Pre contract for Preston’s Ben Davies?

The only argument people have to start Balogun over Helander is that Balogun has more pace.

Domestically I’ve yet to see Helander get massively caught out due to his lack of pace - only game I’ve seen him properly struggle is against Benfica in Portugal

The only argument people have to start Balogun over Helander is that Balogun has more pace.

Domestically I’ve yet to see Helander get massively caught out due to his lack of pace - only game I’ve seen him properly struggle is against Benfica in Portugal

I like Balogun but I think we are a better defensive unit with Helander in there. Throw in Ryan Jack and the whole balance of the team is even better.

For me Edmundson and Katic will both be moved on in some fashion making room for Davies if there is anything in this wonder what sort of fees we could attract for those two would get rid of two wages and replaced by one signing on a free

Last edited:
Going by one of their forums on their big 4 players out of contract they rate Pearson then Davies as being two that could excel at a higher level not much love for Johnson or Browne though

I assumed that Helander had pace; I might be wrong, but my original opinion was that he was quick to close an opponent etc.

For me Edmundson and Katic will both be moved on in some fashion making room for Davies if there is anything in this
Edmundson will be sold I reckon with Katic going out on loan for a season he needs a full season and playing regularly again then hopefully come back and fight for his place his development over the next 12-18 months upon returning from his injury will be crucial to see if he still has a long term future with us imo.

Some descriptions make BD of PNE sound a little like sasa papac , a time who has seen him offer an idea as to how quick he is ?

The obvious aspect I see in this profile is 6’ 0’’ tall is wayyyy below what SG asks for in his CD so there could be some sort of gap here

As I've posted before I'm a North End ST holder so I've seen a lot of this lad. He's come through the ranks & after a few loan spells away has nailed down a place in the team over the past couple of years.

North End offered him a new deal but as he's been at the Club since he was a kid he apparently wants a new challenge & to experience something different which is fair enough.

On the park he is a decent enough left sided defender with a good eye for a long diagonal pass.

For me not as good as Balogun or Goldson but certainly on a par defensively with Helander & probably a better option than Edmundson.

Overall I like him & it wouldn't surprise me if we were in for him as on a free it would be a good bit of business but there will also be a few other Clubs interested as well.

With players down here it usually boils down to do they want to come up the road & play in a perceived poor league but play Champions League / Europa League / OF games or do they stay down here & sign for a lower EPL Club / Championship Club pushing for promotion?

On a separate note Alex Neil has said he is hopeful of Daniel Johnson signing a new deal so looks like he's changed his mind.

I hope this isn't Goldson's replacement
I wouldn’t want that either.
I’d hope he’d sign a new deal if we win the league this season so he gets to play in the CL.
However, if he doesn’t want to extend his stay here, it’d be prudent to see what we’d get for him.

As I've posted before I'm a North End ST holder so I've seen a lot of this lad. He's come through the ranks & after a few loan spells away has nailed down a place in the team over the past couple of years.

North End offered him a new deal but as he's been at the Club since he was a kid he apparently wants a new challenge & to experience something different which is fair enough.

On the park he is a decent enough left sided defender with a good eye for a long diagonal pass.

For me not as good as Balogun or Goldson but certainly on a par defensively with Helander & probably a better option than Edmundson.

Overall I like him & it wouldn't surprise me if we were in for him as on a free it would be a good bit of business but there will also be a few other Clubs interested as well.

With players down here it usually boils down to do they want to come up the road & play in a perceived poor league but play Champions League / Europa League / OF games or do they stay down here & sign for a lower EPL Club / Championship Club pushing for promotion?

On a separate note Alex Neil has said he is hopeful of Daniel Johnson signing a new deal so looks like he's changed his mind.
I, obviously, haven’t seen as much of this lad as you have but, I cannot see him being a better “defensive” defender than Helander.
I guess that needs an explanation.
Unlike full backs, I’d suggest centre backs need to be defenders first and foremost.
I think why Balogun get the nod from Gerrard is his pace and distribution.
I think if we were playing a real defending game, Helander would be the selection.
So, if your man is a better defender than Helander, he’d be a better defender than Balogun.

Dont see how he can be on par with helander but balogun is better given helander is better than balogun.

I, obviously, haven’t seen as much of this lad as you have but, I cannot see him being a better “defensive” defender than Helander.
I guess that needs an explanation.
Unlike full backs, I’d suggest centre backs need to be defenders first and foremost.
I think why Balogun get the nod from Gerrard is his pace and distribution.
I think if we were playing a real defending game, Helander would be the selection.
So, if your man is a better defender than Helander, he’d be a better defender than Balogun.
Dont see how he can be on par with helander but balogun is better given helander is better than balogun.

This is probably where you guys have the edge over me as I don't see all of our games but from what I've seen I prefer Balogun over Helander if I had the choice between the 2. Every time I've seen Balogun play he's been excellent whereas I can't always say the same of Helander but like I say I don't see all of the games.

That's not to say Helander isn't decent, I've seen him have some excellent games but I've seen Balogun be more consistent.

Davies is a good defender 1st & foremost, he started his career at FB, has progressed to CB, has really improved his defending & should be coming towards the prime of his career. He would be a good addition.

Going by one of their forums on their big 4 players out of contract they rate Pearson then Davies as being two that could excel at a higher level not much love for Johnson or Browne though
Johnson wouldn’t be a fit in our set up imo. He’s getting on, no resale value and would be a step down to what we already have.

Pearson & Davies are deffo (IMHO) the 2 that could certainly kick on & play at a higher level.

Browne has signed a new 3 1/2 year deal so he won't be going anywhere & Alex Neil said after the game on Saturday he was hopeful of Johnson signing a new deal.

He also said he won't play Pearson cos he's made it clear he wants to leave but Johnson is still getting selected so that kind of backs that up.

He'll replace Balogun IMO. I don't see us extending his deal. I also think we'll punt Edmondson back down south.

That'll give us two left sided centre backs in Helander and Davies as well as Goldson and hopefully a fully fit Niko.

He'll replace Balogun IMO. I don't see us extending his deal. I also think we'll punt Edmondson back down south.

That'll give us two left sided centre backs in Helander and Davies as well as Goldson and hopefully a fully fit Niko.

SG said in his press conference the other week he wanted him to stay though?

I see Davies (or someone else) as a replacement for Edmondson.

Some descriptions make BD of PNE sound a little like sasa papac , a time who has seen him offer an idea as to how quick he is ?

The obvious aspect I see in this profile is 6’ 0’’ tall is wayyyy below what SG asks for in his CD so there could be some sort of gap here

He's 6 ft 1 according to Preston's official website. As for his pace...

Davies has been such a key part of Alex Neil’s side over the last three-and-a-half years, and he possesses many appealing attributes; he’s quick, he reads the game well and he is superb at progressing the ball out from the back.

Most notably though, Davies is left-footed. Left-footed centre backs are gold dust in the modern game, so if Davies leaves, Preston have to find another one to replace him.

He will replace Edmundsons spot in the squad. Can see both Edmundson and Katic being either sold or put on loan in the summer. Don’t think any of them have a future at the club.

I know the Balogun/Helander debate seems to always come down to pace, but the biggest thing for me between them is positioning.

Helander is much better at being in the right place at crosses, especially low ones, see Parkhead etc. At the Motherwell goal at the weekend I just couldn't help but think that he would have been sliding in to try and cut out that cross.

Balogun is fairly old, SG sometimes doesn't seem to be keen on some of the others. I had thought with the fee we paid for Helander he'd feature more, but I can't disagree with the results.

However I suspect this is about landing a good new asset on a free.

We also know that at some point we will have to sell players, even the likes of Goldson, should an acceptable offers be received.

Aye, both Rangers and Celtic are going for him :rolleyes: swear every outlet puts this in their rumours same with Arsenal and Spurs.

Makes sense but The Gaffer seems to prefer Balogun over Helander at the moment. I don't think Big Fil will hang around if he's on the bench every week.

Katic will need a loan move next season and Edmundson will be the same.

Balogun will have one more season with us so a 4th CH would make sense although I think it should go to someone like Mayo.

The biggest worry is Goldsons contract

I know the Balogun/Helander debate seems to always come down to pace, but the biggest thing for me between them is positioning.

Helander is much better at being in the right place at crosses, especially low ones, see Parkhead etc. At the Motherwell goal at the weekend I just couldn't help but think that he would have been sliding in to try and cut out that cross.
Good to see the Swedes sticking up for their own. Helander typifies a Swedish centre back, I hope he’s here for the long term.

Johnson wouldn’t be a fit in our set up imo. He’s getting on, no resale value and would be a step down to what we already have.
He might not have resale value but he's coming in on a free so a few older lads wouldn't be scoffed at imo Davis Defoe McGregor and Balogun are similar in that aspect

He might not have resale value but he's coming in on a free so a few older lads wouldn't be scoffed at imo Davis Defoe McGregor and Balogun are similar in that aspect

Ive watched him a few times now I think you could get much better than him in all honesty.

Didn’t seem like an upgrade at all on Jack, Kamara Davis or arfield.

Was the first thing I sent my mates straight after the goal, Helander blocks that area where the ball gets through.

I can only imagine Gerrard has thought Balogun was the better option the last few games due to the style of the opposition's play.

Helander, for me anyway, is far superior to Balogun.

I think Goldson’s positioning was far more questionable.

He moved forward & created the hole for Watt to run into.

Once they’re behind you, you are in trouble.

Last edited:
Could see Katic going out on loan also. He is going to need some football.

I agree.

He'll possibly be 4th choice central defender when he returns and he'll need regular competitive game time to get back to his best and even improve.

Why would he be playing him nearly every game recently yet as of May he wont want him? This literally makes zero sense. SG was talking about him only last week.

Now ain't the time for contract talk and activating clauses, focus is all on the league.

Back