Prices of football shirts

Thommo2006

With Messi going to Inter Miami I thought I would look up a little bit more about the team and see what their kit is like.

Went on their website and their shirts go for $159 ok it is in dollars but even in £ that is well over £100 for a football shirt.

Prices of shirts are crazy

Its the protectionism that goes on as well. There’s hardly any choice in where to buy, certainly not on the high street, and even online.

For MLS, they are always expensive.

The $159 you see is the "pro version" so it's only £10 more than the new Rangers one.

Thing which gets me is the tax you need to pay on top, which is another $40 + $25 shipping. Ends being $225 a jersey, find an.alternative option ;)

I remember as a young teenager about 20 year ago when new Rangers strips came out and they would be about £30-£40 and thinking that was expensive. Now one strip in the sale costs £30.
Probably still get made for the same price tho in whatever country they get made in.

I'd imagine it's a big part of why there's been such a boom in replicas from places like DHGate.

People wanting to buy a few tops for their kids or whatever, you can go on there and get any that you want for about 15 quid. Buy the actual tops (which there isn't a huge difference in quality) and the same few tops cost you £300 instead of £45...

I can understand £50-60, but £120 for a top is nonsense.

I get directed to the Spanish site it's €98 for the new top £70=€82 don't know why it's another €16 extra.

For MLS, they are always expensive.

The $159 you see is the "pro version" so it's only £10 more than the new Rangers one.

Thing which gets me is the tax you need to pay on top, which is another $40 + $25 shipping. Ends being $225 a jersey, find an.alternative option ;)
No surprise that the DHGate boys are thriving

I remember when the knock-off tops wouldn’t even have the manufacturer (ie. Nike) on it.

Now, you can hardly tell the difference.

I’d never buy a knock-off Gers top though. Would feel dirty.
I done it last season for the AC/DC shirt. It’s a damn good copy, but if the real one was available for longer than 48 hours then I’d have bought it through the official channels.

I've bought a shit ton of fakes over the years from a website named within this fine thread and honestly you struggle to tell the difference between authentic and replicated.

Wait till January or the end of the season and you can get all three strips for the price of what you pay for one at the start of the season.
The problem is young kids want it NOW!

I have 2 wanting the new kit and I’ll take them to Ibrox for it when we visit Glasgow over the summer - it’s eye-watering once you add player names as well.

Last edited:
I'd imagine it's a big part of why there's been such a boom in replicas from places like DHGate.

People wanting to buy a few tops for their kids or whatever, you can go on there and get any that you want for about 15 quid. Buy the actual tops (which there isn't a huge difference in quality) and the same few tops cost you £300 instead of £45...

I can understand £50-60, but £120 for a top is nonsense.
How is the quality from them? My boy wants the Scotland top but im not paying the SFA for it

Older boy has moved up to adult sizes now - £70 for a T-shirt for a 12 year old old!!! At least he’s not fussed about the socks and shorts, anymore.

I think its ridiculous the price of a football top between £70-£80 every year. It's the same price as a Ralph Lauren top or a pair of Levi's.

they are a lot of money but tbf my kids wear them all the time so I’m happy to pay it. Also if you are a budget just wait a few months and you will get them for £20

Wait till January or the end of the season and you can get all three strips for the price of what you pay for one at the start of the season.
Exactly what I do mate. Wasn’t also an issue, but with two Rangers max kids now, it gets too expensive quickly.

How is the quality from them? My boy wants the Scotland top but im not paying the SFA for it

Honestly mate, spot on.

I used to collect Serie A shirts and thought the quality was a big deal, but as they've gotten more and more expensive I've stopped. Grabbed a Napoli and Italy top from them a month or so ago to see how they were and the difference is very minimal to the replica shirts you'll find in stores.

(I'm told that if anyone is getting a top for their kids though to make sure and avoid names or numbers on the back, those are apparently not pressed well at all and will ruin the top pretty quickly).

I bought an Ajax home top for cycling in back in 2014 from Greaves. £62 I was stunned and that was the last shirt I bought. Far too expensive now and I'm almost 53 so I now feel too old to wear a football top.

Honestly mate, spot on.

I used to collect Serie A shirts and thought the quality was a big deal, but as they've gotten more and more expensive I've stopped. Grabbed a Napoli and Italy top from them a month or so ago to see how they were and the difference is very minimal to the replica shirts you'll find in stores.

(I'm told that if anyone is getting a top for their kids though to make sure and avoid names or numbers on the back, those are apparently not pressed well at all and will ruin the top pretty quickly).
Thanks mate, Ill order the Scotland one and see how it is,

I ordered two of the anniversary tops for my boys. They've worn them a fair bit already and they're still pristine. I doubt you could tell the difference between them and one from the shop, but my wallet could definitely tell the difference!

I ordered two of the anniversary tops for my boys. They've worn them a fair bit already and they're still pristine. I doubt you could tell the difference between them and one from the shop, but my wallet could definitely tell the difference!
I havent heard a bad comment about them yet

Wait until further into season when the discounted prices start.

Far too expensive to be buying replica tops as soon as they’re released.
This. Learned my lesson last year with our home pro top. Paid £100 and it was down to £30 after Christmas. Hardly worn it as well.

With Messi going to Inter Miami I thought I would look up a little bit more about the team and see what their kit is like.

Went on their website and their shirts go for $159 ok it is in dollars but even in £ that is well over £100 for a football shirt.

I agree but the cost is the cost.

Surely if the fakes, which feel the same cost 20... The rest is profit. And not to the club

That's for the authentic version. The replica is $90.

I've not used DHGate specifically but there is one in the Florida I've been using and they're good quality. A young kid isn't noticing any differences.

This is an online store I haven't yet used but they have Scotland:

When visiting the wife's hometown in ARG, the Bolivians have a shop. My kids stock up on tops for about $10 each.

The only real one they get is ours.

It baffles me why a grown adult would pay £70 for a football top tbh. Maybe I'm just tight or cos I'm not really a fan of wearing them but it's a ridiculous amount to pay IMO.

I've not used DHGate specifically but there is one in the Florida I've been using and they're good quality. A young kid isn't noticing any differences.

This is an online store I haven't yet used but they have Scotland:

When visiting the wife's hometown in ARG, the Bolivians have a shop. My kids stock up on tops for about $10 each.

The only real one they get is ours.
Thanks for posting the sites, mate, I appreciate it.
The Scotland top looks quite good on that site.

I remember some German journalist (Honigstein?) tried to break down the price of a shirt using the Germany shirt by Adidas as an example. Unurprisingly the price of the actual fabric it is a very small part, but if you add worker salaries and mill operating costs, the profit the actual manufacturing company makes, transportation costs, the chunk the brand takes, the chunk the club or FA takes, the chunk the shop takes, the chunk the distributor takes, marketing costs, the profit the brand makes, etc, etc, plus the knowledge that fans will pay anything you end up with a hefty price.

Greaves have it for £70.

I bought the away top for £30 in there last year.

They are expensive but so is everything. i don’t mind as I know it will get worn lots and it helps the club

I know airport shops can be a bit more expensive but they were asking for 195€ for the pro version of the Croatia top in Dubrovnik airport on Sunday.

It baffles me why a grown adult would pay £70 for a football top tbh. Maybe I'm just tight or cos I'm not really a fan of wearing them but it's a ridiculous amount to pay IMO.

Dont forget "a footballer's career is short". They need loads of money. Micha Richards, for example, pays £200 for a haircut.

Back