Punishment for diving?

What’s the suitable punishment for a dive?

• Yellow card

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Red card

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Sin binned for x minutes

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • 1 game ban

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • 2 game ban

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • 3 game ban

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • 4 game ban

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 5 game ban

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Ban plus apology next press conference

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

The Pink Panther

It’s getting ridiculous and I don’t think a yellow card is a suitable deterrent either.

I think we sin bin these players for 30 minutes and have them standing at the side of the pitch and not the bench. After 60 mins the team just goes down to 10 men.

The games getting ugly with cheating. Diving bastards.

I agree with something like this for diving and ideally all the other cheating that goes on, time-wasting accounts for about 30% of the game. We need to increase the amount of time the ball's actually in play.

I voted Red Card, as it really grips my shit!

I realise that it is all kind of arbitrary at the moment, and usually down to one man’s opinion from literally one point of view.

However, VAR is on the way, and when that becomes “live”, there should be absolutely no hiding place for on the field cheats!

red card minimum, how you can get a 2 match ban if the ref doesn't book you but only a yellow duribg the game is beyond me

You really need to make clear what a dive is, if there's contact its not a dive doesn't need to be a foul but it's not a dive
Yellow card if it's a blatant dive

2 game for me.

But the biggest issue is the amount of ex players and journalists that justify diving because there was the slightest of contact.

I realise that it is all kind of arbitrary at the moment, and usually down to one man’s opinion from literally one point of view.

However, VAR is on the way, and when that becomes “live”, there should be absolutely no hiding place for on the field cheats!
Hope VAR will show up cheating refs as well, although the ref might just refuse to use it

Red card, punishes his teammates and pisses them off, a ban for x amount of games, they just replace them and doesnt effect the team as much as a red would.

Yellow card for me. The refs get enough decisions wrong without sending someone off for what they think has been a dive!

Diving should be a retrospective punishment and it should be a long-ish ban. 5 games would be good and you're labelled a cheat.

Including referees?

Sadly some of them are corrupt also.

I'd say a yellow card for the offence plus a 1 match ban.

Said in another thread...if in box a penalty to opposing team. Would cut the sh1te out within 2 - 3 incidents
Also if proven a dive which resluted in penalty for a team that won a game score should be reveresed. Whats the point in a retrospective 2 game ban for diving if team has 3 points. Difference between winning a league or being relegated

What’s worse?

A dive or taking one for the team when the opposition is on a break?

One is roundly applauded one is roundly condemned, both are cheating.

Before we ever start talking about appropriate punishments we need to be sure whether or not it actually was a dive !
For that we really need to have VAR in place because punishments are often meted out on the basis of a biased referee's opinion ! That needs to change and it needs to be changed during the game and not afterwards as, by that time, the game is finished and the points awarded accordingly.

With VAR in place you have sorted out 99% of the issue, diving will cease if forwards are aware that their action is being viewed on VAR. Equally, defenders will think twice about what tackle they put in on the basis they be despatched for an early bath.

All of this of course depends upon the VAR review team and that it is not based at either the Paedodome or the Hamdump ! All League teams need to be agreed on the make up of said team !

It’s getting ridiculous and I don’t think a yellow card is a suitable deterrent either.

I think we sin bin these players for 30 minutes and have them standing at the side of the pitch and not the bench. After 60 mins the team just goes down to 10 men.

The games getting ugly with cheating. Diving bastards.
Football is a British sport.
It should be a sport based on gentlemanly conduct. Seriously.
Unsporting behaviour should see a 10 minute sin bin.
Diving, claiming corners and throw ins when it's not yours.
The lot.
Take the onus off the refs with some of these things.

What’s worse?

A dive or taking one for the team when the opposition is on a break?

One is roundly applauded one is roundly condemned, both are cheating.

Comparing apples and pears mate. Taking one for the team you know you are getting caught: hence one for the team.
Diving is trying to be sleekit. Trying to get an advantage and also get away with it. What makes it even worse is the team you cheat may get reduced to 10.
I don't know why you think they are the same.

Diving is a grey area and very subjective.

1. Stone wall penalty

2. Going down “easy” but a penalty nevertheless

3. Going down “easy” with contact, but not enough to merit a penalty

4. Going down with minimal/no contact (genuine loss of balance or pre empting/riding a challenge that wasn’t as full on as expected)

5. Pure and outrageous diving

2 - 5 above could be subject to punishment for “diving” in many cases wrongly.

Pure and obvious dives (if the referees are reliable/honest/good enough) should get hammered.

Morelos gets punished for 2-5 (perhaps due to reputation) whilst a livi/Hamilton/St Johnstone striker gets the benefit of doubt.

Until we get decent referees in Scotland, no rule change will make any difference.

The games got ugly with diving and the way that players take a foul. Considering how often you see a 50/50 challege resulting in a foul or a 6'4 sh#t brick house player taking a tumble at the slightest of touches rolling around as if hes been shot. The Northen Ireland game tonight... big Lafferty raises his leg to try and control the ball, the Belarus lad goes down holding his arm/shoulder and wins a foul when contact wasnt even close to being made. Straight red for any form on stimulation

Should start with a booking for first time offences and then escalate after, bans etc. It’s getting ridiculous now and sadly becoming part of the game.

A dive with no contact should be a red card and you miss the next game against the same opponents.

Kilmarrnock and Aberdeen are the worst teams i have seen for diving, anywhere on park their players get body in front of opponent initiate contact then dive kills the game

Doesnt help when Mclean and Clancy enable them to do so

If the referee catches it, or television evidence is clear then a 2 game ban should be handed out.

The difficult area is where television evidence isn’t clear, even when it is there is a bit of grey area around players going down too easily - I could swear blind that someone dived but someone else would see a foul.

FIFA, UEFA, SFPL or whatever body you care to name making a start by hammering the really obvious ones and having a rule implemented in time for the next season would be a start of something being tried for once though.

A sin bin would never work because the refs would send players to the sin bin and what happens then if the replays show that the player never dived? At least if the refs book players for diving it can be rescinded on appeal.

I voted yellow card. It's hard to distinguish it from any other form of cheating to me.

That said, I think it could be interesting if the punishment was fit to the crime, as happens with other fouls.

For example: .

- dive which could result in a red for the opponent = red card
- any other dive = yellow card
- dive should result in a free kick / penalty to the opposition at their choice based 1) where it happened or 2) the equivalent position on the park in the other half.

That would add a bit of proportion to the punishment, but clearly would be difficult to apply in practice.

Should hit them where it hurts start with a dock in pay start with 1 months fine then increase the amount each time caught diving

Should hit them where it hurts start with a dock in pay start with 1 months fine then increase the amount each time caught diving
I’ve never been in favour of fines, because the fine could, in some cases in Scotland, affect the family of the accused by inhibiting his ability to pay the monthly bills. Different in the EPL and English Championship, where players are paid a king’s ransom.

I’ve never been in favour of fines, because the fine could, in some cases in Scotland, affect the family of the accused by inhibiting his ability to pay the monthly bills. Different in the EPL and English Championship, where players are paid a king’s ransom.
You would hope player's on incomes that this would affect their family income the threat would be enough not to do it, but the players that continually dive this maybe be the only thing that stops this. With this being a big problem throughout world football you would hope the governing bodies would try and put a stop to this but it's been going on for so long maybe it will prove difficult

Back