Provan in The Sun: vote was a stitch up + Hearts should take legal action

Sports journalists in Scotland kept their mouths shut for decades whilst dozens upon dozens of children were abused by a ring of paedophile staff working for Celtc,
They knew the 'open secret' and kept it away from public view.
Why does anyone think that they will now start speaking truths regarding this club's other grasping appetite for money and unearned glory?

They will put this title up alongside their 3-0 victory over Warsaw and their other 3-0 victory over some Swiss side and it will all hang alongside their pennants from that Japanese tour.
A football club built on lies from the beginning and now drowning in false glory.

Absolutely correct.

And it was from the very beginning Bilko.

Unless the political climate changes rapidly in this country, then I fear we'll just be going round in circles.

They seen an opportunity when that parliament opened up and by god, they took it. That along with them jumping on the pc bandwagon of playing the repressed irish. This has now left a situation where people are scared to say anything about them for fear of being accused of being a bigot/racist.

When you have a Tory spokesman talking about the vile sectarian song, the Billy boys, then what chance have we got.

From today’s Sun - Provan has another go at the stitch up. Sort of.

———

”IN a rare public appearance this week, SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell offered his take on the Covid-19 crisis. He said: “We hope all the clubs survive and we are absolutely determined to ensure they all survive.”

Nice soundbite, but it’s clear he doesn’t have a clue where our game is headed right now. My own hunch is that Maxwell and Neil Doncaster will end up at Holyrood begging for a taxpayer bailout. Either way, a bit of leadership from the SFA is overdue. Up until now the governing body has been posted missing. Meanwhile, down the corridor the SPFL has been running the leagues like the Sicilian Mafia. When Maxwell and running mate Rod Petrie should have been blowing the whistle on Doncaster’s gang, they washed their hands of responsibility.

Those of my vintage will recall different times. Ernie Walker and Jim Farry both had their faults, but they ensured the SFA was always in charge. Those running the leagues knew their place. They were the junior partners in the relationship. Now the SFA is barely relevant on Hampden’s sixth floor. When they should be holding the SPFL to account they’ve become the SPFL’s glove puppet instead. Love to know what Maxwell makes of recent events. In particular the Good Friday voting circus that concluded with gullible Dundee MD John Nelms buying a reconstruction fairy tale.

That allowed the SPFL to pursue the only agenda they had from day one. Getting the leagues called, dishing out prize money and to hell with the collateral damage. That ballot shambles should have been enough to have the SFA flexing some muscle, but they didn’t want to know.

Biggest victims of the vote stitch-up were Hearts and Partick Thistle. No disrespect to Stranraer who were also shafted, but the priority should be looking after full-time clubs whose players play for their living. My pal Tony Fitzpatrick, the St Mirren chief executive, offered his opinion on the imminent relegation of Hearts saying, “They’d have struggled to get off the bottom and deserve to be relegated.” Sorry mate, you’re so wrong.

Yeah, the Jambos have been a disgrace and deserved to be bottom of the league when football was stopped. But they still had a decent chance of saving themselves with eight games outstanding. How can directors of Premiership clubs look Hearts chairman Ann Budge in the eye when the Tynecastle club is facing a £3million hit? With suggestions Championship clubs will play a curtailed season beginning next January, how do Hearts keep the lights on for seven months without any income?

Only in Scotland would we boot the country’s third biggest club out of the league needlessly.
Mind you, these are the same people who made the lunatic decision to put Rangers in League Two.
Meanwhile, Budge could do without the disingenuous guff she’s hearing. Hamilton’s Allan Maitland assures us Accies were never in danger, saying, “We weren’t too worried about the team behind us. From that point of view we were a wee bit disappointed the season finished when it did.” Four points from relegation, 24 points up for grabs and he wasn’t worried? Do us a favour.

Elsewhere, the treatment of Thistle in the Championship beggars belief. Relegated when just two points behind Queen of the South with a game in hand? Are they having a laugh? With talk of the two lower leagues padlocking the gates for a season, where would that leave Thistle? Having threatened legal action, Budge is having another go at league reconstruction. A 14-10-10-10 set-up would help a lot of clubs. It would spare Hearts, Thistle and    Stranraer,           see Falkirk promoted and give Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts a leg up.

In the mythical world of sporting integrity it’s a no-brainer, if only for a couple of seasons. The Premiership would boast derbies in Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Highlands, with the New Firm derby back where it belongs too. Are Sky Sports going to object to that? Wouldn’t sponsors, currently running for the hills, buy into it? Unfortunately, Budge has made a few enemies during this crisis. It’s difficult to see how she gets the numbers to overcome that ludicrous top-flight voting system. Chances are she’ll be left with the nuclear option of going to the courts. If she takes that route I wish her well.

————

Good enough article, calling out many of the shysters involved in the fiasco and acknowledging the whole thing was a sham. An article full of logic, fairness, and without bias or agenda (maybe he could pass on some tips to Lonely Bill and the Failed Trialist). However, it fails to ask the 2 very big questions at the heart of the issue:-

1) WHY did the SPFL act in the way they did?

2) WHO was pulling the strings / for whose benefit?

C’mon Davie, at least give us a wee hint of what you think really happened. Even a wee, non-libellous clue would suffice. Maybe next week?

Whats the differnce between there being enough points to win league as opposed enough points to avoid relegation?Oh I forgot that involves tainted title.
Exactly. If he is saying Hearts have a good case for being unfairly relegated then he is also implying Rangers (and others) have been unfairly treated, as it was still mathematically possible for a few teams to win the league.

Sports journalists in Scotland kept their mouths shut for decades whilst dozens upon dozens of children were abused by a ring of paedophile staff working for Celtc,
Why does anyone think that they will now start speaking truths regarding this club's other grasping appetite for money and unearned glory?

They will put this title up alongside their 3-0 victory over Warsaw and their other 3-0 victory over some Swiss side and it will all hang alongside their pennants from that Japanese tour.
A football club built on lies from the beginning and now drowning in false glory.

That is some post bilko and any lurkers of the press variety (we know you're here)) must shudder as they read through it knowing full well they are part of the corruption and the cover up.

Is that two columns in a row he has spoken sense, only one that is calling it as it is, not like him.
Yep, 2 weeks in a row. So thats Provan, Tom English, Ewan Murray, and Bruce Archer not falling into line with Lawwell & Co’s wee narrative.

No-one has explicitly stated what we all suspect, though. Our board included. So far.

This still has a long way to run.

Incidentally, I wonder what Lawwell, Lennon, and his coaches/players bonuses were for ‘winning’ the title. Quite a few sheckles I would imagine. No wonder Lennon was out on day one demanding the title.

Or maybe this all came about because Lennon threatened Doncaster with a knife? He does have previous form in this. But this theory is probably a bit far fetched as Doncaster is a man, and not a woman :cool:

It's going to be a very interesting week. I hope we hold our vote for the 28 days to see the outcome, pressure the SPFL, and generally watch everyone start to lose their shit.

Nobody wants to be seen as the bad guy here, but we shouldn't be scared of that after our recent experience with the cabal.

When discussing the restart of the Bundesliga, Provan mentions “The stitch-up vote that allowed Hampden to call season 2019/20”.

Also comments on Hearts:- “AS always, it’ll come down to money. But if Hearts have the cash to contest their relegation through legal action, they must do it. Having been sunk by skint clubs who desperately needed prize money, the Jambos shouldn’t roll over now. Who in their right mind believes a club should be relegated just four points adrift with eight games left? In France, Amiens are taking court action against the French Football Federation after being relegated with ten games remaining. Chairman Bernard Joannin says: “This decision is unjust, incoherent and unfounded.” Could any of the SPFL outfits who knifed Hearts argue with that?”

Just come out and say it Davie, be a brave boy. We can tell you are desperate to say what you really think happened, that it was all a sham. The lies, coercion, bullying, bribery which occurred before, during and after the vote. WHY was there a stitch up? Who was driving it? Who stands to benefit from a voting stitch up? Why were the SPFL desperately campaigning against a free, open independent investigation if they had nothing to hide?

It’s like a dirty secret that every journo knows, and every club director, is too afraid to come out and say it directly, for fear of recrimination and abuse. You can bet Tom English, Ewan Murray, and even Davie Provan have typed out the words Celtic and Lawwell in their recent articles, then thought twice and quickly hit the delete button.

C’mon Davie, are you a man or a mouse?
He’s nor afraid to write Rangers or Robertson though is he? He’s another coward making half hearted accusations

Tremondous contribution. and accurate to the letter.
One thing I'd add and it's just to add to a point you've made.
We've all been highly critical of present day and more recent journalists.
However, this goes back a lot further, to the days of Cameron, Archer and Taylor.
Where were these guy as well?

If the league reconstruction vote passes then Hearts have contributed to this scandal. Hearts threaten legal action against the spfl and clubs who voted yes in the resolution. Hearts' chief heads up her own resolution for league reconstruction. Scottish football will effectively be rigging the leagues to prevent a proper legal inquiry into the resolution vote. Teams who could have won their respective leagues have been financially disadvantaged and more importantly sporting integrity has been cast aside.

When discussing the restart of the Bundesliga, Provan mentions “The stitch-up vote that allowed Hampden to call season 2019/20”.

Also comments on Hearts:- “AS always, it’ll come down to money. But if Hearts have the cash to contest their relegation through legal action, they must do it. Having been sunk by skint clubs who desperately needed prize money, the Jambos shouldn’t roll over now. Who in their right mind believes a club should be relegated just four points adrift with eight games left? In France, Amiens are taking court action against the French Football Federation after being relegated with ten games remaining. Chairman Bernard Joannin says: “This decision is unjust, incoherent and unfounded.” Could any of the SPFL outfits who knifed Hearts argue with that?”

Just come out and say it Davie, be a brave boy. We can tell you are desperate to say what you really think happened, that it was all a sham. The lies, coercion, bullying, bribery which occurred before, during and after the vote. WHY was there a stitch up? Who was driving it? Who stands to benefit from a voting stitch up? Why were the SPFL desperately campaigning against a free, open independent investigation if they had nothing to hide?

It’s like a dirty secret that every journo knows, and every club director, is too afraid to come out and say it directly, for fear of recrimination and abuse. You can bet Tom English, Ewan Murray, and even Davie Provan have typed out the words Celtic and Lawwell in their recent articles, then thought twice and quickly hit the delete button.

C’mon Davie, are you a man or a mouse?
I hate to say this, but if every chairman knows it, then that includes us. Why don’t Rangers come out and say it and fight for a CL

It's even more embarrassing for Provan that he kept his mouth shut when it mattered.

Trying to keep some credibility that's all he is doing.

I do agree he has a go at them, however he said, on more than one occasion, we were mad to get rid of Ashley and his money in favour of king. How anybody can say that Ashley, with his sd loaded strip deals and other actions was a better option for Rangers. I cannot trust or respect anyone that comes to that opinion.
Plenty Bears had that same opinion mate.

Davie Provan says what he feels every Sunday and doesn’t care whether it’s us or them or Scotland.

He was the same when he was on Clyde phone in.

I personally don’t have a problem with his column as he has a dig at most clubs over the piece.

Whether I agree with him or not is another thing altogether.

He’s entitled to his opinion and in Scotland he’s better than most of them in the sense that he at least has a go at them when others fear to tread.

Yeah he certainly has more bottle than the rest and speaks his mind that is true you would never see or hear Keevins, Jackson, Broadfoot and this mob having a go at the cabel or hinting corruption, he is no fool either knows the game thats why he does live EPL not shows hosted by Peter McGuire.

Sadly 90 per cent of it is sheer bitter hatred his behaviour on that phone in and on live sky games(scottish) or even when he had his own wee show in the 90s was utterly shameful.

Give it a month he will be back to attacking Rangers on just about every subject possible.

I am surprised some journalists are still telling the truth and keeping this relevant whilst others think job done swept under the big carpet of shame.

If you don't know what's going on behind the scenes then you're going on blind instinct.

Once you know what's going on you change or reinforce your views accordingly.
And yet when there were protests outside the megastore we still had fans with a "nobody tells me where to shop" attitude.

I don't know anyone personally who wanted Ashley in any way connected to Rangers, but they did exist, even when we knew how much the club was being shafted.

And yet when there were protests outside the megastore we still had fans with a "nobody tells me where to shop" attitude.

I don't know anyone personally who wanted Ashley in any way connected to Rangers, but they did exist, even when we knew how much the club was being shafted.
There were loads. I came off FF partly because of them. Decrying King etc. 'Ashley is a billionaire'
'he's got the money to take us forward'
It drove me insane

If Colin Weir had still been alive I have no doubt that he would have funded Patrick Thistle in legal action against the SPFL. The way Thistle have been treated is disgusting.

If hearts were to go down the legal route what would be their stance ? Would it be that they have been unfairly relegated because I’d the remaining games or would it be that the vote to relegate them was illegal ?

If hearts were to go down the legal route what would be their stance ? Would it be that they have been unfairly relegated because I’d the remaining games or would it be that the vote to relegate them was illegal ?

Most probably that they were denied the chance to stay up, just as we were denied the chance to win the title. The indecent haste to curtail the League season, while keeping the option of playing the Scottish Cup could help their legal case, tbh.

I’m convinced Lieswell will bribe and coerce the SPL teams out with Rangers to accept an increased SPL to 14/16 teams for one or two seasons

Keep Hearts and Thistle safe from relegation and stop them challenging the vote sham from 10th April which a court would find was corrupt if a proper independent investigation was allowed into the corruption in the SPL

Rangers if they want to cleanse the corruption will have to do it on our own

All the other clubs will back off

Lieswell will ensure that

It’s up to us to pursue it legally

I hate to say this, but if every chairman knows it, then that includes us. Why don’t Rangers come out and say it and fight for a CL
I’ve posted this before.
I think the lead has to come from the club most affected and we’ll be there to support them.
I get that you’re offering a good complaint for us pursue.
It’s not for me though.

Yup, you will never get to the bottom of that rationale. They'll be the same ones who thought Murray did a sterling job at Ibrox.

It's like selling out our allocations at away grounds, thus allowing all these rats who put the boot into us in 2012, to keep going.

Could it be that the league just made up a rule and set a criteria that wasn’t there at the beginning of the season?
There were so many other viable options, like taking the league back to the half way stage where each team had played each other home and away, so, why this one?
I’m guessing here that there was no rule in place for a season cancelling event.

Could it be that the league just made up a rule and set a criteria that wasn’t there at the beginning of the season?
There were so many other viable options, like taking the league back to the half way stage where each team had played each other home and away, so, why this one?
I’m guessing here that there was no rule in place for a season cancelling event.
That is what the original resolution vote was for. There was no provision in the rules for taking the action they wanted to in ending the season, so they needed the resolution and successful vote to change the rules.

I suppose one argument would be that the season started with one set of regulations and should have stood for that season, before being allowed to be changed. However as it is a PLC, and was voted for members, then I don’t know if that argument would hold.

There are many, many parts of the whole thing that reeks, from refusing and aggressively campaigning against any investigation, ND denying clubs contacted him about bullying before changing his story, the Cease & Desist letters, holding their own narrow secret investigation with Deloitte, not to mention the actual missing Dundee vote fiasco itself.

But I think we smelled a rat at the beginning when their rushed resolution, which made no mention of £10m TV liabilities, essentially held a gun to the clubs heads over money for votes, and they refused to entertain Rangers alternative resolution and actively put obstacles up against it.

Liewell has got his title so it’s job done as far as he’s concerned.

As to whether or not there’s reconstruction I’m sure he couldn’t give a toss and TBH neither will we. Reconstruction will have no financial impact on either Rangers or Celtic as the revenue from playing smaller clubs is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. It doesn’t make a difference crowd wise if we play St Boo or Ayr Utd. So long as there are 4 us v them then our TV revenue remains the same.

I’m pretty sure that this is the reason that as soon as they were awarded their tainted title signals were sent out to Budge to resurrect her deal and they’d see it was approved as they’re anxious for obvious reasons to avoid seeing the inside of a court room.

The REALLY annoying thing is we marched our men up to the top of the hill and meekly marched them down again. The club have let us down badly on this one after having presented us with a prima facia case for court action and intimated that they’d peruse the fight till the end. They’ve bottled the fight and in doing so they’ve made themselves look week and subservient.

i suspect I’m not alone in considering whether there is any point in investing money and emotions in a sport that is so openly corrupt and rigged.

Hearts have no morals.
To hold off on legal action in the hope of a backdoor survival that will let this all go. I hope they go under!

While a little part of me appreciates Hearts are trying to save their skin by any means necessary, they can not be taken as a serious football club in doing so.

Ann Budge is like a beaten wife going back to the husband every time in the hope they might have changed their ways, rather than facing the obvious truth.

Davie Provan says what he feels every Sunday and doesn’t care whether it’s us or them or Scotland.

He was the same when he was on Clyde phone in.

I personally don’t have a problem with his column as he has a dig at most clubs over the piece.

Whether I agree with him or not is another thing altogether.

He’s entitled to his opinion and in Scotland he’s better than most of them in the sense that he at least has a go at them when others fear to tread.

If that's the case, I can only guess that nobody has bothered to reproduce on here the ones where he's having a justifiable go at celtc and/or being generous to us.
Everything of his that's been put on here is pretty one sided.
Having said that, his job is to sell papers, and especially now at a time when paper sales are plummeting he'll be prepared to say almost anything that he thinks certain folks want to hear.

Back