Public Relations at our club

Here is my take, in any organisation you have people who are the focal point, by their position or their status.

This is my take on them in relation to PR

Dave King - Beyond reproach for me, the guy has done wonders for us. But, he clearly does not want to engage with the media unless it is his choosing, and him being resident the majority of the time in SA means his PR impact is minimal on a day to day working basis.

Stewart Robertson - Sorry, but for me this guy is a waste of space. Uninspiring when speaking, seems to at best placate issues rather than really force our clubs position. At best he is vanilla, but in all honestly I have never been impressed by him. That may be the clubs fault how they structure that position. But any other CEO type in any other company seems to have more clout than him.

Traynor - In all fairness, I am not sure what he does or doesnt do. All I know is that the prevalence of damaging stories to us in the media doesnt appear to be on the wane. That is the key role of a PR guy, so at best jury is out for me.

Gerrard - Masterstroke. The one bright point in the PR topic.

The captain - Not talking about Tav as a player, but as a captain. Does he better the image of the club? Does he represent us with distinction off the field? It is the first time I have asked myself these questions. My gut reaction is he doesnt.

C1872 - Pleased that they are becoming more and more involved with high profile issues facing the club. I feel they could do more and hope to see them continually challenge where required.

Overall, not great reading. Just my take.

Defending the Club and promoting the Club to me are two different things.We could do with a co ordinated approach to dealing with negative treatm ent we get from the media,FARE and all the usual suspects.it seems a bit piecemeal.
I Think we should havea pro active legal team to deal with these people,let them know that they better have their facts correct when they try and defame or slander the Club.
On the other hand we could use a PR team to get the message out about all the good works done by the Club.
Finally we should encourage any high profile Celebreties to promote us when they can.
That old duffer ROD Stewart Is always banging on about them at every opportunity.

No matter how good our PR is, you cannot force the media to make use of your releases.
Traynor issues a release.
Media reaction, thanks Jim.
Never used or seen again.
I keep seeing comments such as we should be doing more or we should be telling them like it is.
I never see an explanation as to how the problem of them ignoring us, is got round.
Didn't Sir Duped start his own newspaper at one time?

I have for some time believed that there is something that the fans don't know and the club can't say. It is as if they are under a gagging order. At first dignified silence seemed ok and in line with the clubs way of doing things. What I cannot understand is why the silence now?
The tidal wave of political, media and justiciary anti Ranger,s club and supporters, lies, comments and court cases, Fare, UEFA go without reply and is overwhelming. Not a day goes by without at least one if not all, comments, court cases that are detrimental to us as supporters or the club we support.
I have thought that there must come a point when the club explodes onto the scene with lawyers issuing writs all over the place. Sadly, I can't see it happening. The club should be asked why this is the way it is?
Could the 5 way agreement have something to do with it? Could the 3 bears takeover include a gag?

Personally I would stop giving any of the media access to anyone senior in Rangers. If they want interviews they have to earn that right by being fair & balanced, asking proper questions, not what do you think of Cellicks new signing shit, proper footballing questions.
Once agreed Manager / players start attending press conferences, but first time anyone asks anything stupid they get up & leave, leaving the assembled press pack to savage the idiot who asked the question, they all suffer for one idiots shortcomings.

Where we are contractually obliged to give interviews just wheel out someone who can say “Sorry don’t know about that” or “Can’t comment as it is down to the manager”.
Basically play fair with us we will reciprocate.

I have for some time believed that there is something that the fans don't know and the club can't say. It is as if they are under a gagging order. At first dignified silence seemed ok and in line with the clubs way of doing things. What I cannot understand is why the silence now?
The tidal wave of political, media and justiciary anti Ranger,s club and supporters, lies, comments and court cases, Fare, UEFA go without reply and is overwhelming. Not a day goes by without at least one if not all, comments, court cases that are detrimental to us as supporters or the club we support.
I have thought that there must come a point when the club explodes onto the scene with lawyers issuing writs all over the place. Sadly, I can't see it happening. The club should be asked why this is the way it is?
Could the 5 way agreement have something to do with it? Could the 3 bears takeover include a gag?

Or the club is fighting all sorts of court cases at the moment and don't have the cash to start lots of other court cases.

Or the club is fighting all sorts of court cases at the moment and don't have the cash to start lots of other court cases.
I would agree with you but it doesn't cost much to issue a hard hitting, threatening statement. Do you think any other body under attack like we are, would stay silent? There must be a reason why they are not retaliating, it has gone on for some time and is relentless. The people at the club must know about it all and still silence. Why?

We have lots of positive PR through our official channels etc. I think people read stuff in the papers and hear stuff on the radio they don’t like and decide our PR is terrible. That medium of the press is a dying breed now and almost a complete irrelevance. The only way I actually hear about any of that stuff is that people post it on here.

Yes we can probably do better. Always room for improvement but people really need to stop thinking they know everything about it just because a few negative story’s appear in a failing newspaper.

Personally speaking, I would hire a full-time litigation Solicitor and go after every single person that wrote or said lies about us, The Solicitor and legal Secretary would be about 75K a year, money well spent. Maybe Club 1872 could take this up

That would be a "project" worth supporting.

I have been ranting about this is issue on here and among fellow bears in direct conversations for years and it’s still the same old story, virtually nothing is being done to at the very least show we are a club who sticks up for itself and it’s lifeblood and won’t be pushed around without consequences.

The PR operation is woefully inadequate and the only real concrete conclusions to draw is that the situation has been like this for a very long time and got progressively worse and the club has done very little you could say that is effective or at least proving we have some balls and fight in the club.

It is shameful, sick, sinister and completely unacceptable but accept it we are going to have to because it’s been going on for years and it’s going to continue, only those in the boardroom KNOW why things are the way they are and there’s definitely something WE are not being told.

It’s clear the issue is still not a top priority for the support because if it were our sheer weight of number could and would have leveraged it’s considerable muscle for the implementation of a better and more effective strategy.

I have always maintained you only work with and cooperate with those who play fair and have proved they are not part of the anti Rangers agenda but with so many out there who are exactly that it’s disgusting to see various media outlets and people swanning about and still being entertained by the club while supporters have to suck it up continually.

The BBC Scotland stance has been the only sign of any sort of fight back but it’s not enough, we are being treated like mugs.

To be fair we tried it when the new board took over and Chris or David were hounded out almost immediately.

We have always been weak on this front, and unless we are on the front foot we are always too slow to react.

As far as Traynor goes, he's stealing a wage.

We’re a shambles In all honesty.

I don’t think everything should be carried out in public, that said, the club itself has been completely silent on far too many occasions for my liking.

It gives off the impression that they are, for all intents and purposes, spineless.

I'm astounded that people are trusting the club to come down hard on FARE. Really can't see it. Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but writing to UEFA and FARE better not be the end of it.

He clearly knows media/PR inside out but he's neither reactive or pro-active. That lot would be all over FARE if that tweet was issued about them - we leave it to a fans group to reply.

What’s everyone’s views on our public relations?

We have been getting stick from all angles for a few years now.
The Scottish Sun, Daily Record, BBC, Fare etc, etc, etc are saying what they want and getting away with it.
We used to have decent PR but it seems to be really weak just now.

If any club on this planet should be getting stick it should be the unwashed but they have obviously dealt with this through Hollicom etc.
What exactly does Jim Traynor do? I assume this is within his remit and if so he’s making a proper arse of it.
I didn’t know we had any

He clearly knows media/PR inside out but he's neither reactive or pro-active. That lot would be all over FARE if that tweet was issued about them - we leave it to a fans group to reply.

Club1872 have stated that it is the Club who will take it up with FARE and UEFA. Its not been left to Club1872 to do so.

The level of hatred towards our club is so deep that it is a near impossible task to display good public relations. Most media outlets are populated with people who go out of their way to find fault and if there is no basis for doing so, a negative story is invented. In the same way as others, I am uncertain on the details of Traynor’s remit but the belief that replacing him would make much difference seems both optimistic and naive.

Back