Premier League TV finances face ruin due to piracy ...

Maturebear63

Official Ticketer
People are always going to pay for sports through TV until another equally as reliable method of watching them comes through.

What would you do if you weren't watching sports? The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
it would bring back attendances and also a level playing field in regards to finances,wages and transferes. Roll on I say.had
TV money spoiled the game and for real fans they know their is very little chance of ever winning a trophy due to the bigger clubs getting a bigger cut of the pie.
Just look back at attendances before the Tv revolution.

Maturebear63

Official Ticketer
I've been saying this for years, it's not a matter of IF it's WHEN pirate streaming changes football back to something like the way it used to be.

The turning point is now fast approaching when enough people become absolutely sick and tired of being ripped off paying £100pcm to pay for the wages of some overpaid arseholes you never watch.

Subscription tv for football will have to adapt and charge a proper price like music has with spotify to stay viable.

I expect big changes in the next 5 years which can only be good for the mighty Glasgow Rangers! ;)
100% correct. ;)

Calvinist

was the headline of an article in yesterdays The Times.

Basically it was a warning by the CEO of beIN Media being given today predicting that the value of TV rights is about to "drop off a cliff". beIN has suffered from organised piracy from Saudi Arabia and because of that they have already decided not to renew deal with F1, value £200m

This year the domestic rights of EPL dropped by £9.2b but this was compensated by a rise in the overseas rights. However if piracy flourishes then the overseas rights will drop in value.

beIN complains that every Champions League & World Cup finals match they broadcast was pirated.

If the bottom dropped out of the TV market I am not too sure as to how I feel. Perhaps it might be the ruin of football or perhaps the saviour for fans
Can’t see much changing , however , a more level playing field would make European competition football more interesting

Big Buff

it would bring back attendances and also a level playing field in regards to finances,wages and transferes. Roll on I say.had
TV money spoiled the game and for real fans they know their is very little chance of ever winning a trophy due to the bigger clubs getting a bigger cut of the pie.
Just look back at attendances before the Tv revolution.
It wouldn't, because clubs with bigger stadiums would have more money to spend.

If we're interested in bringing in a level playing field with regards to finances, we can do that very easily. But it wouldn't be advantageous to us.

BucksBear

Sky sports is becoming a harder and harder sell. They cant charge the same money as before. wait for a special offer and you will be paying £16 a month for the whole set.

Maturebear63

Official Ticketer
It wouldn't, because clubs with bigger stadiums would have more money to spend.

If we're interested in bringing in a level playing field with regards to finances, we can do that very easily. But it wouldn't be advantageous to us.
I agree, but they would not be getting £100 million for being relegated.

govanite

A load of rubbish both owned by Murdoch . This is just to get more people grassing other people in. Murdoch anti British republican.

pepsimax73

As everyone has been posting the money had to run out at some point then what are these billionaires from Russia, Asia and the UAE going to do "l've played with my subbuteo team now I'm bored ach I'll just buy another super yacht"

sonofbunk

Sports will have to adopt a subscription method like Netflix or Spotify. You pay a sub and access the sports you want.

I think eventually clubs in the UK will be able to sell ‘non-televised’ games to their supporters (with the league getting a cut).

bluetonic

I wouldn’t be so sure.

there is a lot of companies changes ownership and their current content being reviewed. It’s not piracy that will kill it but the lack of interest or competition
More players( no pun intended) on the market looking to stream sports content, ie Netflix and Amazon etc

interbear

More power to the pirates in my opinion. The big leagues and the TV companies have turned top level football into a cartel to control the game. Having to subscribe to multiple pay TV providers to watch football is too expensive for most. I’ve cancelled BT Sport and will be doing the same with Sky when my contract is up. If more piracy means the cartel of big clubs in the big leagues losing revenue, good. None of them could give a damn about grass roots football or developing leagues in smaller countries such as Scotland to improve the competitiveness of the game at large. No, they just want their own revenues protected and to lock everyone else out. Enough.

TheRational1

Been hearing about piracy for years for just about everything. The guys beelin and want's something done like many before him. EPL TV rights will be bought for more money next time.

Last edited:

Grange

Might come a point where say Amazon or Netflix runs a two teir package. I pay £12 for four screens uhd on Netflix,with the amount of subscribers these two companies have around the globe they could probably run another subscription for an extra £10 and cover all the sport anybody wants and still make good profit.

SC81

Much like here, some will be and some won't be.

16% of the world lives in Africa.

it's not f*cking Zulu
I've been to Mombasa and Dar es Salaam with work in the last 5 years.

I'm not having it that there is anywhere near the % of people over there with the cash to pay for subscription tv, as in the UK.

Virgil Hilts

It’s preposterous that teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley can blow Rangers, Ajax etc out of the water re fees & wages.

strathavenbear

I can only see the Iptv illegal streams becoming more popular unless there is a big change in the cost and also choice of the way football is shown live.
I would expect the Saturday afternoon blackout of football in the UK will stop soon. Why shouldn't someone in the UK be able to watch their team live on tv at 3pm on a Saturday when the rest of the world can?

jackstar

It’s their own fault because they all charge far too much for their services
I think the best thing to do is a bundle package. Take our game for example we have the spfl on sky,the league cup on bt,the Scottish cup on premier,that is just a mess and means we have to take out two or three subscriptions,crazy. No wonder people are looking for other ways to watch it.

Dofek

Nigerian prince's, they must have plenty of money as they always tell me they have millions for me.
Funny how they always want your bank details to send it to rather than just send you a cheque or even just roll up to your front door with a big %^*& off sized Ali Baba basket full of moolah.

RFC1976

there was a massive IPTV bust about 2 weeks back which wiped almost every one of them out..

but they are all coming back already. it simply wont go away
Even though it was a “massive” bust the site I use for mine was back up and running within two days and now they’ve got a whole new channel set up again , similar to drug dealers take out a load of the top guys and new ones have it the system up and running straight away and probably even better than before

DejaVoodoo

I can only see the Iptv illegal streams becoming more popular unless there is a big change in the cost and also choice of the way football is shown live.
I would expect the Saturday afternoon blackout of football in the UK will stop soon. Why shouldn't someone in the UK be able to watch their team live on tv at 3pm on a Saturday when the rest of the world can?
I think the EPL games will move out of the Saturday 3pm slot permanently at some stage in the near future. Plenty of slots over the weekend where the games can be played televised or not.

The Dude

But this isn't quite the same issue you think it is.

beIN's complaint is that there is a state-sponsored effort by Saudi Arabia to pirate beIN's content, on the basis of the ongoing, uh, "difficulties" between Saudi and Qatar.

beIN is a pretty unique situation. The market for worldwide sports TV distribution is solid for now.
Just wait until someone properly figures out live sports streaming a la Netflix. It's only going to get bigger imo.

TheRational1

Even though it was a “massive” bust the site I use for mine was back up and running within two days and now they’ve got a whole new channel set up again , similar to drug dealers take out a load of the top guys and new ones have it the system up and running straight away and probably even better than before
Big money to be made in them businesses. Wish I had set one up and charged a subscription. The free ones are terrible compared to the ones paid for.

DoubleWhopper

Official Ticketer
Good.

I’m just waiting on BT losing Scottish football so I can save myself 30 a month. I’ll miss the Champions league and Europa league but I’ll live. They’ve given up Scottish football and Serie A because they think all anyone cares about is the CL and the one crap game they show on a Saturday (all the best EPL games are on Sky)

Ibroxkev

Piracy - or sites providing hints on where you could find such content would disappear if Sky et al charged a fair price.

I don’t know about anyone else but the sport is all I watch & whenever I check the planner, Mrs Ibroxkev is recording stuff from Council Tele. Most of the channels on Sky are shite that I wouldn’t watch and whenever you go to surf during adverts, every channel is on the same timer.

Last edited:

Neilston Unionist

Loads of people man. They love the EPL and everyone is supporting Chelsea, United, Liverpool, etc.

Poorer countries obviously but due to the size of some of these countries you have a sizable middle class now.
I think some people think the entirety of Africa is full of huts and deserts too.

glasgowiron

Official Ticketer
The problem is that it's easy to get club TV illegally as well
I work night shift, on Sunday I woke up too late to make the game.

I watched the match on a site which used the RTV stream.

Perfect picture and no buffering whatsoever.

AZBlue

I like the way the NFL address live screening here in Americaland. They only show the local teams live if the game is a sell-out. So only 3:00pm Rangers games would be shown live as no other cants fill their grounds.

Captain_Buns

£20 a month subscription to Bein Sports???

I think not. I only have the sports package from them & I’m over £100 a month (600+ Dirhams)