Pubs in Carlisle Closed Until 17:00 on Saturday?

Big D

I have no idea if it is or not. However who could blame the pubs, this additional hassle that has been put on them, hundreds of out of towners heading to it's pubs, national and local governments have been vocal about it. This adds to heightened tension across both sets of fans, the pubs worrying if it could get out of hand, and local authorities closely monitoring the pubs ensuring rules are being followed, if a few people get carried away pubs could receive huge fines and/or have to close which would hugely damage their livelihoods.

None of this even mentions the amount of people who haven't booked anywhere but are going to chance it.

People are going to be left angry about not getting in somewhere, has disaster written all over it.
Agree with all of that. However, if pubs across Scotland, many of whom had spent significant sums to be COVID compliant and which data confirms did not contribute substantially to the current rise in 'cases', had been allowed to remain open, this wouldn't have been an issue. If it kicks off over the weekend, with people travelling to see the match, Sturgeon will be quick to point the finger of blame. In reality, if she wants someone to blame, she should be looking in the mirror.

Fife flyer

I didn’t think England had a ban on sound inside pubs. I thought it was only up here
That’s right - sound is allowed in England. Whether the pub will be happy turning the sound up to attract lots of drunken fans who will still have to social distance is another matter

Desert Loyal

This match brings out the worst of selfish behaviour from people. There are people who assume it is almost a human right to be able to get swallied for hours before the game and then disappear into the pub for hours afterwards.

Reactions: SGL

Fife flyer

Agree with all of that. However, if pubs across Scotland, many of whom had spent significant sums to be COVID compliant and which data confirms did not contribute substantially to the current rise in 'cases', had been allowed to remain open, this wouldn't have been an issue. If it kicks off over the weekend, with people travelling to see the match, Sturgeon will be quick to point the finger of blame. In reality, if she wants someone to blame, she should be looking in the mirror.
Agree totally. Makes much more sense to spread people around as many different places as possible

Brahim Hemdani's Granny

Why would you travel down to Carlisle to watch the game, without sound. If I was that desperate to watch it with mates, I’d buy a projector (can get decent ones for £70 these days off amazon) and beam it outside from a fire stick with now tv loaded on.

Would give you the option for future games too.
I agree about travelling for the game (that it's unnecessary) , but the sound would be on. Scotland is the only country in the world to have banned music and sound on tvs in pubs

bleau

been down Cumbria , Northumberland all week never heard anything other than Boris might do a nippy and shut the pubs , Scottish football is an irrelevance to most down here

Alex Venters

I've watched one OF game on my own in over 43 years of live TV coverage and it was torture, fucking torture (they equalised in injury time). I've attended every game at Ibrox and most at Parkhead and Hampden, those I didn't I watched in local Rangers pubs.
This Saturday it'll be me and my son, with the wife banished with the grandkids.

It'll be different, that's for sure.

Wazza

Out of interest, where is likely to be showing the game in Carlisle if they are indeed open?

Mate who runs one of main pubs on Botchergate said he thinks only Walkabout will be on there. Personally I would be surprised if they did, would have thought they could get full just by advertising the Merseyside Derby and they do bookings without Covid anyway. To be fair it does have a poster on their Facebook advertising it as part of a great weekend of Sport and he would know much better than me.

Anyone going Penrith for the day?!

Slim Jim

BBC Scotland news have just stated that a “Rangers” bar in Blackpool will be closed on Saturday.

derBovril

A lot of talk in Carlisle about none of the pubs showing it at all. Don't know if the police have maybe requested this?

migsy323

I was listening to CFM on the radio earlier. . They broadcast from Carlisle. They were asking a police inspector about it and he said that Scottish fans would be welcome in the pubs but no more than a group of six

RabSpackman

Selfish behaviour? Because some like a swally with their mates pre match and post match and get the party songs on.

count me in the selfish category on Saturday then

I’m all for a swally and belting out a few songs with my mates but when you get people disappearing from early Saturday morning until Sunday evening then folk are taking the piss... and I know a good few who have done it.

DoubleWhopper

Official Ticketer
No good can come of this Carlisle thing. Only negative headlines.

I hope they don’t show the game there. If anyone travelled and was left disappointed I’d suggest they deserve the wasted journey.

Just stay at home ffs.

YorkshireBlue

been down Cumbria , Northumberland all week never heard anything other than Boris might do a nippy and shut the pubs , Scottish football is an irrelevance to most down here

Correct answer.

Everton v Liverpool will be on anyway.

Everyone travelling down will be nailing it back onto the M6 trying to get as north as possible by 1230 to pick up 810MW.

change consent