Prolific SquareMile

Sorry, I should have said he went to Commonhead Primary and played for his school team. I know the Head Mistress that gave him his first game
There was no commonhead primary, he went to bishoploch primary, then lochend secondary. I was classmates with him.

Really? I used to see him drop the kids off before games at his mum's I'm the square at the bottom of Lochdochart Rd. I just always assumed he grew up in that house. I was only a kid myself back then to be fair.
Yea he did live in the square and not commonhead, which is just round the corner.

Alex rae used to booze on a Thursday night so he didn't have a hangover for a game on a Saturday. When he was a young teen.. loads fall into the traps. It's mad though like most will go feck it I'd rather go out with my pals but it's the ones who can break the mould that succeed in most cases
Less and less young folk drink now. That's not a bad thing. Although 'The alternatives ' seem to be more prevalent.

No modern day players (i don't think the village really exists anymore) but Glenbuck has to be up there. Huge amount of players that played in the top flight in Scotland and England for such a small place.
It's a shrine for Liverpool fans. Lots of scarfs, tops etc left. I visited during Covid. Shankly"s niece happened to be there. Told us lots of stuff about her Uncle Willie and the village. Interesting, but very bleak place. Just over the Ayrshire/ Lanarkshire border.

Reactions: ozo
A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
The square mile from Parkhead to the Calton and Dennistoun to Bridgeton
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Is there anywhere else in Scotland can beat this
Davie Hayes, is that the ex Morton player? I can vaguely remember him being friends with my cousin Billy who went to Whitehill.

Born in the Gallowgate in 1966
as a 6/7year old I can vaguely remember Tommy Burns coming into my grandads shop
we moved up to Dennistoun ,Joe Miller stayed next close to me ,he was a fud as a kid and hardly had any friends
Alex Rae stayed just along from from me and was 3 years below me at my high school

and for good measure Ford Kiernan stayed across the road from me and he was a fud also as a kid :D :D
Would second that I knew Ford Kiernan at Alexandra Parade school

Davie Hayes, is that the ex Morton player? I can vaguely remember him being friends with my cousin Billy who went to Whitehill.

That's right J
I used to play with DH in the 20+ a side games in Alexandra Park
Couldn't get the ball off him even when he was a kid

Another two from these games & who also went to Whitehill were Billy McClymont who played for Motherwell & Brocklehurst or Brocklebank ( or similar) who played for Clydebank
I'm pretty sure BMcC lived in Haghill - but couldn't tell you where Brockle..... lived

Maybe another 2 from RM's 'Prolific Sqaremile' ?

That's right J
I used to play with DH in the 20+ a side games in Alexandra Park
Couldn't get the ball off him even when he was a kid

Another two from these games & who also went to Whitehill were Billy McClymont who played for Motherwell & Brocklehurst or Brocklebank ( or similar) who played for Clydebank
I'm pretty sure BMcC lived in Haghill - but couldn't tell you where Brockle..... lived

Maybe another 2 from RM's 'Prolific Sqaremile' ?
Billy was and is still a friend of mine, now stays out East, went from Motherwell to Stranraer then chucked it to follow Rangers
He did stay in Haghill, his brother still stays there, really nice guys

Last edited:
A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
The square mile from Parkhead to the Calton and Dennistoun to Bridgeton
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Is there anywhere else in Scotland can beat this
I was showing my Dad this last night.

Jim Tolmie was in his class at school.

I don't know if they played top flight but he mentioned Gerry Collins' brother played professional as did Jimmy Melrose brother Frankie.

My uncle, David Boyce, and Angus Smith played senior for Alloa.

I was showing my Dad this last night.

Jim Tolmie was in his class at school.

I don't know if they played top flight but he mentioned Gerry Collins' brother played professional as did Jimmy Melrose brother Frankie.

My uncle, David Boyce, and Angus Smith played senior for Alloa.
None of Gerry's brothers played Professional as far as I remember, one of my brothers was very friendly with Gerry's brother
Frankie only played with Queens Park, who weren't professional and he never played in the top flight, Alloa never played top-flight
Jim Melrose played with Man City as Did Jim Tolmie
Is your Uncle Davie the Calton Atheltic guy?
I probably know your Dad, Dennistoun was a village where everyone knew everyone else or their brother/sister/ cousin

Drumchapel was prolific. Not all would have come from Drumchapel but a good few must have.

One school in particular provided many players---Kingsridge Senior Secondary.

Danny McGrain
Andy Gray,
Gregor Stevens,
John MacDonald,
Alex Miller,
Sandy Caddell,
Jim Gray(Andy's brother played for Clydebank before emigrating),

There may have been others that I can't recall but a good number from one school.

One school in particular provided many players---Kingsridge Senior Secondary.

Danny McGrain
Andy Gray,
Gregor Stevens,
John MacDonald,
Alex Miller,
Sandy Caddell,
Jim Gray(Andy's brother played for Clydebank before emigrating),

There may have been others that I can't recall but a good number from one school.
Davy Moyes?

Derek Atkins former Clyde keeper so not top flight , came from Pudding street and although a prod supported the filth.He will be around 61 now ,Op might know him.

Yes there is. Kingsridge secondary school in Drumchapel. Alex Miller, Danny McGrain, Andy Gray. John Mac Donald, Gregor Stevens, Kenny McDowall, Gary McDowall, Jimmy Brand Brian Thom, Neil Howie, Gordon Soutar, Jake King, John Arroll,Jim Wilson, Charlie West,Rab McGinn, Davie Booth among others
Phil Bonnyman.

From wiki

McLeish was born in Duke Street Hospital, Glasgow to parents Alex, a shipyard worker, and Jean.[7] He has younger siblings Angela and Ian. After living in the Parkhead and Kinning Park districts of the city, the family moved to Barrhead, Renfrewshire soon after McLeish had reached school age.
His old man was my gaffer on the nightshift in Govan Shipbuilders, died at a young age, Alex was playing for Aberdeen in Europe against Porto I'm sure, when he passed away, was a massive Bluenose.

His old man was my gaffer on the nightshift in Govan Shipbuilders, died at a young age, Alex was playing for Aberdeen in Europe against Porto I'm sure, when he passed away, was a massive Bluenose.

True.

I still keep in touch with Eck and Angie.

Not seen Ian for a couple of years.

Man, if it was any other poster getting that reply, they'd take it on the chin. Rab doesn't need virtual minders, it's a fair post by him and the reply is obviously banter.
I don't take offence and would never allow posters to dictate what I do, unlike a certain Mod on here. alright to give me abuse but not happy when I give it back, even though I do it politely
No doubt another ban for being honest, see a few of you on Wednesday

Two from my era at Cranhill Secondary.
Kenny Aird & Johnny Graham.
Kenny played for St Johnstone and signed for the scum. Don't think he ever got into their first team.
Johnny played for Falkirk and a few others

Back