Merch Protestant and Roman Catholic map of Ireland in 1901

Was hoping this would be the Irish version of the infamous Tory Map of the World ie "Bongo Bongo Land" and the likes.

Wouldn't like to see it now with present day demographics.
As late as the early 1970's Belfast was around 75% Protestant, now it's less than 50%. A seismic change in a generation.
The Protestant population in the South collapsed after partition.

Interesting. Ive been in Irish towns where the protestant church is larger than the catholic one which did surprise me at first but upon reflection it shouldn't have as these maps demonstrate.

As late as the early 1970's Belfast was around 75% Protestant, now it's less than 50%. A seismic change in a generation.
The Protestant population in the South collapsed after partition.
Belfast was 75% Protestant in 1900 I believe it was 60/40 in 1970

Ethnically cleansed after partition, Cork was a British naval & administrative base. Anglo names e.g. William, David etc were popular. The State religion was the protestant Church of Ireland. Religion now means little to many in Eire.
Most Irish rc’s get there kids christened to get them into the local school.the hold the rc church has on schooling is weakening and the plan is to have the majority of schools to have rc patronage removed.the largest waiting lists are for educate together schools but their aren’t enough of them to meet demand

Something I never thought I’d never say,

Some day soon it may be easier being a Prod in the South than in the North??

If and when the RC church loses its stranglehold in the South and with its population seemingly leaving mother church in droves, young traditional protestants may start to ask “how bad could it be ?”

Wouldn't like to see it now with present day demographics.
In terms of Northern Ireland the 2011 Census showed 48% Protestant and 45% Catholic.

Interstingly, they also use people declaring themselves as British or Irish to determine how the demographics are changing.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing unification in our lifetime, likely sped up thanks to Brexit and the Tories.

Lovely poster though, that's a fabulous piece of history OP.

Something I never thought I’d never say,

Some day soon it may be easier being a Prod in the South than in the North??

If and when the RC church loses its stranglehold in the South and with its population seemingly leaving mother church in droves, young traditional protestants may start to ask “how bad could it be ?”
S/F and there fellow travelers will set about dismantling and vestiges of Britishness/unionism in any new Ireland as they put it.

In terms of Northern Ireland the 2011 Census showed 48% Protestant and 45% Catholic.

Interstingly, they also use people declaring themselves as British or Irish to determine how the demographics are changing.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing unification in our lifetime, likely sped up thanks to Brexit and the Tories.

There is a growing demographic that see themselves as Northern Irish as opposed to Irish or British.huge swathes of middle class rc’s in NI work in the civil service and the public sector and they are not going to vote themselves out of a job and star paying for the health services they get for free while NI is part of the uk

There is a growing demographic that see themselves as Northern Irish as opposed to Irish or British.huge swathes of middle class rc’s in NI work in the civil service and the public sector and they are not going to vote themselves out of a job and star paying for the health services they get for free while NI is part of the uk
I would like to have this discussion as that's an interesting point but I fear it's not really possible in this format and I don't want to derail the thread.

Those maps are really nice, I'd be interested to see a modern version of it as well.

Sad the way times are going what has happened in Ireland is being replicated here with people more politically than a religious divide though.

Emphasises why Unionists in NI need to "de-sectarianise" politics and secure RC votes. I'm led to believe a solid section of the RC community (over a third) hold a dim view of "unification" at best. Their votes will be crucial in keeping Ulster British.

Mmmmm. Not sure mate. I agree that if we are lumbered with a United Ireland the change in the health service will be a shock to many. I suspect though that it will be a vote of the heart rather than the head. Demographics is destiny as they say and at the minute things don't look good. The situation isn't like what it was during the Home Rule crisis but I still wouldn't want to be part of a United Ireland. I'm born and reared in Ulster on the island of Ireland. I can't pretend therefore that I have no Irishness. I do. My descendants at a time would have seen themselves as Unionist Irishmen but the IRA's campaign has so sullied the term that I would never feel comfortable calling myself Irish. I'm culturally British with closer links to Scotland than Dublin. Despite the promises we hear I can only see humiliation in a UI. Will my culture be respected? Aye right!

It was Albert Einstein who stated that the most powerful force in nature is the power of compound interest. Transposed into the context of demographics, if a minority group 'A' has on average 5-6 children per family, and the majority group 'B' has just two, then it is just a question that of time, before 'A' inevitably becomes the majority. This is what is happening in NI.

In southern Ireland, the situation was different. The demise of the Protestant population which at the time of independence stood at circa 15% but quickly thereafter diminished to its current 4.25%. There were two main reasons for this: one being the return after Independence in 1921 of large numbers of the Anglo-Irish middle class to England, where they quietly re-integrated themselves into the country of their forebears. The other principal reason for the decline in the population % of southern Irish Protestants, was insistence by the Catholic church that in the case of mixed marriages, that the children be raised as catholics.

Mmmmm. Not sure mate. I agree that if we are lumbered with a United Ireland the change in the health service will be a shock to many. I suspect though that it will be a vote of the heart rather than the head. Demographics is destiny as they say and at the minute things don't look good. The situation isn't like what it was during the Home Rule crisis but I still wouldn't want to be part of a United Ireland. I'm born and reared in Ulster on the island of Ireland. I can't pretend therefore that I have no Irishness. I do. My descendants at a time would have seen themselves as Unionist Irishmen but the IRA's campaign has so sullied the term that I would never feel comfortable calling myself Irish. I'm culturally British with closer links to Scotland than Dublin. Despite the promises we hear I can only see humiliation in a UI. Will my culture be respected? Aye right!
IMHO this is where ulster unionism has to get its act together.waiving a union flag and shouting”no surrender” isn’t going to cut it.they have to sell the benefits of the union in a positive manor.prepare for a referendum now don’t wait till a couple of months before its called.i don’t mean just one political party but all shades of unionism has to be ready,when or if that time comes

The threat of a re-ignition of the Troubles would deter a lot of RCs off voting for a United Ireland.

Let's be realistic about the situation; a sizeable proportion of the PUL wouldn't accept the end of their British identity under any circumstances and a referendum in Northern Ireland within the next few years would be extremely destabilising in my opinion.

Wrong, I am pleased to say.

IMHO this is where ulster unionism has to get its act together.waiving a union flag and shouting”no surrender” isn’t going to cut it.they have to sell the benefits of the union in a positive manor.prepare for a referendum now don’t wait till a couple of months before its called.i don’t mean just one political party but all shades of unionism has to be ready,when or if that time comes
A friend of me she is a middle class RC lives in N Belfast with her Protestant husband and daughter. She was always a "Unionist" but has never voted for a "Unionist Party" but voted if it happened re a Border Referendum she would have voted FOR the Union. However since Brexit at the last GE her and her husband and daughter voted Alliance and she tells me all the middle class Prods and RC's friends of her now want a UI when 4 years ago they were almost all "soft Unionists"

That train my friend, has long since left the station.

It's always easy to be wise after the event, but the time to have sold '..the benefits of the union...' to the Catholic population in NI was in the mid 60s. This could IMO, have been done. All that was needed was to win over circa 20%.

Now, after 30 years of the 'troubles', and just when they see the prospect of Irish unification in sight due to changing demographics, the NI catholics are hardly likely to be swayed by arguments in favour of the Union.

The threat of a re-ignition of the Troubles would deter a lot of RCs off voting for a United Ireland.

Let's be realistic about the situation; a sizeable proportion of the PUL wouldn't accept the end of their British identity under any circumstances and a referendum in Northern Ireland within the next few years would be extremely destabilising in my opinion.
Leaked MI5 papers showed that there are currently 12500 members of the UVF and UDA combined.
It also stated that the PIRA are still actively recruiting and still armed.
Anyone who thinks that Unionists will be forced into a UI needs to think again.

Emphasises why Unionists in NI need to "de-sectarianise" politics and secure RC votes. I'm led to believe a solid section of the RC community (over a third) hold a dim view of "unification" at best. Their votes will be crucial in keeping Ulster British.
Middle class catholics in Nothern Ireland have more in common with Nothern Protestants than they have with the sectarian bigots from the falls, the bogside or crossmaglen.

A friend of me she is a middle class RC lives in N Belfast with her Protestant husband and daughter. She was always a "Unionist" but has never voted for a "Unionist Party" but voted if it happened re a Border Referendum she would have voted FOR the Union. However since Brexit at the last GE her and her husband and daughter voted Alliance and she tells me all the middle class Prods and RC's friends of her now want a UI when 4 years ago they were almost all "soft Unionists"
Money talks and I would hazard a guess a reality check on their pockets would change a few tunes regards how “European” they want to be.

Middle class catholics in Nothern Ireland have more in common with Nothern Protestants than they have with the sectarian bigots from the falls, the bogside or crossmaglen.
I agree with you. But the tragedy for the cause of 'unionism' in Ulster, was that this realisation did not take place before the outbreak of the troubles.

To be realistic, a majority of Ulster's catholics would never be persuaded to support continued partition, but the support of a majority wasn't necessary. All that was required from a Unionist perspective was to convince circa 20% of the catholics that support for the union was in their economic interest.

This could have been done, but it would have required the Unionist Party to divest itself from direct associations with institutions such as the Orange Order, and to have appointed Catholics to important positions within the Stormont government. Easier said than done of course.

Ireland is currently fourth on the UN's Human Development Index (HDI) ranking, while the UK is at 14th. One component of those HDI rankings is real gross national income (GNI) per capita. ... On this measure, Ireland's income per head at $53,754 (€45,736) is 37 per cent higher than the UK's at $39,116 (€33,279).

It's figures like this that will decide folks views on a United Ireland. Also the RC church's loss of control. The fears of the Unionist population of unification are slowly eroding.

A feeling I harbour about present day Scotland. I share your anxiety dear friend. My old Granda will be looking down with sadness re your plight.

Ireland is currently fourth on the UN's Human Development Index (HDI) ranking, while the UK is at 14th. One component of those HDI rankings is real gross national income (GNI) per capita. ... On this measure, Ireland's income per head at $53,754 (€45,736) is 37 per cent higher than the UK's at $39,116 (€33,279).

It's figures like this that will decide folks views on a United Ireland. Also the RC church's loss of control. The fears of the Unionist population of unification are slowly eroding.
1. If that’s what the stats say, fair enough. However, with my own eyes I don’t see massive higher standard of living down South compared to NI. I don’t hear too many other people ever saying they have a better standard of living down there either.

2. As an NI Unionist, the RC Church is not the problem. Republicans who couldn’t give a monkies about the RC Church any more than I do, they are. I have absolutely no doubt that the continual attacks of the Chukkie brigade on the “Britishness” of NI would be then directed straight onto Protestants, for no other reason than being Protestant. A UI would be a “very cold house” and any Protestant that doesn’t believe so needs to examine their history and to look around them at what’s happening here.

Make no mistake, when the Chukkies say “Brits out”, what they really want as an end goal is not the British Government out. It’s anyone who considers themselves as British. Man, woman and child.

It was Albert Einstein who stated that the most powerful force in nature is the power of compound interest. Transposed into the context of demographics, if a minority group 'A' has on average 5-6 children per family, and the majority group 'B' has just two, then it is just a question that of time, before 'A' inevitably becomes the majority. This is what is happening in NI.

In southern Ireland, the situation was different. The demise of the Protestant population which at the time of independence stood at circa 15% but quickly thereafter diminished to its current 4.25%. There were two main reasons for this: one being the return after Independence in 1921 of large numbers of the Anglo-Irish middle class to England, where they quietly re-integrated themselves into the country of their forebears. The other principal reason for the decline in the population % of southern Irish Protestants, was insistence by the Catholic church that in the case of mixed marriages, that the children be raised as catholics.
Just look at the Irish rugby team a high percentage of them do not have Irish surnames I think it was the Irish Law when children of mixed couples had to make their children RC. The Ne Temere law

Last edited:
No offence in any way but I don’t believe you

Ru
OK she must be a liar I did not make that up. Look at the last GE--- N Down Alliance won it--- South Belfast SDLP won it-----East Belfast and DUP only won 2k there is something happenin
OK she must be a liar I did not make that up. Look at the last GE--- N Down Alliance won it--- South Belfast SDLP won it-----East Belfast and DUP only won 2k there is something happening
Look, there were various reasons why North Belfast , South Belfast and North Down were lost to Nationalist/Republican MPs. I’m sure you’re well aware of these reasons.
‘Soft’ Unionists might vote in a GE for parties like Alliance but voting for Northern Ireland to become part of the Irish Republic in a referendum? Wee bit different.
I appreciate you feel your anecdote about your friend was representative of a broad middle class Unionist vote but middle class Nationalists would be even more likely to vote for the Union in any referendum. They just don’t like to talk about it.

I've no idea if this was a valid / accurate statement - but someone told me there was once a time long past - when there were more non rc churches in Dublin than in Belfast

Looking at these maps - suggest it may have been possible - anyone know if this was true ?

Ru

Look, there were various reasons why North Belfast , South Belfast and North Down were lost to Nationalist/Republican MPs. I’m sure you’re well aware of these reasons.
‘Soft’ Unionists might vote in a GE for parties like Alliance but voting for Northern Ireland to become part of the Irish Republic in a referendum? Wee bit different.
I appreciate you feel your anecdote about your friend was representative of a broad middle class Unionist vote but middle class Nationalists would be even more likely to vote for the Union in any referendum. They just don’t like to talk about it.
I never mentioned Belfast North it was Belfast East what was the reason that Alliance nearly won it again. As I said something is happening Northern Ireland poll shows 45.4% back Irish unity and 46.8% support Union with UK - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Back