Premier League clubs in 'moral vacuum' and players should sacrifice salary - politicians

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Premier League clubs are living in a “moral vacuum” and players should be first to sacrifice salaries during the coronavirus pandemic, say politicians.

Julian Knight, the chair of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport committee, has condemned the actions of some Premier League clubs, who have furloughed non-playing staff.

Tottenham, Newcastle and Norwich have opted to utilise the government’s job retention scheme during the pandemic.

“It sticks in the throat,” said Knight.

“This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre.”

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan told BBC Radio 5 Live that top-flight players should be the ones to “carry the burden”.

“My view is always that those who are the least well-off should get the most help,” he said.

“Highly paid football players are people who can carry the greatest burden and they should be the first ones to, with respect, sacrifice their salary, rather than the person selling the programme or the person who does catering or the person who probably doesn’t get anywhere near the salary some of the Premier League footballers get.

“It should be those with the broadest shoulders who go first because they can carry the greatest burden and have probably got savings, rather than those who work in catering or hospitality who have probably got no savings and live week by week and who probably won’t get the [government] benefits for five weeks.”

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme means the government will pay staff placed on furlough - temporary leave - 80% of their wages, to a maximum of £2,500 a month.

Knight is concerned that the scheme is not being used in the appropriate way.

"This isn't what it's designed for. It's not designed to effectively allow them to continue to pay people hundreds of thousands of pounds, while at the same time furloughing staff on hundreds of pounds," said the MP for Solihull.

"I don't know whether or not the Treasury can legally turn down these applications.

"But at the same time I think football needs to have a good, long, hard look at itself and see whether or not morally this is really right and whether or not actually what they need to do is come to an arrangement with some of their stars so they can continue to pay their [non-playing] staff 100% of their wages rather than furloughing them on 80%."

While some clubs have opted to use that scheme, a number have taken other steps to reduce their costs while football is suspended during the pandemic.

Players at Championship leaders Leeds United have already volunteered to take a wage deferral while Birmingham City players who earn more than £6,000 a week have been asked to take a 50% cut for the next four months.

In Europe, Barcelona players have taken a 70% pay cut while Juventus players and manager Maurizio Sarri have agreed to freeze their pay for four months.

However, Lord Mervyn King, former governor of the Bank of England, says Tottenham's decision is fair, and Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive and deputy chairman Paul Barber says he can understand why clubs such as Spurs would furlough staff.

Brighton have committed to paying all matchday staff until the end of the season but Barber says he cannot rule out having to make cuts.

“It’s a very difficult time for everybody and I can fully understand why people think that the football industry and particularly the Premier League has got a lot of cash,” he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“In many cases that’s not the case, it’s a bit of a myth, but what we have to do is protect jobs.

“We’re doing whatever we can to do that and that’s the priority at the moment for just about every industry in the country, including ours.”

Premier League and English Football League clubs are set to discuss a collective wage deferral agreement at a meeting with the Professional Footballers’ Association on Wednesday.

I’ve always said that the EPL wages couldn’t be sustained long term.

Always thought the bubble would burst eventually and this could be the start.

The fees we all pay Sky and BT have increased regularly every year and the majority of it goes to the EPL.

They throw us the scraps to keep the Old firm games ( which get higher UK viewing figures than most ).

EPL this season have also sold games to Amazon prime.

The facts are that the EPL like any other top league have a number of top teams and the rest are mediocre or average.

Sports salaries should be capped across the board.

Totally agree with the sentiment. The least these clubs should be doing is paying the other 20% of ordinary staff wages if they are not cutting player wages.

There’s a fairly massive loophole for very rich clubs to exploit, and it’s a shame a few of them have. Not sure how they do it but they need to try and close this off as it’s a horrendous abuse of the tax payer.

The lack of player wages cuts across the EPL so far has been shameful.

How many clubs need their players to take a wage cut at the moment though? Seems like 3 so far and of those, Spurs have a cheek asking anyone to take a wage cut considering their last accounts show something like £123M in the bank and they made a £68m profit.

The response to Spurs’ decision was aggravated by news that Levy had been paid a £7m salary last year, including a £3m bonus for the build of the club’s new stadium, despite its completion taking a year longer than expected.

the guy's an insect

When you read the exorbitant wages players are on it is no surprised to see dissapoiment that clubs are using tax payers money to assist non-playing staff.

It's disgusting seeing the likes of Spurs asking their staff to go on furlough and then having the balls to ask the government for aid.

But as said above, politicians should be the last to complain about it.

I just cannot fathom how football clubs can keep paying the wages of their highest paid staff, furlough their poorest paid staff, and expect the Govt to step in.
Morally bankrupt and i would like to think the Govt would say "hold on a minute, the scheme was not set up to be abused in this way" and knock them back.

Politicians are the ones who failed to prepare the country for a pandemic resulting in death for a few, economic hardship for many and social disruption for every one
They are as usual taking no accountability and I don't see too many volunteering to share in the pain they have caused by their incompetence
If I was throwing a moral vacuum claim around I'd probably direct it there rather than at football clubs who are an easy and obvious target to once again deflect from their own shortcomings

EUio9cdXsAoy_4r

Is anyone honestly surprised at the Fat Leech furloughing the Newcastle staff? He's a piece of subhuman scum that is interested in 1 thing, his bank balance.

Will politicians also donate their salaries?

Self righteous khont.

Not comparable in any way. These are hugely rich football clubs who pay players and coaches an obscene amount of money yet expect the taxpayer to cover the wages of their staff during a time of national crisis. It’s an absolute disgrace and shouldn’t be allowed to happen. I seriously hope we don’t go down this route either. If anyone should carry the burden at football clubs it should be highly paid players and coaches. I think the system should be used by smaller clubs to survive but not those with turnover of multi millions.

Like I suspect we are doing, any chance certain clubs are just going about business quietly?

Not every business decision needs a fucking statement. You can control your relations without the need for constant media hype.

I’ve always said that the EPL wages couldn’t be sustained long term.

Always thought the bubble would burst eventually and this could be the start.

The fees we all pay Sky and BT have increased regularly every year and the majority of it goes to the EPL.

They throw us the scraps to keep the Old firm games ( which get higher UK viewing figures than most).

EPL this season have also sold games to Amazon prime.

The facts are that the EPL like any other top league have a number of top teams and the rest are mediocre or average.

Sports salaries should be capped across the board.

That’s a bit of myth mate, the record viewing figure for the Old Firm in the U.K. doesn’t even beat the average EPL figure and they doubled our record of just over 1 million 16 times last season. Their record for a game in the U.K. is over four times the Old Firm. Their worldwide viewers exceeds 2 billion. We don’t even come close to the worldwide reach of an average EPL team anymore, you’re just not going to get those figures for Rangers v Hibs etc, when those clubs can’t even sell out a 20k stadium, never mind coming close with Ross County v Hamilton.

The majority of the money goes to the EPL because the vast majority of viewers and advertisements go there. Sky don’t just throw money at them, they make a tidy profit on it which Scottish Football could never achieve with only 4 games a season reaching over 300,000 viewers. They are just on a different planet when it comes to reach, we really shouldn’t be comparing our deal to them in any way. We should be comparing our deal to the likes of Norway and Denmark, who we are 10-15million behind as the deal came in a season where the Old Firm only reached 600k, but will probably match in 3 years if we sustain the Old Firm figures from the last two seasons.

Ive posted this point on the other thread about the filth, but the point applies more to the EPL clubs.

It’s possible that if the players take massive pay cuts then then HMRC would actually be down on the deal in comparison to furloughing a lot of the staff.

Someone would need to do the sums but the tax loss from these guys taking say a 30% cut should well be more than the cost To HMRC for the furlough scheme.

I do think it’s morally reprehensible for the clubs to be even thinking about furloughing staff by the way.

He is right, but we are all to blame. Fans I mean. We place these players on a pedestal and enable them to earn such wages.

Daniel Levy and Fat ashley are cretins of the highest order and there actions come at no suprise!

Not comparable in any way. These are hugely rich football clubs who pay players and coaches an obscene amount of money yet expect the taxpayer to cover the wages of their staff during a time of national crisis. It’s an absolute disgrace and shouldn’t be allowed to happen. I seriously hope we don’t go down this route either. If anyone should carry the burden at football clubs it should be highly paid players and coaches. I think the system should be used by smaller clubs to survive but not those with turnover of multi millions.
Aye, but he is still a self righteous khont.

Who is he to say what people do with their wages or money?

Will the public ever forgive cash rich football clubs with gazillions in the bank for taking money out of the public purse during the biggest human catastrophe of our time , when our own NHS are on their knees and our government are all but bankrupt......would you choose to return to support your cash rich club that chose to furlough staff as first course of action , without exhausting all other avenues first ....

It’s repugnant and hopefully history remembers the club’s pulling this stunt and does not reflect well on them.

Admin staff, cleaners, grounds staff, HR etc etc. on £20-£30k a year being made to take 20% pay cuts and their employer claiming the remainder of their wages from the government. Meanwhile, players on £50k a week (that’s over £2.5M a year) plod on collecting their off the scale wages for sitting around the house all day.

This doesn’t reflect well on the clubs. It also doesn’t reflect well on the multi-millionaire players just sitting tight, keeping quiet and happily picking up their full pay.

Ive posted this point on the other thread about the filth, but the point applies more to the EPL clubs.

It’s possible that if the players take massive pay cuts then then HMRC would actually be down on the deal in comparison to furloughing a lot of the staff.

Someone would need to do the sums but the tax loss from these guys taking say a 30% cut should well be more than the cost To HMRC for the furlough scheme.

I do think it’s morally reprehensible for the clubs to be even thinking about furloughing staff by the way.
Most top players will have schemes in place at the moment to nullify their tax bill.
What they actually pay may not be as much as you think.

Politicians are the ones who failed to prepare the country for a pandemic resulting in death for a few, economic hardship for many and social disruption for every one
They are as usual taking no accountability and I don't see too many volunteering to share in the pain they have caused by their incompetence
If I was throwing a moral vacuum claim around I'd probably direct it there rather than at football clubs who are an easy and obvious target to once again deflect from their own shortcomings
How could any politician be blamed for lack of preparation for this pandemic ffs.
Football clubs are ripping the pish here. Take even 5% off the players wage would most likely cover all the non playing staff wages easily. Teams paying players 100k a week but the tax payer picks up the non playing staff wage!! Unsurprisingly Ra sellick first up here to jump on it but add in they will pay the lost 20% to workers while all season we hear how great and cash rich they are! Wonder how the media will spin this one.
Really hope Rangers (players ) lead the way here and agree some sort of deal and do the right thing.

I don't think any football club with a turn over over a million pound should be eligible. Have they not already budgeted for these salaries at the beginning of the season if not why not ? Clubs are just taking the rip .

How could any politician be blamed for lack of preparation for this pandemic ffs.
Football clubs are ripping the pish here. Take even 5% off the players wage would most likely cover all the non playing staff wages easily. Teams paying players 100k a week but the tax payer picks up the non playing staff wage!! Unsurprisingly Ra sellick first up here to jump on it but add in they will pay the lost 20% to workers while all season we hear how great and cash rich they are! Wonder how the media will spin this one.
Really hope Rangers (players ) lead the way here and agree some sort of deal and do the right thing.
Pandemic should not have been a surprise. The scenario has been discussed many times and exercises were run. Contingency plans should have been in place. Clearly they weren't. Even with the 2 month warning from China. It was the job of the politicians to make sure the country was prepared. They failed.
I am always wary of people telling others they should be making sacrifices. Much better to ask what you can do to help rather than demanding others fill the gap.
If anyone wishes to make a salary sacrifice the they deserve credit but no one else should be telling they have to do so.

Pandemic should not have been a surprise. The scenario has been discussed many times and exercises were run. Contingency plans should have been in place. Clearly they weren't. Even with the 2 month warning from China. It was the job of the politicians to make sure the country was prepared. They failed.
I am always wary of people telling others they should be making sacrifices. Much better to ask what you can do to help rather than demanding others fill the gap.
If anyone wishes to make a salary sacrifice the they deserve credit but no one else should be telling they have to do so.

No country on the planet was prepared for this.

He is right, but we are all to blame. Fans I mean. We place these players on a pedestal and enable them to earn such wages.
Fans to blame for players wages?
Really!!!
Fans pay what they have to, to support their team.

No one is telling anyone what they should do but I’m hoping the Rangers players do the right thing and make us proud.
If it makes you happy you blame our politicians.

You couldn't imagine a cut or even a freeze of wages in the EPL would change any players lifestyle in any way not like the majority of the country

Fans to blame for players wages?
Really!!!
Fans pay what they have to, to support their team.
Of course we are to blame. If no one subscribed to sky, BT etc, and boycotted attending matches years ago as soon as prices got too dear, would the players be getting the salaries they are?

its absolutely correct... outrageous that clubs will furlough staff on £20k a year etc, when they pay their players 10 times that in a week... its shameful actually

No one is telling anyone what they should do but I’m hoping the Rangers players do the right thing and make us proud.
If it makes you happy you blame our politicians.
Why would it make me happy?
But they should be held accountable and should not be deflecting the responsibility on to a bunch of sportsmen
Noticed other poster said no country was prepared for this. Firstly it's no defence to say that we were rubbish but so was everyone else. You should aim for better than that
Secondly if you look at Chins (once they got in gear), Korea and Japan amongst others the numbers they are reporting are significantly better than UK. So either they had protocols ready or they are incredibly quick thinkers
If prople believe the politicians have done well and have in place the best systems and protocols to deal with this bearing in mind it has been a scenario talked about for years, probably decades, then that's fair enough.
I would say they've been shown to be negligent and incompetent but would be very interested in arguments against this other than a bald statement that education and preparation were impossible or that country X was worse

Back