Question for older bears

cairngorm

No idea why it came into my mind but can anyone remember big Dave McPherson going on a run and chipping the goalie v Hibs (I think)
Turning round to celebrate in front of the main stand only for the wind or something stop the ball going in?
Think he was still celebrating while everyone was howling with laughter, I’d hazard a guess at 85-86

Post 27

No idea why it came into my mind but can anyone remember big Dave McPherson going on a run and chipping the goalie v Hibs (I think)
Turning round to celebrate in front of the main stand only for the wind or something stop the ball going in?
Think he was still celebrating while everyone was howling with laughter, I’d hazard a guess at 85-86
i remember this. i was at the front of the Enclosure and thought it was in too

Remember it well, Govan rear that day and even though we thought it was a goal we couldn't help but have a laugh at big slim turning to celebrate his effort.

Big hen Broon,I remember a cup game away to Morton when he burst open an ex Rangers players nose with his elbow and never even got booked,Anybody put a name to the nose ? .

I must have been standing near you. My recollection is that the ball looked as if it was going in but it bounced in the penalty area. Big Davie turned and started celebrating. Unfortunately the ball must have had a spin on it because as it hit the pitch, it changed direction slightly to take it just past the far post. I cannot say who were the opposition but I am sure they deserved to lose.

I remember him going on a run and curling one LEFT FOOTED into the corner of the net. Copland/Govan post. That was his second stint with us though. Vs Hearts as well.

I only have bad memories of him. Hamilton in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox, the Ally Maxwell fiasco in the final another season.

glasgow-rangers-european-stars-ian-durrant-21865204.jpg.webp

My memory is a wee bit different. It was St Mirren at Love Street. He beat about five men, rounded the keeper at the edge of the box, stroked the ball towards the goal, and turned away to celebrate. But it was winter time and the pitch was muddy and heavy, about five feet from the goal the ball was slowing down, two feet it was nearly stopped. That's when the St Mirren defender arrived and cleared the ball. Big Devie, was back in the centre circle by then, red faced. We still won the game.

Souness didn't fancy him and punted him to Hearts. One of the first thing Walter did when he took over from Souness was to bring him back at the start of season 92-93.
The big man was an almost ever present in that treble winning team. Under rated and a Pollok lad that got to live the dream. From memory I'm sure he was recommended to Rangers at first by Billy Davies who played in the same youth team together.

So far we've had Big Sadie, Big Hen Broon, and Bambi...I always knew him as Big Daphne McPherson.
His mullet perm was like a bunch of grapes hanging at the back of his head.

And take no notice of those saying he was under rated. He was crap.

So far we've had Big Sadie, Big Hen Broon, and Bambi...I always knew him as Big Daphne McPherson.
His mullet perm was like a bunch of grapes hanging at the back of his head.

And take no notice of those saying he was under rated. He was crap.
He was hardly crap ffs , maybe not everyone’s favourite obviously, but he was a reliable defender who knew how to defend…

First time I’ve heard him called Big Daphne haha

Souness didn't fancy him and punted him to Hearts. One of the first thing Walter did when he took over from Souness was to bring him back at the start of season 92-93.
The big man was an almost ever present in that treble winning team. Under rated and a Pollok lad that got to live the dream. From memory I'm sure he was recommended to Rangers at first by Billy Davies who played in the same youth team together.
An ever present in a treble winning team that went 44 matches unbeaten and unbeaten in the first ever champions league, including beating the EPL champions in the playoff round home and away.

But some on FF have decided he was “ shit” !

Jesus Christ. B-D

big Dave on his return to Rangers that morning the pass back rule to the keeper changed and I said to my mate thank God we do not have Dave McPherson now and we sign him later that day? he had good games at times

He was never a favourite of mine but by God he wasn't the worst I've seen.
A decent player and a decent lad from a good Pollok family.

He wasn't good enough after Souness took over, and we would never have re-signed him had it not been for the 3 foreigner (8 diddies) rule in Europe at the time.

I must have been standing near you. My recollection is that the ball looked as if it was going in but it bounced in the penalty area. Big Davie turned and started celebrating. Unfortunately the ball must have had a spin on it because as it hit the pitch, it changed direction slightly to take it just past the far post. I cannot say who were the opposition but I am sure they deserved to lose.
Yes that sounds right to me. At the Broomloan end, with the ball going past the Govan side goal.

woukd have been an amazing goal.

They were also in the same year at Crookston Castle Secondary School and in many of the same subject classes, I know because, I was too.

Last edited:
Back