Quality Timewasting

I've never understood why keepers are allowed to take it to the opposite side of the 6 yard box for goal kicks?

When the opposition does it we call it cheating and time wasting.
When we do it , it's called great time management.

I vaguely remember keepers having to take it from the side it went out did I make that up?
No that was the rule for many years. It was obviously open to abuse as well as a keeper might choose the wrong side of the goals and more time wasted when the ref made him swap sides. And they always did.

No that was the rule for many years. It was obviously open to abuse as well as a keeper might choose the wrong side of the goals and more time wasted when the ref made him swap sides. And they always did.
Thought that was the case. Wondered why it changed it seems like it should be the obvious rule.

When the opposition does it we call it cheating and time wasting.
When we do it , it's called great time management.
What Kelly was doing last week was the worst I’ve seen.
Cheating of the highest order.
Not the time it took to get the ball back in play from a goal kick, we’ve all seen that almost every week.
What I’m referring to was when he had the ball in his hands and it’s “still in play”.
Only it isn’t because you can’t tackle him to win it back.
It’s a dead ball.
There used to be a four step rule for the keeper which was replaced by a six second rule, I think it was.
Kelly was regularly taking twenty to thirty seconds to release the ball.
I don’t know how this “tactic” will be addressed when the sixty minutes in play rule comes along because, technically, the ball is still in play.

Mcgregor would be proud.

mcgregors finest is running to get the ball at billboards but kicking it ‘by accident’ as if he’s tripped into it and it goes over the boards.

it’s like an actual game to him haha
He was ‘jogging’ to quickly to take the goal kick.

Love MacGregors small step ‘run’ where he's actually moving slower than he would be if he was just walking.B-D

The reason why we’ll have an hours playing time fairly soon, instead of the current nonsense.
There's ways and means of running the clock down tactically on the park, that being said the more clowns like that keeper get away with it the more it'll happen.

There's ways and means of running the clock down tactically on the park, that being said the more clowns like that keeper get away with it the more it'll happen.
If it’s on the park and the ball is in play, how can time be wasted?
Providing the referee is doing his bit

If it’s on the park and the ball is in play, how can time be wasted?
Providing the referee is doing his bit
I'm meaning running the clock down tactically, in the corners, ball possession etc, I understand what you are saying and agree with you, Shagger is well capable of stealing a few seconds here and there when needed but not to the extent of Kelly last week or the OP.. only way to stop it is to stop the clock when ball goes out of play, thats never going to happen. Refs need to be stronger now that its happening week in week out.

I've only just begun to notice that McGregor's best tactic is to start his time-wasting by heading straight to one of the officials, preferably a referee's assistant, and having a go at them for something. That then gets the attention of the ref and he has a go at them. Only after that does he start his journey to get the ball back into play.

This wee time-waster has a long way to go to get to those skill levels. McGregor is a game management Jedi.

It could be stopped overnight if referees take appropriate action. That Motherwell keeper last week; does it once warn him, does a second time book him, does it again and he’s off. If referees applied this approach it would soon stop. It might be part of the game as things stand but football is supposed to be entertaining and there should be no place for cheating.

It could be stopped overnight if referees take appropriate action. That Motherwell keeper last week; does it once warn him, does a second time book him, does it again and he’s off. If referees applied this approach it would soon stop. It might be part of the game as things stand but football is supposed to be entertaining and there should be no place for cheating.
100% agree. I’m not paying 30 quid a game or whatever it is to watch some wee provincial jobbing goalie walk slowly along his 6 yard box before taking a goal kick.

I'm meaning running the clock down tactically, in the corners, ball possession etc, I understand what you are saying and agree with you, Shagger is well capable of stealing a few seconds here and there when needed but not to the extent of Kelly last week or the OP.. only way to stop it is to stop the clock when ball goes out of play, thats never going to happen. Refs need to be stronger now that its happening week in week out.
I read a piece in the last fortnight that says FIFA have a proposal already on their desk.
Sixty minutes ball in play time.
Downside is, with Motherwell and their ilk, an evening game won’t finish till midnight!

One of the things that irk me more than anything regarding this is the lack of criticism levied at those partaking in it.
I can readily accept that Motherwell and Livingston etc. have no obligation to entertain the Rangers support but football would die out if they continue this elsewhere.
Those moral guardians of the game are very quick to slate Rangers for their “parking the bus” approach at Old Trafford in particular.
I also remember them being very quick to quote Messi’s “anti football” jibe after our game against Barcelona.
Wasn’t quite a consistent approach there was it.
In saying that, they didn’t as much as credit the original author of “anti-football”, one Frank Rijkard who, as Barcelona manager, made this statement some years earlier when is opponents deployed a similar tactic to what we used against Messi’s team.
Of course, that Rijkard was complaining about Celtic had nothing to do with the lack of publicity it got.

the only way to deal with time wasting is simple, adopt the NFL policy, when the ball is out of play etc the clock is automatically stopped.

Blyth is a pretty big deal over there with the Geordies. My sister lives there and my brother in law never misses a game

It’s actually FC uniteds ground in the clip, but Blyth have pulled 5 1000+ crowds so far this season at home. Some Scottish sides would kill for that.

Back