Proposal for a railway station at Ibrox

I'm sure this would be welcomed by many travelling fans,but looking at the statement,it appears it's not primarily aimed at Rangers fans.
More to do with the new hospital,and the media centres. After all, you couldn't imagine GCC going out of their way to assist Rangers Football Club in any capacity, could you?

Years ago while there was an Ibrox station that a number of trains going through Paisley and beyond, would have a scheduled stop. However, for Saturday home games, there were football specials that ran from Glasgow Central nonstop to a special siding, where Asda is situated. This service was very popular but eventually it stopped as car travel increased. The rail tracks for this service are unlikely to exist now. I would be very surprised if the mainline Ibrox station was reinstated as while it might be handy for days when Rangers are at home, there would be little need for it at other times.

I'm sure this would be welcomed by many travelling fans,but looking at the statement,it appears it's not primarily aimed at Rangers fans.
More to do with the new hospital,and the media centres. After all, you couldn't imagine GCC going out of their way to assist Rangers Football Club in any capacity, could you?
If it benefits us as well, who cares?

The line the Ibrox Station was on only went docks on the Clyde

The line went behind the Sandy Jardine Stand and most people still walk on the route of it on a matchday down towards Copland Road and out to where the buses park on Carmichael Street

Any new station will be on the Glasgow to Paisley line

nothing to do with the works line behind the sj stand.
it was/is on the main paisley/ayr line from the central.
used it a few times, one memorable game, our first ecwc final.

murray offered to build it along with a new police station (now there) and removal of the st ants team in exchange for land on broomloan rd and edmiston drive.

I believe it was muted a few years ago, but they wanted Rangers to stump up some of the cash.

An absolutely sensible idea and hopefully in place ASAP.

And how much will the club be expected to pay towards this because we all know that is what the GCC will be asking.

There was an old photo on the previous board that showed the fans walking up the walkway from the train station towards Broomloan Road when the station was used previously.

If the same path were to be taken it would bring you out at the side of the Esso garage right at the corner of PRW and Broomloan Road at the traffic lights.

Murray and the board looked at this option many many years ago as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Where even is the station? despite being to Ibrox many times I can’t even think where it is.

Behind the petrol station on Broomloan Road.

PXcnjO5.jpg

GSNhRIP.jpg

this shows old station. the loop running behind the sandy jardine stand was docks traffic, no passengers.
the line running away parralell to helen st ended just before govan rd and had a passenger station and goods yards

Last edited:
There was a station as an off-site of the main line, which stopped somewhere close to the back of the Govan Stand. Or so I was told. Maybe that's the one mentioned, but it wouldn't suit a through line.

Quite a few folk asking where the station was. So as one old enough to have used the original station, the walkway from the platforms emerged onto Broomloan Rd near the junction with PRW, as others have said near where the petrol station is now. Or where Ibrox House pub was. The line to and from Glasgow Central went to Gourock/ Wemyes Bay/ Ayrshire via Paisley Gilmour St. There was also a station at Shields Rd, which was walkable distance to Ibrox on the same line. The Beeching review of the UK rail network was responsible for the demise of many routes and stations in the early 60s, and Ibrox station was closed when the line was electrified around 1966.

There was a station as an off-site of the main line, which stopped somewhere close to the back of the Govan Stand. Or so I was told. Maybe that's the one mentioned, but it wouldn't suit a through line.

There was never a station there. There were plans at one time, though.

The line that went around Ibrox was a goods line which led to the docks.

Many years ago, you could get a train from Bridgeton low level station directly to Ibrox.
I know this for a fact, because my big sister got her thumb jammed in the door, and went to the game, (in some pain, if I remember). After the game, she went to The Royal to have it seen to. Still goes to see the Rangers at the age of 83yrs.

RANGERS fans could be able to get the train directly to Ibrox, if new plans go ahead.

Glasgow councillor Stephen Dornan is bringing forward a proposal which could see the old Ibrox Railway Station restored to its former glory.

The station shut its doors in 1967 and has remained unused since, despite trains still regularly using the line that bypasses the site.

Network Rail have admitted they are open to discussions about the re-opening, while Mr Dornan has set-up a meeting with Gers’ managing director Stewart Robertson to talk about the plan.

Mr Dornan said: “The idea is to reinstate the former Ibrox railway station because with the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, the BBC and STV, the traffic conditions in Govan are at breaking point, if not having already surpassed that.

“That would alleviate the problem. It would mean there could be events day parking in more of the areas to help people who can’t get into their driveways at times because it’s so busy.

“If we returned that station, on matchdays we could take, I estimate, around 20,000 fans from the roads on to the rail.

“I got an email from Rangers. Rangers are very supportive of it.

“It’s very easy to do. It wouldn’t take long. The tracks are there, it’s just a matter of the train stopping. How easy is that?

“I’m hoping that this will happen within the next year.”

Rangers fans’ group Club 1872 have also hinted that their members could back the scheme.

Director Laura Fawkes said: “The reopening of Ibrox Railway Station could certainly help to improve transport links to the stadium on match days.

“This is particularly relevant given the parking restrictions which have been proposed and which our members voted to oppose in 2017.

“We would hope that everything possible would be done to ensure safe and convenient travel alternatives if these restrictions are passed and the reopening of the railway station could be one such alternative.”

Residents’ groups have backed the plans, with Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council chairman Mark Hughes said: “If this proposal did go ahead it would be a great asset to our community and other local communities, along with the benefits it will bring on match days at Ibrox Stadium.”

The group’s secretary, Serena Hay added: “It certainly hasn’t met with any discontent and believe me when folks have a problem they don’t sit there quietly.

“Although I can’t speak on behalf of the whole community I personally love the idea and I think it would also be good if there were an airport link.”

Plans are in the early stages but if they are progressed support could be sought from the Scottish Stations Investment fund.

More than £7m from that scheme is already being used to build the new Robroyston station.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Network Rail is not currently investigating the potential to open a station at Ibrox, but we’re always available to discuss proposals to expand Scotland’s railway where they are supported by a viable business case and meet a clear customer need.”

Rangers were approached for a comment.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16174335.Plans_for_a_station_at_Ibrox/?ref=mr&lp=10
so a none story then, I think its a great idea imo

Its so obviously going to be a busy station yet when we approached the Council way back we were told that if we wanted it reopened we'd have to pay for it ourselves. A rail station on our door step, ample parking with a major motorway connection a few hundred yards away, an Underground station around the corner and multiple bus routes and add in easy walking distance from the town centre would, or should, make Ibrox the major sporting and music venue in Glasgow

I’d like to see this one go ahead . The traffic is horrendous now on matchdays.

The nhs staff could be doing with it as well , the parking at the new hospital is horrendous .

A no brainer really and if the club have to chip in £500k to get the go ahead then let’s do it. Better spent on that than some below average player.

Ironic that the demise of the station was probably a result in mass production and affordability of the motor vehicle and now, it’s probably motor vehicle congestion that many would use it again.

I was born in 1967 and have no recollection of a train station at Ibrox. I can recall the train running the lines behind, what was at the time, the Centenary Stand, now the Sandy Jardine Stand. So, the goods service trains must have ran beyond the closure of the Ibrox Station. I also recall all the train lines where the parking is on Broomloan Road and The Wee Rangers Club and up beyond where the Albion car park is now.

Years ago while there was an Ibrox station that a number of trains going through Paisley and beyond, would have a scheduled stop. However, for Saturday home games, there were football specials that ran from Glasgow Central nonstop to a special siding, where Asda is situated. This service was very popular but eventually it stopped as car travel increased. The rail tracks for this service are unlikely to exist now. I would be very surprised if the mainline Ibrox station was reinstated as while it might be handy for days when Rangers are at home, there would be little need for it at other times.
The old tracks for that run down past the wee Rangers club.

Great, so Rangers fans will get to use it every match apart from celtc games, when those tramps get it all to themselves.

No wonder Robertson is keen to get it moving.

Celtic fans wouldn't get near the train station if one was to be re-built, the police always have them cordened on the left hand side of Edmiston Drive so they cannot walk across to the other side, so we win both ways effectively. The only problem is fans in the Sandy Jardine Stand would have to walk all the way around the stadium to reach the station due to police blockades outside the away end.

Would be good. Folk needing to get to the airport can jump on the train to Paisley then get a cab or bus.

Alternative way to get in to town after the game.

Reduce traffic. Reduce some subway congestion.

Did anyone else see the throwaway line at the end,

"Rangers were approached for a comment."

Do we have a press/media, officer/department?

If yes sack them

Even if 5000 used it on matchdays it would be a significant earner for ScotRail, compared to other Glasgow stations.

Not something I would personally benefit from but it sounds like a fantastic idea that would help the local and winder community. Rangers would reap the reward with better reduction of traffic on match days.

Everyone that travels to Ibrox would benefit as it would reduce volumes on the roads, subway and buses.

Reactions: tam
An argument for such a station is the potential relationship it could have with other modes of transport.

Connections with the subway should be a must.

Such a transport hub taking people away from the city centre would have a number of advantages for the city as a whole

In the last hour, 17 trains have passed through Cardonald (much closer to the QEU Hospital, BTW) with 7 stopping. It is a very busy line.

There is certainly scope for a station but Scotrail and Network Rail would have to trade off the impact on timetables with the potential number of passengers using a re-built Ibrox station.

I'm a wee bit wary of anything James Dornan says. Politicians usually come out with stuff like this for cynical reasons.

In the last hour, 17 trains have passed through Cardonald (much closer to the QEU Hospital, BTW) with 7 stopping. It is a very busy line.

There is certainly scope for a station but Scotrail and Network Rail would have to trade off the impact on timetables with the potential number of passengers using a re-built Ibrox station.

I'm a wee bit wary of anything James Dornan says. Politicians usually come out with stuff like this for cynical reasons.
Wasn't it some guy Stephen Dornan that wants it?

It would make perfect sense and help out the local community too, especially with the hundreds of houses they are building right across the road and at Ibroxholm Avenue. Anything that can help people get to and from Ibrox quicker is a good thing and I hope it gets the go ahead

I would hope so, but doubt it. I think the one at the forge will go ahead
the one at Duke street behind where the forge steel works head office used tobe they have been pushing for under the guise of being needed for the forge retail shopping center. with this car parking issue they are planning they should be looking at opening ours before theirs. one to watch.

Said for years this should have been reopened. Links to the airport and hospital now make it more viable. This can only be a good thing

No way would 20,000 travel by train.

Re-building a station at Ibrox makes sense. However, the main issue would be disruption to the current timetable and railway operators would want to keep the Glasgow-Paisley line as fast and free-flowing as possible.

It won’t happen. If Network Rail aren’t even looking at it, which in railway years means any development is probably a minimum of a decade away.

The Scottish Government could specify it but the presumption is not to have local stops slowing journey times between towns and cities. Given there’s two underground stops nearby, the business case wouldn’t stack up for a stop that would be used once a fortnight.

Forget it lads

Back