Pre contract for Preston’s Ben Davies?

I think Goldson’s positioning was far more questionable.

He moved forward & created the hole for Watt to run into.

Once their behind you, you are in trouble.
I agree, it was a really good goal by them but totally avoidable (as most goals are). Goldson steps out needlessly as Tav is already there, they get in behind & were in trouble.

However, I agree with other posters that Helander would be there to clear like he has been on so many occasions.

I agree, it was a really good goal by them but totally avoidable (as most goals are). Goldson steps out needlessly as Tav is already there, they get in behind & were in trouble.

However, I agree with other posters that Helander would be there to clear like he has been on so many occasions.

Helander had an interception very similar to this situation at Parkhead IIRC, so yes there’s undoubtedly a chance he’d have read that EB.

Both have their qualities, and I’m happy with both, and our goals against illustrates a clear improvement from last season.

The only argument people have to start Balogun over Helander is that Balogun has more pace.

Domestically I’ve yet to see Helander get massively caught out due to his lack of pace - only game I’ve seen him properly struggle is against Benfica in Portugal

Helander is miles and miles ahead of Balogun as a defender, our defence as a whole looks a lot steadier when he’s in there too imo.

Not a slight on Balogun btw, I think he’s been very good for us but I’d be keen to see Helander back in the team soon.

I imagine Davies would come in to compete with Goldson and Helander with one of Balogun, Katic or Edmundson moving on.

I think we may also be preparing for the likes of Goldson attracting clubs in the Premier League down south. A team that has conceded 6 goals by January makes people sit up and take note.

Balogun is good but I prefer Helander too. I feel Balogun switches off occasionally and lets strikers drift off him. Saying that I would keep both

Once they’re behind you, you are in trouble.
Goldson had a ropey first 15/20 minutes in general, getting dragged out into the right back position, indeed he and Tav's coordination seemed out of sinc, which has been exceedingly rare this season. With regard to the Balogun, Helander selection, we're fortunate to have both to choose from. I favour Balogun, but only slightly, and have no issue with others who may differ.

We are a better side with helander in it IMHO. But could there also be the possibility that gerrard is also trying o manage helander in terms of notnover using him after his bad injury last season plus he's also had covid so he may be struggling to play every game

Tend to agree that goldson pushed it to wide then tav then had to go into that position which then kamara or hagi didn't fill the position tav should have been in.

And then ball comes across I think balogun is out of position to cut it out as its an own goal if he makes contact. Helander I think cuts the ball out of their I think out moved into the position tav had to go into which then allows tav and goldson to block the cross.

It wasn't that anyone was overly out of position it was more how as a unit we didn't defend the box

Tend to agree that goldson pushed it to wide then tav then had to go into that position which then kamara or hagi didn't fill the position tav should have been in.

And then ball comes across I think balogun is out of position to cut it out as its an own goal if he makes contact. Helander I think cuts the ball out of their I think out moved into the position tav had to go into which then allows tav and goldson to block the cross.

It wasn't that anyone was overly out of position it was more how as a unit we didn't defend the box

Yes, your last paragraph is where I think people can question Balogun.

He should have filtered to the RHS due to Goldson being so far right. I’d have wanted him to be at the front post defending that cross, as Helander was in the Parkhead game when Goldson was well right.

Perhaps SG is looking to go to three at the back next season it would make sense with Rangers having the two best wing backs in the league, the obvious replacement is probably for George Edmundson,Davies would be a massive upgrade hopefully Katic will make a full recovery giving the Gaffer four quality centre backs
I don’t honk he’ll change the system. No need.

That’s how I see it too tbh it’s primarily a challenge in keeping your structure and placing and then you are automatically in the correct zone - you then just need to manage the opposition .
What happened on Sunday imo was Motherwell moved us around quite a bit in the opening quarter .

Balogun got himself out on lhs and beat twice and at the goal I felt it had to be neutered earlier in that play . Watt dragged CG out to sideline , recycled inwards which was marked by tavern over and maybe one other but CG was drawn into that area and lost awareness of Watt then re-entering the zone and he simply walked away from him and tbf slid a lovely precise low cross for his striker to step onto and roll it in .

All good play from Motherwell but poor by us .

Last edited:
There’s no chance of Katic being pushed out the club
Katic will miss most, or all of this season. He needs to play for 6 months to get up to speed and we won't take a chance on him so he go on loan or get sold.
I love him, but 18 months after he arrived, I felt he was making more mistakes than when he first arrived. I'm not convinced he has improved.

Katic will miss most, or all of this season. He needs to play for 6 months to get up to speed and we won't take a chance on him so he go on loan or get sold.
I love him, but 18 months after he arrived, I felt he was making more mistakes than when he first arrived. I'm not convinced he has improved.
He won’t be leaving the club on a permanent basis.

I might be getting him mixed up but is he not a left back or maybe he was early on in his career?

Decent player though

**Edit turns out I was thinking of the boy at spurs, nae idea this other guy**

Tbh when it comes to transfers in the media Gerrard gives nothing away. Not to say we are in for Davies or anything, just that no chance Gerrard is saying so to the media

Back