Pubs in Carlisle Closed Until 17:00 on Saturday?

Every pub? Sounds doubtful. Not that I'd go down anyway. Obviously folk could check with pubs if they're going. Would they not be booking a table anyway?

Someone who was perhaps heading down with a group of his pals who had booked into a certain pub in Carlisle just messaged me to say that pubs are shut until 17:00.

That enough for you?
That's enough for me and to be honest, it's no surprise.

Do you need to go over the border, some of the towns in that part of scotland arent under restrictions are they?

The borders or Dumfries and galloway

I have no idea if it is or not. However who could blame the pubs, this additional hassle that has been put on them, hundreds of out of towners heading to it's pubs, national and local governments have been vocal about it. This adds to heightened tension across both sets of fans, the pubs worrying if it could get out of hand, and local authorities closely monitoring the pubs ensuring rules are being followed, if a few people get carried away pubs could receive huge fines and/or have to close which would hugely damage their livelihoods.

None of this even mentions the amount of people who haven't booked anywhere but are going to chance it.

People are going to be left angry about not getting in somewhere, has disaster written all over it.

That's enough for me and to be honest, it's no surprise.

Do you need to go over the border, some of the towns in that part of scotland arent under restrictions are they?

The borders or Dumfries and galloway
They can't serve drink indoors though as far as I know, so going south of the border is the only option if you want to watch the game IN a pub.

I've been told that police are expecting 30k people here (Carlisle) to watch on Saturday - admittedly I got told by my barber, who may be talking shite.

I have no idea if it is or not. However who could blame the pubs, this additional hassle that has been put on them, hundreds of out of towners heading to it's pubs, national and local governments have been vocal about it. This adds to heightened tension across both sets of fans, the pubs worrying if it could get out of hand, and local authorities closely monitoring the pubs ensuring rules are being followed, if a few people get carried away pubs could receive huge fines and/or have to close which would hugely damage their livelihoods.

None of this even mentions the amount of people who haven't booked anywhere but are going to chance it.

People are going to be left angry about not getting in somewhere, has disaster written all over it.
This match brings out the worst of selfish behaviour from people. There are people who assume it is almost a human right to be able to get swallied for hours before the game and then disappear into the pub for hours afterwards.

Why would you travel down to Carlisle to watch the game, without sound. If I was that desperate to watch it with mates, I’d buy a projector (can get decent ones for £70 these days off amazon) and beam it outside from a fire stick with now tv loaded on.

Would give you the option for future games too.

On Botchergate now and just spoke to me mate who runs Lloyd’s. Caledonian ain’t opening all day but other than that nothing else.

This match brings out the worst of selfish behaviour from people. There are people who assume it is almost a human right to be able to get swallied for hours before the game and then disappear into the pub for hours afterwards.
Selfish behaviour? Because some like a swally with their mates pre match and post match and get the party songs on.

count me in the selfish category on Saturday then

Why would you travel down to Carlisle to watch the game, without sound. If I was that desperate to watch it with mates, I’d buy a projector (can get decent ones for £70 these days off amazon) and beam it outside from a fire stick with now tv loaded on.

I didn’t think England had a ban on sound inside pubs. I thought it was only up here

Agree with all of that. However, if pubs across Scotland, many of whom had spent significant sums to be COVID compliant and which data confirms did not contribute substantially to the current rise in 'cases', had been allowed to remain open, this wouldn't have been an issue. If it kicks off over the weekend, with people travelling to see the match, Sturgeon will be quick to point the finger of blame. In reality, if she wants someone to blame, she should be looking in the mirror.

I didn’t think England had a ban on sound inside pubs. I thought it was only up here
That’s right - sound is allowed in England. Whether the pub will be happy turning the sound up to attract lots of drunken fans who will still have to social distance is another matter

poofter-eh-well-you-wont-catch-me-with-my-trousers-down.jpg

Reactions: SGL
Agree with all of that. However, if pubs across Scotland, many of whom had spent significant sums to be COVID compliant and which data confirms did not contribute substantially to the current rise in 'cases', had been allowed to remain open, this wouldn't have been an issue. If it kicks off over the weekend, with people travelling to see the match, Sturgeon will be quick to point the finger of blame. In reality, if she wants someone to blame, she should be looking in the mirror.
Agree totally. Makes much more sense to spread people around as many different places as possible

I agree about travelling for the game (that it's unnecessary) , but the sound would be on. Scotland is the only country in the world to have banned music and sound on tvs in pubs

Back