Premier League TV finances face ruin due to piracy ...

A gentle reminder that this is not the place to discuss the use of illegal streaming methods. Ta.

Sports will have to adopt a subscription method like Netflix or Spotify. You pay a sub and access the sports you want.

I think eventually clubs in the UK will be able to sell ‘non-televised’ games to their supporters (with the league getting a cut).

I wouldn’t be so sure.

there is a lot of companies changes ownership and their current content being reviewed. It’s not piracy that will kill it but the lack of interest or competition
More players( no pun intended) on the market looking to stream sports content, ie Netflix and Amazon etc

More power to the pirates in my opinion. The big leagues and the TV companies have turned top level football into a cartel to control the game. Having to subscribe to multiple pay TV providers to watch football is too expensive for most. I’ve cancelled BT Sport and will be doing the same with Sky when my contract is up. If more piracy means the cartel of big clubs in the big leagues losing revenue, good. None of them could give a damn about grass roots football or developing leagues in smaller countries such as Scotland to improve the competitiveness of the game at large. No, they just want their own revenues protected and to lock everyone else out. Enough.

Been hearing about piracy for years for just about everything. The guys beelin and want's something done like many before him. EPL TV rights will be bought for more money next time.

Last edited:
Might come a point where say Amazon or Netflix runs a two teir package. I pay £12 for four screens uhd on Netflix,with the amount of subscribers these two companies have around the globe they could probably run another subscription for an extra £10 and cover all the sport anybody wants and still make good profit.

Much like here, some will be and some won't be.

16% of the world lives in Africa.

it's not f*cking Zulu

I've been to Mombasa and Dar es Salaam with work in the last 5 years.

I'm not having it that there is anywhere near the % of people over there with the cash to pay for subscription tv, as in the UK.

It’s preposterous that teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley can blow Rangers, Ajax etc out of the water re fees & wages.

I can only see the Iptv illegal streams becoming more popular unless there is a big change in the cost and also choice of the way football is shown live.
I would expect the Saturday afternoon blackout of football in the UK will stop soon. Why shouldn't someone in the UK be able to watch their team live on tv at 3pm on a Saturday when the rest of the world can?

It’s their own fault because they all charge far too much for their services
I think the best thing to do is a bundle package. Take our game for example we have the spfl on sky,the league cup on bt,the Scottish cup on premier,that is just a mess and means we have to take out two or three subscriptions,crazy. No wonder people are looking for other ways to watch it.

Nigerian prince's, they must have plenty of money as they always tell me they have millions for me.
Funny how they always want your bank details to send it to rather than just send you a cheque or even just roll up to your front door with a big %^*& off sized Ali Baba basket full of moolah.

there was a massive IPTV bust about 2 weeks back which wiped almost every one of them out..

but they are all coming back already. it simply wont go away

Even though it was a “massive” bust the site I use for mine was back up and running within two days and now they’ve got a whole new channel set up again , similar to drug dealers take out a load of the top guys and new ones have it the system up and running straight away and probably even better than before

I can only see the Iptv illegal streams becoming more popular unless there is a big change in the cost and also choice of the way football is shown live.
I would expect the Saturday afternoon blackout of football in the UK will stop soon. Why shouldn't someone in the UK be able to watch their team live on tv at 3pm on a Saturday when the rest of the world can?

I think the EPL games will move out of the Saturday 3pm slot permanently at some stage in the near future. Plenty of slots over the weekend where the games can be played televised or not.

But this isn't quite the same issue you think it is.

beIN's complaint is that there is a state-sponsored effort by Saudi Arabia to pirate beIN's content, on the basis of the ongoing, uh, "difficulties" between Saudi and Qatar.

beIN is a pretty unique situation. The market for worldwide sports TV distribution is solid for now.

Just wait until someone properly figures out live sports streaming a la Netflix. It's only going to get bigger imo.

Even though it was a “massive” bust the site I use for mine was back up and running within two days and now they’ve got a whole new channel set up again , similar to drug dealers take out a load of the top guys and new ones have it the system up and running straight away and probably even better than before
Big money to be made in them businesses. Wish I had set one up and charged a subscription. The free ones are terrible compared to the ones paid for.

Good.

I’m just waiting on BT losing Scottish football so I can save myself 30 a month. I’ll miss the Champions league and Europa league but I’ll live. They’ve given up Scottish football and Serie A because they think all anyone cares about is the CL and the one crap game they show on a Saturday (all the best EPL games are on Sky)

Piracy - or sites providing hints on where you could find such content would disappear if Sky et al charged a fair price.

I don’t know about anyone else but the sport is all I watch & whenever I check the planner, Mrs Ibroxkev is recording stuff from Council Tele. Most of the channels on Sky are shite that I wouldn’t watch and whenever you go to surf during adverts, every channel is on the same timer.

Last edited:
Loads of people man. They love the EPL and everyone is supporting Chelsea, United, Liverpool, etc.

Poorer countries obviously but due to the size of some of these countries you have a sizable middle class now.

I think some people think the entirety of Africa is full of huts and deserts too.

The problem is that it's easy to get club TV illegally as well
I work night shift, on Sunday I woke up too late to make the game.

I watched the match on a site which used the RTV stream.

Perfect picture and no buffering whatsoever.

I like the way the NFL address live screening here in Americaland. They only show the local teams live if the game is a sell-out. So only 3:00pm Rangers games would be shown live as no other cants fill their grounds.

£20 a month subscription to Bein Sports???

I think not. I only have the sports package from them & I’m over £100 a month (600+ Dirhams)

I've been saying this for years, it's not a matter of IF it's WHEN pirate streaming changes football back to something like the way it used to be.

The turning point is now fast approaching when enough people become absolutely sick and tired of being ripped off paying £100pcm to pay for the wages of some overpaid arseholes you never watch.

Subscription tv for football will have to adapt and charge a proper price like music has with spotify to stay viable.

I expect big changes in the next 5 years which can only be good for the mighty Glasgow Rangers! ;)
Hear, hear that man.

Piracy - or sites providing hints on where you could find such content would disappear if Sky et al charged a fair price.

I don’t know about anyone else but the sport is all I watch & whenever I check the planner, Mrs Ibroxkev is recording stuff from Council Tele. Most of the channels on Sky are shite that I wouldn’t watch and whenever you go to surf during adverts, every channel is on the same timer.

What's a fair price? There would still be tons of people in the UK and allover the world wanting it for free like anything else imo lol.

I think football will be football regardless of the money.
Young kids starting out will do that whether they ultimately end up getting £1000 per week, or £100,000 per week.
There might be a bit of short term pain of arse falls out of the TV market as teams will have committed huge contracts on the basis of assumed income, but are these players going to stop playing when the next contract can’t be as big?
I can’t see it.

I assume this 'warning' is merely political lobbying from vested interests for tougher measures against piracy. I can almost guarantee this warning will be calling for tougher sentencing etc. If this bod from BeIN sports hasn't explicitly called for tougher sentencing you can bet your bottom dollar someone from Sky or the EPL soon will. CEO's of media firms rarely make statements like this just for the hell of it. There WILL be an agenda.

Football has been corrupt for years from the top down , with only the richest clubs reaping the benefits.
TV money has ruined football , the ridiculous sums footballers are being paid for mediocrity is astounding, I wont be sad to see it brought to its kness.

Money has ruined football and I will be glad to see a level playing field . It started off with seeding teams just to give them a better chance of progressing. A bit like match rigging. Get champions of each country to be in the CL end of. I dont care if I see a CL final between 2 not so elite clubs. All cup comps should be run this way. Not just football any sport in general. Where is the integrity of any sport when it is rigged due to seeding.
Young players today dont even have to try to earn a living. What tier and team was it that boy who left Aberdeen to go down south because he could earn more. 5th or 6th I think. A joke. Players of 17/18/19 years of age driving around in Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. Then the all file for bankruptcy in the end. Money given to agents is another ridiculous amount of money to dish out to some wheeler dealer who provides bugger all to the game. Put the player into the managers office and if he says ok to the deal then it's his lookout if he is not earning enough. He can then either prove his worth through graft and determination to get a better deal either at his club or elsewhere. Players that are on 10K and above a week say it's a short career . At that kind of money it's way more than enough. Yes you can get injuries but they can and probably do insure themselves to cover loss of earning if they get a career ending injury. CEOs of clubs taking in way more money per week than the actual player who entertain the fans.

Pay per view club tv is the way to go with a revamp on security of sites(that's for tech experts to work out). I dont bother watching anybody else . It's just about supporting my club and nobody else. The "elite" clubs will still remain that way because of fanbase but if you get drawn in the 1st round against your closest rivals then so be it. The money that the hard working fans (except mentally challengeds) of the uk puts in just gets wasted Imo. Look at the EPL and how well its national team does yet it's the richest league in the world. How many high profile players play outside the UK.
At the end of the day the CL,UEFA Cup ETC should be on national tv to allow the ordinary man in the street to watch it.and if it causes players, agents and CEO'S getting less money they can all try their hand at being a joiner,bricky,sparky ,nurse, fisherman etc and see how they like doing proper graft for their wages. Pampered pooches dont even know they are born.

It’s their own fault because they all charge far too much for their services
Totally agree probably most folks would rather pay £50 per month instead of £100 for Sky/B.T Then it would give these greedy barstewards more customers,and would do away with piracy.

I've been saying this for years, it's not a matter of IF it's WHEN pirate streaming changes football back to something like the way it used to be.

The turning point is now fast approaching when enough people become absolutely sick and tired of being ripped off paying £100pcm to pay for the wages of some overpaid arseholes you never watch.

Subscription tv for football will have to adapt and charge a proper price like music has with spotify to stay viable.

I expect big changes in the next 5 years which can only be good for the mighty Glasgow Rangers! ;)

TBF the ton a month covers yer phone and broadband and all the goodies that Sky Atlantic offers.

Mon the pirates.

I long for the days that TV companies slash their TV deal offers to the EPL just to watch the teams collectively shit themselves. They've lived the high life for so long it'll be nice to see them come back down to earth with a bump.

Remember 11 of the 20 EPL clubs would've generated a profit without a single fan coming through the door. They've given up on supporters and opted for commercial success instead so hell mend them.

People are always going to pay for sports through TV until another equally as reliable method of watching them comes through.

What would you do if you weren't watching sports? The alternatives don't bear thinking about.

There are already as equal reliable sources.

Its happened with Music, its happened with films and it will happen with sports where the tide will change and its only the tours/ blockbuster/ matching going that will make money.

Netflix and all the other tv streamers need to waken up to as more competition means no-one will buy and everyone will pirate.

Was always going to happen. To many different things to pay for. Should be tailored to what you want to actually watch and then the money distributed proportionally

It would be tremendous if the arse fell out of it. Great for consumers sick of paying £100 a month for their various sports subscriptions. Great for clubs with large followings who get %^*& all TV revenue.

Ditched BT Sport when I subscribed to RangersTV two years or so ago. Sky is getting dumped in January when my 'deal' runs out. Looking at just going with a Freesat box and RangersTV. Should save me a fortune.

The conduit that makes IPTV possible, has been raided by the authorities and closed down.
I am not technical, but I understand there are alternatives, that will bring services back, but it will take a little while to do so. So the system is not bullet proof, though it will recover.

The conduit that makes IPTV possible, has been raided by the authorities and closed down.
I am not technical, but I understand there are alternatives, that will bring services back, but it will take a little while to do so. So the system is not bullet proof, though it will recover.
It recovered within 24 hours.

it was nothing more than a hiccup.

Imho the future will see tailored streaming. So for example I'd pay a monthly fee and request (for example) Rangers, Everton, Valencia, Napoli, Hamburg, plus choice of CL and EL game per match day. Id have those games a available and the rest blocked.

The whole crux of the problem is greed.

There was a time where football was on free to air tv or appeared on a single subscriber service for a reasonable price.

The broadcasters made money through advertising. But then they realised they could fleece punters as well and now anyone wanting all EPL live games in the UK needs about 3 subs at silly price.

Back