost that he had a part to play in was the LCF and they scored it after he went off

That’s not by luck.

He’s a proper defender.
Helander, Jack and Roofe strengthen our XI in my opinion. Possibly Arfield too.
I do wonder if Helander hasn't played because the midfield cover for the defence isn't as effective without Jack, so Balogun's pace has helped cover the extra ground.
We often see Balogun and Goldson in wider areas than would be ideal, where Jack and Kamara were sweeping up when they were playing together.

So who’s leaving then?
Perhaps SG is looking to go to three at the back next season it would make sense with Rangers having the two best wing backs in the league, the obvious replacement is probably for George Edmundson,Davies would be a massive upgrade hopefully Katic will make a full recovery giving the Gaffer four quality centre backs

The DR will fire plenty of shit at the wall and see what sticks, they knew nothing about Wright until McIness told the world but suddenly they have inside track on our contract offers...hmmmm

The DR will fire plenty of shit at the wall and see what sticks, they knew nothing about Wright until McIness told the world but suddenly they have inside track on our contract offers...hmmmm
This is true. It's quite frustrating that we now do business so well that we never really know about the deals before they are complete. I'm sure the pre-contract was already done with Wright, and we contacted Aberdeen to get him now.

Perhaps SG is looking to go to three at the back next season it would make sense with Rangers having the two best wing backs in the league, the obvious replacement is probably for George Edmundson,Davies would be a massive upgrade hopefully Katic will make a full recovery giving the Gaffer four quality centre backs

he wont be.

Balogun will be 33yo in the Summer. It may depend on what kind of contract he's willing to accept. I'd be surprised if we commit ourselves to 2 years.

I know Davies would make five but I think Balogun is probably just a short term signing

According to the Daily Record...

Rangers have presented a “signifiant” offer to bring Preston defender Ben Davies to Ibrox, according to reports.

The Light Blues are battling Celtic and leading English clubs, including some from the Premier League, for the signature of the centre-back, claim Football Insider.

They claim that they have been put a “lucrative pre-contract deal” to Davies in the hope of securing a summer move.
Canny wait to buy the paper the Morra to see how this develops!

Left footed, 25, likes to play - not just defend, and enjoys a diagonal ball like Goldson.

Either replacement for Goldson or possible partner for Goldson.

Edmundson might have had his day, Balogun’s deal expires in the summer. No guarantee how Katic will be when he looks ready in training.

Imagine wondering what you’ll do in the summer when your contract expires at PNE and then you get offered a contract from a club of our size with a shot at the CL! Who needs the playoffs eh?! :))

That’s not by luck.

He’s a proper defender.
Young Boys away last season?

Think he played that night.

Not arguing your assessment of his defensive ability.

Also true to say Balogun has only lost 1 game in his Rangers career.

Is Ben Davies not quite similar to Nathan Aké. Can play left or centre back. Comfortable on the ball, can bring it out of defence, decent touch, reading of the game, range of passing - not exactly a marauding left back when played out there but comfortable. Wouldn't be labelled a powerhouse of a CB but still commanding?

Johnson is a good player, as was discussed back in the summer. Ben Pearson too.

Why would any one want to sign a pre-contract with the bheggars?

Back