Proposal for a railway station at Ibrox

JayDee

RANGERS fans could be able to get the train directly to Ibrox, if new plans go ahead.

Glasgow councillor Stephen Dornan is bringing forward a proposal which could see the old Ibrox Railway Station restored to its former glory.

The station shut its doors in 1967 and has remained unused since, despite trains still regularly using the line that bypasses the site.

Network Rail have admitted they are open to discussions about the re-opening, while Mr Dornan has set-up a meeting with Gers’ managing director Stewart Robertson to talk about the plan.

Mr Dornan said: “The idea is to reinstate the former Ibrox railway station because with the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, the BBC and STV, the traffic conditions in Govan are at breaking point, if not having already surpassed that.

“That would alleviate the problem. It would mean there could be events day parking in more of the areas to help people who can’t get into their driveways at times because it’s so busy.

“If we returned that station, on matchdays we could take, I estimate, around 20,000 fans from the roads on to the rail.

“I got an email from Rangers. Rangers are very supportive of it.

“It’s very easy to do. It wouldn’t take long. The tracks are there, it’s just a matter of the train stopping. How easy is that?

“I’m hoping that this will happen within the next year.”

Rangers fans’ group Club 1872 have also hinted that their members could back the scheme.

Director Laura Fawkes said: “The reopening of Ibrox Railway Station could certainly help to improve transport links to the stadium on match days.

“This is particularly relevant given the parking restrictions which have been proposed and which our members voted to oppose in 2017.

“We would hope that everything possible would be done to ensure safe and convenient travel alternatives if these restrictions are passed and the reopening of the railway station could be one such alternative.”

Residents’ groups have backed the plans, with Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council chairman Mark Hughes said: “If this proposal did go ahead it would be a great asset to our community and other local communities, along with the benefits it will bring on match days at Ibrox Stadium.”

The group’s secretary, Serena Hay added: “It certainly hasn’t met with any discontent and believe me when folks have a problem they don’t sit there quietly.

“Although I can’t speak on behalf of the whole community I personally love the idea and I think it would also be good if there were an airport link.”

Plans are in the early stages but if they are progressed support could be sought from the Scottish Stations Investment fund.

More than £7m from that scheme is already being used to build the new Robroyston station.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Network Rail is not currently investigating the potential to open a station at Ibrox, but we’re always available to discuss proposals to expand Scotland’s railway where they are supported by a viable business case and meet a clear customer need.”

Rangers were approached for a comment.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16174335.Plans_for_a_station_at_Ibrox/?ref=mr&lp=10

This would make sense. Saw the other day that John Mason wank is proposing a Parkhead one, at the Forge.

Not something I would personally benefit from but it sounds like a fantastic idea that would help the local and winder community. Rangers would reap the reward with better reduction of traffic on match days.

I can see why it isn't a massive priority with the subway going straight there. That said, whenever I go to any other European or British city, the first thing that I'll try and do is take in a game and it's always incredibly easy to get to their stadiums from the main train stations. I know the subway isn't particularly hard to navigate or find, but if you're getting off at Central Station then there should be something that gets you directly to Ibrox.

Great idea, especially with the parking restrictions being mooted again,
Would suit me to get the train to Ibrox.

Pass by every day on the train and always think how much easier it would be for train to stop there. Fingers crossed this happens. I’d read on here before that Rangers had requested this in the past, but the response was they wanted us to fund most of it.

Money. Will cost millions.

Is a big part of that not saying that the trains already go that way, all they'll have to do is stop at the station? I'm sure that revising train routes is quite difficult but does it really cost millions to install a few tickets machines and re-route/re-time certain journeys? Not being difficult, genuinely ignorant on the subject.

Pass by every day on the train and always think how much easier it would be for train to stop there. Fingers crossed this happens. I’d read on here before that Rangers had requested this in the past, but the response was they wanted us to fund most of it.

This is absolutely spot on. We enquired before and were told we had to pay for it, which is absurd. Unless they want us to run it and take the profits from it too...!

Maybe the climate has changed. It would be a no brainer doing this. Initial investment required, but it would pay for itself eventually, and then be a profit making venture.

Anyone know what route it would take nowadays?

Is it the Ayr line or the one that goes from Mount Vernon through lower level central to the SECC?

Where even is the station? despite being to Ibrox many times I can’t even think where it is.

My missus used to live in Irvine and that Ayr line goes passed Ibrox, closer to the motorway than Ibrox but not too far at all. I'll assume it was near there?

If we returned that station, on matchdays we could take, I estimate, around 20,000 fans from the roads on to the rail.

No way would 20,000 travel by train.

Re-building a station at Ibrox makes sense. However, the main issue would be disruption to the current timetable and railway operators would want to keep the Glasgow-Paisley line as fast and free-flowing as possible.

I can see why it isn't a massive priority with the subway going straight there. That said, whenever I go to any other European or British city, the first thing that I'll try and do is take in a game and it's always incredibly easy to get to their stadiums from the main train stations. I know the subway isn't particularly hard to navigate or find, but if you're getting off at Central Station then there should be something that gets you directly to Ibrox.
I agree with you, mate. I was amused by the phrase, "I know the subway isn't particularly hard to navigate".

Glasgow's subway, 3rd oldest in the world, is the easiest to navigate in the history of subterranean railways ;)

This would make sense. Saw the other day that John Mason wank is proposing a Parkhead one, at the Forge.
They have been pushing for that freebie for years and wanted Murray to fork out half a million for us. Mason I s a prick

For those asking the station was basically adjacent with Paisley road west just behind where the Esso garage is at present. Less than a Par 4 to Edmiston drive.

As said previously, this has been discussed before and usually pops up on this forum once a year.

Sounds a bit different this time though, it may actually have some traction. (pun intended).
Peak time around PRW, Clyde Tunnel, Helen st etc is a nightmare. It's certainly something I'd use and if priced correctly would be very popular. £ 1.40 single £2.50 return from central

Is a big part of that not saying that the trains already go that way, all they'll have to do is stop at the station? I'm sure that revising train routes is quite difficult but does it really cost millions to install a few tickets machines and re-route/re-time certain journeys? Not being difficult, genuinely ignorant on the subject.
Main issue is that there is no existing infrastructure. Everything would need to be built from scratch to modern safety standards. Car parks, access roads, footpaths, platforms, footbridge and lifts (if there’s 2 platforms). Need to move signalling equipment, potentially overhead line equipment, install telecoms etc. Easily £10m which would need funded by someone.

No way would 20,000 travel by train.

Re-building a station at Ibrox makes sense. However, the main issue would be disruption to the current timetable and railway operators would want to keep the Glasgow-Paisley line as fast and free-flowing as possible.

Fair point, but we don't tend to play at rush hour. We have computerised exchanges now, so all we need is a small change to weekend/out of hours timetables (albeit in a flexible manner). Let's face it, if it was the East End..

Anyone know where the line would end? I know where the old station is but just wondering if it carried on from Ibrox or did it stop there?

Anyone know where the line would end? I know where the old station is but just wondering if it carried on from Ibrox or did it stop there?

The line the Ibrox Station was on only went docks on the Clyde

The line went behind the Sandy Jardine Stand and most people still walk on the route of it on a matchday down towards Copland Road and out to where the buses park on Carmichael Street

Any new station will be on the Glasgow to Paisley line

The biggest push for it would need to be the nhs

There's about 10,000 staff working in the new hospital so there is your daily demand straight away for a station, couple in rangers games and that starts to build potential income for spt and network rail. Politics will probably dictate no doubt as they've spent a ton creating the fast link bus to the hospital from the city centre.

Logistically though it's a no brainer

Where even is the station? despite being to Ibrox many times I can’t even think where it is.

It’s behind the petrol station at corner of PRW and Broomloan road. Would be great for Renfrewshire, inverclyde and north Ayrshire bears.

You would need 2 platforms and then a bridge going across so it would still be costly. Would probably only be a limited use station as to use it regularly would slow the current service down too much.

Don’t really get the argument for use with QEH - still a trek from there.

Would the station be big enough and the trains regular enough to make a massive difference?

1/2 hour service to Cardonald which the 1st stop on the slow train to Paisley

Scotrail would have adjust that service or one of the fast train to Paisley Gilmour Street

Been talk about for over 30 years

I've only ever seen talk on forums, was it previously reported?
It's a perfect solution not just for around Ibrox but around the whole of the city. Makes an awful lot of sense and why I've always thought it wouldn't happen.

Back