Public Relations at our club

Coop22

What’s everyone’s views on our public relations?

We have been getting stick from all angles for a few years now.
The Scottish Sun, Daily Record, BBC, Fare etc, etc, etc are saying what they want and getting away with it.
We used to have decent PR but it seems to be really weak just now.

If any club on this planet should be getting stick it should be the unwashed but they have obviously dealt with this through Hollicom etc.
What exactly does Jim Traynor do? I assume this is within his remit and if so he’s making a proper arse of it.

We’re a shambles In all honesty.

I don’t think everything should be carried out in public, that said, the club itself has been completely silent on far too many occasions for my liking.

It gives off the impression that they are, for all intents and purposes, spineless.

We’re a shambles In all honesty.

I don’t think everything should be carried out in public, that said, the club itself has been completely silent on far too many occasions for my liking.

It gives off the impression that they are, for all intents and purposes, spineless.
Just another one wants to bad mouth our Club. I have no idea what Jim Traynor remit is but there seem to be a lot of PR guys on here, maybe you can tell me what it is he does?
I can only assume that he should be dealing with any press releases and I would hope dealing with any negative press.
If that’s the case he’s not doing very well
If a player, manager etc are not performing then they are replaced so why should Traynor not be the same

I’m not having a go at the club
my concern is that the club is not being protected when it comes to bad press and false accusations etc

The problem is Scottish media is under the control of Rangers haters. It has been for years. They do everything they can to sully our club.
Personally I think Jim Traynor is the best guy for a very difficult job. Lesser PR guys would be chewed up and spat out.

Rangers have never had decent PR.

Apart from a brief period under Holmes in the late 1980's when we threatened to grow some balls, we've had a succession of weak boards that simply don't understand the value of reputation management and brand awareness.

It has been terrible for Rangers.

The problem is Scottish media is under the control of Rangers haters. It has been for years. They do everything they can to sully our club.
Personally I think Jim Traynor is the best guy for a very difficult job. Lesser PR guys would be chewed up and spat out.
What does he actually do mate ? seriously

Tbh most folk don't know what Traynor's job actually entails. Not entirely sure myself

I think it’s a bit of a 2 sided coin with Traynor
He’s a man who doesn’t take any shit and has contacts in the media world, which helps us.
But he’s a man with many enemies in that same world. Which harms us.
Difficult job and I don’t envy him

I think they could be doing a whole lot more in terms protecting the club from bad press. How much of that can they control given the stranglehold there seems to be by the other side. I think we as fans we need to highlight the behaviour of other parties that want to have a pop at Rangers through all channels we have available. It worked in the case of that little troll Caitlynn Brown. I have no doubt that would have not made any news had we not have highlighted it to Nil by Mouth. Its a tough gig but they can definitely be doing more.

I think it’s a bit of a 2 sided coin with Traynor
He’s a man who doesn’t take any shit and has contacts in the media world, which helps us.
But he’s a man with many enemies in that same world. Which harms us.
Difficult job and I don’t envy him
So he's basically marmite?

I can only assume that he should be dealing with any press releases and I would hope dealing with any negative press.
If that’s the case he’s not doing very well
If a player, manager etc are not performing then they are replaced so why should Traynor not be the same

I’m not having a go at the club
my concern is that the club is not being protected when it comes to bad press and false accusations etc
So pray to tell me, how do you know what he is doing behind the scenes? He must be due to retire soon, apply for his job.

The Scottish Sun, Daily Record, BBC, Fare etc, etc, etc are saying what they want and getting away with it.

If any club on this planet should be getting stick it should be the unwashed but they have obviously dealt with this through Hollicom etc.
What exactly does Jim Traynor do? I assume this is within his remit and if so he’s making a proper arse of it.
We have not had a PR man at the club since the late Willie Allison..

If you think it's bad now, wait until Traynor goes.
Is he going? Maybe I’m off the mark mate
I’m just basing my comment on the the press we are getting.
Surely we can be doing better or exposing the anti Rangers reporters etc

Just another one wants to bad mouth our Club. I have no idea what Jim Traynor remit is but there seem to be a lot of PR guys on here, maybe you can tell me what it is he does?
I think the reality of the situation is the bad PR we get goes above and beyond influence from football clubs. There are other factors at work that no PR guru can out fox.

no, because I would eat marmite and I wouldn’t or couldn’t eat Traynor :p

but yeah that’s the kind of analogy that makes sense. He is a very divisive man, but I think he’s doing What he can.
He comes across as very self-assured, I like that in a person

Is he going? Maybe I’m off the mark mate
I’m just basing my comment on the the press we are getting.
Surely we can be doing better or exposing the anti Rangers reporters etc

I never said that.

But presuming he is not Lord Of Transylvania he won't live forever and will be replaced at some point.

I think the reality of the situation is the bad PR we get goes above and beyond influence from football clubs. There are other factors at work that no PR guru can out fox.
Personally speaking, I would hire a full-time litigation Solicitor and go after every single person that wrote or said lies about us, The Solicitor and legal Secretary would be about 75K a year, money well spent. Maybe Club 1872 could take this up

Personally speaking, I would hire a full-time litigation Solicitor and go after every single person that wrote or said lies about us, The Solicitor and legal Secretary would be about 75K a year, money well spent. Maybe Club 1872 could take this up

To use an analogy again used previously above, I will crack the jokes!

It's dreadful in just about every aspect.

I think sometimes that the support really doesn't help the club at times but overall it just seems like we are always the ones being singled out, misrepresented, lied about.

Seems like it's been terrible for about 20 years now.

Sometimes I wish the club would do so much more to try and get the media on our side.
I know that this is not what people want to see but I think even fighting fire with fire just leads to more fire.
The mentally challengeds on the other hand have a complete media love-in on the go and it's sickening to see.

Then sometimes you see total jackasses with that banner before the Feyenoord game and you think if our own fans don't give a f*ck about the clubs image and brand then we are pretty much f*cked.

That being said, the mentally challengeds seem to get free pass after free pass to go anywhere and behave any way they like and it's all swept away.

If you think this current board is going to replace him with a super-dooper rottweiler who will take the Scottish media head on, best of luck to you.

Understand, but when he called us all thugs and deserved what we got from the Osasuna trip years ago, I would just like someone that would fight our corner fair and square, he don't really give a sh*t about us.

That's essentially what Celtic have in their Legal Departmentm - any excuse to harass and silence is taken up and pursued to the bitter end.

Since 2012 we have been treated like dog shite, they enjoyed putting the boot in so much that they cant stop themselves even at the moment when all it shows is their burning, petty hatred for a football club. Positions in high places being foreseen by rabid mentally challengeds desperate to do anything that'll harm the club, even so much to actually go out their way. Modern day Scotland opitimized. All hatred towards Rangers is acceptable and dont even dare say anything bad about sweep sweep fc, agendas aren't interested.

Tbh most folk don't know what Traynor's job actually entails. Not entirely sure myself

Traynor does what the Club tells him to do. He is no longer employed directly by the Club, his firm is just another sub-contractor. If nobody tells him to respond to a story or allegation, or nobody asks him for advice on how the Club should react, then he will do nothing. He, effectively, does what he's told to do or offers advice if he's asked. Reactive rather than proactive in effect.

I never said that.

But presuming he is not Lord Of Transylvania he won't live forever and will be replaced at some point.
Do you agree that we could be doing a lot better with PR
The bad press has been relentless for some time
If the unwashed can have a company protecting them from what should be headline news then surely we can do better
If it’s his responsibility he’s got to do better
Clearly I’m basing this on what comes out into the public domain
Perhaps he’s doing great stuff behind the scenes that is not in the public domain
Maybe someone can shed some light on what he actually does

if I’m off the mark I’ll gladly eat my word as I only want better PR for the club

What does he actually do mate ? seriously
He's a divisive figure on FF. Posters who don't think he has worth to the club won't be persuaded to think differently easily. I think he's an asset. He battles against huge hostility aimed at Rangers. A level of hatred that ordinary PR consultants would buckle under.
I don't have knowledge of his remit to tell you exactly what he does. I base my opinion of him as an asset on his years of Scottish media experience, and his ability to handle trouble makers.

Traynor does what the Club tells him to do. He is no longer employed directly by the Club, his firm is just another sub-contractor. If nobody tells him to respond to a story or allegation, or nobody asks him for advice on how the Club should react, then he will do nothing. He, effectively, does what he's told to do or offers advice if he's asked. Reactive rather than proactive in effect.
Cheers, I've genuinely no clue what he does.

Newspapers and news outlets need headlines, commentators need social media engagement, and so they make bold statements to generate them them. Whether they are good/bad or indifferent about rangers, if the club were responding to every single negative bit of media i would be thoroughly embarrassed.
Tit for tat battles are for the playground. We are Rangers. Stuff that is slanderous or libellous absolutely take the necessary legal action. Somebody who played the game 15years ago, and is desperately trying to stay relevant shares a negative opinion.. who cares. why feed it.

Why are you asking the question? Big game tonight, why not ask something about that?
I assume you are not fed up with the bad press then?
I’m asking the question to see if other supporters are concerned about our PR

I think it could be better

don’t you want better for the club?

Ironically many of the most vocal PR experts vehemently back the very thing that causes us our worst press.

The problem is that we seem to be fire fighting all the time either because of fan action, ref/official decisions, anti rangers bias by other organisations.
The "bridge building" phrase actually needs us to have something others , outside our club, want to be part of but we are a long way from that.
Too many organisations want to have their foot on our throat and until we have a pro active PR dept highlighting the good etc we will struggle.
Don't want comparisons but noticed sky yesterday strapplining the scum £10k donation to Children's hospital. Us?

Take a leaf out of Lieswell book and remove media accreditation from any outlet that prints lies for starters. The message would soon filter through.

Back