Proposal to add two colt teams to the Leagues

Bonnyloyal

The Scottish Championship could be a 12-team league for the 2020-21 season under a potential league shake-up.
Prolonged talks have taken place between Scottish Professional Football League clubs over expanding the Scottish second tier by two teams.
Discussed proposals include adding two colts team to make a 44-club pyramid or merging Leagues One and Two.
The set-up could result in Championship sides playing each other four times across 44 games per season.
It is understood discussions have taken place and that, if agreed at this season's SPFL annual meeting, new measures could be in place in just over a year's time.
The current system has been in place for six years.
To facilitate a potential change to the structure of the Scottish game, options that are being considered include:
  • No relegation from next season's Championship, with the top two teams in League One receiving automatic promotion.
  • Retaining Leagues One and Two in their current format with one club from the Highland League and one from the Lowland League entering.
  • Introducing two colt teams from Premiership clubs.

Colt teams are a must. We are loaning out players and many are sitting on benches when they need to be playing football.
We also need to finish the season two weeks earlier. So many free weeks towards the end of the season and then the players have two weeks off before European ties. It’s mental. The scottish cup final should be this weekend.

Should go for it let's be fair if rangers B were in that league it would add paying customers to all thier attendances also when they are playing when we're are not even more will turn up international breaks ECT

This would greatly benefit us and the national team. Not that I care about the national team anyway.

It should happen but would rather they didn't make it a 12 team championship. 2 sixteen team leagues would be better if they want to make it 32 teams

Colt teams works well in most European Leagues, most of of the current Ajax team played for Ajax Jong who play in the 2nd division.

I’m all for adding the colts into the championship. But 44 games a season. Add in Scottish cup, league cup and challenge cup.

Could easily reach 55+ games a season. Surely that’s far too many for kids playing against seasoned pro’s?

I’m all for adding the colts into the championship. But 44 games a season. Add in Scottish cup, league cup and challenge cup.

Could easily reach 55+ games a season. Surely that’s far too many for kids playing against seasoned pro’s?

Scope for a lot of rotation at least when the priority isn't to win the league.

If they're wanting to expand the championship it should be regional below that, a proper pyramid including the juniors. The Lowland League has half of its teams in there to fill spaces. No fans, no ground, no history.

It would a big change of opinion among the smaller clubs for this to happen. It has been proposed the last couple of years and very few in any smaller clubs were in favour.

It can't be limited to two clubs, it has to be open to any club who wants to finance it.

Quite a few clubs are pulling out of the Reserve League next season, this might bring about some change of thought. Doubt it woud change enough minds to get the vote through.

Maybe the discussions around a possible European Colts league would be a catalyst in change the smaller clubs views.

Scope for a lot of rotation at least when the priority isn't to win the league.
Maybe. But how big a squad would we need.

The squad would also need to be able to half compete. You run the risk of playing players just because you wanted to rotate rather than because the players were ready.

Would it probably be League and the Challenge Cup games that they would be allowed to compete if it happens

Stranraer enter their Reserves into the South of Scotland League which they won this season but can't compete in the Scottish Cup next season as it not allowed

The clamour to add colt teams to the set-up on the hope of financial gain isn't there as @elfideldo has pointed it has been voted on and very few clubs were in favour

From a football point of view yes it probably would beneficial for the colts to gain experience of playing competitive football every week

Be interesting what the rules are if it does happen. Could we parachute Dorrans into the Colts team for fitness as we did yesterday? Or does he have to abide by the same transfer rules as everyone else and stay for a full window, without being able to go back to the first team squad?

If we could move to England we could have our feet in the both leagues. We could get a Rangers team based in Scotland and one in the EPL.

Having 3 leagues below the main league in a country the size of Scotland is needless.

We need a bigger main league for starters, a bigger Championship then League One after that. Proper relegation & promotion play-offs via a proper pyramid system with regional leagues.

Reactions: Ter
Be interesting what the rules are if it does happen. Could we parachute Dorrans into the Colts team for fitness as we did yesterday? Or does he have to abide by the same transfer rules as everyone else and stay for a full window, without being able to go back to the first team squad?

It would only available 1 squad you can't treat anything different and neither would the clubs treat different

Rangers Colts v Clyde is proper league game not a kickabout game like a friendly

It would only available 1 squad you can't treat anything different and neither would the clubs treat different

Rangers Colts v Clyde is proper league game not a kickabout game like a friendly

Which I agree with for the integrity of the league, but does leave a potential gap in terms of rehabilitation of players from long term injuries. I guess there’s still the option of ‘bounce’ games.

Colt teams works well in most European Leagues, most of of the current Ajax team played for Ajax Jong who play in the 2nd division.
Think just about every continental league has a 'B' or 'II' team from the big clubs in their leagues.

Off the top of my head Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Russia, Ukraine all do.

And to answer the poster if its possible to move players between the two teams without transfer procedures I think that's the case - in Russia it definitely is and before we played Spartak their captain and another key were banished to play with Spartak II due to indiscipline

It should happen but would rather they didn't make it a 12 team championship. 2 sixteen team leagues would be better if they want to make it 32 teams
Would like to see 12 teams in championship and leagues 1 and 2 changed to north and south leagues annan going to arbroath and stranraer going to peterhead etc is absolute pish in this day! Not that I give a monkeys tho!

I don’t know for certain by in a thread last week, it came over like these teams had to register their players and current registration rules would apply.

Yesterday's attendance at Falkirk was probably at least double that of many current League 2 clubs. The inclusion of our second string along with that other mob's would benefit many of these clubs financially. There will be moans and groans that they don't want us in their league but don't be kidded by that. They will love the money and the extra attention that our Colts (and the other mob's) will bring.

Colt teams wont happen without clubs kicking and screaming bitterness. A lot of leagues have colt teams in the league system and it's proven to help, the two non english clubs in the CL semi finals both have them and right now they're going through to the final. I get why clubs might not want to play Rangers youth teams but get over it, start them in league two and if they work their way up to the championship then they will have earned it. I bet within 5-10 years the national team would improve if more teams had colt teams regularly playing proper football together instead of being spread out to play with plumbers and bartenders, working in shit facilities and having shit coaches work with them. Lower league clubs aren't owed loan players so if that's something they'll complain about as well then tough.

Should go for it let's be fair if rangers B were in that league it would add paying customers to all thier attendances also when they are playing when we're are not even more will turn up international breaks ECT

Especially with the majority of games being at 3pm on a Saturday. I’d think they’d be quite well attended.

If this is actually happening surely there could be a expansion to the amount of teams in our league? Sick of watching Rangers the same teams 4-5 times a season. Expand SPFL to a 16 team league with each teams playing eachother +2. 32 games a season giving Rangers/Scum no fixtures to fulfill on weekends with important European games midweek. Could make the league more exiting will helping our sides in Europe?

Rangers were confident of this a year ago. Would like to see it happen thoroughly enjoyed Falkirk yesterday. Would be good for everyone in Scottish football financially

The Colts wouldn't (or shouldn't) be partaking in the League Cup or Scottish Cup. League and Challenge Cup only.

Why are the lower league clubs against Colt teams. The crowds at these matches would be a great earner for them.

Back