Punting Josh Windass - a mistake?

It was worth punting him just to stop the daily posts on here about what a lazy, useless player he was.

That said, I don't think we miss him much. He wouldn't suit 433, and our press would catch him out.

When Ryan Jack and Daniel Candieas play every week its funny that people saying Windass wasntgood
That is rubbish. Candeias is much better than Windass will ever be. His application and work rate are far superior as is his tracking back and defending. As a winger, Candeias is far more accomplished than Windass.

Eh no he isnt.

Hence Windass has more assists and far more goals. Candieas is absolutely rotten.

That's another question them - is the structure of the team correct for what we need in the SPL against poorer oppistion? We have a very similar midfield 3 who are solid enough but offer little in the final third.

Our wide men will run all day and track. But the end product can be poor.
It’s a very good question, and as the league challenge seems to fall in a heap it is a very valid question. Drawn matches have killed Rangers - drawn matches that a different approach might have changed. A bit of variety might have changed things.

When Ryan Jack and Daniel Candieas play every week its funny that people saying Windass wasntgood

Eh no he isnt.

Hence Windass has more assists and far more goals. Candieas is absolutely rotten.

Candeias had more assists and created more goals than Windass last season.

Windass scored 18 goals for us.

8 of the 18 (44%) were scored against Fraserburgh, Ayr United and Hamilton.

10 of those goals were scored when we already had a 2 goal cushion (55%)

1 of the goals was a fluke he knew nothing about (second game at Easter road)

When you break the stats down it’s not particularly impressive at all, which is why his most prominent cheerleaders always threw tantrums when you dared shine a light on the breakdown of his goals. His best goal was undoubtedly his goal away at Easter Road (first game) which was genuine quality. His goal at Pittodrie was nice though we were already 2-0 up at that time so it wasn’t crucial. His goal against Celtic was very good but his overall effort that day was poor.

We don’t miss him, his attitude is shite, he’s delusional and he just isn’t a player anywhere near good enough to be in a title winning Rangers side. That’s why he’s now strutting his staff at a half empty DW stadium instead of performing in front of crowds of 50,000.

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.

Josh who ?

I don't miss hime. Decent player, but he thought he was better than he was. I often say you can judge the level of player by their next move and he's floundering at Wigan Athletic...so he's not great loss.

Considering we have muck like Candieas playing every week then yes.

Windass is average at best but always good for a goal.

Twice the player DC is however.

This is so far from the truth, it’s scary.

Not as surprised when I see who has posted it, none other than William Davies.

Last edited:
Would Josh Windass have made a difference on Saturday against St. Johnstone? I think yes.

Has replacing him with Grezda worked out? Not even slightly.

Windass has a lot of faults but we have badly missed his goals and drive from midfield this season.

The problem we have right now is the squad doesn't have the character and consistency to win a title. Would Josh be the guy to step up in matches, grab games by the scruff of the neck and win three points by the strength of sheer will alone? No, no he would not. If he was still here we wouldn't be any better off in my opinion. We don't miss him.

27 games for Murphy and 6 goals and 13 assists.

Think its safe to say we do miss him.

Personally, I like Murphy and I think he’s a useful and productive player. But Drumpchapel’s point about injured players becoming the saviour is accurate. Before that injury Murphy was the new whipping boy, slagged off after every game and identified as our weak link.

Josh was like a hot and cold tap he could be great, but he would disappear out of games and do absolutely %^*&@ll, Candeias shits all over him for workrate, and has been an improvement on the egg man.

He was crucified. An absolute whipping boy.

Our support are terrible for this revisionism. Charlie Adam. Barrie McKay, loss of others.

He was piss more times than he was good and that’s really that.

You think a chocolate fireplace could run and kick a ball?

Yes I do

See, I'm only going to continue giving you flippant answers because anything more would be over-stretching someone who clearly doesn't understand a fucking simile

He wouldn't have fit into Gerrard's Rangers but we haven't replaced the goals he contributed. Blowing the fee we received for him on Grezda hasn't been good business.

Selling him for £2m was good business, he was never going to fit into Gerrard’s side.

The issue is we haven’t re-invested the cash wisely. We needed to get an attacking midfielder in January and the money spent on Grezda is looking wasteful.

Probably not a mistake, but we should be investing heavily in a creative midfielder this summer. If we don't i fear it'll be groundhog day next season

I love how nearly every single player from the past few years get ridiculed and disregarded on here meanwhile our current crop are, by and large, underachieving, unmotivated and inconsistent. Generally speaking it’s not like things are much better by position (statistically/results). Most of our personnel moves/strategy haven’t been worth the energy and resources.

Sorry but there is no reason why a player who was not good enough for us last season would suddenly become our midfield saviour less than 12 months later. It's wishful thinking, understandable but still wishful thinking.

Reached his peak as a player here.Wasn't really good enough to step up a level.It's all downhill for the lad now.Hope he does well where he goes but it won't be premier or top leagues he plays in.I think.

Back