Quite simply, we are an exceptional football team right now!

We’re playing like a top 20/25 in the whole of Europe right now IMO.

We’ve got a squad that allows us so much tactical flexibility and we’ve got players who’re able to carry it out to the letter.

The midfield v Benfica and the midfield today were very different but both worked perfectly for what was needed on the day.

We’re amazing to watch right now.

we have built something very impressive - the numbers so far this season don’t lie...

3 things really really impress me

- we COMPLETELY control games we are in due to what Stevie would say “ playing our game “ , we dictate the tempo and have developed the skill of knowing when to let a team have it and then when to press and get the ball back quickly ..” laying traps “ I believe the pros call it ;)

- I know it’s been purred about a lot recently but our shape + movement is exceptional , all players interlink apart from the 2 centre half’s and the 1 holding mid , everyone else is so fluid , at one point in the first half today kent and Morelos were deep and Arfield aribo were further up ,this must be chaos to defend against - Aberdeen then had centre half’s further forward than midfielders who then were in positions they didn’t want to be in , really impressive

- we are developing the real sign of champions , ruthlessness !!!

... aye we are no bad !!!

I just cant get my head around how little our defensive record is being spoke about in the press.

15 league games played and in 14 of those, no opposition player has scored against us!!

If that was the filth producing that stat, the media would be creaming themselves over it.

Gerrard and the coaching team have clearly learned from last season and have used the time away to really address the issues and we are thriving.

Firstly we now have the level of depth needed to maintain the high standards for the entire season. If we have 4 or 5 players out or players go off form it is not big deal because we have quality replacements that fit seamlessly into the system and are desperate to get a starting place.

Defensively we have improved dramatically, it starts with our front 3 who are as hard working as any in the league and press to immediately get the ball back. If teams break on us we tactical foul and stop them getting near our goal.

The other huge improvement is we are no longer relying on Morelos, previously our entire system was built around him and when he went off form we struggled. Now Morelos is playing almost a Firminho role where he drops deep allowing our other forwards and midfielders to run in behind. Teams can no longer just park the bus because they cannot cope with the rotation and movement and we are now regularly getting goals throughout the team.

I agree this is the most exciting team since the McLeish treble season but the big difference is this is still a young team that will just get better and better

Gerrard and the coaching team have clearly learned from last season and have used the time away to really address the issues and we are thriving.

Firstly we now have the level of depth needed to maintain the high standards for the entire season. If we have 4 or 5 players out or players go off form it is not big deal because we have quality replacements that fit seamlessly into the system and are desperate to get a starting place.

Defensively we have improved dramatically, it starts with our front 3 who are as hard working as any in the league and press to immediately get the ball back. If teams break on us we tactical foul and stop them getting near our goal.

The other huge improvement is we are no longer relying on Morelos, previously our entire system was built around him and when he went off form we struggled. Now Morelos is playing almost a Firminho role where he drops deep allowing our other forwards and midfielders to run in behind. Teams can no longer just park the bus because they cannot cope with the rotation and movement and we are now regularly getting goals throughout the team.

I agree this is the most exciting team since the McLeish treble season but the big difference is this is still a young team that will just get better and better
this is the best thing for me. At times last season I would ask myself why Gerrard was watching what we all were, and couldn't seem to address the way we'd be so pedestrian and predictable in possession.
He saw it and he's acted on, what a wonderful difference it is.

My only minor point is that we are still slightly wasteful - we could've had a several 8-0s this season, including today if we hadn't eased up a bit. but that feels really churlish.

Agree completely.

The work rate, the transitions, the pressing, the rotation up front, the passing in midfield, it’s an absolute joy to watch this side. And I haven’t even mentioned our defence.

For the first time since Advocaat’s days, I’m going into matches knowing we’re going to win. Not hoping, knowing.
Totally agree but more to the point I need to know how you’re getting in to matches ya bass ;)

Another thing we have improved on is changing possession into actual chances and not just keeping the ball for the sake of it.

The players are well drilled in what to do and there is a connection between them. There was one play in the second half where we were passing it between the midfield defence and back, with the midfielders on the halfway line, then a couple of passes later, the midfield are halfway in their half and the centre halfs are sat on the halfway line. Simple quick passing and the whole unit has moved up the pitch with ease.

It's hard to know what our best 11is cannot ever remember in over 50 years of supporting Rangers being able to say that.

was a bit I took notice of when watching the highlights that I missed in the game. At 4 nil up the Aberdeen player just ushering it out for the goal kick. 3 players chasing it putting him under pressure to get something from it. It's no coincidence that teams who generally win things work harder than others. That was all that was. Working that bit harder just in case they could change it.

For me it's all about our movement in the final third. Guys like Kent, Aribo, Roofe, Alfie, Hagi and Arfield. The opposition seem overwhelmed by it at present. They also have to worry about the danger of leaving Barisic and Tav unattended as well. Solid in the middle and sound at the back.

The defence and midfield have performed well all season. Eventually, in the last could of games, the forwards found some form.

Hence, we just batter teams. If we can get the best striker in the country back to top form we will be unbeatable.

Back