Punishments for players should be harsher when they inflict serious injury on an opponent

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Says Mark Bosnich. Thoughts?

I noticed Carragher was saying last night that these things happen it’s a part of football and with Pickford it’s likely a bad mistake from a player whose making been making them regularly over the last year. Now if we’re talking about something like scumbag Simpson on Durrant or Keane on Haaland I can see there being a case for harsher punishment because there’s no question these ‘tackles’ were intended to maim (Keane even went on to admit as much). But if it’s just a shite or poorly timed tackle that results in the injury should the punishment still be more severe due to the outcome? I know there’s still a grey area where you can say “well how do you know Pickford wasn’t intending to cause harm” and I suppose that’s where it becomes more about personal judgment and it goes back to the same problem with penalties being awarded via VAR.

I must admit I think the hoopla surrounding the whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous now, you’d think this was the first time a player had ever had an ACL injury or been out for a lengthy time as the result of a bad tackle. Let’s be honest if it’s a lesser player at a smaller club this is being forgotten about and folk are moving on a lot quicker, even if the injury potentially resulted in a significant increase in the chances of another club being relegated for instance.

It's total nonsense. Anyone who has that opinion imo, shouldn't be allowed on the TV to share it. It's utter moronic.

That French journalist who is on the Champions League goal show said Pickford should be banned for as long as Van Dijk is out. What kind of opinion is that ffs. Where would you draw the line for that kind of thing?

Brighton have just signed Danny Welbeck, a known injury prone cripple in the footballing world, if a defender tackled him and Welbeck got injured and was out for 6 months is that fair on the defender?

I feel the whole outrage is because it's Van Dijk, if this was some West Ham or Burnley centre half, no one would be care by now.

Getting banned for the same amount of time as someone's injury is nonsense and everyone knows it. Plus, how can you even judge based on intent - practically it doesn't work as it's purely subjective.

I think it was a horrendous tackle by the way, I'm not denying that fact but some of the shite that's getting spouted is getting beyond a joke.

Nonsense, imagine Salah or somebody like that accidentally stepped on someone’s toe at a set piece and broke it, then got suspended for it until the guy was back from injury

Intent is different to the result. What if the player isnt injured? Should you not be banned? Fairly innocuous tackles can result in long injuries.

Im all for really bad tackles getting a slightly longer ban but ideas like this dont work. Pickford shouldve been sent off on Saturday for the tackle though, keepers generally get away with too much. It was a horrendous attempt at a tackle.

It's total nonsense. Anyone who has that opinion imo, shouldn't be allowed on the TV to share it. It's utter moronic.

That French journalist who is on the Champions League goal show said Pickford should be banned for as long as Van Dijk is out. What kind of opinion is that ffs. Where would you draw the line for that kind of thing?

Brighton have just signed Danny Welbeck, a known injury prone cripple in the footballing world, if a defender tackled him and Welbeck got injured and was out for 6 months is that fair on the defender?

I feel the whole outrage is because it's Van Dijk, if this was some West Ham or Burnley centre half, no one would be care by now.
Bang on with the last paragraph as well.

Simpson’s on Durrant was an assault,100% deliberate all the evidence was caught live on camera, I might be wrong but I don’t think he even got booked.

It wasnt a penalty because they had judged Liverpool to be offside so the ball was dead before the tackle took place.

I believe that’s what it was. Even then it should have still resulted in a red card for Pickford. VAR isn’t as bad as some make out though, it’s worked fairly well in Spain, it’s just the EPL made it a nightmare because they’re essentially using it to referee entire games.

Carra was lucky he was out with the safety of the studio or Souey would have kicked his lady's front bottom in :))

The media outrage is only because of who has been injured. One of the EPLs media darlings

Its a bit nuts to suggest they are banned as long as the injury is for, but that tackle from Pickford was f*king mental and he should have the book thrown at him. Referee needs a talking to for not even cautioning him.

It wasnt a penalty because they had judged Liverpool to be offside so the ball was dead before the tackle took place.
Ahh I see he should have still been red carded it’s all right playing to the passage of play ends but not when there is serious injury like what happened ,does that mean you can banjo someone and get away with I wouldn’t think so.

All about opinion. Don't think Pickford set out to cause VVD an injury he is looking at the ball. VAR were having a look for a penalty but as he was offside that was the end of it. The retrospective thing is nonsense, but the likes of Simpson/Keane deserved a lengthy ban as the intent was clear to see.
My daughter lives in Oz and I've watched Bosnich on TV there as a pundit. Talks a load of drivel usually but held in high esteem as he played in the top league in England and for his country.
In Rugby League and Aussie rules they can get put on report by the ref and it is examined by a panel who dish out the bans as they see fit on the basis of what they see, Could be something to bear in mind.

All about opinion. Don't think Pickford set out to cause VVD an injury he is looking at the ball. VAR were having a look for a penalty but as he was offside that was the end of it. The retrospective thing is nonsense, but the likes of Simpson/Keane deserved a lengthy ban as the intent was clear to see.
My daughter lives in Oz and I've watched Bosnich on TV there as a pundit. Talks a load of drivel usually but held in high esteem as he played in the top league in England and for his country.
In Rugby League and Aussie rules they can get put on report by the ref and it is examined by a panel who dish out the bans as they see fit on the basis of what they see, Could be something to bear in mind.
Hes went flying in knee height with both feet off the ground. It doesnt matter what hes looking at. Do it in the centre circle and nobody bats an eyelid when its a red card.

Outfield players are sent off for a lot less.

Mark Bosnich is a fat special needs case.

some of the worst injuries I’ve seen are freak incidents from innocuous clashes, the Larrson leg break v Lyon a classic example.

its going to happen, as long as it’s not intentional we need to all get on with it best we can.

Somebody pointed out on twitter that if those rules were in Van Dijk wouldnt have been playing at the weekend. He injured Deulofeu in March and Deulofeu isnt back yet.

Simpson’s on Durrant was an assault,100% deliberate all the evidence was caught live on camera, I might be wrong but I don’t think he even got booked.

He was booked. Louie Thow was the referee.

That he was booked meant the SFA couldn't take any further action. (Who's zooming who?)

The greatest Scottish talent since Baxter and dismantled in an instant.

If Bosnich is a bam, I'm going to be banned for really saying what I think about some on this thread.

There are a lot of factors that determine how long a player will be out for with an injury, including in many cases the skill of their surgeon. Far too many variables in my view to link a player's punishment to the length of time the opponent is out for.

For a long while a thought i've had is that the culprit should be banned until the injured party returns to playing.

Somebody pointed out on twitter that if those rules were in Van Dijk wouldnt have been playing at the weekend. He injured Deulofeu in March and Deulofeu isnt back yet.

Mertens was really lucky he wasn’t seriously injured by the tackle below. I have major doubts the same folk calling for lengthy bans now were looking for VVD to be heavily punished for this, and even then it shows how daft it is to suggest players only receive a harsher punishment in the event the opponent is seriously injured. I mean lesser challenges have resulted in more serious injury.

I get the principal and kinda agree if someone has intentionally gone out to inure someone

but that is very difficult to prove

Very hard to quantify, but I think severe punishments are needed for incidents like Pickford and Van Dijk as the goalie was completely out of control.

Hes went flying in knee height with both feet off the ground. It doesnt matter what hes looking at. Do it in the centre circle and nobody bats an eyelid when its a red card.

Outfield players are sent off for a lot less.
I saw this as an accident. Goalkeepers do this every game. Pickford came out to block a shot and spread himself in the Schmeichel ‘star’ jump style. He didn’t catch VVD with his boot. It was the inside of his thigh that caught VVD just above the knee and caused the knee to twist. I have seen many players get this injury when simply turning round with nobody near them. Remember Steven Naismith doing it at Pittodrie in 2011.

Nonsense, imagine Salah or somebody like that accidentally stepped on someone’s toe at a set piece and broke it, then got suspended for it until the guy was back from injury
Exactly. And what if the injured player doesn't come back or does but its next season.

I saw this as an accident. Goalkeepers do this every game. Pickford came out to block a shot and spread himself in the Schmeichel ‘star’ jump style. He didn’t catch VVD with his boot. It was the inside of his thigh that caught VVD just above the knee and caused the knee to twist. I have seen many players get this injury when simply turning round with nobody near them. Remember Steven Naismith doing it at Pittodrie in 2011.

The rules dont mention that it has to be intentional. It wasnt a star jump either.

Have a look at where hes caught him. Hes both feet off the ground as hes running forward. Pickfords practically horizontal when hes caught him.

Pickford should be facing a 10 match ban. That wasn’t just a dangerous tackle, it was a downright assault and he knew exactly what he was doing. He has previous (see Mandzukic in the WC) and Everton have been getting away with kicking fuuck out of Liverpool for years.

In the very same match, another disgraceful tackle by Richarlison almost resulted in a similar injury to van Dijk’s on Thiago. These ‘tackles’ could very easily end players’ careers. This needs stamped out of the game and 3 matches is not a deterrent at all.

THE FA are despicable cowards. The favourable treatment England internationals get is a disgrace.

Mertens was really lucky he wasn’t seriously injured by the tackle below. I have major doubts the same folk calling for lengthy bans now were looking for VVD to be heavily punished for this, and even then it shows how daft it is to suggest players only receive a harsher punishment in the event the opponent is seriously injured. I mean lesser challenges have resulted in more serious injury.

Trying to compare the two incidents is quite frankly disingenuous nonsense.

Trying to compare the two incidents is quite frankly disingenuous nonsense.

They’re two shocking and dangerous tackles. The biggest bit of nonsense in the thread is your hysterics about it being an outright assault, it’s embarrassing. I’m guessing you’re a big Liverpool fan because that sort of hyperbolic bollocks is generally only coming from their support - in saying that even guys like Carragher can see it for what it is. Only bit I agree with is that England internationals get favourable treatment, that’s probably what’s saved him from a retrospective ban.

They’re two shocking and dangerous tackles. The biggest bit of nonsense in the thread is your hysterics about it being an outright assault, it’s embarrassing. I’m guessing you’re a big Liverpool fan because that sort of hyperbolic bollocks is generally only coming from their support - in saying that even guys like Carragher can see it for what it is. Only bit I agree with is that England internationals get favourable treatment, that’s probably what’s saved him from a retrospective ban.
It was a knee to waist height two footed assault. It wasn’t a tackle.

Van Dijk could have really hurt Mertens but it was a genuine attempt to win the ball. He was low to the ground and it wasn’t wildly out of control.

There is no excusing Pickford’s actions and I hope somebody gives him a dose of his own medicine.

It was a knee to waist height two footed assault. It wasn’t a tackle.

Van Dijk could have really hurt Mertens but it was a genuine attempt to win the ball. He was low to the ground and it wasn’t wildly out of control.

There is no excusing Pickford’s actions and I hope somebody gives him a dose of his own medicine.

Knee to waist height? I think you need to re-familiarise yourself with the human anatomy mate. It’s not two footed either, both feet are wide apart and neither makes contact with the player, it’s the inside of his knee/thigh that connects and causes the damage.

It’s a really bad challenge from a keeper who’s making howler after howler and who made a desperate lunge to stop the opposition player from getting on the ball and scoring. No matter how you dress it up it’s nothing like an assault. Liverpool fans are only seeing what they want to see here because who the injured player is and his importance to their team. There’s no way to prove and nothing to suggest he’s tried to maim the player same way there’s no way you can prove Van Dijk’s shocker on Mertens was an honest attempt to win the ball as opposed to clean the player out.

EktwwUoWAAIvAKk

Knee to waist height? I think you need to re-familiarise yourself with the human anatomy mate. It’s not two footed either, both feet are wide apart and neither makes contact with the player, it’s the inside of his knee/thigh that connects and causes the damage.

It’s a really bad challenge from a keeper who’s making howler after howler and who made a desperate lunge to stop the opposition player from getting on the ball and scoring. No matter how you dress it up it’s nothing like an assault. Liverpool fans are only seeing what they want to see here because who the injured player is and his importance to their team. There’s no way to prove and nothing to suggest he’s tried to maim the player same way there’s no way you can prove Van Dijk’s shocker on Mertens was an honest attempt to win the ball as opposed to clean the player out.

EktwwUoWAAIvAKk
A still photo (especially one that shows Pickford with a foot back on the ground) does this particular incident no justice. Go away and watch it again.

Pickford doesn’t slide out. He jumps out leading with both legs and yes, they were between knee and waist height. Naturally gravity bring him back towards the ground.

Stop being obsequious. You know perfectly well that Pickford jumped out, he didn’t slide with his legs at the positions depicted in the picture.

With respect, I will take the opinions of the raft of professionals who have commented on it, rather than yours, especially given your anti-Liverpool stance.

Sander Westerveld has said it was an attack and an assault. He was a top level goalkeeper. I’ll accept his take on it, especially having played for both clubs.

A two footed tackle is one leading, as Pickford did, with two feet off the ground. The legs don’t need to be together.

I noticed Carragher was saying last night that these things happen it’s a part of football and with Pickford it’s likely a bad mistake from a player whose making been making them regularly over the last year. Now if we’re talking about something like scumbag Simpson on Durrant or Keane on Haaland I can see there being a case for harsher punishment because there’s no question these ‘tackles’ were intended to maim (Keane even went on to admit as much). But if it’s just a shite or poorly timed tackle that results in the injury should the punishment still be more severe due to the outcome? I know there’s still a grey area where you can say “well how do you know Pickford wasn’t intending to cause harm” and I suppose that’s where it becomes more about personal judgment and it goes back to the same problem with penalties being awarded via VAR.

I must admit I think the hoopla surrounding the whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous now, you’d think this was the first time a player had ever had an ACL injury or been out for a lengthy time as the result of a bad tackle. Let’s be honest if it’s a lesser player at a smaller club this is being forgotten about and folk are moving on a lot quicker, even if the injury potentially resulted in a significant increase in the chances of another club being relegated for instance.
Injuries happen, its a contact sport.
unless their is clear malice then its just noise from Bosnich

A still photo (especially one that shows Pickford with a foot back on the ground) does this particular incident no justice. Go away and watch it again.

Pickford doesn’t slide out. He jumps out leading with both legs and yes, they were between knee and waist height. Naturally gravity bring him back towards the ground.

Stop being obsequious. You know perfectly well that Pickford jumped out, he didn’t slide with his legs at the positions depicted in the picture.

With respect, I will take the opinions of the raft of professionals who have commented on it, rather than yours, especially given your anti-Liverpool stance.

Sander Westerveld has said it was an attack and an assault. He was a top level goalkeeper. I’ll accept his take on it, especially having played for both clubs.

The still photo shows the point of contact, it’s not knee to waist high and I’m not being obsequious, you’re talking nonsense and posting fiction. A two footed challenge would indicate both feet together and in contact with the player, that doesn’t happen at any point here, it’s yet more fiction.

Isn’t it peculiar how my opinion aligns with ex-player and Liverpool legend Carragher, or is he anti-Liverpool now too? Should I chalk your opinion down to being pro Liverpool and infatuated with VVD, hence your eyes telling you you’re seeing something that’s not there?

No I think people should be punished based on their intention. Player could go in genuinely intending to win the ball but get it all wrong and break the other guys leg. Another player could go in trying to break a guys leg and not harm him atall. So the theory regarding should people punished based on the outcome of the injury, would mean player b in my example with the horrible intentions could get away with no or little punishment whereas the guy who just commits a foul whilst trying to win the ball and breaks a leg is punished worse. I'm not sure that's fair.

The still photo shows the point of contact, it’s not knee to waist high and I’m not being obsequious, you’re talking nonsense and posting fiction. A two footed challenge would indicate both feet together and in contact with the player, that doesn’t happen at any point here, it’s yet more fiction.

Isn’t it peculiar how my opinion aligns with ex-player and Liverpool legend Carragher, or is he anti-Liverpool now too? Should I chalk your opinion down to being pro Liverpool and infatuated with VVD, hence your eyes telling you you’re seeing something that’s not there?
Graeme Souness called it an assault. I’d say he, more than anyone, would know assault and intent on a football field. Wouldn’t you?

Carragher is an Uncle Tom, a McCoist if you will.

I am not infatuated with van Dijk.

You must be the singlemost poster, in the entire history of FF, that resorts to farcical exaggeration when losing an argument. It’s ridiculous.

Graeme Souness called it an assault. I’d say he, more than anyone would know assault and intent on a football field. Wouldn’t you?
And Carragher who played as a centre half and whose responsibility it was to make tackles said that’s bollocks. Wouldn’t he know?

I’ve posted a photo at the point of contact and explained why what you’re saying just isn’t true. I can’t do any more than that. To call it an assault ascertain “he knew what he was doing” just doesn’t fly.

And Carragher who played as a centre half and whose responsibility it was to make tackles said that’s bollocks. Wouldn’t he know?

I’ve posted a photo at the point of contact and explained why what you’re saying just isn’t true. I can’t do any more than that. To call it an assault ascertain “he knew what he was doing” just doesn’t fly.
Souness played football during an era where assaults were commonplace and he himself was one of the main culprits.

Carragher played in a far cleaner era where the game had been drastically cleaned up. He is an Uncle Tom that is protecting his cushy Sky career, Souness just says it as it is.

Your picture is after the impact. The pain is already visible on van Dijk’s face.

Go away and watch it again, putting your anti-Liverpool stance aside (probably impossible) and day its not assault,

Anyway, I have wasted enough time on you with this rubbish. I will believe the pros, the ones who know what they’re taking about and my own eyes. It’s a blatant assault.

Souness played football during an era where assaults were commonplace and he himself was one of the main culprits.

Carragher played in a far cleaner era where the game had been drastically cleaned up. He is an Uncle Tom that is protecting his cushy Sky career, Souness just says it as it is.

Your picture is after the impact. The pain is already visible on van Dijk’s face.

Go away and watch it again, putting your anti-Liverpool stance aside (probably impossible) and day its not assault,

Anyway, I have wasted enough time on you with this rubbish. I will believe the pros, the ones who know what they’re taking about and my own eyes. It’s a blatant assault.

Surely that means Carragher is the one who should be shocked by the tackle and Souness the one brushing it off? That makes no sense. And I didn’t realise Souness was just showing up to Sky for free whilst Carragher is an employee. Pickford knew what he was doing and Carragher’s an Uncle Tom - it sounds to me like you make broad assumptions about people depending on whether or not they agree with your personal view. Have at it mate, but personally I think that’s embarrassing pish, however everyone’s entitled to their opinion and all that.

And all of the above is my sincere opinion, leaving my jokey WUM persona to the side.

Back