Pyro in the 80’s

Superb!

I was with a boy that fired a proper distress flare from the middle of the rangers end onto the pitch around 1987.

Might have been just after we scored or they missed a penalty, memory isn't very good I'm afraid.

Flare guns were a thing for a period in the 80’s. I remember one being fired at the filth in the Gallowgate and another into the Aberdeen fans from a guy on the pitch when we won the league in 1987.

Top class, love these clips !! Few years before my time this one ,
But never has been a greater sight for me.
Fast forward 20 year and my first game at parkhead and there was fireworks getting let off at half time :))

Last edited:
Yes, I always had a smoke bomb or a flare when we played them as my old man had a boat so we always had flares or smoke bombs. I remember the Skoll cup final at Hampdem and we were right next to them with the fence sperating us at the half way line and we sparked a smoke bomb and threw it into their end, 2 seconds later it landed back at us but it had not went off, some madman managed to geat it going and while it was smoking away in his hand he threw it over the fence and that caused a minor riot. Good times in the 80s.

Unfortunately not, I went 3/4 times before I seen us take anything from there the 3-3 game stands out :))
I was a bit more fortunate. First game at Parkhead was a 4-3 victory in a Glasgow Cup semi final in 1969. Four long years passed before a 3-1 victory in the League Cup. We didn’t need pyro to party after that one.

Notice there was no fancy colours of the spectrum, there were grey smoke bombs and if u wanted another colour then there was grey !
You could even buy them from woolworths.

I dont remember any flares getting fired from us inside a ground but there were plenty fired outside towards opposing casuals.

The only time I remember one in our direction was at home v Hibs when they were bizarrely put in the main stand. They fired one towards the copey and it hit the pigeon netting above them before landing back in amongst them. Comedy factor cos it did that but serious as well because it could have ended up another Bradford given our main stand interior was still predominantly wood then.

I can remember Hibs fans letting off flares and shitting myself as a kid the stadium was on fire where the UBs sit these days. Maybe 85/86 ish

I can remember Hibs fans letting off flares and shitting myself as a kid the stadium was on fire where the UBs sit these days. Maybe 85/86 ish
Remember early 80’s Hibs launched a tear gas canister into the Tim’s end , chaos ensued and it made the front pages!

Remember early 80’s Hibs launched a tear gas canister into the Tim’s end , chaos ensued and it made the front pages!
Vice versa, glasgow mentally challengeds (mccann) launched it into edinburgh mentally challengeds.

Notice there was no fancy colours of the spectrum, there were grey smoke bombs and if u wanted another colour then there was grey !

I dont remember any flares getting fired from us inside a ground but there were plenty fired outside towards opposing casuals.

The only time I remember one in our direction was at home v Hibs when they were bizarrely put in the main stand. They fired one towards the copey and it hit the pigeon netting above them before landing back in amongst them. Comedy factor cos it did that but serious as well because it could have ended up another Bradford given our main stand interior was still predominantly wood then.
Remember flare getting fired at Motherwell in Fir Park before the game had started.

Seen a fee flares go off from videos of Juve away and Bayern away in the 90s.

I was at juve away but dont remember it mate
EkmisnLXYAAmhXU.jpg

This was Juventus away 1995? Not sure how hand held flares are considered "poofy" as whenever the UB set them off folk have an aneurysm.
I know, I was there.

IMO, flares fired from a gun (80s/90s stylee) intently fired to deliberately injure people are more manly and less poofy than holding a flare (90s/00s stylee) to look good akin to a gerry cinnamon concert.

Was just along from the flare that night.
Big problem getting out that shite hole that night.
Tally gestapo had us locked into our area, can remember after the game going for a pee, into a big hole, and coming out to see our supporters all hemmed in, cunts took a long time before letting us back to buses.
Bastards also wouldn't let us over the border out of the 19th Century Terrorist country without passing over money/drink/fags.
22 hours on a bus. 2 hours on a boat, never have or will do it again.

I know, I was there.

IMO, flares fired from a gun (80s/90s stylee) intently fired to deliberately injure people are more manly and less poofy than holding a flare (90s/00s stylee) to look good akin to a gerry cinnamon concert.
Folk throw the flares that you hold, happens all over Europe with rival Ultra groups.

Remember the bangers you used to get around bonfire night getting launched back and forward when we visited the old Love Street one November in the 80's

The segregation fence under the old shed used to be better entertainment than the game sometimes

I was present when a thunderflash was thrown into a bus jam packed with killies mob after a game at hampden.The windows had been put in and it was thrown right into the top deck.What a fu*king bang it made.Also when a flare was fired at filth on the gallowgste they were all diving behind cars and bolted.

Vice versa, glasgow mentally challengeds (mccann) launched it into edinburgh mentally challengeds.
McCann twins got time for that also guy from auchinairn who I won’t name.In fact a few of them went down for it.Set off the cs gas and it blew back on the rheptiles from mordor.

Remember that day they were right at the broomie end of the main stand.It went right up into the roof then right back down into themselves.Fucking bangers couldn’t even get that right.

I remember being brought to the Piggery as a kid by my dad o_O Long story.. it was mid to late 1980s and this was in return for taking me to Ibrox.

We were in the home end behind the goal one match against Hearts and after they scored, some loonball lit a firework rocket (larger than a mini rocket) and aimed it at Henry Smith in the Hearts goal.

Silly sod dropped that as well :D

Was that not late 80s, might even have been around the time of the 2-2 game at Ibrox agains the Bheggars?
I’m sure I remember the media going into overdrive about football being the scourge of society.

That was the first game v them I ever went to.the smoke bomb made the atmosphere in the rangers end that day even better as we had just scored.

Back