Pride of Govan Flute Band statement - Clyde Community Hall

I'm going to Nachos pub on Saturday, probably get to Kinning Park subway for about 11:45. Will the parade be near there and still be going?

The fixtures have been out since June, it takes 42 days to apply for a public Parade, I organise my whole life around Rangers games.
This parade has been on this weekend for as long as i can remember and ive paraded almost all of them. The parade will have been applied for before last seasons fixtures even ended.

I cant speak for every bandsman on both Govan bands but with the love and dedication each has to their own band, the parade, function and band take precedent over Rangers on parade day.

Some may not like that comment but thats how it is.

Flight gets into glasgow at around 9am. Where would be the best place to get a taxi to towatch? Copland road?

Flight gets into glasgow at around 9am. Where would be the best place to get a taxi to towatch? Copland road?

The parade leaves from the top of Craigton Rd, at Benburb Juniors ground at 10am.

If you're not familiar with the area, if you walk past the Albion Car Park and the Wee Rangers Club heading west , straight across the roundabout at Helen St and it's then the next on your left.

Pretty sure you'll be able to follow the crowd towards it too as there will be an excellent turnout .

This parade has been on this weekend for as long as i can remember and ive paraded almost all of them. The parade will have been applied for before last seasons fixtures even ended.

I cant speak for every bandsman on both Govan bands but with the love and dedication each has to their own band, the parade, function and band take precedent over Rangers on parade day.

Some may not like that comment but thats how it is.
I spoke to someone today from the POG, he told me it is on the third Saturday of September every year,and it so happens that this Saturday is the exact day it was formed.
It is just unlucky it is on a home match as they would normally use the Govan Orange Halls.

Never the less the band should have been allowed to use the Community hall as they are part of the Community.

I get what you are saying about how every band member and Lodge member would view it more important than a Rangers game.
It is their way of life, doesn't matter if it doesn't sit right with certain people, it's only their own beliefs that count.

Hope it is a dry day for them. Nothing worse than parading on a wet and windy day.

I always get mixed up between the POG and the GPB, both are outstanding bands and very professional.
I'm surprised they organised it to clash with a home game at Ibrox. Could have booked their usual hall.
A little known fact is that I was the one that organised the inaugural First of July Somme Band parade in Duke Street, think it was about 1998. It was a Friday night and 35 Bands were 0n Parade
Up through Haghill, along the parade, down through Armadale St into Duke St?, remember following the Calvay on this route, thinking it was this?

Up through Haghill, along the parade, down through Armadale St into Duke St?, remember following the Calvay on this route, thinking it was this?
No, The first route ( roughly ) was Glenpark Street,Fleming Street,Duke Street , Bellgrove Street, Abercromby Stret , London Road, Fielden Street. Mllerston Street, Duke Street and Glenpark Street
Biggest Band Parade I had seen

Met big Willie in Vung Tau, Vietnam, many a wee refreshment and a wee sing song, sadly missed and still remembered out there.
Strangely enough I hadn't seen Billy for about 3 years when he came into the pub to see me before going over to the Masonic to meet someone. about a week later he died.
Big man will be sorely missed by an awful lot of people

I spoke to someone today from the POG, he told me it is on the third Saturday of September every year,and it so happens that this Saturday is the exact day it was formed.
It is just unlucky it is on a home match as they would normally use the Govan Orange Halls.

Never the less the band should have been allowed to use the Community hall as they are part of the Community.

I get what you are saying about how every band member and Lodge member would view it more important than a Rangers game.
It is their way of life, doesn't matter if it doesn't sit right with certain people, it's only their own beliefs that count.

Hope it is a dry day for them. Nothing worse than parading on a wet and windy day.
I definitely get all that you have said. My initial thoughts are that the third Saturday in September could still be honoured but perhaps an earlier start would accommodate fans that would wish to see the parade and the match.
I confess to not knowing what restrictions might be in place re parade timings.

I definitely get all that you have said. My initial thoughts are that the third Saturday in September could still be honoured but perhaps an earlier start would accommodate fans that would wish to see the parade and the match.

The parade will be finished early enough so as not coincide with the game traffic mate.

Starts at 10am.

Some people on here might find this hard to believe,but there a lot of band members and lodge brothers who have no interest in Rangers,
To make it clear,as a Season ticket holder and OO member,im not one of them.good luck to the POG on Saturday

Some people on here might find this hard to believe,but there a lot of band members and lodge brothers who have no interest in Rangers,
To make it clear,as a Season ticket holder and OO member,im not one of them.good luck to the POG on Saturday

We all want the same respect / opportunity as every Govan community member who wants to hire the hall.

We all want the same respect / opportunity as every Govan community member who wants to hire the hall.
So do I,I was referring to the fact that parades have to be arranged well in advance,and as others have said the date is the anniversary of the bands foundation

Last edited:
This Parade will be a wee tester to see if there's an actual organized campaign to stop Loyalist marches like we've seen in Ulster .
It will be going through a few mentally challenged hell holes, chances are they'll be wheeling out the poor wee nun or priest or some other hoping they get verbally abused. In Canada now so trying to remember, does this parade not go by The Tall Cranes? I'd expect some goading from mentally challenged locals. Any trouble will be seen as our fault can see the headlines now.

This Parade will be a wee tester to see if there's an actual organized campaign to stop Loyalist marches like we've seen in Ulster .
It will be going through a few mentally challenged hell holes, chances area they'll be wheeling out the poor wee nun or priest or some other hoping they get verbally abused. In Canada now so trying to remember, does this parade not go by The Tall Cranes? I'd expect some goading from mentally challenged locals. Any trouble will be seen as our fault can see the headlines now.

There will be nothing from them mate.

The POG have paraded past the Tall Cranes and Govan Arms many a time and there's never a peep out them.

The POG carry a very good following when heading down there.

There will be nothing from them mate.

The POG have paraded past the Tall Cranes and Govan Arms many a time and there's never a peep out them.

The POG carry a very good following when heading down there.

There was a protest and a few skirmishes 2-3 years ago.

'No Orange feet on our streets' proclaimed their banner.

The parade leaves from the top of Craigton Rd, at Benburb Juniors ground at 10am.

If you're not familiar with the area, if you walk past the Albion Car Park and the Wee Rangers Club heading west , straight across the roundabout at Helen St and it's then the next on your left.

Pretty sure you'll be able to follow the crowd towards it too as there will be an excellent turnout .
Does the parade finish at KP Louden?

Does the parade finish at KP Louden?

It was meant to finish on Brand St I think, which is more Ibrox than KP.

Not sure where the planned finish is now that the use of the hall has been denied.

Maybe someone from the POG could clarify that.

Reactions: TBM
Enoyed what i seen of it, as usual was mostly GPB who were at their normal standards.

Some bands down in numbers, some listed didnt seem to make it but that can happen unfortunately due to shifts etc.

Never dont enjoy a parade on that route!

Best route in the world.

Great start to a Saturday, especially as a Govan Somme Association member and finishing the parade behind the POG .

Now for the game.

Best route in the world.

Great start to a Saturday, especially as a Govan Somme Association member and finishing the parade behind the POG .

Now for the game.
Any idea what the chalk writing was on the pavement at the cenotaph?i noticed it when we were driving to the game

Think it was along the lines of catholics also died in the war, might be wrong, we were moving at the time

Which is what we have been trying to get these thick bastards to try and understand for many , many years but it obviously doesn't suit their agenda.

Which is what we have been trying to get these thick bastards to try and understand for many , many years but it obviously doesn't suit their agenda.
correct, ,Glasgow southside district 49have a parade every year to the memorial garden in the gorbals ,for a local rc james stokes who won a vc for his fantastic bravery in ww1,,of course the local mentally challengeds are not best pleased about this parade taking place,, so go figure

I appreciate that this post won't make me popular with several on here but given that a number of posts on this thread point out that there are many band and lodge members who have no interest in Rangers, I am quite sure there are many Rangers supporters who have little or no interest in the Orange movement and/or marching bands.

The tag line for The Bear Pit is of course "For all football and Rangers-related discussion". So I'd be interested to know why this thread is not in the Lounge ?

I appreciate that this post won't make me popular with several on here but given that a number of posts on this thread point out that there are many band and lodge members who have no interest in Rangers, I am quite sure there are many Rangers supporters who have little or no interest in the Orange movement and/or marching bands.

The tag line for The Bear Pit is of course "For all football and Rangers-related discussion". So I'd be interested to know why this thread is not in the Lounge ?

Judging by the reception the parade received from Rangers supporters pre match along Copland Rd, Edmiston Drive and PRW yesterday, your post may be far more unpopular than you thought.

If you don't like the thread don't open it and there will be no harm done.

Judging by the reception the parade received from Rangers supporters pre match along Copland Rd, Edmiston Drive and PRW yesterday, your post may be far more unpopular than you thought.

If you don't like the thread don't open it and there will be no harm done.

I don't doubt your passion for the parade - it's quite apparent from your posts on here. And it's clear from your posts on other threads that you are passionate about Rangers too.

But with respect I don't think your reply answers the question why a thread about the Pride of Govan Flute Band should appear on a forum expressly intended for "football and Rangers-related discussion". Perhaps a question that admin are best placed to answer.

I don't doubt your passion for the parade - it's quite apparent from your posts on here. And it's clear from your posts on other threads that you are passionate about Rangers too.

But with respect I don't think your reply answers the question why a thread about the Pride of Govan Flute Band should appear on a forum expressly intended for "football and Rangers-related discussion". Perhaps a question that admin are best placed to answer.

I think you could argue that originally the thread was about use of the hall being denied to the band, not long after our fan zone had the same problem mate.

2 cases of similar discrimination against our club and our culture.

Can you see the connection now?

I’m glad it was posted in here to be honest.Otherwise low-count posters like me wouldn’t have known about the underhand tactics being used by elected community representatives nor would we have known that every year Orangemen commemorate a Catholic recipient of the VC.

As an aside,I know a quite a few Falkirk supporters who are orangemen

Back