Qatar World Cup - Why Rangers Fans should be leading the call for Scotland to Boycott

I’m passing on what I’ve been told from a doctor. I don’t claim to know the ins and outs.

I suspect since they don’t exactly care much about the migrant workers, most of which live in the caravan sites in the desert, that thorough medicals aren’t a high priority.

Unless you’re also a doctor at one of Doha’s hospitals, then I’m going to disregard what you have to say.

I’m certainly not making anything up, although I have made my mind up on you. Twat.
Twat...how nice...you know bugger all about middle east healthcare...i have worked in that environment for 35 years...

Aye right I know a lot more about HMC than you to be honest.

You clearly know %^*& all. Did something 18 years ago and you think your knowledge is somehow relative today. Nothing but a jumped up pencil pusher.

I’d obviously be excluding accidents in those numbers. You seem to be discrediting me on supposition. Unless you have actual facts to disprove my assertions, which I’m happy to listen to if they prove me wrong, i’ll go with the person working there in the front line that the overwhelming majority die of an underlying illness and not industrial conditions, as is often reported here.

Hey Man - chilllllll :) I only stated that I found it hard to believe that 99% of workers who die were terminally ill or critically ill (again your exact quotes), and then told you why when you asked. You have now changed your assertion to match almost exactly my words instead (i.e. you take out accidents and call it underlying health conditions)........

And to clarify - I think the numbers are being inflated/hyped too

Last edited:
Oh and I have recruited and worked in HMC, so I think I know what I am talking about

So you’re telling me the health professionals are sub standard, whilst also telling me you recruited for them.

That’s all I need to know.

Hey Man - chilllllll :) I only stated that I found it hard to believe that 99% of workers who die were terminally ill or critically ill (again your exact quotes), and then told you why when you asked. You have now changed your assertion to match almost exactly my words instead (i.e. you take out accidents and call it underlying health conditions)........

Apologies if my tone came across as shouty, that other guy had properly got my back up for suggesting I was just making stuff up.

I think we’re on the same page, maybe my original post wasn't succinct enough.

Waffle.

Does this not hold similarities to what we all scoff and roll our eyes at when the GB think they are going to make a difference in Palestine or *insert another cause*?

All seems a bit strange and post #15 is actually laughable.

So you’re telling me the health professionals are sub standard, whiplst also telling me you recruited for them.

That’s all I need to know.
Nope the healthcare folk I helped recruit are ok folk...the wages paid at HMC do not attract the best.....listen to the local Qatari phone ins about HMC..oh and all the locals want to use Sidra now not HMC for births

Talking about made up shite, your last sentence is utter made-up bollocks. Hamad is made up of some of the best doctors in the world, who have been brought in to bring their expertise to Qataris and improve the overall health care.

Mate, I encourage debate but this post shows that you are wrong.

To suggest that 99% of workers who die are actually long term terminally ill patients who, upon receiving a terminal diagnosis (presumbly from the nearest oncologist in their impoverished village in India), instead of seeking palliative care, immediately relocate to Qatar, evading all medical checks, to work out their final few months before croaking in the Hamad, seems unrealistic. As opposed to sloppy safety standards on the site and unsanitary conditions in the worker compounds, both due to an unwillingness to spend money on such workers.

But what I know for sure is wrong, construction workers absolutely do not get taken to the same hospitals as Qataris and the top doctors who are there for the dosh (fair enough) treating the great and the good of Qatari society absolutely do not treat construction workers as well. There are private hospitals and public ones. I'm gonna have to call BS on this comment.

She’s not mate, father in law is from Paisley, he’s likely to have dealt with a lot of the FF wives as he was the top Obs/Gyns guy in Scotland, particularly with twins (which is partially what got him head hunted by the Qataris).

Did 40 years in the NHS and then went to Doha to build up his pension (albeit he’s cutting his time short as he’s struggling to accept the cultural hypocrisy of the place). I wouldn’t have posted what I did if I doubted what he said, he’s not the sort of person to deal in hyperbole.

If he wanted to help out the third world, he should have stayed in Paisley. They need more help than most places.

To suggest that 99% of workers who die are actually long term terminally ill patients who, upon receiving a terminal diagnosis (presumbly from the nearest oncologist in their impoverished village in India), instead of seeking palliative care, immediately relocate to Qatar, evading all medical checks, to work out their final few months before croaking in the Hamad, seems unrealistic. As opposed to sloppy safety standards on the site and unsanitary conditions in the worker compounds, both due to an unwillingness to spend money on such workers.

But what I know for sure is wrong, construction workers absolutely do not get taken to the same hospitals as Qataris and the top doctors who are there for the dosh (fair enough) treating the great and the good of Qatari society absolutely do not treat construction workers as well. There are private hospitals and public ones. I'm gonna have to call BS on this comment.
Everyone living and working in Qatar has access to the HMC public hospitals. Most Qataris will go private (Al Ahli or the likes) or overseas. The purpose of Sidra was to bring a standard of care up and beyond HMC. It is only starting now.

I don’t know if you’ve quoted the wrong post, but the one you have is definitely true. That’s the whole point of Hamad and Sidra, bring in doctors from the top positions around the world to try and improve the health care in their country.

Some of it is superficial where they want to appear to be making change and don’t (more with ideas/perceptions around say women) but there is marked change in the way the country deals with medicine.

My FiL spends a few hours on his day off helping at the public hospitals, as he does still have that NHS side of him where he doesn’t believe people should be helped based on wealth (he accepts there’s a leave of hypocrisy based on his pay, so he tries to alleviate that, even if it’s to a small degree). This is where he’s more likely to come in contact with the workers etc. and I believe some of the other western doctors do the same thing. Again, I don’t know the ins and outs and don’t claim to be an expert, I’m simply passing on the anecdotal evidence I’ve been given.

Having driven by the places these workers live, I’m not for one minute trying to suggest they’re not horrendous, they are a disgrace. When we were last there, it was 40 degrees when we were out at the dunes, and a mile down the road was a migrant camp. Middle of the desert with no air conditioning, little water, limited sanitation.

I’ve no love for Qatar, I’m indifferent at best. Until recently, my belief had always been the people dying were mostly due to conditions of the work place, but as I said, the evidence from medical professionals has told me otherwise, to the complete opposite end of the scale. If Qatar are going to be taken to task for their human rights, then it’s important to get all the facts correct.

wouldnt it be the case allover the world that people who die have an underlyng condition?

Not necessarily. I think it was panaroma did a thing on Qatar, basically saying that perfectly healthy people were dying due to the conditions, which as I’ve now find out isn’t true.

The other thing they reported was the withholding of passports. That’s not unique to migrant workers, same thing happened to my FiL when he arrived and when he tells them he’s leaving for good, he’ll have it withheld for 3 months.

Not necessarily. I think it was panaroma did a thing on Qatar, basically saying that perfectly healthy people were dying due to the conditions, which as I’ve now find out isn’t true.

The other thing they reported was the withholding of passports. That’s not unique to migrant workers, same thing happened to my FiL when he arrived and when he tells them he’s leaving for good, he’ll have it withheld for 3 months.
The passport thing is the norm at HMC...notoriously slow at processing residence visas and exit visas. Ask your FiL if he knew the Chief of OB at Sidra..he left but am curious.

If he wanted to help out the third world, he should have stayed in Paisley. They need more help than most places.

He did 40 years in the NHS, working 70 to 80 hour weeks. He was often the only on-call senior consultant for the whole of the West of Scotland, often having to make judgement calls over who to go to when two emergencies happened at once (we can thank the SNP for that one).

His health had deteriorated, his stress levels were sky high, and it was only a matter of time before he had to choose between two emergencies and one resulted in a death. The stress and burden of that was going to kill him if he kept going, so I don't think the guy owes us anything. He was past the age of retirement and I certainly don't grudge him wanting to build up a decent pension pot by doing a few years abroad.

There is no oppression of religion in Qatar...there are Christian churches. Geez, even Jewish folk and live and work there. Qatar is similar to any GCC country in terms of employing overseas labour...no better, no worse.

The wages paid to labourers and others are a reflection of the market/country they are recruited from..true some living conditions and other benefits could be improved. I know a number of Asians who have worked in the Middle East and they live like 'lords' back in their home countries with the supposedly paltry earnings they made in the Gulf.

Mate a few token churches doesnt mean equality.

Christians are strictly and criminally prohibited from proselytizing, Muslims are encouraged to do so.

It takes years to get approval to build a church, which are set out in defined areas away from the town centres and main drags.

Christians cannot become citizens - even Lebanese born and bred out there who have lived there for 40 years cant get citizenship.

Can a Qatari pronouce he/she is now a Christian or a Hindu and carry on with life as normal?

I think relgious equality should be a pre-requisite, along with a few others, for hosting the WC.

And people should be paid the going rate for the work they do, not on some sliding scale based on wages in their country of birth.

Last, do you think labourers go on a reccy to Qatar to check it out, spend the day on the beach and a night in the bars to see if they'll like it. Then go back home and make a decision? Most are barely literate and are herded from their village on masse and dumped in the ME with no means of returning home, other than their annual flight, which they get given at a time that suits their employer, not them.

Sorry mate, not meaning to have a go, but I think you are dead wrong.

Mate a few token churches doesnt mean equality.

Christians are strictly and criminally prohibited from proselytizing, Muslims are encouraged to do so.

It takes years to get approval to build a church, which are set out in defined areas away from the town centres and main drags.

Christians cannot become citizens - even Lebanese born and bred out there who have lived there for 40 years cant get citizenship.

Can a Qatari pronouce he/she is now a Christian or a Hindu and carry on with life as normal?

I think relgious equality should be a pre-requisite, along with a few others, for hosting the WC.

And people should be paid the going rate for the work they do, not on some sliding scale based on wages in their country of birth.

Last, do you think labourers go on a reccy to Qatar to check it out, spend the day on the beach and a night in the bars to see if they'll like it. Then go back home and make a decision? Most are barely literate and are herded from their village on masse and dumped in the ME with no means of returning home, other than their annual flight, which they get given at a time that suits their employer, not them.

Sorry mate, not meaning to have a go, but I think you are dead wrong.
Thats your opinion and debate is what its all about. Christmas is openly celebrated in Qatar, churches are there for worshippers of the faith. I know a number of Qataris who have married Christians...no big issue, but like Catholics kids brought up as muslims.
Citizenship for Qataris is limited...although when they abolished slavery the former slaves were given citizenship.
To be frank Qatar is probably the most open of GCC countries...try slagging of UAE, Kuwait and Saudi next if you want to see how bad their human rights are

The problem with the OP's opinion is, like 99.9% of the UK public opinion's, they're not their own.

Can only advise some proper research to learn and understand your topic which in turn will allow you to form your own opinions and post them on a public forum and see if they stand up to the scrutiny of your peers which yours haven't because you have plagiarised, accepted and repeated someone else's.

Travel away from the british tv news and papers would also help...failing that a brain transplant.

[
The problem with the OP's opinion is, like 99.9% of the UK public opinion's, they're not their own.

Can only advise some proper research to learn and understand your topic which in turn will allow you to form your own opinions and post them on a public forum and see if they stand up to the scrutiny of your peers which yours haven't because you have plagiarised, accepted and repeated someone else's.

Travel away from the british tv news and papers would also help...failing that a brain transplant.

Can't say that about the Rev - he makes me laugh and his hearts in the right place..

But 100% agreement with doing your own research - far too many truths turn out to be bullshit.

Totally agree, lived and worked in a lot of countries where I have learned that what I was taught in school and read or heard on TV was BS at best and glad that I have seen with my own eyes the reality as well as meeting a lot of good people..

Everything in the OP makes sense. I am reluctant to agree with a boycott though. I strongly disagree with sport being used as a vehicle for politics, by anyone and for any reason. While a boycott would be perfectly justifiable in this instance, where might it lead?

Mate, I agree with you, take nothing at face value, do your own research and form your own opinions.

But, William Munny, killer of women and children and reasoned debate, to say we're all talking shite, tell us the points are not only wrong but also plagerised, tell us to do our own research, (implying you have and that unlike the rest of us you have access to the truth which you're keeping to yourself), then to trott off believing your own superiority without sharing your extensive wisdom or indeed any wisdom with us mortals, is lacking a little in self awareness.

We may well be talking shite but a few pompus remarks with no substance isnt gonna alter any views.

The floor is yours The Great Oz, why not enlighten us?

Agree with OP except for his attempt to make it into a party political point.

Yes we should instigate a campaign for Scotland not to enter. We probably won't be successful as the great unwashed will automatically oppose anything from Ibrox way. And their servants from press & SFA will do as bid. But it does make a moral point.

Everything in the OP makes sense. I am reluctant to agree with a boycott though. I strongly disagree with sport being used as a vehicle for politics, by anyone and for any reason. While a boycott would be perfectly justifiable in this instance, where might it lead?

Imagine you live in a bubble and everything you can see hear touch and taste resides in that bubble with you, so, that is all you can possibly ever know...

Now imagine their is a lot more outside that bubble you live in that maybe hidden from you, that you could know if you only had the strength to look and a willingness to understand...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Imagine you live in a bubble and everything you can see hear touch and taste resides in that bubble with you, so, that is all you can possibly ever know...

Now imagine their is a lot more outside that bubble you live in that maybe hidden from you, that you could know if you only had the strength to look and a willingness to understand...

Hello mate, you seem like a man who thinks he knows his stuff, take some of the original points, say rule of law, free press, arrest and detainment without charge, or any of the others, and enlighten us.

I really dont want to be wrong for a moment longer than I have to be and every day is a school day, so if there is the rule of law, a free press, minimum wage and union rights please let us know.

There are many more appropriate vehicles for protest than sport. I am simply of the opinion that sport should be enjoyed for it's own sake. Where does using sport for political point making, however justified in real terms, lead? Where is the stop and start of it? We absolutely mock the scum for their Palestine pish and in large part, quoted often, because sport and politics are 2 completely separate entities.

ps, anyone can quote the bard instead of answering a point..

Mate, I agree with you, take nothing at face value, do your own research and form your own opinions.

But, William Munny, killer of women and children and reasoned debate, to say we're all talking shite, tell us the points are not only wrong but also plagerised, tell us to do our own research, (implying you have and that unlike the rest of us you have access to the truth which you're keeping to yourself), then to trott off believing your own superiority without sharing your extensive wisdom or indeed any wisdom with us mortals, is lacking a little in self awareness.

We may well be talking shite but a few pompus remarks with no substance isnt gonna alter any views.

The floor is yours The Great Oz, why not enlighten us?

Well Rev. i try and explain things simply as if i were talking to kids after all kids are passionately curious about the world and everything in it, its only when you stop learning you turn into a moron...so if you can put your kids hat on and repeat after me i know nothing we can begin...siting comfortably?

You have been manipulated from birth to see the world in the blinkered way you do it shouldn't be allowed yet it is prevalent in every aspect of our society and very few people have the strength to see things as they really are, you accept what your told and plagiarise every word you've heard to the point of fanaticism, not the thought process of a rational mind, more the actions of a blunt instrument as you walk through life with your eyes and ears shut and your mouth open.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...best of luck on your journey Rev i know you'll need it.

Shit mate, I never knew Deepak Chopra was on Follow Follow. Welcome.

And like half the fellas on here, I was forced to read Hamlet in 4th year as well, quoting it on FF doesn't make you profound. You might disagree with everything else I've said, but please, for your own good, trust me on this.

Student Walker

Reading and seeing Hamlet like everything else in your life hasn't helped you learn anything.

You might disagree with everything else i've said but please for your own good trust me on this.

Student Walker

Reading and seeing Hamlet like everything else in your life hasn't helped you learn anything.

You might disagree with everything else i've said but please for your own good trust me on this.

The trouble with trying to look smart by using other people's words is that it rarely works.
Having a wide ranging knowledge of the world is a good thing.
Right or wrong, talking down to people is rarely endearing.
Obviously differences of opinion can lead to enlightenment for everyone involved.
Bettering yourself should always be the aim.
Bettering others is a handy by product, but only if done in a way that does not try to belittle them.
Everyone can learn something from everyone else.
Really though, you sometimes just have to read the first letter and take it from there.

Only trying to make Walker think Northampton by using his own badly thought out words, again its your lack of understanding and seeing it in only one way that makes you look stupid.

The rest of your post shows me the pudding you are.

Qatar hosting the World Cup is a chance for us (Rangers fans) to be on the side of right (again) and also, as a happy corollary, to show up the SFA, certain sections of the Tartan Army, the SNP, the current Scottish government, Show Racism the Red Card, the Labour Party and the Socialist Worker as phoneys, frauds, hypocrites and keyboard self proclaimed liberals in name only.

I don’t have a problem with bribery and corruption, because they are all at it. I don’t think the tiny size of a country and/or the insane climate (of up to 50 celcius in summer) should automatically rule a country out – yes, each one makes it exponentially harder to establish a valid case for hosting the WC and indeed if you have both it makes it all but impossible, but I say let them submit a proposal and – as a believer in human ingenuity and overcoming the odds – maybe they can come up with something that will make it work.

Forget all that though, the reasons why Qatar should not be allowed to host the World Cup and given that this now seems unavoidable, the reasons Scotland must not participate in the qualifiers, are set out below. Any nation that participates in the tournament is not only condoning and legitimizing the regime that governs Qatar, they are supporting and promoting the following values of the state of Qatar. And these are just some of the greatest hits.

In Qatar, they have the death penalty for being gay – that in itself should be enough to rule out Qatar as a World Cup host. They have the death penalty for apostasy, any Muslim who wants to exercise simple freedom of thought and conscience is to be killed by the state.

Qatar is a brutal dictatorship (is there another kind?), there is no democracy and no rule of law. People can be, and are, arrested by the state and held without charge, without limit of time. This is tyranny. There is no freedom of religion, Christians and other minorities are greatly oppressed and suppressed.

There is no free press and no free speech – basic rights that we in Scotland take for granted. Women who are raped are arrested for sex outside marriage and if Western, forced to take an immediate blood test to establish blood/alcohol levels. And this is Western women, imagine the plight of the thousands of Filipino housemaids who are brutalized on a daily basis and for whom no one speaks, who are too terrified to go to the authorities (who would do nothing anyway).

But perhaps most appalling of all, and given the strong field this is quite an accolade; there are absolutely no worker rights. Literally tens of thousands will be killed or maimed in constructing the monstrosities required for this tournament, and ancillary structures (hotels, roads, fan parks etc). Workers get paid around GBP250 per month. There is no minimum wage, no right to unionise, no right to assemble. Workers die in countless ways, some just drop dead in heat of the summer. They land in Qatar, herded from villages in India, have their passports taken from them and are put to work – their treatment would make Ramises blush.

I believe Scotland should not participate in this tournament out of moral principal and I’d like to see Rangers fans lead the campaign to convince Scotland not to take part. The values of Qatar are contrary to the values of the Rangers support (which includes equality for LGBT people and women and strong worker rights and protections) and as such we believe Scotland should not be participating in this tournament.

Let’s be on the side of right, again and let’s show up the phoneys for what they are. This is a win-win for Rangers. We get to take the moral high ground and ram it to some of our enemies for their crass hypocrisy.

Letters to MPs and all sorts will be sent, I’ll keep you posted on replies.

As compelling a case as has ever been made on here for anything.

If Qatar was a white Protestant country and carried out even a tenth of this behaviour, people like Corbyn, Linekar, and the other virtue signallers who pollute debate in this country would have been leading such a boycott already.

Qatar hosting the World Cup is a chance for us (Rangers fans) to be on the side of right (again) and also, as a happy corollary, to show up the SFA, certain sections of the Tartan Army, the SNP, the current Scottish government, Show Racism the Red Card, the Labour Party and the Socialist Worker as phoneys, frauds, hypocrites and keyboard self proclaimed liberals in name only.

I don’t have a problem with bribery and corruption, because they are all at it. I don’t think the tiny size of a country and/or the insane climate (of up to 50 celcius in summer) should automatically rule a country out – yes, each one makes it exponentially harder to establish a valid case for hosting the WC and indeed if you have both it makes it all but impossible, but I say let them submit a proposal and – as a believer in human ingenuity and overcoming the odds – maybe they can come up with something that will make it work.
etc etc etc

why just pick on Scotland , why not England, Wales and N Ireland also will you be calling the other home countries out for trying to qualify or is your beef only with Scotland ??

i would rather all 4 countries refused to take part

There are many more appropriate vehicles for protest than sport. I am simply of the opinion that sport should be enjoyed for it's own sake. Where does using sport for political point making, however justified in real terms, lead? Where is the stop and start of it? We absolutely mock the scum for their Palestine pish and in large part, quoted often, because sport and politics are 2 completely separate entities.

ps, anyone can quote the bard instead of answering a point..

Understand what the bard means by the words he writes then you will understand the point i'm making... thats the reason i'm quoting him, to back up my point, so its easier for you to understand...Christ you can lead a man to reason but you cannot make him think...eh.

As compelling a case as has ever been made on here for anything.

If Qatar was a white Protestant country and carried out even a tenth of this behaviour, people like Corbyn, Linekar, and the other virtue signallers who pollute debate in this country would have been leading such a boycott already.

I think that's right mate and it's a source of frustration to many, myself included. The inconsistent application of moral faux outrage. The act itself, whether maltreatment of women or gay people is irrelevant, the only point of relevance to self appointed Social Justice Warriors is who is committing the act.

If you or your group are in the sacred cow category, you can do pretty much whatever you like, no matter how horrendous, and escape censure and criticism.

On the other hand, if you and yours are in the perpetual bad guys group then your every move is scrutinized to the nth degree and every transgression of impossible standards blown out of proportion.

Political correctness isn't about making the lives of the most vulnerable better, it's a weapon to advance agendas, personal and group ones.

Thats your opinion and debate is what its all about. Christmas is openly celebrated in Qatar, churches are there for worshippers of the faith. I know a number of Qataris who have married Christians...no big issue, but like Catholics kids brought up as muslims.
Citizenship for Qataris is limited...although when they abolished slavery the former slaves were given citizenship.
To be frank Qatar is probably the most open of GCC countries...try slagging of UAE, Kuwait and Saudi next if you want to see how bad their human rights are
The problem is mate, those other countries you mention haven't been awarded the greatest sporting spectacle on earth.

As I said, if even some of the OP's allegations were true of a White Protestant country, do you think for one moment it would have been given the World Cup, and that there wouldn't be a hue and cry from the usual quarters in the West if that had happened?

I think that's right mate and it's a source of frustration to many, myself included. The inconsistent application of moral faux outrage. The act itself, whether maltreatment of women or gay people is irrelevant, the only point of relevance to self appointed Social Justice Warriors is who is committing the act.

If you or your group are in the sacred cow category, you can do pretty much whatever you like, no matter how horrendous, and escape censure and criticism.

On the other hand, if you and yours are in the perpetual bad guys group then your every move is scrutinized to the nth degree and every transgression of impossible standards blown out of proportion.

Political correctness isn't about making the lives of the most vulnerable better, it's a weapon to advance agendas, personal and group ones.
still waiting for my reply was your O/P just another way to single out just Scotland and none of the other home countries

"why just pick on Scotland , why not England, Wales and N Ireland also will you be calling the other home countries out for trying to qualify or is your beef only with Scotland ??

i would rather all 4 countries refused to take part"

I fully understand each person can only form an opinion based on their own experiences & as per my previous post - having spent 6 years in Abu Dhabi 4 years in KSA 3 years in Algeria & 3 years & 7 months in Qatar - by far the worst experience of utter and blatant disregard for workers rights & even basic human sympathy for others was experienced by me in Qatar -
This is as close as I ever want to be to modern day slavery
UAE & KSA are hardly innocent but they aren't even close to the malpractices I witnessed in Qatar

Latest posts

Back