PSV - the return leg

Isje 931

Still quite confident we can do this

Genuinely thought they would have been far more free flowing. seemed more methodical in their build up, confident passers but expected them to be more creative. Dont think we out smarted or out played. Rie is still very much alive and now its up to them to set the tone on the retunr leg.

In eindhoven id like to see us go more 4-3-3 with a defensive midfield and Kent and Matondo on the wings,

Genuinely thought they would have been far more free flowing. seemed more methodical in their build up, confident passers but expected them to be more creative. Dont think we out smarted or out played. Rie is still very much alive and now its up to them to set the tone on the retunr leg.

In eindhoven id like to see us go more 4-3-3 with a defensive midfield and Kent and Matondo on the wings,
I thought they passed us off the park at times in the 2nd half. Remember we were the home team meant to be taking the game to them. They will be alot more confident than us. Still hope tho!

I thought they passed us off the park at times in the 2nd half. Remember we were the home team meant to be taking the game to them. They will be alot more confident than us. Still hope tho!

they did in the middle but they didnt make an awful lot of use with it

Was suprised how psv looked a level above us tonight. Winning away from home is going to be a massive ask. Will need to score 2/3 to have a chance

We need to play better than we did against Union.

Last year away from home we failed to beat Braga, Red Star, Alashkert, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Malmö and then two powerhouses in Lyon and Leipzig.

We did beat Dortmund however

But the odds are really against us - but you never know

It is going to be very, very tough. They'll know we have a massive weak point in defending corners. They'll be going for that, I am sure that is one thing Van Nistelrooy will take away from this game. We certainly are not out, we can win it but we need to get the central defence more focussed and someone needs to waken big Goldson up.

Last year away from home we failed to beat Braga, Red Star, Alashkert, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Malmö and then two powerhouses in Lyon and Leipzig.

Dortmund away a clear outlier last season whereas as you point out generally our away performances in Europe recently have been disappointing to say the least.

Add to that our defensive issues just now, I just don’t have much confidence for next week.

Would be stupid to say we don't have a chance. We do but we really need improve of defence of set pieces. PSV are rightly favourites as of now.

It does amaze me how this Rangers team, who have been so consistent in Europe over the past 4 years, continually go through bouts of looking like they're terrified. or caught in the headlights.

Of course we can still do it but unless Morelos spectacularly is ready to start in Holland, Psv are heavy favourites. Since Morelos went off injured against Red Star, away from Ibrox we haven't won a match, only scored once and conceded six. His ability to bully defenders and hold the ball up are so important away from home.

They’ll be happier with the result and if we’re being completely honest probably shaded it tonight in terms of chances created.

Colak’s goal aside, we didn’t really trouble them enough in an attacking sense.

Matondo might have been a better option than Wright.

tbf you could twist that and say Dortmund and Lyon have failed to beat us and it took a brillianr Leipzig goal to beat us too....

we also drew with Frankfurt in 90 mins.

i do find us better against better teams is what i suppose im trying to say

It is advantage psv but seen enough that we can't at least get a draw with then extra time and possibly penalties.
Yeah defensively we where shaky at times. When playing out from the back suprised we didn't loose the ball more often.
Psv as well defensively look as if can be put under pressure.
If we take any chances we make we can do this.

tbf you could twist that and say Dortmund and Lyon have failed to beat us and it took a brillianr Leipzig goal to beat us too....

we also drew with Frankfurt in 90 mins.

i do find us better against better teams is what i suppose im trying to say

Yeah but a draw next week doesn’t put us through we need to win.

Or it’s penalties and we know what happened the last time it went to that

We can certainly do it but we’ll need to up our game. We still can’t defend set pieces. The second goal was a shocker. Nobody fckn even jumped

They were a good, technical side who can play some quality football if you let them which we did for the bulk of the 2nd half. They’re also your typical, cynical European side - constantly giving away cheap free kicks all over the shop & milking it when our players did the same to them to try & con the ref into booking players or sending them off.
Actually thought the ref was lenient first half & could’ve got the cards out quicker to send a warning out.

We need to be better than we were 2nd half tonight over in Eindhoven.

Still in it but it’s a massive long shot now.

Our back line gives me the absolute fear and this endless pissing about at the back, passing ourselves into pressure is going to cost us this season.

Really don’t see us negotiating the away leg as things stand, but fingers crossed. We’ve rode our luck tonight already, so maybe we can steal the tie.

After our run last season I’ll go in to every European game confidently that we can get a result home or away so I think we can do it.
Not a fan of some of the defending and playing it in and around our own box tho.

Its 60-40 % in PSV's favour. We must score first over there or its done.Tonight was the night to throw the kitchen sink at the Dutch when we went 2-1 up. We can still do it, but it'll be difficult.

Apart from the fact we had more possession, more shots and more shots on target?

They were comfortable throughout and let our players do their horseshoe at the back. You can’t watch that game and think we were the better team

I really wish I had your confidence and optimism OP, but I think we blew it tonight. Had we taken a lead to Holland i'd be a little more confident, but they toyed with us for large portions of that second half. Getting win at their gaff will be a huge ask. We are capable of scoring, but have big issues with our defence.

However, a victory is an absolute must if we are to prevent the mentally challengeds pulling away from us in the next couple of years. Its ironic they are enjoying a cL windfall off the back of our efforts, but life can be cruel. We desperately need to find a way to win at all costs.

They'll be a completely different team at home mate.

I remember watching PSV v Leicester City in the ECL quarters last season and get a feeling our match will be similar. Very strong start from the home team, creating some good chances, we'll gradually come into it.

Of course we need to do as Leicester and transform our chances into goals.

Dortmund came at us 2-4. We can exploit them they sat in tonight a bit won’t do that at home. Our pace can hurt them.

Not confident for next week.

Our defence will have to vastly improve if we are to have any chance.

I obviously hope that they do, and I am talking out of my arse.

I have every faith we can beat them over there, we simply need to defend well from set-pieces, it's been an evident problem for the last 18 months or so.

I didn't think we were the better team.

We were even matched and not bossed like you made out imo.

Two good teams and we have every chance next week.

They had us well worked out and we barely created a chance. No shame in it as but I honestly felt they were a level overall above us . Looked so comfortable and made the crowd silent very quickly

Back