QotS Chairmans views on the return of football.

Coallie

Or maybe a country with 6 million people in it doesn’t require 40+ football clubs anyway.
This could be the chance to bring in a league with full time professional teams only & rid the game of the diddy clubs, possibly have just 1 or 2 leagues, but all full time with grass parks , rid the game of clubs who are only in it for the money & put nothing into the game , lower league clubs like in div 1 & 2 just no ambition happy to go along with the same old same old , the likes of Arbroath, Montrose, Albion Rovers , Forfar these teams have been in the bottom league for years showing no sign of ambition or forward thinking , that's why the game here has gone stale & the corruption is allowed to fester & grow , clubs like these support the status quo only for the pittance they receive for being a member club , remember these clubs get the same vote as Rangers which is killing our game , the talk around Greenock way a few years back when Morton was on the rise & were pushing for promotion was that the owner didn't want to win promotion as he would have to spend money on Cappilow for the entry to the premier league , so the promotion challenge fizzled out & they were content in staying in the championship, that's what we are up against football in this country is dying on it's feet .

dublinbluenose

This could be the chance to bring in a league with full time professional teams only & rid the game of the diddy clubs, possibly have just 1 or 2 leagues, but all full time with grass parks , rid the game of clubs who are only in it for the money & put nothing into the game , lower league clubs like in div 1 & 2 just no ambition happy to go along with the same old same old , the likes of Arbroath, Montrose, Albion Rovers , Forfar these teams have been in the bottom league for years showing no sign of ambition or forward thinking , that's why the game here has gone stale & the corruption is allowed to fester & grow , clubs like these support the status quo only for the pittance they receive for being a member club , remember these clubs get the same vote as Rangers which is killing our game , the talk around Greenock way a few years back when Morton was on the rise & were pushing for promotion was that the owner didn't want to win promotion as he would have to spend money on Cappilow for the entry to the premier league , so the promotion challenge fizzled out & they were content in staying in the championship, that's what we are up against football in this country is dying on it's feet .
Arbroath were in the race for a premiership play off place when the games were stopped because of Covid,Montrose were also in a play off place to get into the championship.

Bluerhap

Never mind. When they go out of business their fans can go down the A75 to watch a properly run club like Stranraer.

DougieJones

How does QOS v Ayr = ‘a mass gathering’? Assuming the players are all virus free, the crowd should be the least of anyone’s concerns. One punter per half stand should do it.

si72

When you jump into with the filth then you have to rot in yer pish stained bedsheet and reap what you sow.

Morty

I’ve long said (easy for me as a Supporter of the biggest club) that some smaller teams should join forces. The Dundee clubs for instance, one club so they can join resources. Jim McLean wasn’t stupid.
There is no rivalry between the two, as demonstrated by the recent vote fiasco so they might as well.

JW1988

There is no rivalry between the two, as demonstrated by the recent vote fiasco so they might as well.
From a competitive perspective, surely pooling their resources and fan base (no laughing at the back) would give them a better chance at some sort of semblance of success?

Valley Bluenose

Dunfermline, releasing 17 players, QoS saying they cant survive with BCD games, Peterhead Chairman suggesting they mothball for the entire season.

They wouldn't need reconstruction, just put any clubs left standing into the top flight. We'd probably only need a 30 game season.:rolleyes:

Coallie

Arbroath were in the race for a premiership play off place when the games were stopped because of Covid,Montrose were also in a play off place to get into the championship.
What I was saying they bring nothing to the table with their couple of hundred fans , don't put nowt into the game take their share of the pot out don't expand our game no benefits of having teams like that as members, I don't see sponsors interested in Arbroath v's so & so or Montrose v's so & so absolutely shouldn't be in the professional set up but hey their vote is worth the same as ours .

Walterego

Official Ticketer
I’ve been saying this for years. Too many teams, and when you add in the Rangers and Celtic effect, Scottish football could do with losing a few. Why the need for two teams in Dundee for a start?!
Aye they should just have one team in that city - it could be called simply - Dundee

prenzlauerbear

Merging clubs doesnt work. Fans walk away from the game.
I'm not sure about that. I get the impression it's more of a hobby for a lot of these fans - local team, something to do on a Saturday etc. - and ultimately they would put their backing behind a merged club if the logic, and to a lesser extent, marketing was handled properly. Basically the opposite of ICT.

I mean, something has to give. It's a difficult topic to broach, but it is utterly apparent that 40+ teams in a country of our size will result in a diluted, ultimately poor product. We are crying out for a root and branch rethink.

FWIW, I remember when the Leipzig investment started here and there were plenty of detractors who said it would never catch on etc. Now, they have a loyal local fanbase and are one of the most respected (but also, paradoxically, hated) teams in the country. The point being that folk can get on board with a new club so long as it's handled properly.

I'm surprised at your attitude after what happened to Rangers. Who were you going to support if we'd went to the wall
Comparing Rangers - literally the greatest football club that has ever existed - with diddy teams in the Scottish third division? Come off it. I know folk will say "their love for their club is the same as yours" but we need to think on a macro level to improve our game long term. From a hard nosed, purely utilitarian perspective, that means there has to be some casualties.

Baloo72

Tales of the blatantly obvious that

Why the hell would the tax payer pay, so that football can be played that nobody can watch?
Nae offence

iaatpies

I'm not sure about that. I get the impression it's more of a hobby for a lot of these fans - local team, something to do on a Saturday etc. - and ultimately they would put their backing behind a merged club if the logic, and to a lesser extent, marketing was handled properly. Basically the opposite of ICT.

I mean, something has to give. It's a difficult topic to broach, but it is utterly apparent that 40+ teams in a country of our size will result in a diluted, ultimately poor product. We are crying out for a root and branch rethink.

FWIW, I remember when the Leipzig investment started here and there were plenty of detractors who said it would never catch on etc. Now, they have a loyal local fanbase and are one of the most respected (but also, paradoxically, hated) teams in the country. The point being that folk can get on board with a new club so long as it's handled properly.

Comparing Rangers - literally the greatest football club that has ever existed - with diddy teams in the Scottish third division? Come off it. I know folk will say "their love for their club is the same as yours" but we need to think on a macro level to improve our game long term. From a hard nosed, purely utilitarian perspective, that means there has to be some casualties.
Nonsense. Absolute bunkum.

Fans of lower league sides love their team just as strongly as you love Rangers. To suggest otherwise is massively disrespectful to them. I know fans who travel the length of Scotland to follow lower league teams, every home and away game. People who volunteer their services every other Saturday for no other reason than they love their club and want to help out.

As for Leipzig? Outside of their own fanbase, RB Leipzig are absolutely despised by fans of every other club in Germany.

carlosapicella

Well said. This guy wasn’t greeting for Partick or Hearts or Stranraer when he voted them down last month was he?

Cut the cord let’s see if he flies by himself
I'm surprised at your attitude after what happened to Rangers. Who were you going to support if we'd went to the wall
Like most of us no one ?why would he support anyone else if they had killed us! interested to find out who you would have given your money to?unless it was the juniors but then again their under SFA rules as any league in Scotland and the SFA were instrumental. In our rape!

prenzlauerbear

Nonsense. Absolute bunkum.

Fans of lower league sides love their team just as strongly as you love Rangers. To suggest otherwise is massively disrespectful to them. I know fans who travel the length of Scotland to follow lower league teams, every home and away game. People who volunteer their services every other Saturday for no other reason than they love their club and want to help out.

As for Leipzig? Outside of their own fanbase, RB Leipzig are absolutely despised by fans of every other club in Germany.
You haven't really addressed anything that I said there, really. I'm not disputing the fact they love their team, I'm making the wider point that for Scottish football to improve — 20/30 years from now or whatever — there has to be fewer clubs. That's the cold, hard reality of it. It's nothing personal. Rangers offer much more to Scottish football than any other club in the country, so it's not comparable. The Leipzig point, you've basically repeated what I wrote but chose to ignore the reason why I brought it up, i.e. - that a new setup will catch on if it's actually well run.

I get the impression you have a soft spot for a local team and it's clouding your view on the matter, so we'll leave it there.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

Like most of us no one ?why would he support anyone else if they had killed us! interested to find out who you would have given your money to?unless it was the juniors but then again their under SFA rules as any league in Scotland and the SFA were instrumental. In our rape!
Renfrew fc would be the only team I would be interested in. As for being under SFA rules, isn't that what Rangers are under at the moment? So, going by your logic, I should have no interest in them either.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

You haven't really addressed anything that I said there, really. I'm not disputing the fact they love their team, I'm making the wider point that for Scottish football to improve — 20/30 years from now or whatever — there has to be fewer clubs. That's the cold, hard reality of it. It's nothing personal. Rangers offer much more to Scottish football than any other club in the country, so it's not comparable. The Leipzig point, you've basically repeated what I wrote but chose to ignore the reason why I brought it up, i.e. - that a new setup will catch on if it's actually well run.

I get the impression you have a soft spot for a local team and it's clouding your view on the matter, so we'll leave it there.
Rangers and them are too big for Scottish football. I cant think of any other country with the same population who have 2 clubs our size.

It would maybe help if this country could start creating top class footballers again. The gap between the old firm and the rest has never been bigger than it is now. It was closer when both had far better teams and class players than what they have now, which tells you just how far standards have dropped.

I understand your looking at it from a business point of view. I was just brought up through a more honest time of football and to be honest, I much preferred it back then. Now it's just a cesspit and not only in this country.

carlosapicella

Renfrew fc would be the only team I would be interested in. As for being under SFA rules, isn't that what Rangers are under at the moment? So, going by your logic, I should have no interest in them either.
No not the point I'm making mate!,I'm making the point that no matter,if you had to support ANY team in Scotland even a pub team they are all under the durisdiction of the SFA,so if they had killed us I would not have given one penny to any of them and that's from a guy who was brought up playing football,supporting the gers since I was 8 and going to many junior games, between cambuslang Rangers,and glencairn,oh and the odd visit to shawfield to see the bully wee,before they were corrupted,I was asking who you would have supported, out of curiosity,wasn't criticism mate,were all entitled to our own opinions,I've no allegiances to anyone English , Spanish ,Italian nowadays only the famous!

iaatpies

You seem to think that lower league fans aren't really football fans. You've said that you reckon it's just something they do on a Saturday afternoon.

If that's your take on lower league football then it's best leaving it there because it's clearly something you know very little about and value even less.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

No not the point I'm making mate!,I'm making the point that no matter,if you had to support ANY team in Scotland even a pub team they are all under the durisdiction of the SFA,so if they had killed us I would not have given one penny to any of them and that's from a guy who was brought up playing football,supporting the gers since I was 8 and going to many junior games, between cambuslang Rangers,and glencairn,oh and the odd visit to shawfield to see the bully wee,before they were corrupted,I was asking who you would have supported, out of curiosity,wasn't criticism mate,were all entitled to our own opinions,I've no allegiances to anyone English , Spanish ,Italian nowadays only the famous!
Sorry. Renfrew are the only other team I would remotely consider. Wouldn't be the same, but at least i have an attachment to them and have been to plenty of their games. Really fond memories of them winning the junior cup. Was a great time for the town.

You have set me thinking though. If for instance, they had a vote in an enquiry, knowing the guys that I do on the committee, they would have voted for it.

Would have been interesting to know if they'd been leaned onto as has obviously happened here. Any half decent journalist i think would have no problem finding out by asking a few questions. After all, the record has no problems writing it's from a source, so that could easily be used.

carlosapicella

Sorry. Renfrew are the only other team I would remotely consider. Wouldn't be the same, but at least i have an attachment to them and have been to plenty of their games. Really fond memories of them winning the junior cup. Was a great time for the town.

You have set me thinking though. If for instance, they had a vote in an enquiry, knowing the guys that I do on the committee, they would have voted for it.

Would have been interesting to know if they'd been leaned onto as has obviously happened here. Any half decent journalist i think would have no problem finding out by asking a few questions. After all, the record has no problems writing it's from a source, so that could easily be used.
Me too ,fond memories of cambuslang Rangers in the junior cup final in the 70's sure they reached 3/4in a row,great days,I'm positive I seen glencairn playing Renfrew at southcroft,nearly 70 now,so may be wrong,sadly we will never no how deep this corruption goes unless we get an inquiry,and we have very very few decent journalists left,it's funny how things change because of people bending the rules to appease one club!never mind Renfrew WATP

Latest posts