PSV - the return leg

We need to play better than we did against Union.

Last year away from home we failed to beat Braga, Red Star, Alashkert, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Malmö and then two powerhouses in Lyon and Leipzig.

We did beat Dortmund however

But the odds are really against us - but you never know
Jesus that's bad reading. Didn't realise it was as bad as that.

I said it was going to be attacking tonight by both sides which it was, I can see next week being the same. I think as it's football that anything can happen, just hope we do it but it's gonna be tough

Too much of our possession is passes between our defenders.
We only managed to play for short spells in the game, our first goal was a cracker and the second lucky. I'm pee'd off we never put another shot into that keeper after he dropped one in.
At 2-1 that was our great chance as their keeper was under pressure but we reverted to dangerous passes in our own half and didn’t test him again.

If we have a competent ref that will actually call out a team of cheats diving about then happily snapping in, we will be fine. PSV didn’t impress me tonight at all.

At 2-1 that was our great chance as their keeper was under pressure but we reverted to dangerous passes in our own half and didn’t test him again.
It’s fcking brain damage to watch us doing it over and over. Seriously losing patience with it as it’s definitely being coached into them.

We look far better when we get on the front foot and move at pace. I really don’t think we play to our strengths.

Doubt they will be as cautious as they were in the first half and be more like they were in the 2nd half probably more attacking. We can't go there and try defend for 90 minutes Gio has to move away from that plan that he usually goes with away in Europe. Think it will be a big ask in all honesty but we are certainly capable of doing it.

We're definitely up against it next week and go in as pretty obvious second favourites.

However, there's also an element of pressure on them next week. Do they come out and go for it, leaving gaps for us to exploit? Or do they sit in, keep it tight, and let pressure from the home crowd build?

Overall, home advantage is just that - but without a clear task of what you have to do e.g. us vs Braga/Leipzig, it can bring its downsides.

I think we're capable of scoring goals in Eindhoven but also capable of conceding too.
Would be a lot happier if we still had Balogun in central defence

Its 60-40 % in PSV's favour. We must score first over there or its done.Tonight was the night to throw the kitchen sink at the Dutch when we went 2-1 up. We can still do it, but it'll be difficult.
Statements like that as if its fact annoy me tbh. We could lose a goal in the 1st minute and equalise in the 90th and end up going through.

We're definitely up against it next week and go in as pretty obvious second favourites.

However, there's also an element of pressure on them next week. Do they come out and go for it, leaving gaps for us to exploit? Or do they sit in, keep it tight, and let pressure from the home crowd build?

Overall, home advantage is just that - but without a clear task of what you have to do e.g. us vs Braga/Leipzig, it can bring its downsides.

I think your point about them not knowing what they have to do is more applicable to if away goals counted.

PSV patently know they have to win the game because it’s now a one off knockout.

I hope i’m wrong but i cannot see how we qualify from this position. They look a far bigger threat than us going forward and our defending at set pieces is shocking. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we get a bit of a going over unfortunately

I think your point about them not knowing what they have to do is more applicable to if away goals counted.

PSV patently know they have to win the game because it’s now a one off knockout.
Agreed. I think they’ll be quite comfortable coming out to win at home to be honest.

They knew tonight was the test with our home performances and the crowd giving us the advantage.

It’s fcking brain damage to watch us doing it over and over. Seriously losing patience with it as it’s definitely being coached into them.

We look far better when we get on the front foot and move at pace. I really don’t think we play to our strengths.
Couldn’t agree more, equalizer came from our first move of fast positive play but we don’t do it nearly enough. We were so negative on the ball most of the game tonight.

Remember this will be a high pressure tie for them as well - I’ve seen us trip up against lesser sides at home (realistically, I do think they’re the better team). The longer it’s 0-0 the nervier they’ll get. Matondo’s pace surely a must at some stage. Would kill for peak Alfie.

Statements like that as if its fact annoy me tbh. We could lose a goal in the 1st minute and equalise in the 90th and end up going through.

They'll throw the kitchen sink at us from the first minute and go for as many goals as possible to finish the tie early. We were too cautious tonight when 2-1 up and it cost us.

You've got hope that we'll get more space up front next week.
That first goal we scored tonight shows what we are capable of going forward but we don't gamble enough and prefer to play safe passes, often backwards.
The less said about defending set pieces the better.

Not overly confident given our recent horrendous away European form and performances, would feel slightly more confident if Alfie was up to speed but sadly I think it will have come too early for him to start.

That being said we’ve beaten better teams recently, they are a tidy outfit but certainly beatable.

Last year away from home we failed to beat Braga, Red Star, Alashkert, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Malmö and then two powerhouses in Lyon and Leipzig.

This is different we played to stay in tie we will go for it nothing to lose

They made more chances than we did tonight and our defence looks fragile at times. Once again it took a mistake by their keeper to give us the lead. It will be very difficult away and we can't rely on them making errors to see us through. As others have said our away form in Europe recently is abysmal.

We need to tighten up at the back, defend corners better in particular and get a hold of the midfield. We can do it but have to perform at our very best.

Can someone link me to travel thread, mate is a defeatist and gave me his ticket tonight.

There's context missing from a few of the games you listed there.

They made more chances than we did tonight and our defence looks fragile at times. Once again it took a mistake by their keeper to give us the lead. It will be very difficult away and we can't rely on them making errors to see us through. As others have said our away form in Europe recently is abysmal.

We need to tighten up at the back, defend corners better in particular and get a hold of the midfield. We can do it but have to perform at our very best.
Do the stats back that up?

Didn't feel that way to me.

Think we needed to win tonight to stand any chance tbh.

I suspect they'll create more at home which means we'll need to defend far better and create more chances.

Think we needed to win tonight to stand any chance tbh.

I suspect they'll create more at home which means we'll need to defend far better and create more chances.
That's just silly mate.

The tie is finely poised. Yeah they'll be favourites to go through but it's not like we'll be rocking up as 33/1 outsiders to progress.

Jesus that's bad reading. Didn't realise it was as bad as that.

Perfect oppertunity to right the wrongs next week then, we are in effect 90 minutes from the promised land and riches that could set us up for years, what an opportunity for these players.

If we can keep it tight at the back then I’m quietly confident that we could snatch a goal over there, We need to test their keeper more from distance.

That's just silly mate.

The tie is finely poised. Yeah they'll be favourites to go through but it's not like we'll be rocking up as 33/1 outsiders to progress.
We're only still in the tie because their keeper had a howler. There was only one team scoring in that second half and a stroke of luck gave us a 2nd.

Second half performance suggests we may struggle next week.
Don't think we maintained the intensity that got us the goal at the start of the second half and felt we can pay better,on balance they're no mugs and it will require a Dortmund away performance to get through. We'll capable of it.

We're only still in the tie because their keeper had a howler. There was only one team scoring in that second half and a stroke of luck gave us a 2nd.
You're talking nonsense saying we have no chance plain and simple.

Still quite confident we can do this

Genuinely thought they would have been far more free flowing. seemed more methodical in their build up, confident passers but expected them to be more creative. Dont think we out smarted or out played. Rie is still very much alive and now its up to them to set the tone on the retunr leg.

In eindhoven id like to see us go more 4-3-3 with a defensive midfield and Kent and Matondo on the wings,
Not the ideal result but we're 100% still in the tie imo.

Back to basics for the gameplan:

1. Don't give away corners. That means less of them to defend and nullify something they'll target.

2. Plenty of pace in the team for counter attacks. Expect Matondo and Kent to feature for this reason.

3. Keep our shape and discipline. Make it tight. Stop them playing and frustrate them. They will want to come out guns blazing to score early and get their crowd up for it and make it difficult. Do not shit the bed if they score first.

4. Win the individual battles, be aggressive and show no respect.

5. Practice penalties. We don't want to be going into a shoot out if it gets to that point without practicing them after Seville. It is not a lottery, it is a skill and test of nerve.

Little and unlikely chance then. Does that wording make you feel better?
Make me feel better, seriously :D

You said we don't stand any chance on a message board which I said to you was nonsense. Maybe if we'd lost by a few goals you'd have had a case for that but we didn't.

Changing your wording makes me feel neither up nor down but makes you look a bit less silly.

Back to basics for the gameplan:

1. Don't give away corners. That means less of them to defend and nullify something they'll target.

2. Plenty of pace in the team for counter attacks. Expect Matondo and Kent to feature for this reason.

3. Keep our shape and discipline. Make it tight. Stop them playing and frustrate them. They will want to come out guns blazing to score early and get their crowd up for it and make it difficult. Do not shit the bed if they score first.

4. Win the individual battles, be aggressive and show no respect.

5. Practice penalties. We don't want to be going into a shoot out if it gets to that point without practicing them after Seville. It is not a lottery, it is a skill and test of nerve.
Ok

Still quite confident we can do this

Genuinely thought they would have been far more free flowing. seemed more methodical in their build up, confident passers but expected them to be more creative. Dont think we out smarted or out played. Rie is still very much alive and now its up to them to set the tone on the retunr leg.

In eindhoven id like to see us go more 4-3-3 with a defensive midfield and Kent and Matondo on the wings,
I wouldn't say I'm confident, but we indeed CAN do this.

Make me feel better, seriously :D

You said we don't stand any chance on a message board which I said to you was nonsense. Maybe if we'd lost by a few goals you'd have had a case for that but we didn't.

Changing your wording makes me feel neither up nor down but makes you look a bit less silly.
I don't think we have any chance next week. I don't really care who thinks what of that either on a message board or not.

If you've got a problem with that then tough shit tbh.

Back