Provan article today. Steve Clarke emerged from car crash Euro 2020 campaign unscathed – he’s getting far easier ride than his predecessors

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
A first time for everything, I find myself agreeing with the turncoat wee pr1ck.

AHEAD of next weekend’s Premiership kick-off, no apologies for revisiting Scotland’s performance in the Euros.

Not sure how he’s done it, but Steve Clarke seems to have emerged from a car-crash campaign unscathed.

One point from nine? One goal in three games? In the serious football countries that’s enough to get the coach his jotters.

Not here in la-la land where some are still dining out on that scoreless draw at Wembley.

The finals proved Scotland are still miles behind the big boys but, tell you what, we’re world champions when it comes to celebrating failure.

Before the tournament SFA chief Ian Maxwell was talking about an extension to Clarke’s contract. I’ll bet he’s glad he didn’t jump in.

Maxwell should have had Clarke in his office after the defeat to Croatia for a rollicking.

Clarke has slipped off the hook because we matched England on their own patch on a night Billy Gilmour ran the game on his first start.

The Scotland coach can take no credit for Gilmour’s international emergence. But for Covid, Gilmour would have been watching the England game on the telly.

Clarke didn’t think the midfielder was good enough to make his original 23-man squad. Only when Uefa allowed another three wild cards did Gilmour get the nod.

That sums up Clarke perfectly, he’s never been one to take a chance. Risk and reward don’t figure in his thinking.

The most winnable game of the three was the Czech Republic at Hampden, but Clarke couldn’t bring himself to go with two strikers.

Only when we were behind and chasing the game did Che Adams get on the pitch. Gilmour watched the 90 minutes from the bench.

When Clarke had no choice but to play two up top and give Gilmour his first start at Wembley, we looked like a proper team.

The Scotland boss is getting an easy ride compared to predecessors.

When Ally MacLeod returned from Argentina with a win, draw and a defeat the Tartan Army wanted him flogged. Clarke is getting his back slapped for taking one point from nine.

Some reckon we lacked tournament nous having been locked out of high octane competition since 1998.

They may be right, but one thing’s for sure, Scotland will never be offered an easier route to the knockout stage of the Euros.

Remember, we didn’t qualify the hard way. We got a back door pass via the Nations League. Uefa bent over backwards helping Scotland.

If Gareth Southgate won the lottery with six of seven games at Wembley, Clarke was quids in as well.

Two home games against the Czech Republic and Croatia offered Scotland a ticket to the latter stages. It was more difficult to get knocked out of the competition than stay in.

For me, any team finishing third in a four-team group should be packing their bags.

But Uefa wants everyone leaving the party with a balloon, meaning Scotland could still qualify with a win over Croatia in the last game.

Hard to believe a 1-0 win over Luka Modric’s gang would have seen us in the knockouts having scored just twice in three games. Santa Claus must be running things in Nyon. Even then we still couldn’t get over the line.

Clarke has to have a serious rethink ahead of September’s World Cup ties.

For starters, Gilmour has to be one of the first names on his team-sheet. If Luis Enrique has confidence in 18-year-old Barcelona kid Pedri shouldn’t Clarke be trusting 20-year-old Champions League winner Gilmour?

Nathan Patterson should also be judged on ability not his age.

Clarke’s over-cautious approach has us in trouble for Qatar 2022.

It took a late John McGinn goal to salvage a point in the opening qualifier against Austria on a night Adams was parked on the bench again.

When we should have been imposing ourselves as the home side, Scotland were timid.

Another two points spilled in Israel three days later didn’t do us any favours either.

With Denmark up next Scotland will have to find a gear they didn’t have at the Euros.

I’d rather see us lose having a go than go down on the back foot.

Scotland where never going to beat Croatia also Clarke wasn’t responsible for most of the results that got Scotland there I agree with Provan not getting beat by England is all that matters I’m glad I don’t give a damn.

Clarke will end up at the Piggery eventually,maybe big Ange's arse is keeping his seat in the dugout warm for a December appointment?!.

When we got the World Cup in 94 the fear was we wouldn't make it out of the group.Thankfully we did

I can only think of South Africa as a host that failed to qualify for the 2nd round

Clarke's head should have rolled or he should have resigned

Why do columnists like provan and Ferguson need to write in single sentence paragraphs?

But I agree with what he's written here, Clarke got off massively from the fans and press up here. Especially when you look at the grief Mcleish took.

It is a good article when you watch the final you just think what on earth are we so scared of there were no great teams at the tourney we could have picked up points or even beaten any side. Italy won it no one really believes they are a top side with great players.

I thought before it started 2 games and the best away fixture we could hope for against a top nation because of the history/ derby match, players from same league, this is set up perfectly.

Scotland should have done so much better the problem is another scottish manager may do exactly the same in future. Too feart too much respect for the opposition they are foreign so they must be magic. Even if someone like Moyes takes it i expect the same issue.

Only one thing Provan wont admit he wanted two strikers, he says, but spent the friendly against Luxembourg before the euros slagging the 2 players up front that played and linked up well even if they both missed a few chances.

A first time for everything, I find myself agreeing with the turncoat wee pr1ck.

AHEAD of next weekend’s Premiership kick-off, no apologies for revisiting Scotland’s performance in the Euros.

Not sure how he’s done it, but Steve Clarke seems to have emerged from a car-crash campaign unscathed.

One point from nine? One goal in three games? In the serious football countries that’s enough to get the coach his jotters.

Not here in la-la land where some are still dining out on that scoreless draw at Wembley.

The finals proved Scotland are still miles behind the big boys but, tell you what, we’re world champions when it comes to celebrating failure.

Before the tournament SFA chief Ian Maxwell was talking about an extension to Clarke’s contract. I’ll bet he’s glad he didn’t jump in.

Maxwell should have had Clarke in his office after the defeat to Croatia for a rollicking.

Clarke has slipped off the hook because we matched England on their own patch on a night Billy Gilmour ran the game on his first start.

The Scotland coach can take no credit for Gilmour’s international emergence. But for Covid, Gilmour would have been watching the England game on the telly.

Clarke didn’t think the midfielder was good enough to make his original 23-man squad. Only when Uefa allowed another three wild cards did Gilmour get the nod.

That sums up Clarke perfectly, he’s never been one to take a chance. Risk and reward don’t figure in his thinking.

The most winnable game of the three was the Czech Republic at Hampden, but Clarke couldn’t bring himself to go with two strikers.

Only when we were behind and chasing the game did Che Adams get on the pitch. Gilmour watched the 90 minutes from the bench.

When Clarke had no choice but to play two up top and give Gilmour his first start at Wembley, we looked like a proper team.

When Ally MacLeod returned from Argentina with a win, draw and a defeat the Tartan Army wanted him flogged. Clarke is getting his back slapped for taking one point from nine.

Some reckon we lacked tournament nous having been locked out of high octane competition since 1998.

They may be right, but one thing’s for sure, Scotland will never be offered an easier route to the knockout stage of the Euros.

Remember, we didn’t qualify the hard way. We got a back door pass via the Nations League. Uefa bent over backwards helping Scotland.

If Gareth Southgate won the lottery with six of seven games at Wembley, Clarke was quids in as well.

Two home games against the Czech Republic and Croatia offered Scotland a ticket to the latter stages. It was more difficult to get knocked out of the competition than stay in.

For me, any team finishing third in a four-team group should be packing their bags.

But Uefa wants everyone leaving the party with a balloon, meaning Scotland could still qualify with a win over Croatia in the last game.

Hard to believe a 1-0 win over Luka Modric’s gang would have seen us in the knockouts having scored just twice in three games. Santa Claus must be running things in Nyon. Even then we still couldn’t get over the line.

For starters, Gilmour has to be one of the first names on his team-sheet. If Luis Enrique has confidence in 18-year-old Barcelona kid Pedri shouldn’t Clarke be trusting 20-year-old Champions League winner Gilmour?

It took a late John McGinn goal to salvage a point in the opening qualifier against Austria on a night Adams was parked on the bench again.

When we should have been imposing ourselves as the home side, Scotland were timid.

Another two points spilled in Israel three days later didn’t do us any favours either.

With Denmark up next Scotland will have to find a gear they didn’t have at the Euros.

I reckon Provan is one of the few decent ones. He's never been shy to go against the grain of popular opinion.
He was also one of the very few at the time that backed the Rangers fans that were leading protests against Murray.

Steve Clarkes record is terrible whe you analyse it. Qualifying for the Euros is a bare minimum for any Scotland manager from now in imo as its really quite easy to get in now it’s 24. More so if they go ahead and put it to 32. Success for Scotland manager now would be getting a WC a much harder task. He won't get close.

I reckon Provan is one of the few decent ones. He's never been shy to go against the grain of popular opinion.
He was also one of the very few at the time that backed the Rangers fans that were leading protests against Murray.
He also said Gazza kidding on to play a flute could derail the NI peace process.........

Proven was slating Clarke on GoRadio after the Euros and he was spot on. Hes the only one in the media who has spoke the truth about him.

He’s a limited manager but Scotland’s squad is utter garbage.

Bar 2 or 3 exceptions there is no quality to work with. No one is achieving anything with that team.
Disagree.

McLaughlin

Cooper Hendry Tierney

Patterson McTominay Jack McGinn Robertson

Fraser Adams

That team is more than good enough to be making the latter stages of the Euros.

Turkey and Macedonia were the only two teams with a worse record. Hungary picked up more points in a group with France, Germany and Portugal.

What we saw this summer was nothing short of utter humiliation of a manager who isn't fit to lead above Scottish Championship level

Proven was slating Clarke on GoRadio after the Euros and he was spot on. Hes the only one in the media who has spoke the truth about him.
Last year during qualifiers I heard bbc Scotland , incredibly , and Willie Miller clearly thinks the same .

As long as he continues to play the token scum players he will continue to be a Scotland manager. Christie, Forrest and Turnbull aren't in the squad due to ability and Mcgregor is at best a squad player hence isn't picked above others due to ability either.

Disagree.

McLaughlin

Cooper Hendry Tierney

Patterson McTominay Jack McGinn Robertson

Fraser Adams

That team is more than good enough to be making the latter stages of the Euros.

Turkey and Macedonia were the only two teams with a worse record. Hungary picked up more points in a group with France, Germany and Portugal.

What we saw this summer was nothing short of utter humiliation of a manager who isn't fit to lead above Scottish Championship level
You just dropped our best player?

That article is spot on. Clarke is a naturally cautious, risk averse, overly defensive manager. Which is not remotely suited to tournament football.

He’s a stick on to replace the current fall guy in the C****c hot seat, as they will pivot to someone who can organise that shambolic defence. One extreme to the other. Lovely.

Well said I hope the turd polishing Scotland fans read it and realise we were pretty poor, too cautious and papped out for being so.

Clarke has the personality akin to a dead fish

IMO he could not inspire professional players from a variety of clubs in EPL and top 2 in SPL

His demeanour is dour and downbeat

The Peasants won’t want him once Big Angie is dumped

Stephen O'Donnell and Lyndon Dykes are two of the most useless footballers I've seen play for Scotland and yet Clarke rates them as essential to his team.

Says it all.

And celebrating 0-0 draw with England was a national embarrassment.

That game against us must have been the easiest Modric has ever played in.

Clarke allowed him to swan around the park unmarked.

Would not surprise me if he’s Celtic manager before the end of this season but it equally would not surprise me if that is a role taking in conjunction with the national managers job. We don’t have a real international country at this point just a bastardised one to suit a paedo sympathetic club team.

Pretty much every single line is spot on. There's not a word or point out of place or that you can argue with really.

Back