Proper rail seats

I was at Dortmund v Leverkusen the other week, and these seats are brilliant.
Comfy enough when sitting and when standing you can lean on the seat in front.
I know this is stating the obvious, but I don’t know how that 1.8 or 2 people to 1k seat would work?
Everyone there had paid for their seat, so how do you accommodate another person? There aren’t a queue of people standing waiting to stand beside someone in their seat?
There would need to be a fair bit of organisation involved in this and then only certain games made safe standing with plenty prior notice for everyone.

I don't see this as a priority. We moved to an all seater stadium because it's the safest set up. So called "safe" standing is not universally regarded as safe enough. A former Wembley Stadium manager thinks the way it's being implemented in England could create new safety problems.

I don't see this as a priority. We moved to an all seater stadium because it's the safest set up. So called "safe" standing is not universally regarded as safe enough. A former Wembley Stadium manager thinks the way it's being implemented in England could create new safety problems.
It was the safest set up at the time and we had two standing enclosures for decades after and only changed to suit euro regs.

I can see why some would call for it and be comfortable with it. It does not increase capacity so seems like the only reason/benefit is personal preference. Personally I think it is a piece of nostalgia and should stay that way. I am not sure I can muster the energy to create a European night atmosphere against St. Mirren, Ross County or QoS, rails or no rails.

If rail seating is a 2 to 1 ratio then would free up space for proper disabled area.
Away fans in WE. Rail seating in BF proper disabled in SJW.
Job done
As far as I am aware the ratio would be 1 for 1. However if it was as you say 2 for 1 and the disabled were the big beneficiaries of it I would totally change my opposition to it. It is so poor how we treat our disabled folks, don't even cover them from the elements :mad:

As far as I am aware the ratio would be 1 for 1. However if it was as you say 2 for 1 and the disabled were the big beneficiaries of it I would totally change my opposition to it. It is so poor how we treat our disabled folks, don't even cover them from the elements :mad:

Why are you opposed to it? 90% of the stadium will still be seated so it hardly affects anyone. Do you not think those that want to stand should have the choice?

I can see why some would call for it and be comfortable with it. It does not increase capacity so seems like the only reason/benefit is personal preference. Personally I think it is a piece of nostalgia and should stay that way. I am not sure I can muster the energy to create a European night atmosphere against St. Mirren, Ross County or QoS, rails or no rails.

In Dortmund their capacity goes up by 16k when they lock the seats away.

In the UK the ratio is 1 to 1 but we could lobby for change. We could also increase the capacity when we install it if we make the standing/seats closer together as the seats are rarely used.

Sorting the disabled area has been a priority since before Murray. Anyone thinking we’ll see safe standing or an improvement on disabled areas are kidding themselves they’re full of shite like those before in regards to improving the match day experience

They look good and as safe as houses too.

However when we eventually get around to doing this we need to do it properly with a ratio of 1 to 1.8 like the Germans and only in the Copland Front to prevent the paedos getting our standing section whenever we drew them in the Cup.

Iirc the original CF capacity was 3,200 when it was built but I believe it was increased slightly over the years so assuming it's now 3,500 then a 1 to 1.8 ratio would give us an extra 2,800 capacity.

Moving anyone from their original CF seat (obviously they could stay if they wanted to but most wouldn't) would be easier if we initially only allowed existing ST holders to swap places as this would create more of a choice for anyone moving.

I know some of them have sat in the same seats for years but they don't own them and at least this way they would have a few options to consider and sometimes in life we have to make sacrifices if it's for the greater good.

Imagine over 6,000 bouncing Bears at our traditional Home end every week?

Ps I know that the current legislation only allows 1 to 1 but if its safe enough for the Germans you could bet your life on it that it'll be safe enough for us, this ridiculous issue needs changing ASAP.

Great post. We could also consider rover tickets in the safe standing areas. This would allow fans to move. It would also get those who think they own a seat used to the idea they dont.

If we do go for SS my preference would be the whole of the Govan Front plus the corners. That would give our magnificent supporters the highest profile position and prevent our enemies in the media from avoiding showing them on tv.

Sorting the disabled area has been a priority since before Murray. Anyone thinking we’ll see safe standing or an improvement on disabled areas are kidding themselves they’re full of shite like those before in regards to improving the match day experience

I suppose they think full houses means everything is fine. Its not and they ignore it at their peril.

There is absolutely no way I could stand for for 90 minutes but I appreciate some would love too,Might as well allocate an area for safe standing rather than have them standing in an area not equipped for standing.

Exactly. Give people a choice.

Years ago, before all seater stadiums, you could move around depending on where you wanted to watch the game from. Now you cant and it means fans sit or stand in areas with a mixed demographic. Old and young, male and female etc. It causes problems for some and stifles the atmosphere. Unfortunately no one at Ibrox has a clue about fan culture.

I spoke with this with Jim Hannah and Kenny Scott 10 years ago I was saying why not make it two to one more fans and more money for the club I never heard anything about it from them

After we played PSG in Paris I wrote to David Murray about a number of issues including the lack of atmosphere at Ibrox.

I was invited to a meeting with Sandy Jardine and Carol Paton. After the meeting I knew there was little chance of anything changing at Ibrox for the forseeable future.

I think its 1.8 to 1 ratio in Germany.

All safe standing in the UK is on a 1:1 ratio. I believe some clubs are pushing for this to be increased.

Correct but the assumption is the current seating is replaced with one standing area. If we install rail seating we can do this with a 1 to 1 ratio but have more seats than at present.

There's real need for a larger capacity and this is by far the cheapest way to do this.

Been in 45 different Stadiums in the top 3 leagues in the last 10 years in Germany and they vary. Stood at around 35 I would say. Some great terraces still in use, they don’t all use this type of standing.

I’m not a massive fan of this rail seating to be honest, just a bit uniformed - remember going in it at Nuremberg and it sure weren’t 2 to 1, was very tight like. Been over this subject before a few times and I’m not too sure some people realise you get an allocated place in this rail seating as well - can’t just bail in anywhere. It’s much better than what’s on offer right now though. I really hate sitting at Football now, especially when it’s full.

Rover tickets solve that problem.

I don’t think so, maybe at Hoffenheim but not at Rangers. The exact type of thing that can cause chaos in this, your response also proves the attitude towards allocated standing many would hold. You have to walk before you can run on these subjects now, small steps etc… making out of touch demands just makes those small progressive steps more unlikely to happen at the end of the day - where many Brit Fan Groups/Ultras whatever go to pot is that.

Last edited:
I don’t think so, maybe at Hoffenheim but not at Rangers. The exact type of thing that can cause chaos in this, your response also proves the attitude towards allocated standing many would hold. You have to walk before you can run on these subjects now, small steps etc… making out of touch demands just makes those small progressive steps more unlikely to happen at the end of the day - where many Brit Fan Groups/Ultras whatever go to pot is that.

You do know we used to have rover tickets years ago?

"Out of touch demands"? I guess you're one of those "holly willies" spoken about at a Celtic AGM.

Rover tickets were fine pre Souness when we had thousands of empty seats. But they could never work in a sold out stadium. Imagine being one of the last folk into the GF for example, and you need to play a game of hunt the empty seat?

All it would do is end up with the centre areas of each stand being very overcrowded as folk just push into the area rather than try and find an empty seat.

Logistical nightmare that the club would never entertain these days.

You do know we used to have rover tickets years ago?

"Out of touch demands"? I guess you're one of those "holly willies" spoken about at a Celtic AGM.
Like I say mate that attitude will get you nowhere.

Rover tickets were fine pre Souness when we had thousands of empty seats. But they could never work in a sold out stadium. Imagine being one of the last folk into the GF for example, and you need to play a game of hunt the empty seat?

All it would do is end up with the centre areas of each stand being very overcrowded as folk just push into the area rather than try and find an empty seat.

It’s the whole reason why they have them allocated as well, to avoid overcrowding and also so they know who is at each space at the end of the day.

You have less tickets than seats in the areas with rover tickets to avoid the problem of people looking for the last seat. Its not that hard to work out.

It also encourages people to come early to get the best location and means they're less likely to vacate the seat in case they lose it.

Ive posted this before and someone complained about the idea of leaving a few seats empty. You just cant win. Any suggestions on here gets met with objections.

You have less tickets than seats in the areas with rover tickets to avoid the problem of people looking for the last seat. Its not that hard to work out.

It also encourages people to come early to get the best location and means they're less likely to vacate the seat in case they lose it.

Ive posted this before and someone complained about the idea of leaving a few seats empty. You just cant win. Any suggestions on here gets met with objections.
Suppose the Club might go for that if the admission prices were increased to compensate for the spaces that will never go on sale.

Second point is folk who sit alone can find this an issue. They go the toilet or for some food and come back and they’ve lost their seat, midweek match they are late and same issue etc..

These are all the potential problems at the end of the day. You can call it objecting but it’s just the reality at the end of the day.

You need the patience of a Saint I imagine to deal with any Club in relation to changes on this front. I certainly couldn’t do it but going in all guns blazing will never get you very far I would have thought, especially when financially wise things are going pretty well.

Or different people have different opinions? Sort of the whole reason for having a forum, no?

You think Rover ticketing would work in a 50k sold out stadium, I think it would be a logistical and probably H&S nightmare.

I think its 1.8 to 1 ratio in Germany.

All safe standing in the UK is on a 1:1 ratio. I believe some clubs are pushing for this to be increased.
I don’t have a big problem with safe standing but I certainly wouldn’t want to be virtually cuddling folk. I remember the days of standing at big games and being jammed up against folk isn’t pleasant. Especially if they’re pished or stinking of BO.

Suppose the Club might go for that if the admission prices were increased to compensate for the spaces that will never go on sale.

Second point is folk who sit alone can find this an issue. They go the toilet or for some food and come back and they’ve lost their seat, midweek match they are late and same issue etc..

These are all the potential problems at the end of the day. You can call it objecting but it’s just the reality at the end of the day.

You need the patience of a Saint I imagine to deal with any Club in relation to changes on this front. I certainly couldn’t do it but going in all guns blazing will never get you very far I would have thought, especially when financially wise things are going pretty well.

With regards your first point. The new rail seats replacing the old ones can be put in at a higher density therby negating the issue of leaving a few spare in each stand. To be clear Im not suggesting a ratio greater than 1 to 1 but rather more seats than at present.

With regards fans on their own. They dont have an allocated seat so coming late is neither here nor there. As for leaving a seat and expecting to get it back. That's the chance you take but anyway when the game starts I wouldnt imagine there'd be many people wandering around looking to take someone else's seat.

There are problems just now with STs. Fans in shit seats are stuck. People cant sit with friends etc etc.

Its not a problem for other clubs so why us ?

Yes please, BF1 to 5 will do nicely thanks.
I'd still like to hear an answer for why the away fans can't get put back to BF1, out the way of the TV cameras. We could then do whatever we wanted with the rest of the Broomie, rail seating from BF2/3 round to the Govan corner would look brilliant.

Those that run the club don’t want it so it won’t happen. If you think they listen to fans on this board your delusional.

I don’t have a big problem with safe standing but I certainly wouldn’t want to be virtually cuddling folk. I remember the days of standing at big games and being jammed up against folk isn’t pleasant. Especially if they’re pished or stinking of BO.

"Stinking of BO"? Are you thinking of Parkhead?

This standing the whole game, in days gone by you would gracefully retire to the main stand.
For some it is a problem, mate said on Tuesday he knew he would be in agony Wednesday with his back, due to standing for the 90 mins.
Ideally the fronts should be standing and the rears for us old codgers, as long as we do something doing nothing surely not an option.

With regards your first point. The new rail seats replacing the old ones can be put in at a higher density therby negating the issue of leaving a few spare in each stand. To be clear Im not suggesting a ratio greater than 1 to 1 but rather more seats than at present.

With regards fans on their own. They dont have an allocated seat so coming late is neither here nor there. As for leaving a seat and expecting to get it back. That's the chance you take but anyway when the game starts I wouldnt imagine there'd be many people wandering around looking to take someone else's seat.

There are problems just now with STs. Fans in shit seats are stuck. People cant sit with friends etc etc.

Its not a problem for other clubs so why us ?

Point 1 - showed it to a German SLO of 7 seasons who says it ain’t as simple as that.

Point 2 - Yes I know you don’t have a set seat, hence why the point exists. People may need the toilet or want to buy something at half time, coming back to a seat they regard as good (you have said this rover scheme encourages people to trap early yourself) may be a problem, maybe it won’t but I’ve seen issues with it at various Clubs operating this.

Anyway good luck but seriously don’t throw your toys out the pram with those who control all this like you have on here or you’ll get nowhere fast in my opinion.

Point 1 - showed it to a German SLO of 7 seasons who says it ain’t as simple as that.

Point 2 - Yes I know you don’t have a set seat, hence why the point exists. People may need the toilet or want to buy something at half time, coming back to a seat they regard as good (you have said this rover scheme encourages people to trap early yourself) may be a problem, maybe it won’t but I’ve seen issues with it at various Clubs operating this.

Anyway good luck but seriously don’t throw your toys out the pram with those who control all this or you’ll get nowhere fast in my opinion.

Incidentally. Im 66 and have no intention of joining the UB. Im simply advocating on behalf of our young fans AND hoping to improve the atmosphere for all of us.

I dont know if you saw my post earlier but I met with Sandy Jardine and Carol Paton after we played PSG about 20 years ago. There was no desire to change anything then and there still isnt now.

Very sad.

Incidentally. Im 66 and have no intention of joining the UB. Im simply advocating on behalf of our young fans AND hoping to improve the atmosphere for all of us.

I dont know if you saw my post earlier but I met with Sandy Jardine and Carol Paton after we played PSG about 20 years ago. There was no desire to change anything then and there still isnt now.

Very sad.
I did think you would be well past 40 based on that meeting to be honest. At the end of the day if people on here raise the points think about what those in charge will raise. Personally I fell out of love with going Football in England at the top end due to all seater Stadiums so know exactly where you are coming from, fortunate enough to have seen how standing etc works in a range of nations through trips I do.

I'd still like to hear an answer for why the away fans can't get put back to BF1, out the way of the TV cameras. We could then do whatever we wanted with the rest of the Broomie, rail seating from BF2/3 round to the Govan corner would look brilliant.
It would be a lot harder to police outside and inside.

They should do both enclosures. It'sn low to the pitch so would be better standing.

Used to go there a lot as a kid when it was the last part not seated. Always great

Back