Predicted spend before fees received

Northampton_Loyalist

How much do we see the club spending on transfers this summer before looking at any fee we may pull in for departures?

King has hung his hat on Gerrard and Gerrard has had his settling in period so I fully expect the board to back him. I think we raised around £12 million un-budgeted cash from Europe this season and with bumper season ticket sales and the potential of an end to the merch farce, I think we will see in the region of 7-8 million spent before we add any incoming money!

Those kinds of figures, spent well, could see a significant difference in turning draws into wins.

I am more excited about next season than I was about this! Less unknowns, the old firm monkey off our bak and the manager settled in, I think it could be a great one for us.

How much do we see the club spending on transfers this summer before looking at any fee we may pull in for departures?

King has hung his hat on Gerrard and Gerrard has had his settling in period so I fully expect the board to back him. I think we raised around £12 million un-budgeted cash from Europe this season and with bumper season ticket sales and the potential of an end to the merch farce, I think we will see in the region of 7-8 million spent before we add any incoming money!

Those kinds of figures, spent well, could see a significant difference in turning draws into wins.

I am more excited about next season than I was about this! Less unknowns, the old firm monkey off our bak and the manager settled in, I think it could be a great one for us.
I think we'll sell Morelos regardless mate for a minimum of 12 million,hopefully nearer 15 million.
I hope whatever we get for him is given to SG for transfers,and whatever other money raised from ST sales,merchandise etc. can go to the day to day running of the club and stadium improvements etc.

Another net spend of six million or whatever it was last summer quite simply isn't going to enable us to make the improvements required to genuinely be title contenders-and I'm not having a go at the board when I say that btw,it's just how I see the facts of the situation we're in.

12-15 million utilised wisely-could make a massive difference imo to get us to where we need to be to start claiming silverware.I think we can do it next season.

Fingers crossed. If we well Morelos, we probably need to spend £20m in total. Will we? Not so sure but Celtc will spend significantly, especially if they make the CL. We need to pray they don’t.

Finger in the air - £12m from moving players on plus £4m from the board.
Total of £16m to spend on 5 to 6 players.
Let's make some good strong signings and go for it next year.

I think we were around £7m-£8m net last season. Despite the EL funds coming in we need to be prudent. I reckon a figure of £7m PLUS all incoming fees will be our lot this Summer. What sort of total figure that takes us to depends on whether Morelos and/or Tav are sold.

I’m not sure about spending before fees received, as at the end of the day, I don’t get why that’s significant.

But at the end of the summer I expect us to have spent around 15m on transfers.

I’m not sure about spending before fees received, as at the end of the day, I don’t get why that’s significant.

It is significant because keeping Tav and Alfie and spending £x is the baseline, with incoming money going primarily (but obviously not solely) to replace whichever leaves.

I would say 12m needed will the shareholders fund that though? how much of the cash they raise in the next share issue will they use to fund it or will it go to convert the outstanding 12m of the soft loans they put in? How much retail money will we make this season and at the end of the next? Will the dispute will SD be sorted so that money can be used on the team? How much money will we get from our main shirt sponsors? There's a lot of questions suppose we will see in the coming months what the answers will be

I expect us to receive roughly the same in with transfer fees ,it would be great to break even or even have a small profit next season and spend £15 million on transfer fees and win the league :))

I expect us to receive roughly the same in with transfer fees ,it would be great to break even or even have a small profit next season and spend £15 million on transfer fees and win the league :))

It would but I think that’s unrealistic. That scenario would have us pretty much ‘back’ if you get what I mean - I think we are a few seasons off that stage personally.

think we really need that other lot to stand still to allow us to get ourselves consistently in front of them going forward, sadly i think desmond will recruit a decent name for them and provide decent money for them ,of course its all about how its spent and how our respective managers can get their teams performing, at this point in time they ultimately have the greater resources available to them and that more often than not usually prevails come the time to hand out the trophies

Pretty certain the board will push the boat out and back Gerrard with some serious cash hopefully about £10m-£12m before player sales.

The talk of a Morelos replacement costing loads may not be true. We probably don't want a like-for-like forward, we got a Rolls Royce player when we thought we were getting a BMW at best. We have played some great football without him and should perhaps be looking for a less expensive partner for Defoe.

What ever it is we need quality over quantity.

We can’t spend well in excess of £10 million again this close season to inflate an already inflated squad.

The talk of a Morelos replacement costing loads may not be true. We probably don't want a like-for-like forward, we got a Rolls Royce player when we thought we were getting a BMW at best. We have played some great football without him and should perhaps be looking for a less expensive partner for Defoe.
I think the likes of a Koljic or similar might be realistic,a guy that's maybe in the 2-3 million quid bracket.

Whereas a guy maybe like Prevljak,although a superior player and who would probably cost the guts of 7 million-would be unlikely I would suggest.

I think we might try and improve the attacking areas across the positions generally,rather than try and find another Morelos that we imho,rely on too much a lot of the time anyway-sometimes even possibly to the detriment of the team overall.

I think we'll sell Morelos regardless mate for a minimum of 12 million,hopefully nearer 15 million.
I hope whatever we get for him is given to SG for transfers,and whatever other money raised from ST sales,merchandise etc. can go to the day to day running of the club and stadium improvements etc.

Another net spend of six million or whatever it was last summer quite simply isn't going to enable us to make the improvements required to genuinely be title contenders-and I'm not having a go at the board when I say that btw,it's just how I see the facts of the situation we're in.

12-15 million utilised wisely-could make a massive difference imo to get us to where we need to be to start claiming silverware.I think we can do it next season.

100% this, if we only have a net spend of around 6 million, we will be chasing our tails again!

Whatever there is to spend, I want Gerrard given the full season (and preferably the next) without people clambering for his head. With no respect to Gary Mac, I think possibly an older head might have been better for a rookie manager, however on the other hand maybe it was best for him to do it his way. Tough call. Anyhoo, Go Stevie !!

What ever it is we need quality over quantity.

We can’t spend well in excess of £10 million again this close season to inflate an already inflated squad.

Out of contract -
Wallace
Mcaulay
Hodson

End of loan
Worrall
Kent
Davis

Thats 6 definitely leaving just for starters that will need replaced.

Can also see the following players sold/released or loaned again.
Holt
Dorrans
Dodoo
Foderingham
Alnwick
Herrera
Lafferty

And thats before we even mention the rumoured transfer interest in -
Tavernier
Jack
Arfield
Morelos

Do you still thinkthe squad will be inflated once the window opens?

Can't see us spending any more than 10 million. Got to be frugal still.

We have a strong base now so thats still enough to win 55 if spent wisely and topped up with quality loans.

Out of contract -
Wallace
Mcaulay
Hodson

End of loan
Worrall
Kent
Davis

Thats 6 definitely leaving just for starters that will need replaced.

Can also see the following players sold/released or loaned again.
Holt
Dorrans
Dodoo
Foderingham
Alnwick
Herrera
Lafferty

And thats before we even mention the rumoured transfer interest in -
Tavernier
Jack
Arfield
Morelos

Do you still thinkthe squad will be inflated once the window opens?

The question is who would we really want to keep.

Wallace, Hodson, Holt, Herrera, Dodoo never really played for us this season, and I can’t see any of them returning other than Dodoo possibly.

McAuley, Davis, and even to an extent Lafferty have been bit part players.

Worral and Kent if they do go will need replaced.

We will have Murphy and hopefully Dorrans returning next season from injury.

Rossiter will hopefully come back like a new player, hopefully the same as Docherty with the game time he has had.

Decisions will need to be made on Hardie and Barjonas coming back. Other than Middleton we never really blooded any youngsters this season either.

If Tav, Jack, Arfield, and Morelos were also to go, we would be starting the season with a possible line up of

McGregor
Flanagan/Polster, Goldson, Katic, Barisic
Candeias, Kamara, Rossiter, Docherty, Murphy
Defoe

Subs, Halliday, Dorrans, McCrorie, Grezda, Middleton

However as it stands with Davis going and 3 coming back from loan and others returning from injury we would have a midfield of 10 competing for 3 central positions
Arfield, Jack, Kamara, Holt, McCrorie, Docherty, Rossiter, Halliday, Dorrans, Polster
2 out of four competing for the wide positions: Candeias, Grezda, Murphy and Middleton

That is way too much.

Finger in the air - £12m from moving players on plus £4m from the board.
Total of £16m to spend on 5 to 6 players.
Let's make some good strong signings and go for it next year.

If, as expected, Alfie does leave at the end of the season, I'd hope for considerably more than £12 million [for him alone]

As a simple rule of thumb, I think we need to add 3 or 4 players around the £3m mark.

I know it’s not as simple as that (£3m wouldn’t get you much in the EPL or Championship for instance, but could do in the likes of Scandinavia or The Balkans, etc).

We will probably target free agents or players in the last year of their contracts, maybe pick up another couple of loans, but it’s quality we need to add first and foremost so something around £10-12m is probably what’s needed this summer.

Considering we spent around £8m last season and have had the EL run to boost the coffers since, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

If we are serious about having a sustained tilt at the title next season we should be looking at spending close to 10m net on transfer fees in the summer

15m before player sales. The wage budget should also be increased. If any less than this is invested, we're standing still. Lets not beat around the bush, 7m or so won't cut it, we all know it. Back the manager or tell the fans were still in transition and are handing them another title.
Proper money for proper players. This will be our 4th season back, let's stop fucking playing at it!

I think the budget will almost entirely come from fees brought in.

The club is predicting breaking even or thereabouts (on an EBITDA basis) so anything over the fees would have to come from borrowing.

"Given that the bulk of the Club’s income falls into the first six months of any season, the Board is satisfied that the results for the full year will be good, with the Club forecasting to be close to break-even for EBITDA for the year. "

I don't think there will be a rounded budget figure, but I can't see much resistance to Gerrard getting the players he wants.

I think he'll be fully backed this summer.

I think our net spend this season was around £9M. I expect a similar ballpark figure, maybe a few million more depending on incoming fees.

Big window coming up for Stevie, the DF, scouts and board.

To be blunt, if we get the incoming players right and hold onto the core of the team, then £10M could be enough if spent on the right players. Equally we could waste £20M and not be any closer to the scum, if we get the signings wrong.

I know that's captain obvious stuff, but it worries me a bit. In terms of those we had high hopes for last season it would seem that SG doesn't fancy Katic or Grezda that much, and Barisic has found it difficult to cement his place in the team for one reason or another. We need a bit of a higher "hit" rate with our signings this year, regardless of the budget.

Our board has pushed the boat out and put their hands in their pockets while remaining prudent and restoring a bit of financial credibility to the club. Our problem is that while underlying earnings are growing strongly we just don't have much working capital. This means it is easier for us to pay high wages than to pay large transfer fees. We can get alot more bang for our buck paying for loan players and out of contract players. There are down sides to this approach but it is the smart play for us in the short term. High wage glamour loans, quality out of contract players and hanging on to as much of our current talent as possible is the plan. The one exception to this is central defence where a limited talent pool and need for stability will force us to make purchases.

Think it’s is unlikely that we will spend big money on any individual players. Players who attract high transfer fees have an expectation of wages that they can get in England but we would not be prepared for pay. Instead, would be surprised if our initial spend would exceed £5-6m even if we get a decent fee for the likes of Morelos. While our financial situation has improved, it is still not great and while it is beyond dispute that our team needs more quality, other clubs will try and screw us, particularly, if we get Morelos money and would imagine that there asking prices will not be accommodated. So, players from lower leagues, out of contract players and loans are likely to be on our agenda. Understand that’s not what many will not want to hear but the journey to progress can often take longer than we would like.

The sums of money in the market we are dealing in rarely gives guarantees.
We have to be shrewd and find the Alfredo Morelos's before they become Alfred Morelos.
If you know what I mean.
This is possibly the most important signing window in the club's history and will surely make or break Steven Gerrard at Rangers.

15m before player sales. The wage budget should also be increased. If any less than this is invested, we're standing still. Lets not beat around the bush, 7m or so won't cut it, we all know it. Back the manager or tell the fans were still in transition and are handing them another title.
Proper money for proper players. This will be our 4th season back, let's stop fucking playing at it!

Really? Pray tell where this vast sum of money is coming from, given that the Club are likely to lose money again this season. The last share issue reduced 'soft loans' to circa £12m I believe - that's still a lot of dosh that will, hopefully, be reduced further by yet more share issues.

I think the net spend last season was in the region of £7m-£8m. I'd expect the same again PLUS any incoming fees. We simply cannot spend money we do not have. We have to manage our way back without jeopardising the Club's future. It may not be as quick as we'd all like but there really is no alternative.

Really? Pray tell where this vast sum of money is coming from, given that the Club are likely to lose money again this season. The last share issue reduced 'soft loans' to circa £12m I believe - that's still a lot of dosh that will, hopefully, be reduced further by yet more share issues.

I think the net spend last season was in the region of £7m-£8m. I'd expect the same again PLUS any incoming fees. We simply cannot spend money we do not have. We have to manage our way back without jeopardising the Club's future. It may not be as quick as we'd all like but there really is no alternative.

I guess it comes down to whether we are including wages or not because King has today promised about £15 million to be spent on players before sales.

I guess it comes down to whether we are including wages or not because King has today promised about £15 million to be spent on players before sales.

The way King's statement is worded, I would say it includes wages as well. I can't see us spending £15m plus on players unless we have significant fees from player sales.

Mr Murray ?????

The way King's statement is worded, I would say it includes wages as well. I can't see us spending £15m plus on players unless we have significant fees from player sales.

Of course it includes wages, signing-on fees, Agents fees etc. I’m pretty sure King said exactly the same thing this time last year or, perhaps, the year before. Maybe both. The net spend last year was ultimately circa £7m-£8m.

You could argue that, with the vast majority of our costs being spent on the first team and us still making a loss, we are already spending every penny of season ticket money on the first team. I don’t think he’s seeking to mislead, but I do think it’s a fairly unsubtle play on words.

Last edited:
Of course it includes wages, signing-on fees, Agents fees etc. I’m pretty sure King said exactly the same thing this time last year or, perhaps, the year before. Maybe both. The net spend last year was ultimately circa £7m-£8m.

You could argue that, with the vast majority of our costs being spent on the first team and us still making a loss, we are already spending every penny of season ticket money on the first team. I don’t think he’s seeking to mislead, but I do think it’s a fairly unsubtle play on words.

Which is why I said WE...his comments were clear, this thread has not really talked wages etc.

In the season ticket renewal bumph

The only bit I can see is this

"We feel this is not an excessive increase and every fan should know that the season-ticket revenue will solely go towards the first-team squad. "

Are you reading that as him saying it will be money provided to buy new players. That's not my interpretation.

Or are you looking at a different part.

Back