Previously unseen pictures of day Forfar dared to dream against Rangers at Hampden

mdingwall

Administrator
Previously unseen pictures of day Forfar dared to dream against Rangers at Hampden

Third-tier Forfar Athletic were 11/1 outsiders on Grand National Day 40 years ago when they came close to inflicting one of Rangers' worst-ever defeats.

Third-tier Forfar Athletic were 11/1 outsiders on Grand National Day 40 years ago when they came close to inflicting one of Rangers' worst-ever defeats.
One of the worst performances I have ever seen from Rangers,we were hanging on at the end.
I lived in forfar and went to the game with my cousin on the train.”what a load of rubbish” was being chanted from the rangers end.
I went to the replay as well and I sneaked on a forfar supporters bus;)

The day after the Falklands were invaded. I was at that game and we were embarrassingly bad and I have to admit I thought they were denied a penalty late on that should have been given. They always caused up problems, with the 1978 LCSF and a 1985 LC game at Dens Park also coming to mind.

The John Greig years as manager had some real horror shows.

This was nearly the worst.

If I remember right, big DJ came back for the replay and scored early on. Even though overweight and less than fit by then, he was still the best striker we had.

I think Cooper missed the first game as well.

I was at that game

Was one of the few at both this and the replay (skipped in both) with Kenny Black, Gordon Dalziel, Colin macadam on it wasn’t one of the best Rangers teams in our history lol

Gordon Dalziel and Martin Henderson must go down as two of the worst centre forwards in our 150 yrs : who’s your worst??
Henderson kept Derek Parlane out of the side for most of the second half of the 75/76 treble winning season.
Jock Wallace picked him, one of our worst centre forwards ever!
As for Dalziel, don’t get me started.

Gordon Dalziel and Martin Henderson must go down as two of the worst centre forwards in our 150 yrs : who’s your worst??
The chance Gordon Dalziel missed that day had to be seen to be believed six yards out with an open goal and he contrived to head it off the bar

I was at the replay.

The John Greig years as manager had some real horror shows.

This was nearly the worst.

If I remember right, big DJ came back for the replay and scored early on. Even though overweight and less than fit by then, he was still the best striker we had.

I think Cooper missed the first game as well.
DJ and cooper being back for the replay made a big difference.iirc DJ missed the cup final v Aberdeen through injury

The day after the Falklands were invaded. I was at that game and we were embarrassingly bad and I have to admit I thought they were denied a penalty late on that should have been given. They always caused up problems, with the 1978 LCSF and a 1985 LC game at Dens Park also coming to mind.
Yep the Rangers support began singing “if you hate Argentina clap your hands”

Reactions: ao2
Henderson kept Derek Parlane out of the side for most of the second half of the 75/76 treble winning season.
Jock Wallace picked him, one of our worst centre forwards ever!
As for Dalziel, don’t get me started.
Signed him for Leicester as well.

We won a treble with Martin Henderson at centre-forward. That was his first season and he was great. He came into the team with Alex Miller and Johnny Hamilton when Derek Parlane and Sandy Jardine got injured and when we kept on winning Jock Wallace did not change the team. A lot of supporters didn’t fancy him because he kept Derek Parlane out of the team. In terms of the worst Jim Christie and Billy Urquhart are right up there.

This was my second visit to Hampden, my first was also goalless, the SC Final v Dundee Utd the year before. My dad was pretty scunnered with the team at this point and was always storming out of matches shouting 'that's it, never again!' but he always went back. After the replay it took me a lot of pleading to get him take me to the final, but he gave in and i was off to another SC final, which i would leave in tears.

Maybe even throw Andy Kennedy in with Dalziel/ Henderson seem to remember he was always hitting the post or bar

You have to wonder how Rangers managed to recruit so much dross at a time when Scotland was teeming with top class footballers.

Great photos and my first ever game at Hampden( was 9) , didn’t go to the reply but went to the final that year in the old North stand, my only memory of the game is DJ missing a header from close range.
Interesting the game was the day if the Grand National as my Dad was more interested in the racing as we walked from Rutherglen main street to Hampden.
Great days

I'm sure that Forfar had a player called Ian McPhee at that time. He used to live just along the road from me when I was a kid.
Yes they did and when we played them at dens in the league cup in 1985.it went to a pen shoot out and he had a pen to win the tie but Nicky walker saved it and it went to sudden death.
I think he was the manager at forfar for a spell as well

Great photos and my first ever game at Hampden( was 9) , didn’t go to the reply but went to the final that year in the old North stand, my only memory of the game is DJ missing a header from close range.
Interesting the game was the day if the Grand National as my Dad was more interested in the racing as we walked from Rutherglen main street to Hampden.
Great days
It wasn’t DJ who missed the header it was Gordon Dalziel

Horrific game, I was in the old North Enclosure with my dad, just remember it being shite, the sparse crowd and Stewart Kennedy being in nets for Forfar.
3rd April 1982, same day as the Argies invaded the Falklands.

I was at that game but remember it as being a poor performance and more concerned that we hadn't scored, rather than them likely to.
We had a run of semi finals against third tier sides in SC and LC about then and made heavy weather of seeing them off. Forfar twice and Montrose. I think we were behind in two of them, at least one going to extra time and this replay.

We won a treble with Martin Henderson at centre-forward. That was his first season and he was great. He came into the team with Alex Miller and Johnny Hamilton when Derek Parlane and Sandy Jardine got injured and when we kept on winning Jock Wallace did not change the team. A lot of supporters didn’t fancy him because he kept Derek Parlane out of the team. In terms of the worst Jim Christie and Billy Urquhart are right up there.

I can well remember Billy Urquhart but not Jim Christie.

I was there I've made the argument a few times arguably the worst Rangers performance in my lifetime....not result but in context performance.

Thanks for posting the photos as it’s subscribe and allow all sorts of cookies on their website. Doesn’t seem like 40 years ago.

was at both games as a 14 yr old from the northeast , i stayed with a relative and was taken to the 1st game but went alone for the replay but a bunch of decent lads kept me right to get the correct bus back to knightswood ? in Anniesland ................... seemed to be a bit of hassle between 2 factions in Rangers end John greig / Jock wallace

Was there that day, think the attendance was an embarrassingly low 15000 and they were treated to an embarrassingly inept Rangers performance. My memory isn't what it used to be but I can recall Forfar coming close in the closing minutes and were also denied a decent penalty shout.

I never missed any Rangers game during this time but did not attend the replay, went to the picutes instead. Was just relieved to hear we had won when I got home.

. In terms of the worst Jim Christie and Billy Urquhart are right up there.
I'm not old enough to have seen Jim Christie play, but 8 Goals in 8 Games does not seem like the worst.
Scored on his home debut in the League Cup, followed that with a brace on his European Cup debut.
24 hours later scored another 2 goals in the League Cup, then 3 days later scored against Celtic in the League.

Latest posts

Back