Premier League to resume on Boxing Day 2022 after break for Qatar World Cup from November 13

TonySoprano

Premier League to resume on Boxing Day 2022 after break for Qatar World Cup from November 13​

The Premier League has agreed to break during next season after the weekend of November 12 to incorporate the Qatar 2022 World Cup, before resuming fixtures again on Boxing Day, Sky Sports Newsunderstands.

Players will have a week of preparations with their national teams before heading out to the tournament in the Middle East, and only eight days to recover in time for the league's resumption should they reach the final on December 18.

Executives of all 20 Premier League clubs were in London on Wednesday for a scheduled meeting, and the programme for 2022/23 was decided in discussions that lasted approximately four hours and also included a number of other issues.

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow called the idea of a winter World Cup "crazy" and expects the hiatus to bite clubs and fans in England once it begins next year.

He said: "Next season when we play in an equally crazy idea, which is a winter World Cup, we won't see any Premier League football at the peak of our season between November and December, which is something that people are going to have to get used to.

6a0b2be1a93dca5c09cd4c196fd7086002fcfb0f77dbd3a82126c3d4e13811fc_5520665.jpg

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow says he has concerns for the players and fans as the Qatar 2022 World Cup will mean a five-week break in Premier League next winter
"These are decisions that get taken a long time ago. They bite, quite soon. Next season we'll all see that.

"I always have concerns about player welfare but I have more concerns for our fans missing Premier League football in the winter for five weeks, which is our great national tradition and our great national heritage."

The Premier League will also start a week earlier next season - expected to be Saturday August 6 - and finish later on in May than usual, with the FA Cup final to be shifted to June.

Also discussed at the Premier League meeting were Covid-19 protocols following the government's winter plan, which was outlined earlier this month, including 'Plan B' which could involve the need for Covid passports.

Clubs will continue to carry out their own policies in regards to spot checks on supporters at stadiums for vaccination status or negative lateral flow test results, and encouraging staff and players to be vaccinated.

A Premier League 'charter' to stop future plans for a breakaway European Super League was also discussed, but the nine-point plan is said to still be some way from being agreed. However, one source inside the meeting told Sky Sports News they do not need a piece of paper to ensure that does not happen in future; public opinion has already done so.

Still can't believe we're going ahead with the world cup in Qatar at that time of year, honestly thought they would have thought better of it. I wonder what all the other leagues will do regarding a break in the season.

They all usually enjoy a winter break, so I imagine they'll start back up in late January, and probably just extend the season a few weeks at either end. Although there should in theory be less international weekends, so that might sort out some of the matches that would normally be played November/December.

Going to be an absolute shit show.

Best they could do is maybe extend the league through to the end of may and have the FA Cup the first weekend of June. I'd also suggest that they delay the start of the following season to give players some kind of summer break.

Still going to cause problems, particularly for clubs involved in European club qualifiers.

I hate that it's there but reckon it will be class when it does come around. Roll on the football and Christmas parties.

Still can't believe we're going ahead with the world cup in Qatar at that time of year, honestly thought they would have thought better of it. I wonder what all the other leagues will do regarding a break in the season.

Agreed. If for example a league isn’t likely to be affected too badly can they not just carry on? SPL for example if Scotland don’t make it how many players are likely to attend a WC that play here? Probably 1 or 2 tops and those will likely play for us or them. Let the players go and get on with it. I know this won’t work for the top leagues.

Agreed. If for example a league isn’t likely to be affected too badly can they not just carry on? SPL for example if Scotland don’t make it how many players are likely to attend a WC that play here? Probably 1 or 2 tops and those will likely play for us or them. Let the players go and get on with it. I know this won’t work for the top leagues.
If Scotland don't make it (Spoiler, they won't) then Rangers are still likely to be impacted by it. Can't just carry on whilst potentially missing several international players.

I hate the way international football breaks the pattern of domestic games. With the ever-expanding nature of these international events, they'd be as well just cutting out qualification all-together and adding extra groups. Would save a shitload of time.

That said, I'll probably take December off next year anyway. B-D

If Scotland don't make it (Spoiler, they won't) then Rangers are still likely to be impacted by it. Can't just carry on whilst potentially missing several international players.

The only players I could see being impacted are Aribo and Balogun (who will probably leave next summer anyway). We else do we have who’s nation is likely to qualify?

It’s impossible to say for sure but Scotland, NI, Finland, Romania are all unlikely to qualify. Sweden may Colombia may but even if they do would Alfie even be called up. It’s all if’s and buts.

Any word on how they will work the champions league and europa league fixtures around it, normally played well into december.

Any word on how they will work the champions league and europa league fixtures around it, normally played well into december.
Planning to try play the 6 matchday before 2nd November according to the Times newspaper

Covid 19 has helped then to plan a tighter schedule last season

Nothing better than a World Cup in the summer. Decent weather, it's light until about 10 o'clock, beer gardens watching the games etc.

Qatar can %^*& off.

Back