Proposal for a railway station at Ibrox

The biggest push for it would need to be the nhs

There's about 10,000 staff working in the new hospital so there is your daily demand straight away for a station, couple in rangers games and that starts to build potential income for spt and network rail. Politics will probably dictate no doubt as they've spent a ton creating the fast link bus to the hospital from the city centre.

Logistically though it's a no brainer

Mate, it’s very much a brainer. It’s about 2.5 miles to the Southern from there. Cardonald station is closer

They drastically cut the rail network in the early sixties

Yeah, and the when considering the cost of going electric they cut it back again. They closed the station in my town in the late 70s leaving it isolated. We have one bus service that ends at 10:30 with a 5 mile walk to the next rail station :confused:

We (village community) are trying to get our old station open. Even though the platforms etc are all still there and a regular service there are many hoops (sorry) to go through and it’s going to cost millions apparently

Great idea hope it goes ahead

With the events they are doing at Bellahouston Park these days along with the football its a good idea.

There's about 10,000 staff working in the new hospital so there is your daily demand straight away for a station, couple in rangers games and that starts to build potential income for spt and network rail. Politics will probably dictate no doubt as they've spent a ton creating the fast link bus to the hospital from the city centre.

Why? Cardonald station is a 10 minute walk from the QEUH site. Getting off at this fabled Ibrox station makes zero sense and doubt there's thousands who live in Ibrox work on site and would take the one stop.

My first visit to Ibrox early sixties my old man took me on the train ,would be around 1963-64 beat thistle 3-0 in a scottish cup tie with Davie Wilson getting two & i think Jim Forrest , not sure when the station closed but it could not have been long after that. I would welcome it reopening ( it would cut the subway queue down )

a line to Braehead shops going though Ibrox, Cardonald, creating a QEH station would surely be well used.

I'm surprised it's not already happened. The line is there and stops just before the junction where the Audi(?) showroom used to be at Braehead.

Station at Ibrox should have been kept for matchdays at least. Used to get train from EK then subway but train from central would have been ideal as we know the subway is a nightmare post match. As it happens, I ended up joining a supporters bus because of the carry on with subway etc.

RANGERS fans could be able to get the train directly to Ibrox, if new plans go ahead.

Glasgow councillor Stephen Dornan is bringing forward a proposal which could see the old Ibrox Railway Station restored to its former glory.

The station shut its doors in 1967 and has remained unused since, despite trains still regularly using the line that bypasses the site.

Network Rail have admitted they are open to discussions about the re-opening, while Mr Dornan has set-up a meeting with Gers’ managing director Stewart Robertson to talk about the plan.

Mr Dornan said: “The idea is to reinstate the former Ibrox railway station because with the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, the BBC and STV, the traffic conditions in Govan are at breaking point, if not having already surpassed that.

“That would alleviate the problem. It would mean there could be events day parking in more of the areas to help people who can’t get into their driveways at times because it’s so busy.

“If we returned that station, on matchdays we could take, I estimate, around 20,000 fans from the roads on to the rail.

“I got an email from Rangers. Rangers are very supportive of it.

“It’s very easy to do. It wouldn’t take long. The tracks are there, it’s just a matter of the train stopping. How easy is that?

“I’m hoping that this will happen within the next year.”

Rangers fans’ group Club 1872 have also hinted that their members could back the scheme.

Director Laura Fawkes said: “The reopening of Ibrox Railway Station could certainly help to improve transport links to the stadium on match days.

“This is particularly relevant given the parking restrictions which have been proposed and which our members voted to oppose in 2017.

“We would hope that everything possible would be done to ensure safe and convenient travel alternatives if these restrictions are passed and the reopening of the railway station could be one such alternative.”

Residents’ groups have backed the plans, with Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council chairman Mark Hughes said: “If this proposal did go ahead it would be a great asset to our community and other local communities, along with the benefits it will bring on match days at Ibrox Stadium.”

The group’s secretary, Serena Hay added: “It certainly hasn’t met with any discontent and believe me when folks have a problem they don’t sit there quietly.

“Although I can’t speak on behalf of the whole community I personally love the idea and I think it would also be good if there were an airport link.”

Plans are in the early stages but if they are progressed support could be sought from the Scottish Stations Investment fund.

More than £7m from that scheme is already being used to build the new Robroyston station.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Network Rail is not currently investigating the potential to open a station at Ibrox, but we’re always available to discuss proposals to expand Scotland’s railway where they are supported by a viable business case and meet a clear customer need.”

Rangers were approached for a comment.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16174335.Plans_for_a_station_at_Ibrox/?ref=mr&lp=10

As someone who travels on the Ayr _ Glasgow line this would be great for me I wouldn't need to go into the city centre plus I'd probably get home a lot earlier hope it happens

If I remember correctly, when the line to the Airport was going to be built, part of the deal was that the main line was to be quadrupled again to Paisley, to allow for increased frequency of trains. Note the distance between the two tracks at stations like Cardonald. It still makes sense and a reopened Ibrox would ease the journey home for many fans heading west. It is so obvious and so sensible, I can totally see why it will not happen.

BritishRailLoyal o_O

QyIZQfT.jpg

RANGERS fans could be able to get the train directly to Ibrox, if new plans go ahead.

Glasgow councillor Stephen Dornan is bringing forward a proposal which could see the old Ibrox Railway Station restored to its former glory.

The station shut its doors in 1967 and has remained unused since, despite trains still regularly using the line that bypasses the site.

Network Rail have admitted they are open to discussions about the re-opening, while Mr Dornan has set-up a meeting with Gers’ managing director Stewart Robertson to talk about the plan.

Mr Dornan said: “The idea is to reinstate the former Ibrox railway station because with the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, the BBC and STV, the traffic conditions in Govan are at breaking point, if not having already surpassed that.

“That would alleviate the problem. It would mean there could be events day parking in more of the areas to help people who can’t get into their driveways at times because it’s so busy.

“If we returned that station, on matchdays we could take, I estimate, around 20,000 fans from the roads on to the rail.

“I got an email from Rangers. Rangers are very supportive of it.

“It’s very easy to do. It wouldn’t take long. The tracks are there, it’s just a matter of the train stopping. How easy is that?

“I’m hoping that this will happen within the next year.”

Rangers fans’ group Club 1872 have also hinted that their members could back the scheme.

Director Laura Fawkes said: “The reopening of Ibrox Railway Station could certainly help to improve transport links to the stadium on match days.

“This is particularly relevant given the parking restrictions which have been proposed and which our members voted to oppose in 2017.

“We would hope that everything possible would be done to ensure safe and convenient travel alternatives if these restrictions are passed and the reopening of the railway station could be one such alternative.”

Residents’ groups have backed the plans, with Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council chairman Mark Hughes said: “If this proposal did go ahead it would be a great asset to our community and other local communities, along with the benefits it will bring on match days at Ibrox Stadium.”

The group’s secretary, Serena Hay added: “It certainly hasn’t met with any discontent and believe me when folks have a problem they don’t sit there quietly.

“Although I can’t speak on behalf of the whole community I personally love the idea and I think it would also be good if there were an airport link.”

Plans are in the early stages but if they are progressed support could be sought from the Scottish Stations Investment fund.

More than £7m from that scheme is already being used to build the new Robroyston station.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Network Rail is not currently investigating the potential to open a station at Ibrox, but we’re always available to discuss proposals to expand Scotland’s railway where they are supported by a viable business case and meet a clear customer need.”

Rangers were approached for a comment.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16174335.Plans_for_a_station_at_Ibrox/?ref=mr&lp=10
f2suvo.gif

I used to get the Subway but as others have said, post match it is a nightmare, so now drive to Ibrox. Subway simply cannot cope with the demand. The commonwealth games crippled the Subway.

If a station could be opened just around where the Esso is just now, it would have multiple uses. Easing match day congestion, events at Bellahouson and easing crowding on buses running along Paisley Rd West to/from City.

AND Ibrox would be the best served stadium in the country between the motorway access, frequent Underground trains, frequent buses and a rail station. Even if the main line only infrequently stopped at the station, say a 15 or 30 minute service during normal days and an event day special, it could significantly reduce the load on the subway as well as getting more people off the roads.

The line the Ibrox Station was on only went docks on the Clyde

The line went behind the Sandy Jardine Stand and most people still walk on the route of it on a matchday down towards Copland Road and out to where the buses park on Carmichael Street

Any new station will be on the Glasgow to Paisley line
Aye walk up and then run the gauntlet a river of pish from above the Derry lol

It would cost millions so it isn’t going to happen unfortunately.
Would have been good though.

I'm sure this would be welcomed by many travelling fans,but looking at the statement,it appears it's not primarily aimed at Rangers fans.
More to do with the new hospital,and the media centres. After all, you couldn't imagine GCC going out of their way to assist Rangers Football Club in any capacity, could you?
You’re missing the point. If we can make an argument that it improves the area, helps the wider economy, etc then it’s difficult for the relevant stakeholders to argue against it. If we make an argument that significant public money is required to benefit rangers for 20 odd games a year then it won’t happen.

If it improves the area then it is beneficial to the club. The rhabids have been doing this successfully for years.

I would be heartened if this was being driven by the club but it doesn’t sound it is. They’ve royally fucked it by allowing the building of flats right on our doorstep instead of making an argument that it would be better used by rangers for future developments.

brings back memories ,first trip to Ibrox with my grandad ,gourock to Ibrox steam engine ,picking up bears along the way ,greenock the port, paisley .crowds at Ibrox station, and of course a few irish folk songs along the way .

A forward thinking planner could also take the space behind and build a sizeable park and ride accessed from the ASDA slip road (similar to shield road) which can then take pressure off city centre parking.
Which can be used to take further pressure off of matchday parking?

The QEUH already has a station closer to it Cardonald but only trains running from wemyss bay or gourock stop at it

A new station was added on the line between Falkirk and Stirling a good few years back.
Camelon Station, its basic but on the existing route.
No idea what the cost was but something similar would probably work?

Can't be that hard to find out what Camelon Station cost. I would look but on a break at work

Last edited:
Thats exactly where it was. I used it many times before closure in 1966/67.
I take it Ibrox was on the main line that currently goes on to Cardonald and Hillington East, rather than the branch which seems to go north?

Did the branch line just go north up to some shipyards? It almost looks like it curves round in a loop and goes behind what is now the Govan stand.

Nope, closed in 67. Labour in power though I suspect it was down to the rail company. For you info, I despise both parties so no favouritism.

I was referring to the drastic cuts to the rail network mentioned by the earlier poster (can't find it on my phone). These followed the Beeching review set up by the Tories in 1963. I don't actually know anything about Ibrox Station or why it closed.

Don’t want to start a new thread but how long does it take to walk to central station from Ibrox ? Trains are a little messed up tomorrow and can’t be bothered with the subway queue.

brings back memories ,first trip to Ibrox with my grandad ,gourock to Ibrox steam engine ,picking up bears along the way ,greenock the port, paisley .crowds at Ibrox station, and of course a few irish folk songs along the way .
Took you to the Albion statio behind what is now the Albion car park

No way would 20,000 travel by train.

Re-building a station at Ibrox makes sense. However, the main issue would be disruption to the current timetable and railway operators would want to keep the Glasgow-Paisley line as fast and free-flowing as possible.

Saturday timetables could be altered to stop at Ibrox for a few hours before the gane and afterwards

Night games similar

I work in the railway there is plenty of capacity to do this easily

If it was rush hour in the morning then no way however it’s not a big deal one extra stop with the new signalling system there would be minimal changes and expenditure

Saturday timetables could be altered to stop at Ibrox for a few hours before the gane and afterwards

Night games similar

If it was rush hour in the morning then no way however it’s not a big deal one extra stop with the new signalling system there would be minimal changes and expenditure
I agree , it could work in the same way as the football halt at old Trafford on the Manchester/Liverpool line

nothing to do with the works line behind the sj stand.
it was/is on the main paisley/ayr line from the central.
used it a few times, one memorable game, our first ecwc final.

murray offered to build it along with a new police station (now there) and removal of the st ants team in exchange for land on broomloan rd and edmiston drive.

Aye right wasn't there a another platform that was used for us on football specials?

Night games similar

The guy who runs the Glasgow Central Station social media pages is a Rangers supporter after asking him a few questions and he couldn't hide his passion for the club! https://www.facebook.com/glasgowcentral/

There was a station built in Devon which cost £1.45 m to build.

• Newcourt, Devon, where the DfT will pay for around half of the scheme expected to cost in the region of £1.5 million

Newcourt is located on the Exmouth Branch between Digby and Sowton and Topsham. The new station will deliver a new platform and shelter, ticket machine, secure cycle parking and CCTV. The station will be served by a half hourly local service on the Exmouth branch.

But if confusion here. My understanding is there was an Ibrox station on the main line and ALSO and halt station at the turnoff going north.

That line went to the dock and also to govan when it had a mainline station. Some if that line is still used for the subway as it’s depot is at the govan cross end of Helen street.

The idea of a station to Barrhead is dead as in reality there would only be 1 station (cardonald) before a turn off. I think the existing turn off just after Hillington East has been built on so there’s no possible access from Renfrewshire/Inverclyde.

Back