Queens Park Going Full Time

Camby loyalist

A friend of mine is on the board there, he was telling me yesterday that due to being shafted by the SFA re Hampden they are no having a vote whether or not they should go full time, he is firmly against the idea but reckons they might have no choice.

Pretty sad tbh.

A friend of mine is on the board there, he was telling me yesterday that due to being shafted by the SFA re Hampden they are no having a vote whether or not they should go full time, he is firmly against the idea but reckons they might have no choice.

Pretty sad tbh.
anything that lot touches breaks, I feel for Queens.

Sorry epic fail I mean professional.

Going full-time is huge risk and while going professional isn't much better however I sure that has always been in the background even before the SFA issue with Hampden

I don't doubt for moment any decision end their amatuer status would taken lightly either

They are going professional same as other clubs in league 2 , not full time, not all clubs in league 1 and championship are full time never mind league 2 , but it could cripple them , used Hampden as the lure to attract players but without that then money talks sadly at that level

perhaps they should come out and clarify clearly and concisely,just how they have been shafted by the governing body,all done of course in connivance with the guy who just happens to hold the deeds for the piggery,come on queens ,lets get it all out in the open

What are the connotations of this??

I always thought going professional or full time would be seen as the club growing.

They’ve been amateur for their whole existence (since 1867), their Latin motto 'Ludere Causa Ludendi' means 'To Play for the Sake of Playing'.

It’s a really big thing for them, it’s what makes them unique from basically any other team in the world that plays in professional leagues.

It’d be a real shame if it happened, imo.

They’ve been amateur for their whole existence (since 1867), their Latin motto 'Ludere Causa Ludendi' means 'To Play for the Sake of Playing'.

It’s a really big thing for them, it’s what makes them unique from basically any other team in the world that plays in professional leagues.

It’d be a real shame if it happened, imo.
That's modern day capitalism for you.

How have they been shafted by the SFA? I remember reading something from one of the board members (can't remember the details :rolleyes: ) to the effect that they would be considering this but it was for positive reasons, albeit it presented a dilemma given their pride in their longstanding amateurism.

Lived in the Glasgow area most of my life and I have never met a Queens Park fan or Albion Rovers fan. I assumed they are like unicorns!!
If they both disappeared I couldn’t care less.

Lived in the Glasgow area most of my life and I have never met a Queens Park fan or Albion Rovers fan. I assumed they are like unicorns!!

I went to Queens Park v Edinburgh City at Hampden inJanuary. (Trying to do a bit of ground hopping on a Saturday if Rangers aren’t at home).

There’s a band of hardy QP fans who take it ver seriously indeed.

Quite enjoyed it, would go back.

Surely going full time is far more expensive than being part timers?
I meant professional, the reason they aren't happy because 95% of any budget they have as an amateur team goes to youth development now it will have to be going towards wages. Youth development will suffer big time.

I meant professional, the reason they aren't happy because 95% of any budget they have as an amateur team goes to youth development now it will have to be going towards wages. Youth development will suffer big time.

So they will be a part time? Never realised they were hamstrung like that because of their amateur status.

QPs history in Scottish football is very interesting and they kicked it all off.

Queen’s Park’s amateur status and the fact they played at Hampden has always been a great quirky piece of history in Scottish football.

They invest the majority of their income on their youth system, something most teams badly neglect or under-utilise.

The current custodians of the game have let them down.

The only plus I can see, is that with the right strategy they can maybe push to the championship one day.

They have in the past assembled really good sides, only for full time teams to cherry pick their best players eg the season we were in Div 3, they had Robertson and Shankland and others who left. If it weren’t for our presence they would have been promoted that year.

There is a vote next month to go professional (part time of course). 75% of members need to vote in favour. Majority of fans seem to be in favour, and I haven't seen anyone complain that the SFA has 'shafted' them in any way.

Is it not because they are now fearful of falling out of the league - they need to compete to ensure they don’t drop to the lowland league like eg East Stirling?

I wonder how the landscape of Scottish football would’ve changed if they went professional all those years ago

I saw a full family in AR colours just a few weeks ago, in Dumbarton.

In the 5 years that I lived in Airdrie and the surrounding areas, I never saw one.

I went to Queens Park v Edinburgh City at Hampden inJanuary. (Trying to do a bit of ground hopping on a Saturday if Rangers aren’t at home).

There’s a band of hardy QP fans who take it ver seriously indeed.

Quite enjoyed it, would go back.

Every now and again I see a small band of Queens Park fans congregating at the Battlefield Rest, their supporters bus must pick up there.

QPs history in Scottish football is very interesting and they kicked it all off.

Queen’s Park’s amateur status and the fact they played at Hampden has always been a great quirky piece of history in Scottish football.

They invest the majority of their income on their youth system, something most teams badly neglect or under-utilise.

The current custodians of the game have let them down.

The only plus I can see, is that with the right strategy they can maybe push to the championship one day.

They have in the past assembled really good sides, only for full time teams to cherry pick their best players eg the season we were in Div 3, they had Robertson and Shankland and others who left. If it weren’t for our presence they would have been promoted that year.
Did sir Alex not start off there?

Pretty sad tbh.
good about time there a leech of a club who have lived of other teams money for over a 100 years hope they go out of business soon

oh dear somebody pump your wife cough cough there a scummy club who have gave this country nothing, when Ibrox was being used for internationals when their dump was getting renovated their 500 so called supporters asked for a boycott so whose the prick

“Gave this country nothing”.

That statement alone is so idiotic and false that the rest of your nonsense post isn’t even worth considering.

“Gave this country nothing”.

That statement alone is so idiotic and false that the rest of your nonsense post isn’t even worth considering.
and yet you felt the need to respond so is was worth responding then, you have shown yourself to be idiotic as im sure you on reflection will agree lol

and yet you felt the need to respond so is was worth responding then, you have shown yourself to be idiotic as im sure you on reflection will agree lol

You clearly didn’t read my post, or you’re just a bit simple.

I hope for your sake it’s the former, though I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the latter.

There was a time when Rangers picked up some right good players who had been with QP. Players such as Ian McColl and Sammy Cox (Cox may not have come direct from QP to Rangers. Both of them were stalwarts in the Scottish team. I liked a wee guy called Derek Grierson, who was a regular scorer. However, not every signing was successful as older blokes like myself can confirm, if the name John Valentine springs to mind.

Queen's spend a lot of their money on youth development. They have a good system and have produced a number of players that have moved on to other clubs, for free. The Hampden money subsidies this. By turning pro they can sign youths on contracts and get a trsnsfer/development fee.
The recommendation from the QP committee is to go pro.

Interesting stuff.

The decision of Queens to remain an amateur team in the early twentieth century is one of the most moments in British footballing history. The football landscape in this country, and Glasgow in particular, would be very different if they'd turned professional.

Interestingly, Queens have won the Scottish cup 10 times which is more than any club other than us or the Tims. The last time they won it was 1893 though.

They also got to the final of the FA Cup twice.

Interesting stuff.

The decision of Queens to remain an amateur team in the early twentieth century is one of the most moments in British footballing history. The football landscape in this country, and Glasgow in particular, would be very different if they'd turned professional.

Maybe the population of Glasgow and its surrounding areas would have had a different slant to it in terms of football allegiances; a rough three way split between us, Septic and the Spiders. Maybe even Third Lanark too. I wish Queens Park well, whatever they decide.

Interestingly, Queens have won the Scottish cup 10 times which is more than any club other than us or the Tims. The last time they won it was 1893 though.

They also got to the final of the FA Cup twice.
Yeah, the 3rd most successful club in Scottish football and they've won nothing in over 120 years. Says a lot about the rest of the teams

Utterly amazed to hear a football fan say this; even more amazed it's coming from a Rangers fan.
Simple maths. There’s probably 500,00 people in the greater Glasgow area. Of which, how many support Queens Park and Albion Rovers? At tops 2,000??? Your guess is as good as mine.

Simple maths. There’s probably 500,00 people in the greater Glasgow area. Of which, how many support Queens Park and Albion Rovers? At tops 2,000??? Your guess is as good as mine.

I was referring to the section where you said you couldn't care less about whether they went out of business or not. Staggering apathy from a fellow Rangers fan.

Back