Q & A with Gregg Wylde

Bonnyloyal

GREGG WYLDE got to meet hero Gazza before a Rangers game but here he reveals it was magician Dynamo who helped the Ibrox side win that day.

The Plymouth winger also tells us about his big talent playing table tennis and recalls highlights from a career that has seen him play for Aberdeen, St Mirren and Bolton on his travels.

ARF ARF. What’s the funniest wind-up you’ve seen?

There’s been loads of wind-ups and incidents down the years, especially back when I was at Rangers.

The one that sticks out most is when we were at training at Murray Park around Bonfire Night and Ally McCoist was doing a TV interview at the side of the pitch.

Kyle Lafferty was always doing daft things and he thought it would be funny to set off a fire-cracker behind Coisty. It was hilarious but I’m not sure our assistant manager thought so.

BUDDIES. What was your best moment at St Mirren?

I loved playing for St Mirren because it’s a great club with brilliant fans.

My best moment was scoring a good goal against Ross County to win the game. We also fought back from 2-0 down against Motherwell to win 3-2.

CRAZY. Who is the daftest team-mate you’ve ever had and why?

That would be Kal Naismith. I’ll never forget the day we had training and Kal didn’t turn up.

The gaffer, Walter Smith, was fuming before he found out he’d been abducted in Edinburgh. It’s got to be best-ever excuse for missing training.

DOH. What’s been your most embarrassing moment?

On Fridays at Bolton we’d play fives and someone on the losing team at the end had to sing a song. I ended up making a right fool of myself singing We Will Rock You.

EARLY CAREER. Why didn’t you make it at Celtic?

I was with Celtic up until Under-14s. It was then that Rangers contacted my dad and asked if I’d sign for them.

As a big Rangers fan I was desperate to go but Celtic wouldn’t let me. It was only when Rangers came back in again that the move went through.

FOXY. Who is your ideal woman?

Has to be my fiancée, Georgia. No one else comes close and I cannot wait to marry her.

The wedding is actually booked for the summer of 2019 at Cameron House Hotel.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw there was a major fire there last week. My thoughts go to the families who lost loved ones.

GONNA NO DAE THAT. What annoys you?

I hate it when you’re stuck in traffic and let someone move in front of you — and they don’t say thanks. That’s enough to give me road rage.

HAMMERED. What’s the biggest bender you’ve ever been on and what happened?

I’m not a big drinker but a few years ago I went to Tenerife with a few of my pals. I was trying to act the big man by going drink for drink but I ended up being put to my bed.

Ibrox. How tough was it to leave Rangers?

That was the hardest thing ever. I’ve been a Rangers fan all my life and I loved every minute of my time there, breaking through into the first team under Walter Smith and winning two major medals.

I was only a teenager at the time and feel like I achieved a lot. But when the club went into difficulty in 2012 I had to move

JINGLE BELLS. What’s the best Christmas present you got as a kid?

All I got from Santa was football stuff. My best present was a pair of Adidas Predator boots with my name stitched on the side. I’d run around pretending to be David Beckham.

KICK IN THE TEETH. What’s your worst moment in football?

The day Rangers went into administration. I could probably write a book around everything that happened around that time. So much of it was unbelievable but it was a sad experience.

LAUGHING GEAR. Who’s the worst dressed team-mate you’ve ever had?

I played with Peter Hartley at Plymouth, his gear was abysmal. I hope he has improved his style now he’s at Motherwell.

MISTAKEN IDENTITY. Have you ever been mistaken for anyone?

When I was at Rangers someone stopped me in the street to say I had to grow my hair longer because I looked like Freddie Ljungberg with it shaved. Some of my mates still call me Freddie.

NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY. What were you like at school?

I didn’t concentrate enough if I’m honest. I just mucked about, carrying on too much with my mates. I regret that now.

OLIVER REED. Who would you like to share a drink with?

It would be a choice between Sergio Ramos or Cristiano Ronaldo. They’re both legends and I’d love to sit and have a natter with them about how they got to the top.

PITTODRIE. What are your memories of playing for Aberdeen?

That was a bad move for me. Going there as an ex-Rangers player was never going to work out.

In hindsight I’d have been better joining another club. I scored against Hibs but the writing was on the wall.

QUIVERING WRECK. What was your most nerve-wracking moment?

When Walter Smith put up the teamsheet that showed I was playing in the League Cup final against Celtic.

I’ve never been one to get hit with nerves but when the gaffer gave me the heads up I was surprised.

RED CARPET. Who’s the most famous person you have met?

Gazza came into the dressing room at Ibrox before one game and it was a real buzz meeting him because he was one of my big heroes.

The magician, Dynamo, was also there that day and did some amazing tricks before the match.

He did something and then told Nikica Jelavic he’d score two goals that day, and he did.

SOUNDTRACK. Who is your favourite band and why?

I like my house music and some R&B but the best band I’ve seen recently was Take That. Me and the missus went to see them at the Hydro in Glasgow and they were sensational.

TIME TRAVELLER. Which event in history would you like to have witnessed?

I don’t know about moments in history but I went to Barcelona a few months ago on the day they were playing Real Madrid and didn’t go to the game.

I’d love to go back there one day and see El Clasico.

UNBELIEVABLE. Tell us something we don’t know about you.

I’m brilliant at table tennis. We used to play it every day at Murray Park and I was rarely beaten.

Andy Little is a cracking player too. If he stopped playing football tomorrow he could turn pro at TT.

VICTORY. What’s been your best moment in football?

Making by debut for Rangers. That was just a special day for myself and my family.

WILLY WONKA. What’s your favourite film and why?

American Gangster is a brilliant film. Denzel Washington is brilliant in it. I’ve seen it about a dozen times but it’s a top movie.

X-FILES. What is your strangest experience?

After a shopping trip to the Fort in Glasgow with my mate Ian Gray we were leaving the car park when a motor behind me kept flashing its lights.

I kept driving but the car kept following me, even racing through a red light to keep up with me. We started to think it might be the police so I stopped.

Then a big guy got out the car behind me and came to my window, with Ian and I scared something was about to happen.

But the bloke just asked if I could get a picture taken with his son

Always found it mad how much he improved our side during the 10/11 season on the basis he had a modicum of pace in his locker. Just shows you how far you can go in the game so long as you can run fast

I remember him having a cracking game in that league cup final,everybody thought we’d get done in that match but Walter done his stuff:cool:

Obviously he had limited ability but he sure balanced up our team. More so than Weiss who was a far superior player.

Always found it mad how much he improved our side during the 10/11 season on the basis he had a modicum of pace in his locker. Just shows you how far you can go in the game so long as you can run fast
Was shaking my head at that bit as well, what a daftie :D

My step-daughter dated him for a wee while, she's a really clever lassie and chucked him because he was too thick.

Back