Quintin Young compares this current squad with the heroes of '73

mdingwall

Administrator
xQMKBYA.jpg

whpovjs.jpg

Cutty was a great player for us over 73-75 and was right up there in the big games - often did well against Celtic too.
Scored some great goals: Dundee Utd scot cup 73 at Ibrox, v Motherwell away 74, First Premier League game v Celtic.
Had a fine game in my own favourite game , 73 cup final.

A brave man - disagreeing with Jock Wallace!(Incidentally, the linesman in the photograph looks mightily pissed off. The grandfather of Don Robertson?)

Hard to believe Rangers won 16 league games in a row in the 72-73 season yet finished 2nd.
Had a look into this further. The winning run started on 23rd December.
In the first 5 league games Rangers lost 3 away from home and the 6th game was a home draw against Morton. So 5 points from a possible 12. A very poor start.

The crowds are interesting.
First Old firm game was at Parkhead with 50,416. Thats very low considering it was the 3rd game of the season. Maybe school uniforms were extortionate even in those days!!
Return game at Ibrox in Jan crowd was 72,000.
Second highest of the season was 51,000 against Hibs at Ibrox and highest away other than Parkhead was 33,000 at Easter Road.
A couple of home game crowds were 14,500, against Dumbarton and Kilmarnock.
Hearts and Aberdeen at Ibrox, 26 and 27,000.

Interestingly in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup Rangers drew 1-1 with Hibs at Ibrox with a crowd of 63,889 and won the replay 2-1 at Easter Road in front of 49,000.
Of course the legendary 73 final Rangers beat Celtic 3-2 in front of 122,714.

Not just a quick skilful player with an eye for goal. He took no shìt either and gave it back to any defenders who tried to kick him out the game.

I liked Young, it was a bolt from the blue when he suddenly left. And almost as big a surprise who he went to.

He was always a favourite of mine back then and I have nothing but good memories of Cutty. Thanks for posting this.

Cutty was a great old style winger. Playing for Ayr he was by far, at the time, one of the best players in the league. He improved at Rangers and had some great games for us. Injuries curtailed his career later on. He's still a massive Rangers fan.

Hard to believe Rangers won 16 league games in a row in the 72-73 season yet finished 2nd.
Had a look into this further. The winning run started on 23rd December.
In the first 5 league games Rangers lost 3 away from home and the 6th game was a home draw against Morton. So 5 points from a possible 12. A very poor start.

The crowds are interesting.
First Old firm game was at Parkhead with 50,416. Thats very low considering it was the 3rd game of the season. Maybe school uniforms were extortionate even in those days!!
Return game at Ibrox in Jan crowd was 72,000.
Second highest of the season was 51,000 against Hibs at Ibrox and highest away other than Parkhead was 33,000 at Easter Road.
A couple of home game crowds were 14,500, against Dumbarton and Kilmarnock.
Hearts and Aberdeen at Ibrox, 26 and 27,000.

Interestingly in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup Rangers drew 1-1 with Hibs at Ibrox with a crowd of 63,889 and won the replay 2-1 at Easter Road in front of 49,000.
Of course the legendary 73 final Rangers beat Celtic 3-2 in front of 122,714.
First OF game was played at Hampden with an early ko, can't remember if it was 12 noon or 1pm. We lost 3-1 with John Greig our scorer.

After beating Dundee 2-1 at Dens Park in March 1975 (the game Colin Stein
got sent off) the football special arrived back at Queen Street and the crowd
spilled onto the streets of Glasgow. Who should we bump into but non other
than Quinton Young who was more than happy to join in the sing song. B-)

I always used to see his first name spelled 'Quinton' but I've got the vague idea that there was some debate about it.

Good friend of Cuttys he worked for family Business for around 2/3 Year, always said to the misses if we’re down by (Drongan ) I’ll pop in & see him :pB-D

First OF game was played at Hampden with an early ko, can't remember if it was 12 noon or 1pm. We lost 3-1 with John Greig our scorer.
It was 12 noon, my first ever Old Firm game and after hearing so much about the atmosphere it was quite a let down. Felt surreal going to any game at 12 noon right enough, I believe that was the first ever.

I loved his name, it had an old fashioned ring to it and with those sideburns, he was always going to fit into our team.

He played in one of the greatest Scottish Cup final victories for Rangers (I was there!) and that goal against Celtic is the stuff of boyhood dreams. I suppose we'll never know why he fell out with big Jock, but he must have had some strength of character to stand up for himself against the great man.

I hope he has many more years following the Rangers and doesn't over do it when we clinch the 55.

Young's goal in the 2-1 victory at Ibrox over Celtic is my fondest memory of him.
Only Allan McGregor of the current team would get into the 1973 team IMO, worlds apart, but we are good enough to win this year's title.

Back